Lesson with Diliberto

thepavlos

Verified Member
From
BOSTON, MA
Hi
The other day I took lessons from Danny Diliberto at Brighton Billiards and it was definititely money well spent for what I got from it. Danny is a very good teacher and is full of entertaining stories. Just giving everyone a fair warning though if my stroke and technique catch up to my knowledge now you guys are going to be soooo screwed.
Take care
Paul

70niner

Verified Member
Action at Santa Cruz

Action at Santa Cruz

:D Has anyone heard about the time John Hendersen played lettuce larry from santa cruz a while back. Some guy they still call Kentucky was backing the game and he got upset over not getting paid and almost drove his van through the front door of Fast Eddys over in Santa Cruz. I would love to hear the story from John Hendersen. Do you remember the time John?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
70niner said:
:D Has anyone heard about the time John Hendersen played lettuce larry from santa cruz a while back. Some guy they still call Kentucky was backing the game and he got upset over not getting paid and almost drove his van through the front door of Fast Eddys over in Santa Cruz. I would love to hear the story from John Hendersen. Do you remember the time John?
I remember. Kentucky & Dick, the owner of Fast Eddies were staking Larry. I can't even remember who won, but there was a disagreement over the $$ count between Dick & Kentucky. Kentucky left and drove his van halfway through the front door without breaking anything. They kissed and made up a long time ago.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was fortunate to spend about 5 hours literally locked up in a poolroom with Danny on Wed afternoon -- the owner let us in and then left, locking the door on the way out! We played One Pocket, with him explaining all the shot selection questions that came up -- showing the the right way to hit the shots. Plus of course he tried to help me on my basic fundamentals -- even though I told him it was too late to save me :)

He told a ton of stories, some of which you will eventually get a chance to read either in his upcoming book, or maybe even a couple in the interview I got with him for OnePocket.org :)

He told one about Larry Lisciotti, when the two of them were in Vegas together for one of the Stardust events. They weren't staying at the main venue, they were in a little hotel just up the road, but a long walk at that time of year -- March in Vegas not being the greatest weather. Danny had made a big score at the craps table and Larry wasn't doing so well, so they're walking and shivering in the middle of the night and they go to walk by one of the hotel pools which catches their attention. So Danny says to Larry, there's 200 for you if you jump in. So Larry jumps in clothes and all and comes out all dripping wet, and they're laughing it up, then Danny fesses up, You know, I was going to give you the 200 anyway. So Larry fesses up and says And I was going to jump in anyway!

Danny will be around Boston for another 5-6 days anyway, and he is a terrific teacher and of course an entertaining story-teller as well. If you're anywhere around, I'd strongly suggest you give World Class in Saugus a call at 978-535-7000 or Brighton Billiards at 617-787-2610

chief

Verified Member
DD is a hell of a guy,and doesnt mind sharing a wealth of knowledge,,I spent many afternoons watching him play 1 hole,he played out of a joint called Pegs in S. Miami,him and a guy named Dan Carlson would put a show on calling there shot and explaining it after every move,I guess you could say I got free lessons.

yobagua

Diliberto is one of the most complete sports person I know. Knowledgeable, lots of heart, and a great human being. I seen him plenty of times in Hollywood when he was on the road. 14.1, 9 ball, one hole, anything. A true champ.

By the way Steve you failed to list the proper phone number for Frank at the Carolinas tournament. Where is Goldsboro and Fast Eddies?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
yobagua said:
Diliberto is one of the most complete sports person I know. Knowledgeable, lots of heart, and a great human being. I seen him plenty of times in Hollywood when he was on the road. 14.1, 9 ball, one hole, anything. A true champ.

By the way Steve you failed to list the proper phone number for Frank at the Carolinas tournament. Where is Goldsboro and Fast Eddies?
Thanks for pointing that out -- for some reason I dropped the last digit! Frank is the contact person, and his number prior to the event is 252-756-8040. He'll be at the room once it gets started on the 17th at (919) 759-0071.

As far as where that is, I am not familiar -- try Mapquest maybe?

Keith McCready

Verified Member
One-pocket and 9-ball tournaments at Fast Eddie's Sports Bar & Grill, 1308 Parkway Drive, Goldsboro, North Carolina 27530.

The tournamaent director is Buxton Turner, but for more information, call Frank Owens, (252) 756-8040, before August 17th. After August 17th, call (919) 795-0071.

Hotel special rate is $62 per night at Holiday Inn Express, 909 North Spence Avenue, Goldsboro, North Carolina, (919) 751-1999 -- [Highway 70 bypass, take Best Road/Spence Avenue Exist].

The pool room is located in the back of a shopping center on the left-hand side of Parkway Drive.

My girlfriend's picture page from last year's 2003 Carolinas Open:

2003 Carolinas Open

Gene Hooker and Frank Owens...

Keith McCready

Verified Member
Double D

Double D

I sort of remember that story about Danny and Larry. When you're busted in Las Vegas, $200 is like the world! :D

I wish they would let Danny do more commentary on the pool circuit because he has a lot of knowledge about the game and words everything very well. Let's not forget he can still play! ;)

Last DCC, Jimmy Mataya was MIA one afternoon, and they asked me to come up to the booth and provide the commentary for Jose Parica and Shannon Daulton playing one-pocket on the TV table. They were squeezing each other and it was hard to commentate on it at the beginning of their match. This is where Danny shines. He is never at a loss for words and knows all games well.

Me and Danny go way back, and we've actually played a few times ourselves. I've always had a great deal of respect for Danny's game. In his heyday, he was right up there with all of the great players in the all-around competitions, going back to the days of Eddie Kelly and Luther Lassiter. He has that unique style about him, and he's a one-pocket machine. His best game used to be straight pool, but as the times have changed, he's still able to keep up with the best of 'em. :)