Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Houston_ron_1966
    Ok what makes you the smartest onepocket player in the world

A fair question....Since you're a new member, and may not have seen previous posts of mine, I'll semi-answer it by referring you back to a post I made some weeks ago - And at the bottom of this post is a link to a longer post that I wrote last March about playing perfect/correct One Pocket.....

Hiya Gerry..........Complete, correct, one pocket play, is a matrix - to play one pocket at it's optimum level, is not to play any 'ONE WAY' - anybody doing that is too one dimensional.......To play one pocket correctly, every time you come to the table for your inning, you should have EVERY strategy, EVERY playing style, and EVERY option in your mind to choose from - all depending on what is the optimum choice for that particular situation....The second part is to identify the best choice and execute it - and that correct choice in any and every inning may be very aggressive or very safe, but whichever choice you make, it shouldn't be determined by your emotions or personality, it should be determined by an accurate assessment of ALL contributing factors: opponents tendencies/shot-making/pressure-handling, score, ball layout, table conditions, whose break it was, etc. etc......Sorry if I sound 'very sure of myself', but this is the way to play complete, optimum, one pocket....

....I wrote a lot more about this in a thread that I posted last March - here's the link in case you didn't see it, and would like to >>> http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1501
    jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Since 'Houston_ron_1966' has pm'd me a couple of times re. this topic, I'm going to make another post here....

....Ultimate One Pocket 'smartness/genius' when in a game and coming to the table for your inning, is simply defined by just two things, in this order :

1. Visualization = Viewing the table layout/situation and seeing EVERY possible, viable, shot choice option that exists --- Knowledge, Experience, and Imagination/Creativity are the tools needed for this step.

2. Choosing the very best option after having taken into account every contributing factor/result probability = balls gained vs. balls lost %, ball score, opponent's ability and tendencies, your ability/likelihood % to execute the shot, etc. etc. --- Knowledge, Experience, and Level-headedness are the tools needed for this step.

So, that said, the Smartest (NOT NECESSARILY BEST) One Pocket player in the world, is the player out of all One Pocket players, who can best visualize the table and options to the fullest degree, and who also makes the correct/best shot choice a greater percentage of the time than all other One Pocket players....Who is that player ?....

....Efren ?.....Freddy might think it's him, I might think it's me, Grady, Billy Incardona, Scott Frost, Alan Hopkins, Ike, and Steve Booth might think it's them.......We'll never know the answer - it can't be incontestably proven.
      Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

On track perception, Ghost

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost
        Since 'Houston_ron_1966' has pm'd me a couple of times re. this topic, I'm going to make another post here....

....Ultimate One Pocket 'smartness/genius' when in a game and coming to the table for your inning, is simply defined by just two things, in this order :

1. Visualization = Viewing the table layout/situation and seeing EVERY possible, viable, shot choice option that exists --- Knowledge, Experience, and Imagination are the tools needed for this step.

2. Choosing the very best option after having taken into account every contributing factor/result probability = balls gained vs. balls lost %, ball score, opponent's ability and tendencies, your ability/likelihood % to execute the shot, etc. etc. --- Knowledge, Experience, and Level-headedness are the tools needed for this step.

So, that said, the Smartest (NOT NECESSARILY BEST) One Pocket player in the world, is the player out of all One Pocket players, who can best visualize the table and options to the fullest degree, and who also makes the correct/best shot choice a greater percentage of the time than all other One Pocket players....Who is that player ?....

....Efren ?.....Freddy might think it's him, I might think it's me, Grady, Billy Incardona, Scott Frost, Alan Hopkins, Ike, and Steve Booth might think it's them.......We'll never know the answer - it can't be incontestably proven.

Good description of whats required, Ghost, but you might scare off a few with the enormity of the task.

the Beard
        New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
        www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

I gotta think Grady is pretty smart in strategic play but I never saw a better offensive player than Ronnie. Who is/was the best clutch banker?
          DeeMan

Comment

Originally posted by fred bentivegna
            Good description of whats required, Ghost.

the Beard
            Thanks, Freddy.

but you might scare off a few with the enormity of the task.

the Beard

That's ok Freddy - We don't want no cowards with us in the 'One Pocket foxhole' !

Comment

Bugs

Originally posted by Deeman
              I gotta think Grady is pretty smart in strategic play but I never saw a better offensive player than Ronnie. Who is/was the best clutch banker?

As Grady will also attest to, Bugs made horrific bank shots in the end game.

the Beard
              Last edited by fred bentivegna; 01-28-2008, 07:16 PM.
              New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
              www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

As Grady will also attest to, Bugs mad horrific bank shots in the end game.

the Beard
                I have to admit I've seen you make some "impossible" banks as well. I am getting ready to order your DVD's on "Banks that don't go- but do" so I can make a couple of 'em, on occasion! Nice seeing you at Derby City...
                DeeMan

Comment

Originally posted by Deeman
                  I have to admit I've seen you make some "impossible" banks as well. I am getting ready to order your DVD's on "Banks that don't go- but do" so I can make a couple of 'em, on occasion! Nice seeing you at Derby City...

both the dvd's are definitely worth the money. i've only had time to watch them once and learned a bunch. i even used a few of the shots in a one pocket game saturday night, they don't come up exact (of course) so improvisation was necessary, but i nailed 2 out of 4 pretty; and at least got the balls near my pocket + safe . thanks fred.

Comment

First, Artie Bodendorfer and then me.

the Beard
                    Is this "no brag, just fact" Freddy?

Cowboy "thread resurrecter" Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis
                      Is this "no brag, just fact" Freddy?

Cowboy "thread resurrecter" Dennis
                      I wish Artie would come back to post. I could understand his thoughts and philosophy about the game. I have a few question to ask him now that I am a bit more experienced at 1p.

Skin
                      Skin

"It's easy!" - Coach Acosta, former Mexican pro, instructing his 10 y/o little leaguers

Comment

Originally posted by Skin
                        I wish Artie would come back to post. I could understand his thoughts and philosophy about the game. I have a few question to ask him now that I am a bit more experienced at 1p.

Skin
                        skin ask the questions. even tho it sounds like our opinions dont count as much to you id sure like to tell you what i think

Comment

Smartest 1pocket player

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post

1. Visualization = Viewing the table layout/situation and seeing EVERY possible, viable, shot choice option that exists --- Knowledge, Experience, and Imagination/Creativity are the tools needed for this step.

The Ghost is Brilliant ... this is so spot on
                          I'd like to toss Jimmy Fusco and Allen Hopkins in as smartest and Grady as a substitution.

Comment

Of the players I have played and watched at one pocket no one even compared to Ronnie Allen at his best. Artie wasn't even in the same book let alone the same page.

Ronnie had more imagination and execution than anyone that ever played the game. He created shots that no one had ever thought of before. Most of them worked.

Bill Stroud

Comment

Originally posted by bstroud View Post
                              Of the players I have played and watched at one pocket no one even compared to Ronnie Allen at his best. Artie wasn't even in the same book let alone the same page.

Ronnie had more imagination and execution than anyone that ever played the game. He created shots that no one had ever thought of before. Most of them worked.

Bill Stroud

i'd love to hear you share a good story....

Comment

Originally posted by bstroud View Post

Bill Stroud
                                Originally posted by Miller View Post
                                i'd love to hear you share a good story....
                                that is one hell of a compliment to ronnie from you mr.stroud
                                i also would like to hear a story or two

Comment

Working...
                                X