Smartest Onepocket Player In Life

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bugs

Bugs

Deeman said:
I gotta think Grady is pretty smart in strategic play but I never saw a better offensive player than Ronnie. Who is/was the best clutch banker?

As Grady will also attest to, Bugs made horrific bank shots in the end game.

the Beard

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
As Grady will also attest to, Bugs mad horrific bank shots in the end game.

the Beard

I have to admit I've seen you make some "impossible" banks as well. I am getting ready to order your DVD's on "Banks that don't go- but do" so I can make a couple of 'em, on occasion! :) Nice seeing you at Derby City...

Pool is Cool

From
Dallas TX but now in Israel
Deeman said:
I have to admit I've seen you make some "impossible" banks as well. I am getting ready to order your DVD's on "Banks that don't go- but do" so I can make a couple of 'em, on occasion! :) Nice seeing you at Derby City...

both the dvd's are definitely worth the money. i've only had time to watch them once and learned a bunch. i even used a few of the shots in a one pocket game saturday night, they don't come up exact (of course) so improvisation was necessary, but i nailed 2 out of 4 pretty; and at least got the balls near my pocket + safe :p . thanks fred.

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Is this "no brag, just fact" Freddy?

Cowboy "thread resurrecter" Dennis

I wish Artie would come back to post. I could understand his thoughts and philosophy about the game. I have a few question to ask him now that I am a bit more experienced at 1p.

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
I wish Artie would come back to post. I could understand his thoughts and philosophy about the game. I have a few question to ask him now that I am a bit more experienced at 1p.

Skin
skin ask the questions. even tho it sounds like our opinions dont count as much to you id sure like to tell you what i think:eek: :D

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Smartest 1pocket player

Smartest 1pocket player

Since 'Houston_ron_1966' has pm'd me a couple of times re. this topic, I'm going to make another post here....

....Ultimate One Pocket 'smartness/genius' when in a game and coming to the table for your inning, is simply defined by just two things, in this order :

1. Visualization = Viewing the table layout/situation and seeing EVERY possible, viable, shot choice option that exists --- Knowledge, Experience, and Imagination/Creativity are the tools needed for this step.

2. Choosing the very best option after having taken into account every contributing factor/result probability = balls gained vs. balls lost %, ball score, opponent's ability and tendencies, your ability/likelihood % to execute the shot, etc. etc. --- Knowledge, Experience, and Level-headedness are the tools needed for this step.

So, that said, the Smartest (NOT NECESSARILY BEST) One Pocket player in the world, is the player out of all One Pocket players, who can best visualize the table and options to the fullest degree, and who also makes the correct/best shot choice a greater percentage of the time than all other One Pocket players....Who is that player ?....

....Efren ?.....Freddy might think it's him, I might think it's me, Grady, Billy Incardona, Scott Frost, Alan Hopkins, Ike, and Steve Booth :) might think it's them.......We'll never know the answer - it can't be incontestably proven.
The Ghost is Brilliant ... this is so spot on
I'd like to toss Jimmy Fusco and Allen Hopkins in as smartest and Grady as a substitution.

bstroud

Verified Member
Of the players I have played and watched at one pocket no one even compared to Ronnie Allen at his best. Artie wasn't even in the same book let alone the same page.

Ronnie had more imagination and execution than anyone that ever played the game. He created shots that no one had ever thought of before. Most of them worked.

Bill Stroud

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Of the players I have played and watched at one pocket no one even compared to Ronnie Allen at his best. Artie wasn't even in the same book let alone the same page.

Ronnie had more imagination and execution than anyone that ever played the game. He created shots that no one had ever thought of before. Most of them worked.

Bill Stroud

i'd love to hear you share a good story....

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Bill Stroud

i'd love to hear you share a good story....

that is one hell of a compliment to ronnie from you mr.stroud:)
i also would like to hear a story or two

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
....Ultimate One Pocket 'smartness/genius' when in a game and coming to the table for your inning, is simply defined by just two things, in this order :

1. Visualization = Viewing the table layout/situation and seeing EVERY possible, viable, shot choice option that exists --- Knowledge, Experience, and Imagination/Creativity are the tools needed for this step.

2. Choosing the very best option after having taken into account every contributing factor/result probability = balls gained vs. balls lost %, ball score, opponent's ability and tendencies, your ability/likelihood % to execute the shot, etc. etc. --- Knowledge, Experience, and Level-headedness are the tools needed for this step.

So, all that said, the Smartest (NOT NECESSARILY BEST) One Pocket player in the world, is the player out of all One Pocket players, who can best visualize the table and options to the fullest degree, and who also makes the correct/best shot choice a greater percentage of the time than all other One Pocket players....Who is that player ?....

....Efren ?.....Freddy might think it's him, I might think it's me, Grady, Billy Incardona, Scott Frost, Alan Hopkins, Ike, and Steve Booth :) might think it's them.......We'll never know the answer - it can't be incontestably proven.

The Ghost is Brilliant ... this is so spot on.

Thanks for the kind words Tony...

I tried wordwise, to zero in as succinctly as possible in defining exactly what playing optimum One Pocket consists of....when I give a One Pocket lesson, I teach from this same One Pocket doctrine.

- Ghost

Last edited:

diamondave13

Efren Reyes, with his unbelieveable talent and creativity, must be smartest one pocket player of all time. Many defensive players don't think much of Efren's aggressive style but none of them ever beat him gambling. Cliff Joyner, who himself is one of the top one pocket players, has gotten a ball from Efren and couldn't win. Billy I. who is himself a great one pocket player, once said that Efren thinks ahead of ahead. One pocket is a pressure game and Efren keeps unbelievable pressure on the opponent. Ronnie Allen, when asked if he played Efren with both in their prime, who would win, said that Efren would probably win but would be too tired to spend the money. I rest my case.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Efren Reyes, with his unbelieveable talent and creativity, must be smartest one pocket player of all time. Many defensive players don't think much of Efren's aggressive style but none of them ever beat him gambling. Cliff Joyner, who himself is one of the top one pocket players, has gotten a ball from Efren and couldn't win. Billy I. who is himself a great one pocket player, once said that Efren thinks ahead of ahead. One pocket is a pressure game and Efren keeps unbelievable pressure on the opponent. Ronnie Allen, when asked if he played Efren with both in their prime, who would win, said that Efren would probably win but would be too tired to spend the money. I rest my case.

DD13,

It seems you are confusing physical talent with mental talent. They are two entirely different things. Efren is the greatest one-pocket player I've ever seen but he is definitely not the smartest. He quite frequently shoots the wrong shot but his physical talent so many times overcomes his wrong shot choice that he wins anyway.

Nobody who truly knows one-pocket would say that Efren is the smartest player of the game even if nobody could beat him playing even. Of course, then you'd have to qualify that statement by stating whether or not Efren was playing on his own money. I don't figure that happened too much.

As I said here one time about Efren, he may not always shoot the right shot but he shoots the wrong shot better than anybody in history:).

P.S. Anybody who thinks that a player who beats a man in Galveston and then loses to the same man at DCC and is too "smart" to play the same man a third time is a "smart" one-pocket player is an idiot. I'd be fighting through hell & fire to play the guy a 3rd time. That man is a nit, nothing else.

Dennis

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
DD13,

It seems you are confusing physical talent with mental talent. They are two entirely different things. Efren is the greatest one-pocket player I've ever seen but he is definitely not the smartest. He quite frequently shoots the wrong shot but his physical talent so many times overcomes his wrong shot choice that he wins anyway.

Nobody who truly knows one-pocket would say that Efren is the smartest player of the game even if nobody could beat him playing even.

As I said here one time about Efren, he may not always shoot the right shot but he shoots the wrong shot better than anybody in history:).

Dennis

Dennis.....As you know, myself, Freddy, and I forget who-all else, are already on record from past threads on this Efren topic, in agreeing with all that you've just said here once again.

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I understand, agree and acknowledge Ghostbreath.

RBL

Nice try :rolleyes: but you're not going to get me to join in on that silly, juvenile, breath-name-game that you and SJDuck amuse yourselves (and nobody else, I might add) with...you won't see me calling you 'cowpie breath' or 'gelding breath' any time soon...:eek:...:D

- Geaust

SJDinPHX

Suspended
That would be me........................:eek:

Dear $5 Hooker Jock Strap Breath,

Let me see if I have this right...The actual TRUE pecking order is...

#1..SuperDuck

#2..Artie B.

#3..142 places down, the Beard.

#4..986 places down, TIE.. Dippy Dave, and the One Pocket Ghoats..:rolleyes:

PS..In a few weeks, Dippy Dave will surpass him, thereby making Ghoatsy #987..:sorry

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Nice try :rolleyes: but you're not going to get me to join in on that silly, juvenile, breath-name-game that you and SJDuck amuse yourselves (and nobody else, I might add) with...you won't see me calling you 'cowpie breath' or 'gelding breath' any time soon...:eek:...:D

- Geaust

Dear Mr. Ghost Sir,

Cowpie maybe, gelding not ever (witnesses presented upon request).

Dennis

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Tony Chohan

Tony Chohan

Tony Chohan had some of the most inspired moves of one pocket ever seen. His problem was his head. When it comes to just raw natural ability to "see" one pocket, there have been few like him. I'd go with RA as far as imagination for long term. Squeezing is not the ability to have imagination. It shouldn't even be considered as having great one pocket skills.