rules question

daved528

Got a tough one.
One player puts his balls in the other players bin. Neither notice. The player who got the gift comes to table sees he has six balls with two easy shots up. He runs the two and ignores the fact his opponent has two balls in the jaws of his pocket.
Of course the player who gave the balls away suddenly realizes his error. Assuming the error was honest and the guy wasn't just lying is there a rule that covers this?
I have read the rules here, the BCA rule book and contacted at least three knowledgeable players (one of them a 1 pocket hall of famer) but haven't gotten an answer yet.
thanks all

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
:eek: If there is no rule, I believe there would have to be a concession by Lucky Sam. Without that, I think the other guy is out of luck. And, given Sam's 'out', I don't think the concession is likely. How many balls were involved?

Hard to believe Sam didn't know how many balls he needed to win, especially if the error involved several balls. Looks like he has taken advantage of the mistake and claims the game. Joe Bftsklp really has nothing going for him except the charity in Sam's heart, if any.

It's like rushing to run the next play before anybody can protest the last one.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
A similar situation occurred at Derby City a couple of years ago, between the young up-and-comer Sylver Ochoa and the veteran Buddy Hall. Remember the Diamond tables at DCC are all ball return models, so each player has to be diligent about removing their scores to their own tray. Sylver contended that one of his ended up in Buddy's tray, in a pretty close match. Buddy strongly disagreed. Tournament director Scott Smith was called over by Sylver, and Scott consulted with both players, as well as people in the stands that had been watching the match. Scott ruled that, without conclusive evidence to the contrary, and because the ball in question had been pocketed more than one inning prior, it was was too late to do anything but let Buddy keep the ball.

Incidently, Scott Smith uses the 'Official Rules' posted here on OnePocket.org.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
It is amasing that this happens as often as it does.

Two grown men that can't remember to do what they are suppose to do and then get into an argument about who's responsible and then go to a TD to work out the ruling..... you can't win in this situation as a TD.

I had to DQ a player that just wouldn't accept my decision when he was the one that asked me for a ruling.

All because there was a ball in the ball return tray that neither player could remember who's ball it was, and neither wanted to just "Give it to the other"

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
All because there was a ball in the ball return tray that neither player could remember who's ball it was, and neither wanted to just "Give it to the other"
Curious what your solution was there, Tom. Did you just spot the ball in question? ~Doc

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Since neither player would make more than a response of "I think it MIGHT be", or "I'm not sure" I just told them I was going to spot the ball after they each had an inning at the table. But both players didn't like that solution. The score was 3-2 and the first game of the match.

One player was getting very loud and heated with his 'side of the story' and wouldn't' tone it down when I asked him to, so I warned him that if he didn't quiet down I would DQ him. Then he went off into a rant, I DQ'd him, and awarded the match to his opponent.

gulfportdoc said:
Curious what your solution was there, Tom. Did you just spot the ball in question? ~Doc

Last edited:

longhair

SactownTom said:
Since neither player would make more than a response of "I think it MIGHT be", or "I'm not sure" I just told them I was going to spot the ball after they each had an inning at the table. But both players didn't like that solution. The score was 3-2 and the first game of the match.

One player was getting very loud and heated with his 'side of the story' and wouldn't' tone it down when I asked him to, so I warned him that if he didn't quiet down I would DQ him. Then he went off into a rant, I DQ'd him, and awarded the match to his opponent.
I'm glad to hear of a TD that is willing to take this final step. I have seen so many that are intimidated or don't want to make anyone angry. I hope you are the TD the next time Earl throws a fit.
________
The Easy Vape

Last edited:

Houston_ron_1966

Verified Member
daved528 said:
Got a tough one.
One player puts his balls in the other players bin. Neither notice. The player who got the gift comes to table sees he has six balls with two easy shots up. He runs the two and ignores the fact his opponent has two balls in the jaws of his pocket.
Of course the player who gave the balls away suddenly realizes his error. Assuming the error was honest and the guy wasn't just lying is there a rule that covers this?
I have read the rules here, the BCA rule book and contacted at least three knowledgeable players (one of them a 1 pocket hall of famer) but haven't gotten an answer yet.
thanks all
The correct answer is you made the mistake and put the ball in the wrong rack. Take responsabelity for your mistake even though you dont want to. Learn from your mistakes. Unless you have a instant replay of the whole game and proves you made the ball nothing changes in the game. Pool has not gotten that advanced yet to go by instant replay. But they are working on it. I could not overturn the decision its your mistake live with it. If you dont like my answer fight for it. And that is the only correct answer whether you like it or not.................

Last edited: