Ronnie vs. Fats

billinboston

Did Ronnie get busted from Fatty in 1970 ?? I read in a book that he gave Fatty a ball and lost everything to him I always heard when Ronnie was in his prime like i'm sure he was in 70, that he could give just about anyone a ball and break them !! Fatty, to my understanding was never a top one holer
and i'm sure way past whtever his prime might have been in 70 Can anyone
clarify this for me ?? thanks, Bill

Poolfan

Ronnie Never Lost to Fats

Ronnie Never Lost to Fats

I spoke with Ronnie the other day. He said that he couldn't ever get Fats to play with him for money. Fats was a smart hustler.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
billinboston said:
Did Ronnie get busted from Fatty in 1970 ?? I read in a book that he gave Fatty a ball and lost everything to him I always heard when Ronnie was in his prime like i'm sure he was in 70, that he could give just about anyone a ball and break them !! Fatty, to my understanding was never a top one holer

I believe it was Ritchie Florence who gave Fats some weight and got busted. Maybe Freddie or Jay can elaborate.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Burn the book

Burn the book

billinboston said:

Ronnie and Fats played a few times, contrary to what Ronnie might say today to someone. He did not lose "everything" however. He won some and lost some with Fats.
Excerpt from my upcoming blog page, "War Stories, but none by Oliver North," that will soon appear on my web www.bankingwiththebeard.com. :
...In Johnston City, in 1969 or 70, I had the pleasure and privilege of watching Ronnie and Fatty play Onepocket. I say privilege because few people were allowed to watch the game. To see Fats play Ronnie or Richie Florence you had to be invited. Getting a spot, and maybe getting beat in public was pretty much the reason Fats would only play to a selected audience. Fatty didn't want any squares seeing him getting a spot from Ronnie Allen and Richie Florence. Some earlier scribes, who obviously weren't there, said Ronnie gave Fats 8 to 6 and Richie Florence gave him 9 to 7. Not true. Richie gave him 8 to 7, and Ronnie played him 9 to 7 and $330 to $300 on the money. ($300 a game in those days is equivalent to about 4 million a game today.) They broke even. Greatest Onepocket performance by both players that I ever saw. Ronnie ran 9 and out every time he seen the edge of a ball, and Fats ran 7 and out like it was water. The games lasted an average of about 5 minutes each. The outcome was predictable, after a couple of fantastic hours, they were about even and they quit...

the Beard
now for the plug:Check out my new, souped up website and blogs. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
My take on this matter

My take on this matter

Ritchie did lose $20,000 to Fats, playing him 9 to 7 one game and 8 to 7 the other. Fatty really jerked Ritchie around. He'd quit after a couple of hours and make Ritchie wait until the next night and then show up late after Ritchie started drinking.
That money was the last of the million dollars Ritchie was ahead playing Baccarrat in Vegas. Just before that loss, which took place at Johnston City, Ritchie and Ed Kelly took a cult-famous trip across the country. Nobody beat Kelly, which was the norm for him, back then.

Deeman

Verified Member
Damn, aint it nice?

Damn, aint it nice?

Grady said:
Ritchie did lose $20,000 to Fats, playing him 9 to 7 one game and 8 to 7 the other. Fatty really jerked Ritchie around. He'd quit after a couple of hours and make Ritchie wait until the next night and then show up late after Ritchie started drinking.
That money was the last of the million dollars Ritchie was ahead playing Baccarrat in Vegas. Just before that loss, which took place at Johnston City, Ritchie and Ed Kelly took a cult-famous trip across the country. Nobody beat Kelly, which was the norm for him, back then.

Grady and Fred:

It is so nice to be able to have you two great players, as well as others, post on a forum full of people who realy love this game. I took my first paid lesson from Grady over 25 years ago and it was the best experience in the world. Freddy's books have re-started my interest in the game. Now if I could just find players near me. :(

Grady, it was great to see you hittin em so well in Louisville. Got any tournaments in the works?

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Grady's Tournaments

Grady's Tournaments

Plans for the rest of the year are for the following tournaments:

Senior's Championship
Grady's 9 Ball
Legends of Bank Pool
Bar Table Championship
Legends of One Pocket

I'll try to get all the details posted on my blog as soon as I can. http://gradymathews.com/blog/

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Ronnie and Fats played a few times, contrary to what Ronnie might say today to someone. He did not lose "everything" however. He won some and lost some with Fats.
Excerpt from my upcoming blog page, "War Stories, but none by Oliver North," that will soon appear on my web www.bankingwiththebeard.com. :
...In Johnston City, in 1969 or 70, I had the pleasure and privilege of watching Ronnie and Fatty play Onepocket. I say privilege because few people were allowed to watch the game. To see Fats play Ronnie or Richie Florence you had to be invited. Getting a spot, and maybe getting beat in public was pretty much the reason Fats would only play to a selected audience. Fatty didn't want any squares seeing him getting a spot from Ronnie Allen and Richie Florence. Some earlier scribes, who obviously weren't there, said Ronnie gave Fats 8 to 6 and Richie Florence gave him 9 to 7. Not true. Richie gave him 8 to 7, and Ronnie played him 9 to 7 and $330 to $300 on the money. ($300 a game in those days is equivalent to about 4 million a game today.) They broke even. Greatest Onepocket performance by both players that I ever saw. Ronnie ran 9 and out every time he seen the edge of a ball, and Fats ran 7 and out like it was water. The games lasted an average of about 5 minutes each. The outcome was predictable, after a couple of fantastic hours, they were about even and they quit...

the Beard
now for the plug:Check out my new, souped up website and blogs. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.
Fred,
Fat's quit,under extreme protest, $60 winner, (about 1/2 million in todays money). I know, I was in with RA. You must have
looked a little younger then !?!?
Dick

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Grady said:
Plans for the rest of the year are for the following tournaments:

Senior's Championship
Grady's 9 Ball
Legends of Bank Pool
Bar Table Championship
Legends of One Pocket

I'll try to get all the details posted on my blog as soon as I can. http://gradymathews.com/blog/
Grady, What! No Super Seniors???
Dick

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Super seniors

Super seniors

Dick Mc Morran said:
Grady, What! No Super Seniors???
Dick
Dick, there's been a micro-discussion on that subject over at gradymathews.com. I'm all for a super senior's, but would prefer 60 and over, rather than 65. I'm biased, since I won't turn 65 for 1-1/2 years...:p You might want to comment on that subject on Grady's site as well. Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be a great event.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
clarified

clarified

Dick Mc Morran said:
Fred,
Fat's quit,under extreme protest, $60 winner, (about 1/2 million in todays money). I know, I was in with RA. You must have
looked a little younger then !?!?
Dick

I clarified that in the long version of the Ronnie, Richie and Fats story on my blog. http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/ ..."The odds on the money put Fatty a few bucks ahead." You were with Ronnie? Confirm how good they both played will you?

the Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
Dick, there's been a micro-discussion on that subject over at gradymathews.com. I'm all for a super senior's, but would prefer 60 and over, rather than 65. I'm biased, since I won't turn 65 for 1-1/2 years...:p You might want to comment on that subject on Grady's site as well. Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be a great event.

Doc

Doc, I'm lobbying for over 70 (just kidding). Do you realize that over 60
would let a whole bounch of guys in (RA, Grady, DD. etc.) I would be
hoping for a little softer field.

Dick

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dick Mc Morran said:
Do you realize that over 60
would let a whole bounch of guys in (RA, Grady, DD. etc.) I would be
hoping for a little softer field.

Dick
Right you are, bro. But those three guys also qualify for 65 & over...:eek: Don't know if RA or DD would travel to Columbia or not though. How 'bout you?

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Are you kidding?

Are you kidding?

gulfportdoc said:
Right you are, bro. But those three guys also qualify for 65 & over...:eek: Don't know if RA or DD would travel to Columbia or not though. How 'bout you?

Doc

Only all expense paid sponsor and a real wealthy (fatboy?) stakehorse!!!!!

SJDinPHX

Suspended
True story!

True story!

fred bentivegna said:
I clarified that in the long version of the Ronnie, Richie and Fats story on my blog. http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/ ..."The odds on the money put Fatty a few bucks ahead." You were with Ronnie? Confirm how good they both played will you?

the Beard

Fats caught a gear and RA played about average for him at that time. He would have killed him but it became a sharking contest. (Fat's won that!)

hindoo

Verified Member
Ritchie & Fats

Ritchie & Fats

In the early 70's I was in Louisville for a 14.1 tournament named The Kentucky Classic run by Paul Gerni. Ritchie was warming-up in the practice area. He rifled one three diamonds as he remarked to his attractive ladyfriend in the bleachers - "like that one Baby?" "Fats taught it to me, only cost me thirty thousand to learn it."