Ronnie vs. Fats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie vs. Fats

Did Ronnie get busted from Fatty in 1970 ?? I read in a book that he gave Fatty a ball and lost everything to him I always heard when Ronnie was in his prime like i'm sure he was in 70, that he could give just about anyone a ball and break them !! Fatty, to my understanding was never a top one holer
    and i'm sure way past whtever his prime might have been in 70 Can anyone
    clarify this for me ?? thanks, Bill

Ronnie Never Lost to Fats

I spoke with Ronnie the other day. He said that he couldn't ever get Fats to play with him for money. Fats was a smart hustler.

Comment

I am reading Fat's book now. He makes it sound as though he never lost a game

PEL
      I shoot pool like I make love - I'm not very good but do have a lot of fun trying.

Comment

Originally posted by billinboston
        Did Ronnie get busted from Fatty in 1970 ?? I read in a book that he gave Fatty a ball and lost everything to him I always heard when Ronnie was in his prime like i'm sure he was in 70, that he could give just about anyone a ball and break them !! Fatty, to my understanding was never a top one holer
        I believe it was Ritchie Florence who gave Fats some weight and got busted. Maybe Freddie or Jay can elaborate.
        JOHN HENDERSON
        Al Romero Cue
        Magic Chalk

Comment

Burn the book

Originally posted by billinboston

Ronnie and Fats played a few times, contrary to what Ronnie might say today to someone. He did not lose "everything" however. He won some and lost some with Fats.
          Excerpt from my upcoming blog page, "War Stories, but none by Oliver North," that will soon appear on my web www.bankingwiththebeard.com. :
          ...In Johnston City, in 1969 or 70, I had the pleasure and privilege of watching Ronnie and Fatty play Onepocket. I say privilege because few people were allowed to watch the game. To see Fats play Ronnie or Richie Florence you had to be invited. Getting a spot, and maybe getting beat in public was pretty much the reason Fats would only play to a selected audience. Fatty didn't want any squares seeing him getting a spot from Ronnie Allen and Richie Florence. Some earlier scribes, who obviously weren't there, said Ronnie gave Fats 8 to 6 and Richie Florence gave him 9 to 7. Not true. Richie gave him 8 to 7, and Ronnie played him 9 to 7 and $330 to $300 on the money. ($300 a game in those days is equivalent to about 4 million a game today.) They broke even. Greatest Onepocket performance by both players that I ever saw. Ronnie ran 9 and out every time he seen the edge of a ball, and Fats ran 7 and out like it was water. The games lasted an average of about 5 minutes each. The outcome was predictable, after a couple of fantastic hours, they were about even and they quit...

the Beard
          now for the plug:Check out my new, souped up website and blogs. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.
          New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
          www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

My take on this matter

Ritchie did lose $20,000 to Fats, playing him 9 to 7 one game and 8 to 7 the other. Fatty really jerked Ritchie around. He'd quit after a couple of hours and make Ritchie wait until the next night and then show up late after Ritchie started drinking.
            That money was the last of the million dollars Ritchie was ahead playing Baccarrat in Vegas. Just before that loss, which took place at Johnston City, Ritchie and Ed Kelly took a cult-famous trip across the country. Nobody beat Kelly, which was the norm for him, back then.

Comment

Damn, aint it nice?

Originally posted by Grady
              Ritchie did lose $20,000 to Fats, playing him 9 to 7 one game and 8 to 7 the other. Fatty really jerked Ritchie around. He'd quit after a couple of hours and make Ritchie wait until the next night and then show up late after Ritchie started drinking.
              That money was the last of the million dollars Ritchie was ahead playing Baccarrat in Vegas. Just before that loss, which took place at Johnston City, Ritchie and Ed Kelly took a cult-famous trip across the country. Nobody beat Kelly, which was the norm for him, back then.
              Grady and Fred:

It is so nice to be able to have you two great players, as well as others, post on a forum full of people who realy love this game. I took my first paid lesson from Grady over 25 years ago and it was the best experience in the world. Freddy's books have re-started my interest in the game. Now if I could just find players near me.

Grady, it was great to see you hittin em so well in Louisville. Got any tournaments in the works?
              DeeMan

Comment

Grady's Tournaments

Plans for the rest of the year are for the following tournaments:

Senior's Championship
                Grady's 9 Ball
                Legends of Bank Pool
                Bar Table Championship
                Legends of One Pocket

I'll try to get all the details posted on my blog as soon as I can. http://gradymathews.com/blog/

Comment

Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                  Ronnie and Fats played a few times, contrary to what Ronnie might say today to someone. He did not lose "everything" however. He won some and lost some with Fats.
                  Excerpt from my upcoming blog page, "War Stories, but none by Oliver North," that will soon appear on my web www.bankingwiththebeard.com. :
                  ...In Johnston City, in 1969 or 70, I had the pleasure and privilege of watching Ronnie and Fatty play Onepocket. I say privilege because few people were allowed to watch the game. To see Fats play Ronnie or Richie Florence you had to be invited. Getting a spot, and maybe getting beat in public was pretty much the reason Fats would only play to a selected audience. Fatty didn't want any squares seeing him getting a spot from Ronnie Allen and Richie Florence. Some earlier scribes, who obviously weren't there, said Ronnie gave Fats 8 to 6 and Richie Florence gave him 9 to 7. Not true. Richie gave him 8 to 7, and Ronnie played him 9 to 7 and $330 to $300 on the money. ($300 a game in those days is equivalent to about 4 million a game today.) They broke even. Greatest Onepocket performance by both players that I ever saw. Ronnie ran 9 and out every time he seen the edge of a ball, and Fats ran 7 and out like it was water. The games lasted an average of about 5 minutes each. The outcome was predictable, after a couple of fantastic hours, they were about even and they quit...

the Beard
                  now for the plug:Check out my new, souped up website and blogs. www.bankingwiththebeard.com. I have learned how to do my own web programming, and my site is now at least 40 pages long. One big section on The Last Days of Bugs Rucker, another, Secrets of a Hard Core Pool Hustler, with more to come. Videos, slide shows, pics, Books, DVDs,memorabilia, etc. Log on, enjoy the stories, pics, hustler instruction, outrageous opinions, and eventually, spend some moola.
                  Fred,
                  Fat's quit,under extreme protest, $60 winner, (about 1/2 million in todays money). I know, I was in with RA. You must have
                  looked a little younger then !?!?
                  Dick
                  Last edited by SJDinPHX; 03-11-2008, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady
                    Plans for the rest of the year are for the following tournaments:

Senior's Championship
                    Grady's 9 Ball
                    Legends of Bank Pool
                    Bar Table Championship
                    Legends of One Pocket

I'll try to get all the details posted on my blog as soon as I can. http://gradymathews.com/blog/
                    Grady, What! No Super Seniors???
                    Dick

Comment

Super seniors

Originally posted by Dick Mc Morran
                      Grady, What! No Super Seniors???
                      Dick
                      Dick, there's been a micro-discussion on that subject over at gradymathews.com. I'm all for a super senior's, but would prefer 60 and over, rather than 65. I'm biased, since I won't turn 65 for 1-1/2 years... You might want to comment on that subject on Grady's site as well. Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be a great event.

Doc

Comment

clarified

Fred,
                        Fat's quit,under extreme protest, $60 winner, (about 1/2 million in todays money). I know, I was in with RA. You must have
                        looked a little younger then !?!?
                        Dick
                        I clarified that in the long version of the Ronnie, Richie and Fats story on my blog. http://warstoriesnonebyolivernorth.blogspot.com/ ..."The odds on the money put Fatty a few bucks ahead." You were with Ronnie? Confirm how good they both played will you?

the Beard
                        New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                        www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                          Dick, there's been a micro-discussion on that subject over at gradymathews.com. I'm all for a super senior's, but would prefer 60 and over, rather than 65. I'm biased, since I won't turn 65 for 1-1/2 years... You might want to comment on that subject on Grady's site as well. Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be a great event.

Doc
                          Doc, I'm lobbying for over 70 (just kidding). Do you realize that over 60
                          would let a whole bounch of guys in (RA, Grady, DD. etc.) I would be
                          hoping for a little softer field.

Dick

Comment

Do you realize that over 60
                            would let a whole bounch of guys in (RA, Grady, DD. etc.) I would be
                            hoping for a little softer field.

Dick
                            Right you are, bro. But those three guys also qualify for 65 & over... Don't know if RA or DD would travel to Columbia or not though. How 'bout you?

Doc

Comment

Are you kidding?

Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                              Right you are, bro. But those three guys also qualify for 65 & over... Don't know if RA or DD would travel to Columbia or not though. How 'bout you?

Doc
                              Only all expense paid sponsor and a real wealthy (fatboy?) stakehorse!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X