Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which city has the best pool scene?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Action, action, At C.J's in DALLAS

    If you are in Dallas on Wednesday nite You are in Action!!! All the local Boys gather for 1-p & 9 ball on that day !!! Having fun & betting HIGH!!! B. J. the bandit

    Comment


    • #32
      Ed Kelly

      I watched Ed Kelly run 489 straight pool !!!
      ...ran 89 & out /then 100 & out...4 more times with NO safeties or misses.
      He was playing DIck Lane $100 race to 100 balls.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by gulfportdoc
        Tubster,

        When are you planning to come up for the Gulf Coast Classic? (Grady's event) Are you going to make a week of it, or just come up on 12/8? Hope you're heart's back to fightin' speed!!

        Doc
        Thanks, Doc. I finally snapped. My buddy, Smorgass Bored is my buddy the Tampa Tubster. When's the last time you've seen, Marilyn Monroe/Chris, Smorg?
        JMO,ICBW.............$Bill

        Comment


        • #34
          100 and out?

          Originally posted by ajrack
          I watched Ed Kelly run 489 straight pool !!!
          ...ran 89 & out /then 100 & out...4 more times with NO safeties or misses.
          He was playing DIck Lane $100 race to 100 balls.
          As I have never played serious 14.1 I have wondered how does one run 100 out. I am asking about the break shot and how they make a ball. The only shot I know is the behind the stack, head ball two rails in the side. Is there another shot that has a higher percentage?
          Later.........T-dog

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by t-dog
            As I have never played serious 14.1 I have wondered how does one run 100 out. I am asking about the break shot and how they make a ball. The only shot I know is the behind the stack, head ball two rails in the side. Is there another shot that has a higher percentage?
            Later.........T-dog

            Well yes, the reason they call it 14-1 is the 1 (not specifically the 1 ball) is left as a break ball.

            Rod

            Comment


            • #36
              14.1

              Originally posted by t-dog
              As I have never played serious 14.1 I have wondered how does one run 100 out.
              "Practice, practice, practice..." Seriously though, as Rod said, after the 14th ball is pocketed, the 15th ball is left wherever it is on the table while the other 14 are racked on the foot spot with the space over the spot empty. The skill comes in picking a ball you'd like to have as a "break ball", and leaving it until last so that when the other balls are racked you can shoot that 15th ball into a pocket and have the cueball hit the stack.

              Try it, you'll like it!!

              Doc

              P.S. No one ever attempts to make a ball on the opening shot in 14.1.
              The first shot of a match is always a safety.

              Comment


              • #37
                Never caught on

                Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                "Practice, practice, practice..." Seriously though, as Rod said, after the 14th ball is pocketed, the 15th ball is left wherever it is on the table while the other 14 are racked on the foot spot with the space over the spot empty. The skill comes in picking a ball you'd like to have as a "break ball", and leaving it until last so that when the other balls are racked you can shoot that 15th ball into a pocket and have the cueball hit the stack.

                Try it, you'll like it!!

                Doc

                P.S. No one ever attempts to make a ball on the opening shot in 14.1.
                The first shot of a match is always a safety.
                Straight Pool never caught on in the deep south, Doc. Action wasn't fast enough. One Pocket was even a tough sell at first but the more people who tried the game the more they fell in love with it. The straightest shooter didn't have to win, unlike 14-1 which usually is the case.
                JMO,ICBW.............$Bill

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by hemicudas
                  Straight Pool never caught on in the deep south, Doc. Action wasn't fast enough. One Pocket was even a tough sell at first but the more people who tried the game the more they fell in love with it. The straightest shooter didn't have to win, unlike 14-1 which usually is the case.
                  Interesting point, Hemi. I wonder if snooker faded out for the same reason? It was my understanding that it used to be common to see snooker played on the 5 x 10 tables throughout Dixie. Unfortunately 9-ball has been king for the past 30 years, and that's why I'm happy to see the re-emergence of
                  one-pocket. Now if only some of these 9-ball bangers in Gulfport would switch, we'd be all set!

                  Doc

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                    Now if only some of these 9-ball bangers in Gulfport would switch, we'd be all set!
                    I share the same sentiments in Austin!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                      Interesting point, Hemi. I wonder if snooker faded out for the same reason? It was my understanding that it used to be common to see snooker played on the 5 x 10 tables throughout Dixie. Unfortunately 9-ball has been king for the past 30 years, and that's why I'm happy to see the re-emergence of
                      one-pocket. Now if only some of these 9-ball bangers in Gulfport would switch, we'd be all set!

                      Doc
                      Portland Maine hosted one of Grady's tournaments in November, 2000. Prior to the tournament, there wasn't very much One Pocket played there -- for years -- but after the tournament there was a definite surge in One Pocket interest. Maybe your area will see an uptick as a result of Grady's coming event!
                      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by NH Steve
                        Portland Maine hosted one of Grady's tournaments in November, 2000. Prior to the tournament, there wasn't very much One Pocket played there -- for years -- but after the tournament there was a definite surge in One Pocket interest. Maybe your area will see an uptick as a result of Grady's coming event!
                        I hope you're right, Steve! By the way, are you going to be able to attend Grady's GCC 12/6? I know it's a long trip, but it seems as though the event is shaping up to be a major jamboree!!

                        Doc

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                          I hope you're right, Steve! By the way, are you going to be able to attend Grady's GCC 12/6? I know it's a long trip, but it seems as though the event is shaping up to be a major jamboree!!

                          Doc
                          I'm definitely planning to come -- probably too late to enter (of course I play just a slight notch above that guy Forfeit anyway )

                          I've got the One Pocket scheduled for 12/8 -- what starts 12/6?
                          "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                          -- Strawberry Brooks

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by NH Steve
                            I'm definitely planning to come -- probably too late to enter (of course I play just a slight notch above that guy Forfeit anyway )

                            I've got the One Pocket scheduled for 12/8 -- what starts 12/6?
                            Whoops!! Nasty old Mr. Typo. There's nothing scheduled on 12/6. The event is going to run 12/8-12/12/04, with the one-hole starting 12/8. Grady has all the scheduling so far on his site: www.gradymathews.com

                            I'm sure you'll be able to enter whichever events you wish. I don't think he's limiting the entries so far. I'm sure there will be lots of late entries. Check me if I'm wrong on that, Pelican.

                            Doc
                            Last edited by gulfportdoc; 11-02-2004, 10:37 PM. Reason: Typo error

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X