Which city has the best pool scene?

davAmundo

Verified Member
I have been given the choice of the following duty stations:

Des Moines, Iowa
Butte, Montana
Shreveport, Louisiana
Houston, Texas

Where am I most likely to find a one-pocket scene?

DavAmundo

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
I also have the same question

I also have the same question

I am in the Coast Guard here in the bay area have one more year left on this assignment. Some possiblilities for me are San Francisco again lots of strong one pocket here, Boston, Charleston, SC. Miami, Fl. Panama City, Fl. Honolulu, and Mobile, Al. Any of these other cities have good one pocket scenes?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
thebigdog said:
I am in the Coast Guard here in the bay area have one more year left on this assignment. Some possiblilities for me are San Francisco again lots of strong one pocket here, Boston, Charleston, SC. Miami, Fl. Panama City, Fl. Honolulu, and Mobile, Al. Any of these other cities have good one pocket scenes?
Sadly, Boston is fairly One Pocket deprived these days.
I don't see how you could top San Francisco...

t-dog

Verified Member
Des Moines?

Des Moines?

I dont know which is harder to find in Des Moines - - A 1hole player or a nine footer to play them on.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
"In the land of the fruits and nuts..."

"In the land of the fruits and nuts..."

NH Steve said:
Sadly, Boston is fairly One Pocket deprived these days.
I don't see how you could top San Francisco...

One-pocket is certainly played in San Francisco; mostly I suspect at Delbert Wong's room, Family Billiards. However the gambling action is low. In fact if two guys match up playing even for $100 a game, the word quickly gets out, and poolplayers come from 9 counties to just watch in awe and amazement.

Either Houston or Shreveport would be my pick. There are lots more good players in Houston, but Shreveport and Louisiana are nicer places to live. Plus living in Shreveport gives one reasonably easy access to other pool playing communities for both tournaments and action. If one likes to bet high, then Louisiana is the place to be.

Good luck!

Doc

Last edited:

chief

Verified Member
davamundo,I am in the Navy also and would have to wonder what type of duty station is in these places,but would definetly pick Houston for the action and its not that far a drive from La. Bigdog,I have been stationed in all the places you mention and Miami is without a doubt the best or a definet close 2nd to S.F.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
California has some 1Pkt Action

California has some 1Pkt Action

San Francisco and Mountian View (Bay Area), Sacramento, and the LA area are all PRIME locations for some 1Pkt action.

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Whatever you do, don't pick Boston for its one-pocket. If you say one pocket here, people think you are talking about some messed up form of 9 ball, and if they see a one pocket game in progess then they think you can't break.

One Pocket is has pretty much taken a dirt nap in Boston

kollegedave

KY8andout

Verified Member
Charleston

Charleston

I lived near Charleston for about a year back in 2000. Though it is mostly a nine-ball town, you can find one pocket action among the better players in Charleston and Summerville which is about twenty minutes away. I would give two thumbs up for Charleston as a place to live. The night life, beaches, and food are fantastic.

senor

Verified Member
davAmundo said:
I have been given the choice of the following duty stations:

Des Moines, Iowa
Butte, Montana
Shreveport, Louisiana
Houston, Texas

Where am I most likely to find a one-pocket scene?

DavAmundo

All pool players play one pocket in Houston. They are on the stall if they say they don't.

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
One-pocket is certainly played in San Francisco; mostly I suspect at Delbert Wong's room, Family Billiards. However the gambling action is low. In fact if two guys match up playing even for $100 a game, the word quickly gets out, and poolplayers come from 9 counties to just watch in awe and amazement.

Either Houston or Shreveport would be my pick. There are lots more good players in Houston, but Shreveport and Louisiana are nicer places to live. Plus living in Shreveport gives one reasonably easy access to other pool playing communities for both tournaments and action. If one likes to bet high, then Louisiana is the place to be.

Good luck!

Doc
Hey Doc,
What do you know about Mobile, and Panama City?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
thebigdog said:
Hey Doc,
What do you know about Mobile, and Panama City?

Well, they could both be under water by Thursday afternoon... Jokes aside, I think unfortunately Hurricane Ivan will keep moving west. It may even hit me right on the nose in Gulfport, Miss.; or perhaps travel to New Orleans. Hell, JoeyA might even have to take a day off practicing pool!

There's quite a bit of action at Breakers Billiards in Mobile. Several solid 1P players, along with a few thieves and lock artists. High dollar action can break out there at any time. Panama City is a beautiful town, but to my knowledge there's minimal action. There's only one room that I know of, which is owned by Lee Paul and his wife-- two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Lee is a strong shortstop. Pelican might be able to add more to your query.

Doc

cycopath

Verified Member
From
Alabama Gulf Coast
Hidden Pockets

Hidden Pockets

You could stop in Milton, FL at Hidden Pockets. I'm sure John Schmidt would give you a game. Bring the greenbacks though, I don't think John gets into too many cheap games. :)

davAmundo

Verified Member
KY hit it right on the head...and t-dog is breakin' my heart.

KY hit it right on the head...and t-dog is breakin' my heart.

I would say there is an "emerging" one-pocket scene in Charleston. Ronnie doesn't have anything to worry about, but a couple of the shortstops play sporty one-pocket (eight and out is a good move...). I've never seen either of them do anything that made me do a double-take and say "wowza" but either of them can bank and run the balls out if you leave them the slightest inkling of a shot.

T-dog says Des Moines doesn't have one-pocket or 9-footers, which bums me out, because my wife and I had decided on either Des Moines or Shreveport. Then I found out his morning that Shreveport was no longer an option, so Des Moines is in. Oh, well... I'll just have to spring for that GCII I've always wanted, and spend my next 3 years watching one-hole tapes... That doesn't sound so bad. :)

Dave

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
cycopath said:
You could stop in Milton, FL at Hidden Pockets. I'm sure John Schmidt would give you a game. Bring the greenbacks though, I don't think John gets into too many cheap games. :)
I can get a cheap game with John anytime, I've known him since we were both 17. He started playing at my fathers poolhall in Hesperia, Ca. back then and it is really amazing to see how far his game has come.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
thebigdog said:
I can get a cheap game with John anytime, I've known him since we were both 17. He started playing at my fathers poolhall in Hesperia, Ca. back then and it is really amazing to see how far his game has come.

Hey Bigdog,

Yeah, I would put Schmidt in the top 20 or so American born players. He really has no weaknesses, except for perhaps being somewhat of a prima donna. He's sort of a Calif. version of Mississippi's Reed Pierce... John seems to have the characteristics which most high level poolplayers have: intelligence, great hand/eye coordination, aggressiveness, self-centeredness, and the natural ability to be an expert con man.

I don't know whether you've kept in touch with him, but he has a very beneficial deal with the owner of Hidden Pockets (?) in Milton, FL. He gets a nice monthly salary, and tournament/expense money; plus the guy bought him a brand new Diamond table to practice on. I don't know what the PC deal is, if any.

He does get a little down on himself and whiney when he's losing a match he oughtn't be, and although that's pretty typical of many top players, he'd be even better if he could overcome that (of course wouldn't we ALL be!!). Look at Cliff Joyner-- talk about a stone face! It's not apparent by his facial expression whether he just made a good shot, or a bad one...

Doc

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Hey Bigdog,

Yeah, I would put Schmidt in the top 20 or so American born players. He really has no weaknesses, except for perhaps being somewhat of a prima donna. He's sort of a Calif. version of Mississippi's Reed Pierce... John seems to have the characteristics which most high level poolplayers have: intelligence, great hand/eye coordination, aggressiveness, self-centeredness, and the natural ability to be an expert con man.

I don't know whether you've kept in touch with him, but he has a very beneficial deal with the owner of Hidden Pockets (?) in Milton, FL. He gets a nice monthly salary, and tournament/expense money; plus the guy bought him a brand new Diamond table to practice on. I don't know what the PC deal is, if any.

He does get a little down on himself and whiney when he's losing a match he oughtn't be, and although that's pretty typical of many top players, he'd be even better if he could overcome that (of course wouldn't we ALL be!!). Look at Cliff Joyner-- talk about a stone face! It's not apparent by his facial expression whether he just made a good shot, or a bad one...

Doc
Doc you are definately right about John being a little whiney. Although I think he has gotten a little better than he was before. He used to be so bad you couldn't even stand to be around him sometimes. He defineately worked very hard to get where he is. I've seen a lot of other guys who the game came to them a lot more naturally, be he is for sure the most tenacious guy I knew back then. Always trying to get a game, always working on his game. It doesn't surprise me to see that out of all the young guys I grew up playing with, he is the one who made it to the highest level.

cycopath

Verified Member
From
Alabama Gulf Coast
Cheap play

Cheap play

thebigdog said:
I can get a cheap game with John anytime, I've known him since we were both 17.

Of course I was excluding family and friends from the list of money games. ;)

John kind of took my little step brother under his wing, and would play him races to 10 for $10. Now that's pretty friggin' cheap! But John would just be kind of showing him different shots and stuff while they played. I have a lot of respect for a guy that'll do that for a kid that's just starting to get his game working.