• Show
Clear All

• Which city has the best pool scene?

I have been given the choice of the following duty stations:

Des Moines, Iowa
    Butte, Montana
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Houston, Texas

Where am I most likely to find a one-pocket scene?

DavAmundo

I also have the same question

I am in the Coast Guard here in the bay area have one more year left on this assignment. Some possiblilities for me are San Francisco again lots of strong one pocket here, Boston, Charleston, SC. Miami, Fl. Panama City, Fl. Honolulu, and Mobile, Al. Any of these other cities have good one pocket scenes?

Comment

Originally posted by thebigdog
      I am in the Coast Guard here in the bay area have one more year left on this assignment. Some possiblilities for me are San Francisco again lots of strong one pocket here, Boston, Charleston, SC. Miami, Fl. Panama City, Fl. Honolulu, and Mobile, Al. Any of these other cities have good one pocket scenes?
      Sadly, Boston is fairly One Pocket deprived these days.
      I don't see how you could top San Francisco...
      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
      -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Of the four cities mentions I would hazard a guess and go with Shreveport or Houston.
        I shoot pool like I make love - I'm not very good but do have a lot of fun trying.

Comment

Des Moines?

I dont know which is harder to find in Des Moines - - A 1hole player or a nine footer to play them on.

Comment

"In the land of the fruits and nuts..."

Originally posted by NH Steve
            Sadly, Boston is fairly One Pocket deprived these days.
            I don't see how you could top San Francisco...
            One-pocket is certainly played in San Francisco; mostly I suspect at Delbert Wong's room, Family Billiards. However the gambling action is low. In fact if two guys match up playing even for $100 a game, the word quickly gets out, and poolplayers come from 9 counties to just watch in awe and amazement.

Either Houston or Shreveport would be my pick. There are lots more good players in Houston, but Shreveport and Louisiana are nicer places to live. Plus living in Shreveport gives one reasonably easy access to other pool playing communities for both tournaments and action. If one likes to bet high, then Louisiana is the place to be.

Good luck!

Doc
            Last edited by gulfportdoc; 09-12-2004, 10:48 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

davamundo,I am in the Navy also and would have to wonder what type of duty station is in these places,but would definetly pick Houston for the action and its not that far a drive from La. Bigdog,I have been stationed in all the places you mention and Miami is without a doubt the best or a definet close 2nd to S.F.

Comment

California has some 1Pkt Action

San Francisco and Mountian View (Bay Area), Sacramento, and the LA area are all PRIME locations for some 1Pkt action.
                Been practicing more and more... still need a consistant stroke and glasses

Comment

Whatever you do, don't pick Boston for its one-pocket. If you say one pocket here, people think you are talking about some messed up form of 9 ball, and if they see a one pocket game in progess then they think you can't break.

One Pocket is has pretty much taken a dirt nap in Boston

kollegedave

Comment

Where do you play in Boston?
                    Paul

Comment

Charleston

I lived near Charleston for about a year back in 2000. Though it is mostly a nine-ball town, you can find one pocket action among the better players in Charleston and Summerville which is about twenty minutes away. I would give two thumbs up for Charleston as a place to live. The night life, beaches, and food are fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by davAmundo
                        I have been given the choice of the following duty stations:

Des Moines, Iowa
                        Butte, Montana
                        Shreveport, Louisiana
                        Houston, Texas

Where am I most likely to find a one-pocket scene?

DavAmundo
                        All pool players play one pocket in Houston. They are on the stall if they say they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc
                          One-pocket is certainly played in San Francisco; mostly I suspect at Delbert Wong's room, Family Billiards. However the gambling action is low. In fact if two guys match up playing even for $100 a game, the word quickly gets out, and poolplayers come from 9 counties to just watch in awe and amazement.

Either Houston or Shreveport would be my pick. There are lots more good players in Houston, but Shreveport and Louisiana are nicer places to live. Plus living in Shreveport gives one reasonably easy access to other pool playing communities for both tournaments and action. If one likes to bet high, then Louisiana is the place to be.

Good luck!

Doc
                          Hey Doc,
                          What do you know about Mobile, and Panama City?

Comment

Originally posted by thebigdog
                            Hey Doc,
                            What do you know about Mobile, and Panama City?
                            Well, they could both be under water by Thursday afternoon... Jokes aside, I think unfortunately Hurricane Ivan will keep moving west. It may even hit me right on the nose in Gulfport, Miss.; or perhaps travel to New Orleans. Hell, JoeyA might even have to take a day off practicing pool!

There's quite a bit of action at Breakers Billiards in Mobile. Several solid 1P players, along with a few thieves and lock artists. High dollar action can break out there at any time. Panama City is a beautiful town, but to my knowledge there's minimal action. There's only one room that I know of, which is owned by Lee Paul and his wife-- two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Lee is a strong shortstop. Pelican might be able to add more to your query.

Doc

Comment

Hidden Pockets

You could stop in Milton, FL at Hidden Pockets. I'm sure John Schmidt would give you a game. Bring the greenbacks though, I don't think John gets into too many cheap games.

Comment

Working...
                              X