Hello Everyone

OldSchool

Verified Member
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself (by screen name). I have been reading and enjoying this great pool site and forum for a long time, and up until now I’ve been content to just read the posts and not write anything myself. I decided to finally join up mainly because what I hate more than anything in the world is B.S. and there's too much of it going around. And I can witness to certain truths about players and events that happened back in the old days. As for who I am, let me say these things: I’m in my 60’s and I’ve been seriously around the pool world for some 45 years - many shortstops, road-warriors and champions of the past are friends or acquaintances of mine, and so are some members of this forum. I was lucky enough that my line of work allowed me to travel, and so I was able to be around and involved in a lot of the action and tournaments of the 60’s through the 90’s. Among other places, in the 60’s I was in New York at 7-11 watching Ervolino play, years later at the Rack in Detroit when ‘Jew Paul’s’ action was off the charts, in Texas with my old friend ‘Bananas’, in Bensingers in Chicago when Artie was doing his thing, out west at the Stardust Tournaments and watching Ronnie and Keith play, sweating ‘Flyboy’ in the deep south, and hanging around countless other places. I played pretty sporty myself, and also stake-horsed, side-betted and railbirded. I saw most every shortstop and champion play, and since I did a lot of side-betting and matching up, I made it my business to know exactly how most everybody played. As for forum members here, over the past decades I watched up close and personal, Grady, Artie, Ronnie, Billy and the Beard play many many times. As I said, I know the truth about a lot of things and players from the past and I'm going to make a few reports. Some on here know a lot more than they're willing to say, but because of past partnerships, egos, possibility of future business dealings, etc. they bite their tongue. I don't have that situation so I will be spilling some beans. And I have no anger or dislike for anyone here, my ONLY reason for talking about the past will be to bring out the truth. You’ll be hearing from me.

Have a nice day everyone, OldSchool

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
OldSchool said:
I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself (by screen name). I have been reading and enjoying this great pool site and forum for a long time, and up until now I’ve been content to just read the posts and not write anything myself. I decided to finally join up mainly because what I hate more than anything in the world is B.S. and there's too much of it going around. And I can witness to certain truths about players and events that happened back in the old days. As for who I am, let me say these things: I’m in my 60’s and I’ve been seriously around the pool world for some 45 years - many shortstops, road-warriors and champions of the past are friends or acquaintances of mine, and so are some members of this forum. I was lucky enough that my line of work allowed me to travel, and so I was able to be around and involved in a lot of the action and tournaments of the 60’s through the 90’s. Among other places, in the 60’s I was in New York at 7-11 watching Ervolino play, years later at the Rack in Detroit when ‘Jew Paul’s’ action was off the charts, in Texas with my old friend ‘Bananas’, in Bensingers in Chicago when Artie was doing his thing, out west at the Stardust Tournaments and watching Ronnie and Keith play, sweating ‘Flyboy’ in the deep south, and hanging around countless other places. I played pretty sporty myself, and also stake-horsed, side-betted and railbirded. I saw most every shortstop and champion play, and since I did a lot of side-betting and matching up, I made it my business to know exactly how most everybody played. As for forum members here, over the past decades I watched up close and personal, Grady, Artie, Ronnie, Billy and the Beard play many many times. As I said, I know the truth about a lot of things and players from the past and I'm going to make a few reports. Some on here know a lot more than they're willing to say, but because of past partnerships, egos, possibility of future business dealings, etc. they bite their tongue. I don't have that situation so I will be spilling some beans. And I have no anger or dislike for anyone here, my ONLY reason for talking about the past will be to bring out the truth. You’ll be hearing from me.

Welcome to the asylum Old School. Sounds like you have credentials. Please do not divulge the story about the time I went 6 mos. without booking a winner.(it was actually 8 mos.) It will NOT be recieved gracefully.

Titanic Dick

PS I think I know your identity, If I PM you, will you 'fess up ? Are your initials G.N. ? Did your business/career involve enviromental clean-up and
consultation re; EPA laws. Or you may be "Surfer Rod" (IRS expert.) I could be wrong, but either way if you wish to remain anonymous, I would never "out" you.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Welcome to our little leper colony, OldSchool. Sounds like you've been around a little bit; and also that you've paid attention in grammar class! Looking forward to your stories~

Art "Doc" Tripp
The other Artie

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
gulfportdoc said:
Welcome to our little leper colony, OldSchool. Sounds like you've been around a little bit; and also that you've paid attention in grammar class! Looking forward to your stories~

Art "Doc" Tripp
The other Artie

You know there are no OTHER Arties, Doc. So, we are going to have to give you a "New?" Handle here. How about,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ed Marimba??? Go ahead and explain that one.........

Any way,,,,,,,,,,,,,welcome to the boards, OldSchool. I think most here know of what you refer to about outing the TRUTH. You are right, what good will it do? Also, what part of the country are you from? Spend the most time? Any chance I know you? Or vice versa? You can at least color me, INTERESTED...

SJDinPHX

Suspended
hemicudas said:
You know there are no OTHER Arties, Doc. So, we are going to have to give you a "New?" Handle here. How about,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ed Marimba??? Go ahead and explain that one.........

Any way,,,,,,,,,,,,,welcome to the boards, OldSchool. I think most here know of what you refer to about outing the TRUTH. You are right, what good will it do? Also, what part of the country are you from? Spend the most time? Any chance I know you? Or vice versa? You can at least color me, INTERESTED...

Bill, check out my edit. I would bet major cents, he is one of the two I mentioned. The only thing that confuses me is, only one of my choices may have been close friends with Rodriguez. (Banana's) 'O what a tangled web we weave......:eek:
Dick

Last edited:

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
.....congrats on your first post.........'bout time some one turned on the lights .....startin' to feel like a mushroom here....all the darkness and BS.....lol....

SJDinPHX

Suspended
onepocket926 said:
.....congrats on your first post.........'bout time some one turned on the lights .....startin' to feel like a mushroom here....all the darkness and BS.....lol....

If you walked into your favorite poolroom and didn't hear BS, would you want to stay ? BS is the attraction. These sterile, truth-telling new youngsters, are no fun at all. :)

Ti Di

Last edited:

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...my bad....

...my bad....

Dick Mc Morran said:
If you walked into your favorite poolroom and didn't hear BS, would you want to stay ? BS is the attraction. These sterile, truth-telling new youngsters, are no fun at all. :)

Ti Di

...lol...your absolutly right Dick...my bad....lol...if it wasn't for my BS...I probably wouldn't get any action from the kids...they certainly wouldn't play me to learn anything...cause' I'm sure they already know it all....lol...I guess I should not have said "I'm tired of the BS"...I should have said..." I'm tired of the....BS....lol... :)

OldSchool

Verified Member
?

?

Dick & Bill,
I apologize for the mystery, but for now I prefer to be anonymous. Down the road I might pm you about who I am. I might be who you're thinking of.

Take er easy, OldSchool

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
No Problem, OS

No Problem, OS

OldSchool said:
Dick & Bill,
I apologize for the mystery, but for now I prefer to be anonymous. Down the road I might pm you about I am. I might be who you're thinking of.

Take er easy, OldSchool

Why don't you just pick a nom-de-plume, OldSchool? Many of us here have used them. Our own, Gulfport Doc, probably has more than the rest of us combined, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Tripp . He also might be the most famous or is that infamous? Any way, he is a pretty good dude. I look forward to his One Pocket tournament in November.

If you care to play in Doc's tournament, OS, you will have to give up some kind of name because it is handicapped.

Skin

Verified Member
OldSchool said:

Caveat emptor

Skin

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Skin said:
Caveat emptor

Skin

Yes, but what is he selling ? Blackmail insurance ? You can't blackmail a pool player, can you ? Artie, did you finally hire a ghostwriter/stenographer ? :)

Ti Di

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
????

????

OldSchool said:

Do'nt I know you, sir?

the Beard

OldSchool

Verified Member
Not Really

Not Really

gulfportdoc said:

Art "Doc" Tripp
The other Artie

Doc, I said I was going to tell the truth here, so I'll start here. Thanks for the grammar compliment but I don't deserve it. My grammar isn't this good. I have one of my kids typing and editing for me. lol

OldSchool

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Another Chicago Homey ?????

Another Chicago Homey ?????

OldSchool said:
Doc, I said I was going to tell the truth here, so I'll start here. Thanks for the grammar compliment but I don't deserve it. My grammar isn't this good. I have one of my kids typing and editing for me. lol

OldSchool

Well $Bill, there goes our theory on who O.S could, or couldn't be. :rolleyes:

Dick

PS His new thread still makes me think Artie hired a ghost writer. :cool:

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
That's What I'm Known For............MY THINKING !

That's What I'm Known For............MY THINKING !

I think it's Cecil "Buddy" Hall on his kid's computer. :eek:
Doug
( or Bucktooth..............hell, it might even be a goil ) :)

Last edited:

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
To Sleep, Perchance To Dream........ of my next GUESS

To Sleep, Perchance To Dream........ of my next GUESS

:eek: I just received a Special Delivery Telegram notifying me that 'OldSchool' is Fast Larry. :eek:

Doug
( I shot the messenger ) :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Smorgass Bored said:
:eek: I just received a Special Delivery Telegram notifying me that 'OldSchool' is Fast Larry. :eek:

Doug
( I shot the messenger ) :D

Fast Larry who ??? Dammit why'd you shoot the messenger. Honestlly Doug, Sometimes I think your head is just a convenient place for you to stuff food. IMO :rolleyes:

Dick

Last edited:

OldSchool

Verified Member
Smorgass Bored said:
I think it's Cecil "Buddy" Hall on his kid's computer. :eek:
Doug
( or Bucktooth..............hell, it might even be a goil ) :)

Actually Smorg, we've met before, and we wound up having a physical confrontation. We were both at the same banquet, and what happened was, on the buffet table there was just one pork chop and one piece of banana cream pie left, and when I was at the table taking these last two items, you had a big problem with that. It started to get ugly and physical, but then I gave in and compromised with you. I let you have the pork chop, and I took the piece of pie. I'm sure you remember this, so now you know who I am.

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
BURP ! Excuuuuuuuuse ME !

BURP ! Excuuuuuuuuse ME !

OldSchool said:
Actually Smorg, we've met before, and we wound up having a physical confrontation. We were both at the same banquet, and what happened was, on the buffet table there was just one pork chop and one piece of banana cream pie left, and when I was at the table taking these last two items, you had a big problem with that. It started to get ugly and physical, but then I gave in and compromised with you. I let you have the pork chop, and I took the piece of pie.
I'm sure you remember this, so now you know who I am.

Not really, but I've now got you narrowed down to possibly 300 people. :eek: It would have been a much larger field, had you said that you gave me the banana cream pie.

Doug