Best Alltime One Pocket Players

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
I agree Eric and it's time for it to be resurrected:) .

I agree.... kinda weird how it just ended like that, huh?

Always interesting how a thread ends... The life and death of a thread by Couldnt C. Itcoming

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Needed a comma

Needed a comma

Originally Posted by Artie Bodendorfer
But 35 years ago the had a great and big one pocket field the greatest ever in the world. The had Edie Taylor Bugs Ronnie Allen Bosten Shorty Marvine Henderson Jersey Red Grady Mathues Cinn Clem Harold Worst Edie Kelly Nick Varner Jimmy Fousco Pittsburg Billy Steve Cook Corn Bread Red Cannon Ball Blackie Squarll Chriss Mageean Mike Carillo Richie Florence Mexican Johnny Det Whity Baby Face Eral Hisler Steve Mizrack Buddy Hall Mike Siegal And many more. THIS IS THE GREATEST FIELD OFF ONE POCKET PLAYERS IN LIFE.

Did they really call Earl Heisler, "Baby-Face"? I had never heard him referred to as Baby-Face Heisler and he lived right here in my town.

I guess I only knew him when he grew the old stoic face.

JoeyA

If Joey could have visualized a comma between Baby Face and "Eral Hisler." Arties line would have made sense.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
Originally Posted by Artie
EdieTaylorBugsRonnieAllenBostenShortyMarvineHendersonJerseyRedGradyMathuesCinnClemHaroldWorstEdieKellyNickVarnerJimmyFouscoPittsburg Billy SteveCookCornBreadRedCannonBallBlackieSquarllChrissMageeanMikeCarilloRichieFlorenceMexicanJohnnyDetWhityBabyFaceEralHislerSteveMizrackBuddyHallMikeSiegal

If Joey could have visualized a comma between Baby Face and "Eral Hisler." Arties line would have made sense.

Beard

Freddy,

Do you mean to say that this is not all one guy?:confused:

RBL

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
Originally Posted by Artie Bodendorfer
But 35 years ago the had a great and big one pocket field the greatest ever in the world. The had Edie Taylor Bugs Ronnie Allen Bosten Shorty Marvine Henderson Jersey Red Grady Mathues Cinn Clem Harold Worst Edie Kelly Nick Varner Jimmy Fousco Pittsburg Billy Steve Cook Corn Bread Red Cannon Ball Blackie Squarll Chriss Mageean Mike Carillo Richie Florence Mexican Johnny Det Whity Baby Face Eral Hisler Steve Mizrack Buddy Hall Mike Siegal And many more. THIS IS THE GREATEST FIELD OFF ONE POCKET PLAYERS IN LIFE.

Did they really call Earl Heisler, "Baby-Face"? I had never heard him referred to as Baby-Face Heisler and he lived right here in my town.

I guess I only knew him when he grew the old stoic face.

JoeyA

Beard
since we are resurrecting old trheads tell me about "baby face and earl heisler

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Great Post

Great Post

I read and re-read this post... specifically the points on ball movement and position play during the mid-game... Absolutely a great, informative, read...

Thanks,
B

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Freddy

Freddy

What I have been curious about is how you and only you feel about a few things...

How do you think Efren would fare against Cornbread or RA on a 5x10 with fairly tough pockets? Conversely who would like it on buckets? Climate and humidity could contriibute, but lets leave that alone..

Do you feel that PRIME vs PRIME would have similar results? (Though it is theoretical and very debateable)

Do you feel that a moving mans game is weakened on a smaller table(say going from 5x10 to 4-1/2x9) because I do. And would a gunslinger tend to naturally leave less firing aggressively at his hole on a 5x10? Lacking experience on the 5x10 I couldn't possibly answer these ???'s. I do know that I am very comfortable on a 9 footer, where an 8 footer caps off some options that are no-brainers on larger tables. I think you see what I'm getting at now.

It may be interesting to later see replies out of other old-timers, Billy, Grady, and Dick concerning this, however I would tend to think your opinion on this may be as well grounded as ANY.

bstroud

Verified Member
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about who was the best player is the equipment.

One pocket is a different game on Simmonis cloth than it used to be.

Perhaps because I quit playing for 20 years I notice it more than most.

I used to run 8 and out a lot on the old slower cloth. Now on the fast cloth I run 10 or 13 and out.

It's nothing to see Frost run balls now but imagine what Kelly or Taylor would be doing today. The balls open up so easily and never seem to stick together.

I agree with Artie. It's hard to compare what Efferin is doing today with what the great players of the past did. All I know is players like Taylor and Kelly found a way to win no matter what the conditions. I think they would do the same today and be the best players.

Bill Stroud

Deeman

Verified Member
bstroud said:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about who was the best player is the equipment.

One pocket is a different game on Simmonis cloth than it used to be.

Perhaps because I quit playing for 20 years I notice it more than most.

I used to run 8 and out a lot on the old slower cloth. Now on the fast cloth I run 10 or 13 and out.

It's nothing to see Frost run balls now but imagine what Kelly or Taylor would be doing today. The balls open up so easily and never seem to stick together.

I agree with Artie. It's hard to compare what Efferin is doing today with what the great players of the past did. All I know is players like Taylor and Kelly found a way to win no matter what the conditions. I think they would do the same today and be the best players.

Bill Stroud

Bill, Do you remember how long spin stayed on a ball off the rails with the old Simonis? I agree on the clustering that happened as well.

DeeMan

bstroud

Verified Member
I have been playing lately with the Arimath Pro measles ball.
What crap.

The cue ball acts like the old red dot. When it hits anything it just stops.
Like to see anyone play 14-1 with this thing.
Same at one pocket. It just sticks to everything.

Simmonis is another problem. Balls skid. Everything except the cue ball is open.
Too easy to run balls.
Is this the setup used in tournaments? Not that there is any money in them anyway.

Bill Stroud

senor

Verified Member
bstroud said:
I have been playing lately with the Arimath Pro measles ball.
What crap.

The cue ball acts like the old red dot. When it hits anything it just stops.
Like to see anyone play 14-1 with this thing.
Same at one pocket. It just sticks to everything.

Simmonis is another problem. Balls skid. Everything except the cue ball is open.
Too easy to run balls.
Is this the setup used in tournaments? Not that there is any money in them anyway.

Bill Stroud

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
senor said:
Agreed, agreed and agreed.

Adjusting to conditions, cue ball, fast/slow cloth, dry/wet tables, etc.,I used to consider one of my long suits. These days, I seem to still prefer the older, slightly slower slower, simonis cloth. Also, I never have adjusted to the springiness of the Diamond rails either. I guess "can't teach an old dog, new tricks" may be a very wise addage.

I also agree, the measle ball just seems to be less lively, and responsive, than the old blue circle cue ball, especially when paired with the Centennial, or Pro Arimith balls.

I wonder how much personal preference enters into it though, because the top tier players, seem to have no trouble adjusting to it. However, if you notice, in Scott's new "Power One Pocket" DVD, he uses the red circle (or dot) cue ball, which seems to be his preference, given a choice. Head up high $$$ action, at Kolby's, among the better player's, (Bernie, Scott, Mitch etc.) is rarely, if ever, played with a measle ball. (nor are the tournaments) Wonder why :confused: :p

PS..Attn; Mr. Stroud...Did you catch your indirect, third party challenge, in the "Official DCC match-ups" thread ?...You may have action if you go to the DCC..:D

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Adjusting to conditions, cue ball, fast/slow cloth, dry/wet tables, etc.,I used to consider one of my long suits. These days, I seem to still prefer the older, slightly slower slower, simonis cloth. Also, I never have adjusted to the springiness of the Diamond rails either. I guess "can't teach an old dog, new tricks" may be a very wise addage.

I also agree, the measle ball just seems to be less lively, and responsive, than the old blue circle cue ball, especially when paired with the Centennial balls.

I wonder how much personal preference enters into it though, because the top tier players, seem to have no trouble adjusting to it. However, if you notice Scott's new "Power One Pocket" DVD, he uses the red circle (or dot) cue ball, which seems to be his preference, given a choice.I

PS.. Attn. Mr. Stroud...Did you catch your indirect, third party challenge, in the "Official DCC match-ups" thread ?...You may have action if you go to the DCC..:D

I don't like the measles ball either but with my game, why cares? :)

Are we going to ply Mr. Stroud with Yukon Jack before the action starts?

The youngsters like Scott play so well they don't care if they use a mud ball! I really hate to hear about Efren, he makes the show so interesting each year. We'll have to let the Dick/Bill Match make up for it.

DeeMan

cuesmith

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
That's a pretty good run down. I wonder, did you ever see 'Clem' play? He is the other player (besides Artie) active during the time frame you are talking about, that always had a reputation on tightly controling the game...

Clem was one of the best of all times at one pocket.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
...I also agree, the measle ball just seems to be less lively, and responsive, than the old blue circle cue ball, especially when paired with the Centennial, or Pro Arimith balls.
The problem with the "measles" ball is that it has the "measles" on it. Many are put off by the ball, including me. Although after playing with it a little while, I don't notice those silly red spots on the ball. When a cue ball obviously looks different, it's naturally going to make guys believe that it plays much differently than the CBs they're accustomed to using.

In my view the measles ball is livelier. The ball seems to have more subtle reactions, and is more sensitive than is the red circle or the Super Aramith. I seem to be able to "work" the ball better. There again, the snowy white measles ball seems livelier to me in contrast to the more opaque colored measles ball.

Reportedly they'll use the red circle ball at DCC. What I'm interested in seeing at the Derby is how the new Diamond rails play. Reportedly all the tables will have the new rails on them. I've heard reports that they play more like the Gold Crowns.

Doc

lfigueroa

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
The problem with the "measles" ball is that it has the "measles" on it. Many are put off by the ball, including me. Although after playing with it a little while, I don't notice those silly red spots on the ball. When a cue ball obviously looks different, it's naturally going to make guys believe that it plays much differently than the CBs they're accustomed to using.

In my view the measles ball is livelier. The ball seems to have more subtle reactions, and is more sensitive than is the red circle or the Super Aramith. I seem to be able to "work" the ball better. There again, the snowy white measles ball seems livelier to me in contrast to the more opaque colored measles ball.

Reportedly they'll use the red circle ball at DCC. What I'm interested in seeing at the Derby is how the new Diamond rails play. Reportedly all the tables will have the new rails on them. I've heard reports that they play more like the Gold Crowns.

Doc

My observation has been that the rail issue was fixed a couple of years ago and the tables play "normal" now. However, there are a lot of tables there and I suspect that they are, perhaps, swapped out over time. So there may be a few of the older "boingier" rails left in the mix -- but that's pure speculation on my part based upon some unexpected boings the last year or two.

And yes, they use the red circle.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lfigueroa said:
My observation has been that the rail issue was fixed a couple of years ago and the tables play "normal" now. However, there are a lot of tables there and I suspect that they are, perhaps, swapped out over time. So there may be a few of the older "boingier" rails left in the mix -- but that's pure speculation on my part based upon some unexpected boings the last year or two.

And yes, they use the red circle.
You may be right, Lou. I'm going by some posts from the table mechanic, "King Cobra", who does work for Diamond. I'm pretty sure he said that all the rails on the DCC tables have been replaced with the new cushions.

The "boingy" tables would be okay with me, since I'm used to the traditional Diamonds. For my part it doesn't matter what cushions they use. They're all going to play differently from the cushion action we're used to down here, where there is actually some moisture in the air. The aridity will make the Arizona crowd very happy...

I'm disappointed that they use the red circle CB. I like that ball for banks or rotation games; but for my taste, the red circle is too dull for the intricacies of one-pocket.;)

Doc
has artiste envy

bstroud

Verified Member
I have a red circle pro ball on the way to try.
I'll let you know what I think.

I talked to Diamond the other day and they are putting the same rubber as the gold crown 1 on their new tables. Now if they would get some real cloth?

Bill Stroud