Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble

Originally posted by Artie Bodendorfer
    I player can even tell you the ining is over and tell you to spot the balls and its his shot. Because thier are no more balls on the table. Thier are lots of things that can come up if thier not clear ahead of time.

But he would never get away with that if Sugar Shack was there.

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona
      I think that you gave a perfect reason why the game should be played from the position in question. You have made imo perfect sense.
      Thier is difference of opinions so the only fair decision I would give to both sides if make up ahead of time what rule you atre going to play by. THat will end witch way is correct or witch way to play. If you no the rules ahead of time that you are going to play by. Thier is nothing to talk about. Its all cut and dry. No matter witch way you decide. And that goes for any other rule that you are not sure of. Get it staightened out before you play. And avoid arguing latter.

Comment

Thier is difference of opinions so the only fair decision I would give to both sides if make up ahead of time what rule you atre going to play by. THat will end witch way is correct or witch way to play. If you no the rules ahead of time that you are going to play by. Thier is nothing to talk about. Its all cut and dry. No matter witch way you decide. And that goes for any other rule that you are not sure of. Get it staightened out before you play. And avoid arguing latter.
        THis reminds me when I use to play eight ball I always played shoot to hit your ball. I never played one foul cue ball in hand. It makes the game much easier to run the table. And I would never play 3 foules in a row playing eight ball you loose the game. Those are two rules I would change if I played someone eight ball. And those rules were made for tournaments to speed up the game. And I agree with BUddy Hall in his nine ball rule. BUt everything in lfe changes. And one shot shoot out was good for the better shooter. But the changed that rule two. And its the tournaments that change the rules. BUt we live and play by what the rules are. Thats what separates us from the animales.

Comment

I agree

It's always better to make the rules before the balls are broken, but there are certain situations that could develope where the rule wasn't made in advance. I think Rodney gave the correct answer on how that particular problem should of been handled.

Comment

It's always better to make the rules before the balls are broken, but there are certain situations that could develope where the rule wasn't made in advance. I think Rodney gave the correct answer on how that particular problem should of been handled.
            If two players asked me for a decision and the didnt make up the rule ahead of time. I would say spot all the balls. And that would be the farest because thier are no give mees and the player keeps shooting and he still can shoot whatever shot he wants to shoot. And thats a big enough edge you dont have to hand him the game. And if he made a ball in the side pocket and he only owes one ball. What are you going to do spot the one ball and then he makes the ball and then spot the other ball you owe.Thats to easy and I would never give that rule if I was asked to make the decision. That rule is onlt good for the shooter. But if those are the rules that some people want to play by its ok with me. You can play any way you want. its your game.

Comment

If two players asked me for a decision and the didnt make up the rule ahead of time. I would say spot all the balls. And that would be the farest because thier are no give mees and the player keeps shooting and he still can shoot whatever shot he wants to shoot. And thats a big enough edge you dont have to hand him the game. And if he made a ball in the side pocket and he only owes one ball. What are you going to do spot the one ball and then he makes the ball and then spot the other ball you owe.Thats to easy and I would never give that rule if I was asked to make the decision. That rule is onlt good for the shooter. But if those are the rules that some people want to play by its ok with me. You can play any way you want. its your game.
              My rule would be to spot all balls and thats the only way I ever played and thats how I would play it unless I was looking to take advantage of a weeker player then I would be tickled to death to play with the other rules. Gohst dont be looking to steal second base because you will get tagged OUT.

Comment

I think a perfect example of a rule that comes up in one pocket is declaring before
                the game that there are no sleepers. Many players play that if your opponent doesn't declare after your inning that you need to spot a ball (if you owe one) that you don't have to repay it later because he slept it or didn't remember. Many players will state before starting the game that there are no sleepers which I think is the more gentlemanly way to play.

Comment

Ruling

Originally posted by androd
                  I believe his inning is not done since he hasn't missed. I think you should put the remaining ball on the table( the one in the side) on the spot, If the shooter makes it then the two spot balls would be spotted together. It's logical that the spot balls wouldn't come up till his inning was over.
                  PS; The shooter shouldn't be punished because one fell in the side.
                  I thank everone for their input. I do like to see what other players would say in that situation. One point: you say the shooter should not be punished because one fell in the side. I take it a step further and say he shouldn't be punished because he's giving up 9-8 either. Thanks again. And would someone tell me why you would spot a ball owed for a foul before your inning is over? Just because they are there is not a very good reason. Correction: I meant to say why would you spot a ball owed for a foul before you have enough for the game, which would be 9.
                  Last edited by Cowboy Dennis; 01-11-2009, 05:17 AM.

Comment

ok then...

The only way to spot a ball owed for fouling is after the inning at hand, and if the inning continues with no ball to shoot, the ball spots upon pocketing the last ball on the table.

Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis
                    I thank everone for their input. I do like to see what other players would say in that situation. One point: you say the shooter should not be punished because one fell in the side. I take it a step further and say he shouldn't be punished because he's giving up 9-8 either. Thanks again. And would someone tell me why you would spot a ball owed for a foul before your inning is over? Just because they are there is not a very good reason. Correction: I meant to say why would you spot a ball owed for a foul before you have enough for the game, which would be 9.
                    The "Tyrranosaurus" of "One-Porous"..

Comment

that's fair, but

Your ruling on this situation is fair, but doen't have to be technically right. Rodney's ruling states that a player must first fullfill his contract before spotting balls owed by fouling. After all balls are eliminated from the table legally then balls owed from fouls are then spotted.But since there was a ball inadvertently pocketed in the side that ball should first be spotted before spotting penalty balls. For some reason tht's makes good sense, and I would agree with him, but your way is fine as well, providing it's discussed before the balls are broken.

Comment

before the game

Originally posted by philwelch
                        I think a perfect example of a rule that comes up in one pocket is declaring before
                        the game that there are no sleepers. Many players play that if your opponent doesn't declare after your inning that you need to spot a ball (if you owe one) that you don't have to repay it later because he slept it or didn't remember. Many players will state before starting the game that there are no sleepers which I think is the more gentlemanly way to play.
                        Before playing someone I haven't played, I discuss sleepers, base of the ball or touching the line, 3 fouls, double intenional fouls ( pinning the cue ball to the rail with the tip of your stick). I haven't discussed how to spot the balls, common sense should apply. I see here there could be difference of opinion, although I don't see how or why.
                        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
                        (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

spot balls and fouls

Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis
                          You're not punished for giving 9-8 you're punished for fouling. All the times I've played, giving or getting weight, the spot ball (balls) came up with the fouls. If you owed 2 spot balls and 1 foul ball and made 2 balls their was no distinction as to which was which, you just owed 1 more.
                          Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
                          (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Originally posted by androd
                            You're not punished for giving 9-8 you're punished for fouling. All the times I've played, giving or getting weight, the spot ball (balls) came up with the fouls. If you owed 2 spot balls and 1 foul ball and made 2 balls their was no distinction as to which was which, you just owed 1 more.
                            THe reason you spot the balls because thier are no more balls on the table. Unless you want to call the game a draw. And you are not gitting punished by spooting everything because its still your shot. and its ok to play it both ways all you have to do is make up the rule ahead of time. Thier is no wright or wrong her. ITs all about what rule you like and what rule you want to play by. Thier is no wright or wrong her. both ways is ok. And I would like to add one more sinaria if thier were no balls made in any of the other pockets wouldnt you spot the two or 3 balls that you owe. Teckniclke the inning is over because thier are no more balls on the table. And you havant not missed yet so its still your shot. And thier are no more balls on the table so in reality it should be a draw. But thats not how people play it and the want a decision. BUt thier is nothing wrong with playing it both ways.

Comment

In case any of you are not aware, here on OnePocket.org there is a nice and thorough set of rules which address just about every common thing that comes up in One Pocket -- way more than the BCA rules, which are not very helpful for One Pocket, imho.

Here they are, and you can scroll down to line 9.2 to see what our rules say about this particular issue. Of course, because One Pocket is an after hours game, when you are gambling, you and your opponent can negotiate your own exceptions to whatever extent you can agree...

Official One Pocket Rules
                              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                              -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Your ruling on this situation is fair, but doen't have to be technically right. Rodney's ruling states that a player must first fullfill his contract before spotting balls owed by fouling. After all balls are eliminated from the table legally then balls owed from fouls are then spotted.But since there was a ball inadvertently pocketed in the side that ball should first be spotted before spotting penalty balls. For some reason tht's makes good sense, and I would agree with him, but your way is fine as well, providing it's discussed before the balls are broken.
                                THe inning is tecknicaly over when thier are no more balls on the table.

Comment

Working...
                                X