Need ruling from old schoolers

bernie p

Verified Member
A recent 1P situation came up that I have not yet had experience with.

I as player A am giving up 11-8 to player B.

Player B leads 7 to 0 with 0 balls spotted by Player A. (Player A still owes 3 fouls in effect)

Player A then runs the remaining 8 in one inning.

The question is whether Player A then spots all 3 balls at one time and continues to shoot or only spots 1 ball at a time (potentially 3 times) and shoots at that single ball.

A local Phoenix certified referee states that all 3 balls should be spotted after the last remaining ball is potted. A local top 1p phenom (the "Freezer") claims that a single ball is repeatedly spotted. Evidently Scott told me that Efren has in fact done this same exact thing to Scott with Effy making the single ball straight in several times:eek: .

Who is correct?. Is it one of those things that differs between Tournies and gambling, such as the 3 foul rule?

Thanks.

Bernie P.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
bernie p said:
A recent 1P situation came up that I have not yet had experience with.

I as player A am giving up 11-8 to player B.

Player B leads 7 to 0 with 0 balls spotted by Player A. (Player A still owes 3 fouls in effect)

Player A then runs the remaining 8 in one inning.

The question is whether Player A then spots all 3 balls at one time and continues to shoot or only spots 1 ball at a time (potentially 3 times) and shoots at that single ball.

A local Phoenix certified referee states that all 3 balls should be spotted after the last remaining ball is potted. A local top 1p phenom (the "Freezer") claims that a single ball is repeatedly spotted. Evidently Scott told me that Efren has in fact done this same exact thing to Scott with Effy making the single ball straight in several times:eek: .

Who is correct?. Is it one of those things that differs between Tournies and gambling, such as the 3 foul rule?

Thanks.

Bernie P.
Its a great deal for the player giving the spot to spot one ball at a time. He could run a thousand balls that way. You spot all the hall you owe Its real simple if you owe 3 balls and you make 5 balls and thier are still two balls on the table and you play safe dont you spot all three balls. If you are giving the spot and you can get away spoting one ball at a time. Yopu are gitting robed and I sugjest you make up the rules ahead oof time. THJat eliminates all the arguing and scwabling. I never had a [problem in any game I played . I always made up the rules ahead of time if I was playing someone who was looking to get over on me or cheat me.Get the rule straight befose you play. And whatever the rule thats the rule. And if you are playing a creep then you need to get a tough guy and let him her the rule too so thietr wont be no problem.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
my thoughts....

my thoughts....

It is my understanding that you spot as soon as possible - if you are in an inning, your innings end or the end of having no balls on the table would be the ap. time to spot the balls. If you obtain enough balls, they spot at the same time. You can use this to your advantage, leaving the cueball in the spot line or the spot while moving a ball close to the hole as opposed to pocketing the last ball before spotting as well.

jay helfert

Verified Member
philwelch said:
All balls are spotted at one time if available. That is how it has always been played in my neck of the woods.

This is the correct way to play.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Ruling

Ruling

Since this thread has been asked and answered, correctly, let me pose a situation and see what different people might do. I'll start by saying that player A is giving up 9-8 to player B. Player B has 7 balls. Player A needs 9 and one for a foul. Player A starts running balls in his hole and inadvertantly makes one in a side pocket but makes a ball and continues his run until he has 7. From here I have heard different things about how to spot the balls. Most agree that the 15th ball made in the side should be spotted alone. The ball for 9-8 and the one for the foul don't get put up until all 15 balls are gone. Player A gets to shoot at balll on spot and if he makes it you have a decision as to what happens next. There are 2 balls to spot, but I do not think the balls get put up at the same time. I believe a ball owed for a foul gets put up after all others or when the inning ends. Thus the game ball, which is not an owed ball, by the way, gets put up alone. Player A can shoot it and then pay his ball owed for a foul. Do not confuse the ball for the 9-8 with a ball owed for a foul. I think player A has an oppotunity to spot 3 balls , one at a time, and keep making them till he wins. I have heard different things and some agree with me after thinking about it, of course thinking wasn't a strong point in most of the rooms I played in. Just food for thought gentlemen, and maybe to give everyone something to read. And I am talking about a gambling situation, not a tournament.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Since this thread has been asked and answered, correctly, let me pose a situation and see what different people might do. I'll start by saying that player A is giving up 9-8 to player B. Player B has 7 balls. Player A needs 9 and one for a foul. Player A starts running balls in his hole and inadvertantly makes one in a side pocket but makes a ball and continues his run until he has 7. From here I have heard different things about how to spot the balls. Most agree that the 15th ball made in the side should be spotted alone. The ball for 9-8 and the one for the foul don't get put up until all 15 balls are gone. Player A gets to shoot at balll on spot and if he makes it you have a decision as to what happens next. There are 2 balls to spot, but I do not think the balls get put up at the same time. I believe a ball owed for a foul gets put up after all others or when the inning ends. Thus the game ball, which is not an owed ball, by the way, gets put up alone. Player A can shoot it and then pay his ball owed for a foul. Do not confuse the ball for the 9-8 with a ball owed for a foul. I think player A has an oppotunity to spot 3 balls , one at a time, and keep making them till he wins. I have heard different things and some agree with me after thinking about it, of course thinking wasn't a strong point in most of the rooms I played in. Just food for thought gentlemen, and maybe to give everyone something to read. And I am talking about a gambling situation, not a tournament.
All balls and fouls and enenif 4 balls droped in other pockets everything gets spotted when their are no more balls to shoot on the table everything gets spooted. even if you owed 5 balls and 3 balls wint in the side all eight balls get spotted when thier are no more balls left on the table. Unless you and the other player make up different rules before you start playing or the hous has different rules then you go by house rules or the rules you and the other player made up. Thats the way it is and when the gambled for big money in Detroit the called me up for a decison and I gave them my decision. And the didnt go by no rule book or billiard Congress of America. And the two players both seent me one thousand dollares. I think the trusted my decision. And that happened in a nine ball game to up at NOrth Shore. With Tommy spencer. And a black nineball player from Texas. I forgot what his name was. Freddy might no. BUt I didnt get anything for my decision. BUt both players were satisfied.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
I would say, all three balls spot up all at once. Player A has plenty of balls to spot, since they just ran seven, and his inning is done. It's simple, I think :) time to spot all three balls: the one that fell in the side, the second being the one he owed, and the third ball because he is spotting 9-8.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
I would say, all three balls spot up all at once. Player A has plenty of balls to spot, since they just ran seven, and his inning is done. It's simple, I think :) time to spot all three balls: the one that fell in the side, the second being the one he owed, and the third ball because he is spotting 9-8.

I believe his inning is not done since he hasn't missed. I think you should put the remaining ball on the table( the one in the side) on the spot, If the shooter makes it then the two spot balls would be spotted together. It's logical that the spot balls wouldn't come up till his inning was over.
PS; The shooter shouldn't be punished because one fell in the side.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Ruling

Ruling

Thank you for your opinion Artie. I figured most longtime players would say what you said. That's the answer I got most often from the more experienced players. N.H.Steve, the shooters inning is not over until he misses or wins. And whether or not he does one thing or another should not depend on if he just ran 7 balls. There should be a valid reason for anyones conclusion. I gave mine and I could be wrong. Just let me say once more, I put a great distinction between the 3 balls to be spotted. In my opinion, the 15 balls must be gone from play before anthing else is even considered. Please note that the ball for the 9-8 spot is not an owed ball. It is not a penalty. It simply is a game ball. Therefore, in my opinion, it should be spotted before the one for the foul. You do not pay fouls before you have enough for the game. Let me add one more thing, I enjoy and respect everyones opinions on this site. I just want a well thought out reason for your ruling. Either way it goes. Please give your reasons.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
Thank you for your opinion Artie. I figured most longtime players would say what you said. That's the answer I got most often from the more experienced players. N.H.Steve, the shooters inning is not over until he misses or wins. And whether or not he does one thing or another should not depend on if he just ran 7 balls. There should be a valid reason for anyones conclusion. I gave mine and I could be wrong. Just let me say once more, I put a great distinction between the 3 balls to be spotted. In my opinion, the 15 balls must be gone from play before anthing else is even considered. Please note that the ball for the 9-8 spot is not an owed ball. It is not a penalty. It simply is a game ball. Therefore, in my opinion, it should be spotted before the one for the foul. You do not pay fouls before you have enough for the game. Let me add one more thing, I enjoy and respect everyones opinions on this site. I just want a well thought out reason for your ruling. Either way it goes. Please give your reasons.
Yeah, I misunderstood your scenario because I thought his inning was over. But that doesn't change my interpretation of the rules; I still think all three balls come up. Why would there be an exception because a ball fell in a neutral pocket?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Yeah, I misunderstood your scenario because I thought his inning was over. But that doesn't change my interpretation of the rules; I still think all three balls come up. Why would there be an exception because a ball fell in a neutral pocket?
The best rule and advice I can give to everyone. ITs your game and the player you are playing you both can make up your own rules the way you want to. You dont have to go by the rule book or the rules or the house rules. You can both agree to any rule you make and any GAme you play. Its your game and you can make your own rules if the other player agrees. But I would sugjest not to make to meny different rules unless thats what you enjoy doing. And make sure you make those rules up before you play. So you dont get in a discoussion for a houer. THe foucus is on playing the game. Its good to get the rule straight even in tournaments that have a reffere. I remember one guy all he wanted to do was argue and interped the rules different. And I told him he missed his role in life he should have been a attorney. BUt if you make up the rules you want to play by. I would say make the up before you play.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
The best rule and advice I can give to everyone. ITs your game and the player you are playing you both can make up your own rules the way you want to. You dont have to go by the rule book or the rules or the house rules. You can both agree to any rule you make and any GAme you play. Its your game and you can make your own rules if the other player agrees. But I would sugjest not to make to meny different rules unless thats what you enjoy doing. And make sure you make those rules up before you play. So you dont get in a discoussion for a houer. THe foucus is on playing the game. Its good to get the rule straight even in tournaments that have a reffere. I remember one guy all he wanted to do was argue and interped the rules different. And I told him he missed his role in life he should have been a attorney. BUt if you make up the rules you want to play by. I would say make the up before you play.
I player can even tell you the ining is over and tell you to spot the balls and its his shot. Because thier are no more balls on the table. Thier are lots of things that can come up if thier not clear ahead of time.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
THAT'S THE WAY i SEE IT

THAT'S THE WAY i SEE IT

androd said:
I believe his inning is not done since he hasn't missed. I think you should put the remaining ball on the table( the one in the side) on the spot, If the shooter makes it then the two spot balls would be spotted together. It's logical that the spot balls wouldn't come up till his inning was over.
PS; The shooter shouldn't be punished because one fell in the side.

I think that you gave a perfect reason why the game should be played from the position in question. You have made imo perfect sense.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
trouble

trouble

Artie Bodendorfer said:
I player can even tell you the ining is over and tell you to spot the balls and its his shot. Because thier are no more balls on the table. Thier are lots of things that can come up if thier not clear ahead of time.

But he would never get away with that if Sugar Shack was there.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
I think that you gave a perfect reason why the game should be played from the position in question. You have made imo perfect sense.
Thier is difference of opinions so the only fair decision I would give to both sides if make up ahead of time what rule you atre going to play by. THat will end witch way is correct or witch way to play. If you no the rules ahead of time that you are going to play by. Thier is nothing to talk about. Its all cut and dry. No matter witch way you decide. And that goes for any other rule that you are not sure of. Get it staightened out before you play. And avoid arguing latter.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Thier is difference of opinions so the only fair decision I would give to both sides if make up ahead of time what rule you atre going to play by. THat will end witch way is correct or witch way to play. If you no the rules ahead of time that you are going to play by. Thier is nothing to talk about. Its all cut and dry. No matter witch way you decide. And that goes for any other rule that you are not sure of. Get it staightened out before you play. And avoid arguing latter.
THis reminds me when I use to play eight ball I always played shoot to hit your ball. I never played one foul cue ball in hand. It makes the game much easier to run the table. And I would never play 3 foules in a row playing eight ball you loose the game. Those are two rules I would change if I played someone eight ball. And those rules were made for tournaments to speed up the game. And I agree with BUddy Hall in his nine ball rule. BUt everything in lfe changes. And one shot shoot out was good for the better shooter. But the changed that rule two. And its the tournaments that change the rules. BUt we live and play by what the rules are. Thats what separates us from the animales.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I agree

I agree

Artie Bodendorfer said:

It's always better to make the rules before the balls are broken, but there are certain situations that could develope where the rule wasn't made in advance. I think Rodney gave the correct answer on how that particular problem should of been handled.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
It's always better to make the rules before the balls are broken, but there are certain situations that could develope where the rule wasn't made in advance. I think Rodney gave the correct answer on how that particular problem should of been handled.
If two players asked me for a decision and the didnt make up the rule ahead of time. I would say spot all the balls. And that would be the farest because thier are no give mees and the player keeps shooting and he still can shoot whatever shot he wants to shoot. And thats a big enough edge you dont have to hand him the game. And if he made a ball in the side pocket and he only owes one ball. What are you going to do spot the one ball and then he makes the ball and then spot the other ball you owe.Thats to easy and I would never give that rule if I was asked to make the decision. That rule is onlt good for the shooter. But if those are the rules that some people want to play by its ok with me. You can play any way you want. its your game.