Need ruling from old schoolers

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
If two players asked me for a decision and the didnt make up the rule ahead of time. I would say spot all the balls. And that would be the farest because thier are no give mees and the player keeps shooting and he still can shoot whatever shot he wants to shoot. And thats a big enough edge you dont have to hand him the game. And if he made a ball in the side pocket and he only owes one ball. What are you going to do spot the one ball and then he makes the ball and then spot the other ball you owe.Thats to easy and I would never give that rule if I was asked to make the decision. That rule is onlt good for the shooter. But if those are the rules that some people want to play by its ok with me. You can play any way you want. its your game.
My rule would be to spot all balls and thats the only way I ever played and thats how I would play it unless I was looking to take advantage of a weeker player then I would be tickled to death to play with the other rules. Gohst dont be looking to steal second base because you will get tagged OUT.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
I think a perfect example of a rule that comes up in one pocket is declaring before
the game that there are no sleepers. Many players play that if your opponent doesn't declare after your inning that you need to spot a ball (if you owe one) that you don't have to repay it later because he slept it or didn't remember. Many players will state before starting the game that there are no sleepers which I think is the more gentlemanly way to play.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Ruling

Ruling

androd said:
I believe his inning is not done since he hasn't missed. I think you should put the remaining ball on the table( the one in the side) on the spot, If the shooter makes it then the two spot balls would be spotted together. It's logical that the spot balls wouldn't come up till his inning was over.
PS; The shooter shouldn't be punished because one fell in the side.
I thank everone for their input. I do like to see what other players would say in that situation. One point: you say the shooter should not be punished because one fell in the side. I take it a step further and say he shouldn't be punished because he's giving up 9-8 either. Thanks again. And would someone tell me why you would spot a ball owed for a foul before your inning is over? Just because they are there is not a very good reason. Correction: I meant to say why would you spot a ball owed for a foul before you have enough for the game, which would be 9.

Last edited:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
ok then...

ok then...

The only way to spot a ball owed for fouling is after the inning at hand, and if the inning continues with no ball to shoot, the ball spots upon pocketing the last ball on the table.

Cowboy Dennis said:
I thank everone for their input. I do like to see what other players would say in that situation. One point: you say the shooter should not be punished because one fell in the side. I take it a step further and say he shouldn't be punished because he's giving up 9-8 either. Thanks again. And would someone tell me why you would spot a ball owed for a foul before your inning is over? Just because they are there is not a very good reason. Correction: I meant to say why would you spot a ball owed for a foul before you have enough for the game, which would be 9.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
that's fair, but

that's fair, but

Artie Bodendorfer said:
If two players asked me for a decision and the didnt make up the rule ahead of time. I would say spot all the balls. And that would be the farest because thier are no give mees and the player keeps shooting and he still can shoot whatever shot he wants to shoot. And thats a big enough edge you dont have to hand him the game. And if he made a ball in the side pocket and he only owes one ball. What are you going to do spot the one ball and then he makes the ball and then spot the other ball you owe.Thats to easy and I would never give that rule if I was asked to make the decision. That rule is onlt good for the shooter. But if those are the rules that some people want to play by its ok with me. You can play any way you want. its your game.

Your ruling on this situation is fair, but doen't have to be technically right. Rodney's ruling states that a player must first fullfill his contract before spotting balls owed by fouling. After all balls are eliminated from the table legally then balls owed from fouls are then spotted.But since there was a ball inadvertently pocketed in the side that ball should first be spotted before spotting penalty balls. For some reason tht's makes good sense, and I would agree with him, but your way is fine as well, providing it's discussed before the balls are broken.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
before the game

before the game

philwelch said:
I think a perfect example of a rule that comes up in one pocket is declaring before
the game that there are no sleepers. Many players play that if your opponent doesn't declare after your inning that you need to spot a ball (if you owe one) that you don't have to repay it later because he slept it or didn't remember. Many players will state before starting the game that there are no sleepers which I think is the more gentlemanly way to play.

Before playing someone I haven't played, I discuss sleepers, base of the ball or touching the line, 3 fouls, double intenional fouls ( pinning the cue ball to the rail with the tip of your stick). I haven't discussed how to spot the balls, common sense should apply. I see here there could be difference of opinion, although I don't see how or why.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
spot balls and fouls

spot balls and fouls

Cowboy Dennis said:

You're not punished for giving 9-8 you're punished for fouling. All the times I've played, giving or getting weight, the spot ball (balls) came up with the fouls. If you owed 2 spot balls and 1 foul ball and made 2 balls their was no distinction as to which was which, you just owed 1 more.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
You're not punished for giving 9-8 you're punished for fouling. All the times I've played, giving or getting weight, the spot ball (balls) came up with the fouls. If you owed 2 spot balls and 1 foul ball and made 2 balls their was no distinction as to which was which, you just owed 1 more.
THe reason you spot the balls because thier are no more balls on the table. Unless you want to call the game a draw. And you are not gitting punished by spooting everything because its still your shot. and its ok to play it both ways all you have to do is make up the rule ahead of time. Thier is no wright or wrong her. ITs all about what rule you like and what rule you want to play by. Thier is no wright or wrong her. both ways is ok. And I would like to add one more sinaria if thier were no balls made in any of the other pockets wouldnt you spot the two or 3 balls that you owe. Teckniclke the inning is over because thier are no more balls on the table. And you havant not missed yet so its still your shot. And thier are no more balls on the table so in reality it should be a draw. But thats not how people play it and the want a decision. BUt thier is nothing wrong with playing it both ways.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
In case any of you are not aware, here on OnePocket.org there is a nice and thorough set of rules which address just about every common thing that comes up in One Pocket -- way more than the BCA rules, which are not very helpful for One Pocket, imho.

Here they are, and you can scroll down to line 9.2 to see what our rules say about this particular issue. Of course, because One Pocket is an after hours game, when you are gambling, you and your opponent can negotiate your own exceptions to whatever extent you can agree...

Official One Pocket Rules

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Your ruling on this situation is fair, but doen't have to be technically right. Rodney's ruling states that a player must first fullfill his contract before spotting balls owed by fouling. After all balls are eliminated from the table legally then balls owed from fouls are then spotted.But since there was a ball inadvertently pocketed in the side that ball should first be spotted before spotting penalty balls. For some reason tht's makes good sense, and I would agree with him, but your way is fine as well, providing it's discussed before the balls are broken.
THe inning is tecknicaly over when thier are no more balls on the table.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
THe inning is tecknicaly over when thier are no more balls on the table.
This would be a great for everyone voting and seeing witch rule the players like the best. BUt I do not no woh to do that. But it could be fun and interesting. The do it on TV and internet voting. And it would add some interest.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
In case any of you are not aware, here on OnePocket.org there is a nice and thorough set of rules which address just about every common thing that comes up in One Pocket -- way more than the BCA rules, which are not very helpful for One Pocket, imho.

Here they are, and you can scroll down to line 9.2 to see what our rules say about this particular issue. Of course, because One Pocket is an after hours game, when you are gambling, you and your opponent can negotiate your own exceptions to whatever extent you can agree...

Official One Pocket Rules

Thanks, I had no idea, and it absolutly defies common sense.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
androd said:
One reason rules are what they are is to avoid controversy. IMHO, avoiding controversy might even trump common sense :)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Good rule but if you dont like it you can always change it because we are the people who made the rules and we are the people who brack the rules. Humans have a lot of power. THats why people rule.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Controversy

Controversy

NH Steve said:
One reason rules are what they are is to avoid controversy. IMHO, avoiding controversy might even trump common sense :)
Having a friendly argument isn't so bad Steve. I've seen a lot of different thoughts on this question and that would not have happened if not for this site and the contributors to it. But it would be nice to see some opinions posted from all the other players on this site. The usual suspects have given their opinions, where is everyone else?

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
This would be a great for everyone voting and seeing witch rule the players like the best. BUt I do not no woh to do that. But it could be fun and interesting. The do it on TV and internet voting. And it would add some interest.
I said technicality to me that means its still your shot but thier are no more balls on the table. And all the balls have to be spotted that are owed to continuie the game. I can not give a better answer than I gave before in a splite descision and if you didnt make up the rul;es before you played or you dont want to go by one pocket . org rules and you both players asked me for a decision. I would give you the best poable decision I could give and that is play the game over and if the two player dont want to go by playing the game over. THen I would tell them to flip a coin what rule the want to go by. And I cant make it any more farer then that. Because If the cant agree then I can not make a decision that will favor either player. And if the dont want to go for that. Then I would tell them call the session of and next time you play make the rule ahead of time.
And if that doest work then go and see kavorken.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
Having a friendly argument isn't so bad Steve. I've seen a lot of different thoughts on this question and that would not have happened if not for this site and the contributors to it. But it would be nice to see some opinions posted from all the other players on this site. The usual suspects have given their opinions, where is everyone else?
going back to the original post if in the beginingg of the game player A ran three balls and then played safe ,all 3 balls would be spotted. if he cleans the table all three balls would be spotted. using the same reasoning if in the beginning of the game he ran 3 balls and also pocheted a ball in a neutral pocket then played safe all 4 balls would be spotted at the same time. same thing if he cleared the table pocketed a ball in a neutral pocket along the way all 4 balls would be spotted when there were no more balls to shoot. the players inning is not over to me until he misses scratches or fouls.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Game ball

Game ball

Artie Bodendorfer said:
I said technicality to me that means its still your shot but thier are no more balls on the table. And all the balls have to be spotted that are owed to continuie the game. I can not give a better answer than I gave before in a splite descision and if you didnt make up the rul;es before you played or you dont want to go by one pocket . org rules and you both players asked me for a decision. I would give you the best poable decision I could give and that is play the game over and if the two player dont want to go by playing the game over. THen I would tell them to flip a coin what rule the want to go by. And I cant make it any more farer then that. Because If the cant agree then I can not make a decision that will favor either player. And if the dont want to go for that. Then I would tell them call the session of and next time you play make the rule ahead of time.
And if that doest work then go and see kavorken.
Artie, I agree with most of your opinion. But when you say that all owed balls must now be spotted you need to realize that the ball for the 9-8 is not an owed ball. It is part of the game. We refer to it often as an owed ball, but the fact is that it must be spotted to give the player a method of getting to 9.And a ball owed for a foul should not be paid until the shooter runs 9 or misses. By the way, I did go see Kevorkian once. He asked me for three hit and the pick.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
if in the beginning example player A needs to spot 3 for the score but also had 2 fouls and cleared the table you would sot 3 balls when he misses or runs all 3 THEN you would spot the 2 balls owed? i woild have spotted 5 at the same time.but i see your point owed balls are spotted at the END of the inning. so logically i would agree you spot the 3 balls first then the 2 balls.however as i read rule 9.2 all 5 balls would be spotted