Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A "What to do?" from AzB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A "What to do?" from AzB

    Here's a shot that was recently posted over on AzB by "daphish1". I think it's an interesting situation that calls for choosing between at least three viable options and wanted to hear more opinions about it, so here it is for the onepocket.org denizens.

    The three main options (for the player with pocket B) discussed on AzB are:

    1. Two-rail the 4, leaving the CB near the top left corner. The argument for this is that it might go and leave an easier shot on the 13. The argument against it is that you might leave a bank on the 4 if it stops short and you don't want to put a third ball in play needing only two.

    2. Cut the 13, leaving the CB on the head rail. The argument for this is that it's aggressive without putting a third ball in play. The argument against it is that the scratch might be too much of a risk.

    3. Three-rail the 13 uptable, leaving the CB on the foot rail for a safety. The argument for this is that it takes a ball out of play and it's time to play tight. I haven't heard the argument against it yet, but I wonder if it's too passive.

    Here's the post from AzB:

    daphish1:

    I had this shot earlier, I was at 6 (pocket B). What shot do you shoot? I was playing against a guy who i consider a better shot then me so always thinking defense. I did get out but curious what other people would do. I haven't played much one pocket so still learning and would like to see how others would play this

    <a href="http://cuetable.com/Support/Installing_Adobe_Shockwave.htm"> <IMG SRC= "http://CueTable.com/images/CueTableShockwaveMsg.jpg" WIDTH=750 HEIGHT=450 BORDER=0> </a>
    CueTable Help
    Thanks for your responses,

    pj
    chgo

  • #2
    Originally posted by Patrick Johnson
    Here's a shot that was recently posted over on AzB by "daphish1". I think it's an interesting situation that calls for choosing between at least three viable options and wanted to hear more opinions about it, so here it is for the onepocket.org denizens.

    The three main options (for the player with pocket B) discussed on AzB are:

    1. Two-rail the 4, leaving the CB near the top left corner. The argument for this is that it might go and leave an easier shot on the 13. The argument against it is that you might leave a bank on the 4 if it stops short and you don't want to put a third ball in play needing only two.

    2. Cut the 13, leaving the CB on the head rail. The argument for this is that it's aggressive without putting a third ball in play. The argument against it is that the scratch might be too much of a risk.

    3. Three-rail the 13 uptable, leaving the CB on the foot rail for a safety. The argument for this is that it takes a ball out of play and it's time to play tight. I haven't heard the argument against it yet, but I wonder if it's too passive.

    Here's the post from AzB:



    Thanks for your responses,

    pj
    chgo

    I would 2 rail the 4 at pocket speed and leave the qball on the rail nice and long for my opponent. If it goes I have a chance at pocketing two more balls and if not I put him on some serious defense. I certainly wouldn't want to leave the qball anywhere near the scoring pockets at this point. IMHO.
    XOXO
    Fanny

    Comment


    • #3
      ^^^^^^ my shot selection too. also it moves the 4 from his side taking a good ball for him out of position

      Comment


      • #4
        if you play the score (6-3) optoin #3 is the answer.

        Comment


        • #5
          What Fanny & Larry (lll) said

          Skin
          Skin

          "It's easy!" - Coach Acosta, former Mexican pro, instructing his 10 y/o little leaguers

          Comment


          • #6
            Cut the thirteen, you make it you need one. You miss it, ideally you have a ball near your pocket with whitey downtown and your opponent needs to decide whether to shoot the 9 or move the 13. Neither being a great option, but that's what they're left with behind in the count.

            Where are they talking about scratching? Straight into the corner?

            Comment


            • #7
              i assume thats the scratch. what dont you like about options #1 and #3?

              Comment


              • #8
                Saw the 13 ball in, you might get shape on the 3 ball.
                Rod. >>.------ still a gofer.
                PS; As to the 4 ball, no reason to move another ball into play. although it isn't a bad shot.
                Rod.

                Rodney Stephens.
                (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

                Comment


                • #9
                  fanny i think the seasoned players are going to play the score which is probably the percentage way to win the game. so even tho tempting proably that shot ( 2 railing the 4) selection will be in the minority. we will see.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lll
                    i assume thats the scratch. what dont you like about options #1 and #3?
                    Being ahead in the count, I would not two rail the 4 ball unless the cue ball and the object ball were a little closer and the angle was "on" or straight in.

                    I'm not sure what option #3 was because I quickly dismissed it after having seen that it had to do with moving the 13 back downtown. I would not be trying to move the 13 or the 9 downtown if I had a free shot at one of them. Shooting at the 13 seems like the easiest shot available that has little risk.

                    I can't believe some of the dissenters to this shot are worried about that scratch.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I shoot the 13 all day. You can leave your opponent in a tough spot no matter what. And when it goes in you'll have a shot at something to win the game.

                      I'm with senor on the scratch it doesn't exist unless you miss by a daimond or so.

                      Dudley

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        not trying to hijack the thread but isnt there a guideline to when the scratch is a worry with the spot shot. i use the "feel" method by eyeballing the tangent line but i vaguely remember something about if the q is near the first diamond by the corner there is a potential scratch if you are trying to thin cut the spotted ball to the pocket on the same side. maybe someone can clarify this or does everyone do it by "eye"?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          my account finally got activated, this was my original post on AZ. I'm just a novice one pocket player and never really thought to play more uptable from this position. I'm slowly starting to see some of the more subtle things you need to win in 1 pocket consistently from the few posts people made.

                          When do you play a semi-difficult shot when you don't think your opponent can get out from the shape you left them in? Most people i play in 1 pocket aren't world beaters (well none of them) but i'd like to play the game correctly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lll
                            not trying to hijack the thread but isnt there a guideline to when the scratch is a worry with the spot shot. i use the "feel" method by eyeballing the tangent line but i vaguely remember something about if the q is near the first diamond by the corner there is a potential scratch if you are trying to thin cut the spotted ball to the pocket on the same side. maybe someone can clarify this or does everyone do it by "eye"?
                            Larry lll, there's a diagram from Willie Hoppes' book in the Carom thread, that may help you see or feel it better.
                            Rod.
                            Rod.

                            Rodney Stephens.
                            (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Patrick Johnson
                              Here's a shot that was recently posted over on AzB by "daphish1". I think it's an interesting situation that calls for choosing between at least three viable options and wanted to hear more opinions about it, so here it is for the onepocket.org denizens.

                              The three main options (for the player with pocket B) discussed on AzB are:

                              1. Two-rail the 4, leaving the CB near the top left corner. The argument for this is that it might go and leave an easier shot on the 13. The argument against it is that you might leave a bank on the 4 if it stops short and you don't want to put a third ball in play needing only two.

                              2. Cut the 13, leaving the CB on the head rail. The argument for this is that it's aggressive without putting a third ball in play. The argument against it is that the scratch might be too much of a risk.

                              3. Three-rail the 13 uptable, leaving the CB on the foot rail for a safety. The argument for this is that it takes a ball out of play and it's time to play tight. I haven't heard the argument against it yet, but I wonder if it's too passive.

                              Here's the post from AzB:



                              Thanks for your responses,

                              pj
                              chgo
                              I'd 2 rail the four playing it on the short side. If you miss it it forces your opponet to move it and leave the cue ball on the rail under the 9. you can then maybe knock both the nine and the 13 out of play or one or the other of them. If I'm feeling good I'd just haul off and cut the 13 in.
                              I've seen it go on like this for months.........then get worse!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X