A "What to do?" from AzB

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
if setting a trap is playing defence and "playing defence is playing to lose" .... artie are you now saying we should be shooters? im confused.:confused:
Thier Is A Differece just playing safe and not making a mistake. Ray Dooly Played That WAy. When You Play Safe You ave to do something that will help you and put youre opponent in a position to make a mistake. You Think That is playing safe. But You Are Playing Offense Because You Are Playing Safe But You Are putting your opponent in a position to make a mistake. And Putting your opponent in a position to make a mistake is playing offense. You do not have to shot at youre pocket to play offense. But most players just play safe and dont do anything to thier opponent. THATS WHY IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHAT TO DO. A Deffensive Shot Is Putting You In A position you cant do anything but play safe. A Offensive shot is putting you in a position to make a mistake. And Manovering balls in cetain positions is playing offense not deffense. THis Is Probabbly all new to you because I have never herd anyone else say it. But When you are at the table you can shoot a offensive shot to get youre opponent to make a mistake Like The Shot Billy Was Talkimg About. That Billy And I both choose. And Jay And Dick Didnt like that shot. And If I was Playing Those Are The People To Play Because THe Are not going to put any real pressure on you with thier shots. THe are playing a great safe game. And The Will Win With it . Excepte not against a good player. RAy Dooly was a Perfect Example. He Played a safe game . But He Realy Didnt do anything. And He Played Banks The Same Way. I hope this helps you?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
it does help. i look at it as billy would say "a productive inning" as one where you strengthened your position and end with pressure on the opponent. like you said offense isnt always making a ball, offensive defence. just playing safe is survival shooting and that is a sure way to lose.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
it does help. i look at it as billy would say "a productive inning" as one where you strengthened your position and end with pressure on the opponent. like you said offense isnt always making a ball, offensive defence. just playing safe is survival shooting and that is a sure way to lose.
Very Good I Have Been Pushing This From The Beginning When I Sarted Posting. The Way You Explain It Tahe Is Exacly what I Am Tal;king about. I Am Very Happy That You Under stant. An Its Great Because I Know That I Am not just talking to myself. AND reasuring myself. That Is Correct. And Playing safe and not doing anything is not playing correct one pocket. Like Hopkines and varner waiting for some one to make a mistake. Thier is way more to correct one pocket then playing that style. Or Playing Like Ronnie Bugs And Efren And shooting at every shot no mater what the ods are. BUt I am Very Happy That Some One Can See That You Can Play Offense By shooting certain shots. That Turn Out Better Then Shooting A ball at your whole. You can play offense by were you put the cue ball and the object balls. But Thats Good that you understand it. THats A Great Way To Think To Improve your one pocket game.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I'm pretty sure I'm offensive minded but If I only need two this seems like a pretty good spot to be in. Considering the score it leaves the most balls up table and with the nine there it makes it a tough play for my opponent to take out the 13 (if it doesn't go in)without selling a bank.

just my $.02

Dudley

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4APYW4BXon4CRTT3DJdG1IAMe1MADS4PDvh1RdOv1hADS1haUN4kDvh2kByI6kJKL2kSCk2kbHf4kBEk@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lfigueroa said:
Patrick, it is completely and totally verbotten to lift something posted on one group and post it to another. Steve is death on this :)

Lou Figueroa
has been to
the wood shed
on this one
Always trying to stir things up :)

Now, now, haven't you noticed I even edited "Respect" so that covers both directions :) But isn't it true in the science lab, going from the general to the specific -- that helps you obtain a concentration; while going from the specific to general -- that would be dilution, lol. Lou ---> who got himself some diluted science advice :D :D

And to daphish1, thank you for your patience signing up, and welcome to the One pocket fun house!

lfigueroa

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Always trying to stir things up :)

Now, now, haven't you noticed I even edited "Respect" so that covers both directions :) But isn't it true in the science lab, going from the general to the specific -- that helps you obtain a concentration; while going from the specific to general -- that would be dilution, lol. Lou ---> who got himself some diluted science advice :D :D

And to daphish1, thank you for your patience signing up, and welcome to the One pocket fun house!

If you think I'm breathlessly checking the stickies every few days -- for edits -- you are dreaming :)

Lou Figueroa

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Lou, good poke at the Boothster.;) But actually in this case, it looks as though we've gained an interested member.

Daphish, a very general, but trustworthy, statement in answer to your question is: when a tough shot and tough safety are of roughly equal difficulty, take the shot.

In this particular case there is no benefit to taking the 13-ball shot. If you make the ball, there is no good follow up. The 4-ball is practically a routine 2 rail shot common to 1P; and if you make it, your winning ball is then the 13.

Welcome to onepocket.org!

Doc

The score is 6 to 6 and you have a relatively free shot on the 4 ball,with 3 balls out of play. This is a perfect time to shoot for your hole, it looks like to me an ideal situation.

daphish1

gulfportdoc said:
Lou, good poke at the Boothster.;) But actually in this case, it looks as though we've gained an interested member.

Daphish, a very general, but trustworthy, statement in answer to your question is: when a tough shot and tough safety are of roughly equal difficulty, take the shot.

In this particular case there is no benefit to taking the 13-ball shot. If you make the ball, there is no good follow up. The 4-ball is practically a routine 2 rail shot common to 1P; and if you make it, your winning ball is then the 13.

Welcome to onepocket.org!

Doc

Doc,
thanks for the welcome, hope to learn a bunch here.

In general, as long as i don't think i'm going to sell out i'll take the shot. Since i'm just startin out playing 1 pocket (under 100 games played) i still have alot to learn. What i strugle with is plaing what i think is correct and leaving my oponent what i'd think they'd never shoot at but occasionally they do and the make a great shot (some of the time) and get out.

Lol, i've already taken from artie that you are always thinking offensive, trying to put you opponent in a position to make a mistake. It's a great approach, as long as you can remain in controll of the game you can win..

I'm trying to get to the point of what Bradon Shuff told me, to put a "Devastating shot" on somone, a shot that basically your opponent can't recover from. Still working on that one :) I've had a few games where i've been able to do this, just not frequently enough :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The roasting of Eddie Robin

The roasting of Eddie Robin

I just took a peek at this same thread over on AZ. My old pal, Eddie Robin is firmly entrenched in one of their flame wars re his shot selection. He's been told to "grow up," "go fly a kite" and etc. A very dangerous environment at times. I was going to stick my nose in, but I thought better of it. That's what he gets for not posting here among the elite and cognoscenti. Although he and Artie would probably not get along.

the Beard

Race Track Phil and I used to end our frequent arguments with Artie by lunging at his throat.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
I just took a peek at this same thread over on AZ. My old pal, Eddie Robin is firmly entrenched in one of their flame wars re his shot selection. He's been told to "grow up," "go fly a kite" and etc. A very dangerous environment at times. I was going to stick my nose in, but I thought better of it. That's what he gets for not posting here among the elite and cognoscenti. Although he and Artie would probably not get along.

the Beard

Race Track Phil and I used to end our frequent arguments with Artie by lunging at his throat.

I was wondering why he wasn't posting over here too. I see he is already a member here.... he's only got 4 posts, but he must have logged in over here this month because his last activity was May 16th.

Surely he wouldn't think the waters were more calm on that side of the world, would he?:D

Someone ought to tell him that there is a thread over here about his books.

We got WEI tables too, lots of them to "debate" and "expound" on.:)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:
I was wondering why he wasn't posting over here too. I see he is already a member here.... he's only got 4 posts, but he must have logged in over here this month because his last activity was May 16th.

Surely he wouldn't think the waters were more calm on that side of the world, would he?:D

Someone ought to tell him that there is a thread over here about his books.

We got WEI tables too, lots of them to "debate" and "expound" on.:)

CaliRed, I've read some of the posts over there, as we already have egotistical, arrogant, inflexible posters here (one), one more might be too many. Although the clashes might be memorable.
Rod.<--- has already been rambled to submission.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
I just took a peek at this same thread over on AZ. My old pal, Eddie Robin is firmly entrenched in one of their flame wars re his shot selection. He's been told to "grow up," "go fly a kite" and etc. A very dangerous environment at times. I was going to stick my nose in, but I thought better of it. That's what he gets for not posting here among the elite and cognoscenti. Although he and Artie would probably not get along. Race Track Phil and I used to end our frequent arguments with Artie by lunging at his throat.
Fred, you break me up. Hopefully Eddie will tire of the adolescent schoolyard environment over at AZ, and start posting here with his friends.

Eddie and Artie live in the same town. If they came to a disagreement, I'm sure they could get together at a local establishment and hash it out over a few small Pepsi's.

Doc
visits AZ but doesn't inhale

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Fred, you break me up. Hopefully Eddie will tire of the adolescent schoolyard environment over at AZ, and start posting here with his friends.

Eddie and Artie live in the same town. If they came to a disagreement, I'm sure they could get together at a local establishment and hash it out over a few small Pepsi's.

Doc
visits AZ but doesn't inhale
When People Diagree Nothing Will Change. Everything Stays The Same Because People Who Have Opinions Think Thier Wright. And Will Not Change THe Only People Who Can Learn And Change Are The People who are watching. And THe Can Learn. And If Nothing Else THey Will Know That Thier Is More Than One Way To Shoot A Shot.BUt It Is Almost Impossable To Change A strong Minded Persons Opinion. Even If You Are Correct. BUt By Answering Why Will Help Explain THe Shot. And By clarifieing the shot. BUt People Change Thje Shot To Majke Themselves Look Like The Are Wright. And THe Will Even Put Balls Were The Cant Go If THey Shoot That Shot. You Have To Stick With THe Shot Everyone Is Taking About. And THe Same Shot We All See.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
androd said:
CaliRed, I've read some of the posts over there, as we already have egotistical, arrogant, inflexible posters here (one), one more might be too many. Although the clashes might be memorable.
Rod.<--- has already been rambled to submission.

Maybe another one will have a balancing effect;)

There is a wealth of knowledge from many of the people here, though sometimes it can be a fine art to extract that info:D

The more the merrier, I say!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
lll said:
...isnt there a guideline to when the scratch is a worry with the spot shot?

When the amount of end rail you can see past the spotted ball is smaller than how badly you might miss the shot.

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AALX2PVaV3UALX3UNlk3UbKm3UbJG4UALY2kVaV4kOKk4kbrj2kVaX3qPwy<--_1_diamond&margin_of_error&ZZ4rNlb<--_1_diamond&margin_of_error&ZZ@[/cuetable]

pj
chgo

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Did anyone else notice last night on Lenny's live stream, Scott Frost scratched on one of these cuts to his pocket? I was shocked, because his cue was no where near the rail either. I don't know if he was trying to juice the ball, or what. But anyway, it didn't hurt him because the guy following him missed with ball in hand and sold out, and Frost mopped up. I don't remember the exact count or ball locations, but it was something like this, with Frost needing at least two.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AADX2BSwc2PDNe4UADX3UYGW2kDNe4kBJJ4kadg3qPwy&ZZ4rNlb&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Patrick Johnson said:
When the amount of end rail you can see past the spotted ball is smaller than how badly you might miss the shot.

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AALX2PVaV3UALX3UNlk3UbKm3UbJG4UALY2kVaV4kOKk4kbrj2kVaX3qPwy<--_1_diamond&margin_of_error&ZZ4rNlb<--_1_diamond&margin_of_error&ZZ@[/cuetable]

pj
chgo
thanks pj
10characters

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Boom!!!

Boom!!!

CaliRed said:
Maybe another one will have a balancing effect;)

There is a wealth of knowledge from many of the people here, though sometimes it can be a fine art to extract that info:D

The more the merrier, I say!

Red,

I just looked up in my physics book, (table shim), what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object. They show a picture of a mushroom cloud.

There is a smaller version of it on the All-Zaniness site right now. It's difficult to glean knowledge from petty squabbles and egotistical ramblings.

Dennis

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Red,

I just looked up in my physics book, (table shim), what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object. They show a picture of a mushroom cloud.

There is a smaller version of it on the All-Zaniness site right now. It's difficult to glean knowledge from petty squabbles and egotistical ramblings.

Dennis
Freddy Wrote The Same Thing When Ronnie And Me Were Matching Up In Milwakee.