Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demonrho
    Oldschool:
    You are right but in my defense I was making an edumacated guess after considering what guys like Varner and Cornbread said I would love to hear a little of your take on what the Chicago scene was like. (You don't even have get into the Artie thang right now.)

demon, I’m not getting into any Artie thing, that subject has already been exhausted.

As for the Chicago scene, the Beard has pretty much covered that already, but here’s a couple of things for you that come to mind, that I don’t believe have been posted on the forums before:

The long time grungy down in the basement Bensinger’s that the Beard always talks about wasn’t the last and final incarnation of the famous Bensinger’s Billiard Academy. For the final few years of its existence Bensinger’s moved across the street to a second floor location that was newer and cleaner. But it didn’t last long there at the new upstairs
    location, and it wasn’t the same old Bensinger’s. It didn’t have the same great atmosphere anymore or the action that the old basement location did.

The Beard’s semi-private pool and card room came next, (around the mid-late 70’s) and it was located just 1 block around the corner from the old Bensinger’s. I was there a few times. It was a nice club with excellent equipment and good action. This isn’t exactly pool related, but one thing that the Beard never said about his old club is that what was played there all the time, maybe more than pool even, was partners double-deck pinochle. Although there was a poker game in the backroom, pinochle was the favorite house game. There was probably 2 or 3 pinochle games going on day and night just about every day. It's probably a pick-it whether one pocket or pinochle was the most popular game there. Old School

Comment

Bensingers across the street

Originally posted by OldSchool
      demon, I’m not getting into any Artie thing, that subject has already been exhausted.

As for the Chicago scene, the Beard has pretty much covered that already, but here’s a couple of things for you that come to mind, that I don’t believe have been posted on the forums before:

The long time grungy down in the basement Bensinger’s that the Beard always talks about wasn’t the last and final incarnation of the famous Bensinger’s Billiard Academy. For the final few years of its existence Bensinger’s moved across the street to a second floor location that was newer and cleaner. But it didn’t last long there at the new upstairs
      location, and it wasn’t the same old Bensinger’s. It didn’t have the same great atmosphere anymore or the action that the old basement location did.

The Beard’s semi-private pool and card room came next, (around the mid-late 70’s) and it was located just 1 block around the corner from the old Bensinger’s. I was there a few times. It was a nice club with excellent equipment and good action. This isn’t exactly pool related, but one thing that the Beard never said about his old club is that what was played there all the time, maybe more than pool even, was partners double-deck pinochle. Although there was a poker game in the backroom, pinochle was the favorite house game. There was probably 2 or 3 pinochle games going on day and night just about every day. It's probably a pick-it whether one pocket or pinochle was the most popular game there. Old School
      Even tho I lived close to the new Bensingers, that Old School is talking about, I never played a game in the joint. Bob Seigel was the owner and he was an absolute *****. He destroyed a legendary institution. I have told some great stories that describe just how dumb this guy was, but I cant seem to find them. I'll keep looking.

Beard
      New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
      www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

This isn’t exactly pool related, but one thing that the Beard never said about his old club is that what was played there all the time, maybe more than pool even, was partners double-deck pinochle. Although there was a poker game in the backroom, pinochle was the favorite house game. There was probably 2 or 3 pinochle games going on day and night just about every day. It's probably a pick-it whether one pocket or pinochle was the most popular game there. Old School
        Could this (the back room) be where they were all hiding, when Richie and I stopped by ??..jes' sayin'.

( maybe if we were hustling "pinochle" [sic] we would have got action...)
        Last edited by SJDinPHX; 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM.

Comment

demon,

OldSchool....I guess you were at Freddy's old club, funny thing was, for all the years that the club was open, I'd bet that I was in there about 5 times more than Freddy was......and we did play a lot of pinochle there - mostly partners double deck....did you ever play any pool or cards there?...do you know me from back then?......I used to be in there about 5 days a week, playing more pinochle than pool, lol - my favorite pinochle partner was Mort the houseman, cuz we played about the same speed, and he was a good guy to play with.......Racetrack Phil played real good and was a good partner to have - except for one small thing - if you overbid him on a hand that he wanted, he could sometimes get a bit tushhoggish and pull out his .38 and lay it on the table....then if you went set after taking the bid away from him, you could have a real problem - right Phil?...........We even had a pinochle tournament one year - it was handicapped, there was an A flight and a B flight....if anybody thought they played good pinochle...they could come in there and play Freddy, Phil, or Artie - and bet what they want...

hey OldSchool...I'll go one better than the other guys who asked you to pm them your identity...pm me your identity, and I'll send you one of my One Pocket T-Shirts for free....and I'll keep your identity secret too...

- Ghost
          Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 01-12-2012, 10:14 PM.
          jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Working...
          X