Long Time No See

OldSchool

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
OldSchool disappeared without revealing his true identity. He was gone faster than the Sand Dunce's investigative credibility.

Beard

SJDinPHX said:
However, as head of the "Truth in Pool Dept."

Hello boys. Nope, I never disappeared, I just prefer to lurk. I check in regularly to read some of the threads. Anybody miss me? Maybe a couple of members, but they probably wouldn't admit it, because others wouldn't approve, lol. Matter of fact though, you'all might find it interesting that without mentioning any names, there are two members on here who have sent me pm's at times, sometimes asking me if I know the true story about certain disputes and disagreements that have gone on here on the site.

SJD, I have to take issue with your above quote. I am the #1 voice of truth on the site :) That's what I said when I first posted here. I can't stand bs and I said I will only post what I know is 100% the truth. Some of you don't like to hear it, but that's life. Unlike some, I tell the truth because I don't have any bias toward any part of the country, certain poolhalls, or any players above others. I could clear up some poolplayer histories and truths talked about on here, and I still might.

Most of the untruth that gets posted on here is because of personal bias and even more so, personal agendas.

And let me show you an example of my words coming true as relating to my above statement. A couple of years ago I exposed Billy's az post where he didn't put Artie on his top ten all time one pocket players list, and he didn't think Artie would see it. Then when Artie saw it because of my post and took exception to it, Billy tried to spin it and backtrack like crazy. With that in mind, read the bolded part of my copied post below from 2 years ago. And so what happened 1-1/2 years later? Billy and Artie formed a cozy little one pocket playing corporation for the purpose of relieving John Henderson of a nice portion of his $$$-cash in Galveston. Well how about that, I guess I can see into the future. People gotta keep that 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours thing going on". That will always come before the real truth, here, and in most places in life.

OldSchool said:
You know, a couple of times Artie and one or two of his 'followers' have posted words to the effect of: "You don't see any champions disagreeing with Artie and what he says about himself and his great one pocket 'lessons', do you". Well that's a meaningless statement because as everybody knows, in public, people won't say what they really think or know about other people because they have relationships to keep up, or possible future business dealings to consider, or mutual admiration societies (a lot of that going on both here and over at azbilliards) etc.

I'll post another very enlightening example of 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" re. posters on here, in my next post.

Old School

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
OldSchool said:
Hello boys. Nope, I never disappeared, I just prefer to lurk. I check in regularly to read some of the threads. Anybody miss me? Maybe a couple of members, but they probably wouldn't admit it, because others wouldn't approve, lol. Matter of fact though, you'all might find it interesting that without mentioning any names, there are two members on here who have sent me pm's at times, sometimes asking me if I know the true story about certain disputes and disagreements that have gone on here on the site.

Old School

Old School,

I'm not in the habit of telling men that I miss them but I do, for the most part, enjoy reading your posts. I think you may underestimate our members here though. Sometimes what seems to be idol worship or peer pressure is not. PM's to me have shown more than once that these members know whats what in the world and on this forum.

On a happier note, it's good to see that someone who spent so much time in Chicago around top players can still be literate. Of the five Chi-Town(or ex-Chi-Town) posters on this site only three of them are literate and can compose sentences and paragraphs that mostly make sense. One of them conned me into spending nearly $500 on jazz music so far. One of the others is a ghostly figure, stopping in here and there and then disappearing again. Chicago Mike hasn't been here for awhile that I know of, hope he's alright.

It's nice not to read childishly misspelled, repetitive gibberish on a daily basis, but I fear that I just messed that up.

As far as needing approval from anybody here or anywhere else, just because somebody here does not publicly share their thoughts does not mean they need approval to post them. Some people keep to themselves and some don't, that's all.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
He's Baaaack !!!

He's Baaaack !!!

Cowboy Dennis said:
Old School,

I'm not in the habit of telling men that I miss them but I do, for the most part, enjoy reading your posts. I think you may underestimate our members here though. Sometimes what seems to be idol worship or peer pressure is not. PM's to me have shown more than once that these members know whats what in the world and on this forum.

On a happier note, it's good to see that someone who spent so much time in Chicago around top players can still be literate. Of the five Chi-Town(or ex-Chi-Town) posters on this site only three of them are literate and can compose sentences and paragraphs that mostly make sense. One of them conned me into spending nearly $500 on jazz music so far. One of the others is a ghostly figure, stopping in here and there and then disappearing again. Chicago Mike hasn't been here for awhile that I know of, hope he's alright.

It's nice not to read childishly misspelled, repetitive gibberish on a daily basis, but I fear that I just messed that up.

As far as needing approval from anybody here or anywhere else, just because somebody here does not publicly share their thoughts does not mean they need approval to post them. Some people keep to themselves and some don't, that's all.

Dennis

Dennis,

I trust you remember Old School's last venture on to the forums. We talked about both recieving PM's from him, and wondering what his agenda was with AB and Beard. At the time, I believe I was in some heated exchanges with one, or both of them. (How odd is that ?)

Also, to you Old School,...Upon recieving your PM, our only exchange consisted of me letting you know my displeasure, at your making at least one post, that would lead your "targets" (and others) to believe, that you and I were in some sort of collusion to discredit them. You graciously apologized for making it look that way. My only other expressed concern, was your insistence at remaining anonymous.

Whatever my past, or present, differences may be with AB, or Fred...or anyone else on this forum, I will confront it "on my own" WITHOUT the cover of anonimity...If, as you seem to crave,...you want any validation, or acceptance of your view's... I would strongly urge you to...(1)-do the same, or (2)-give it a rest !!! JMHO

Dick Mc Morran

PS..AKA the Duck,...always seeking to expand the number of people, who are pissed at him...;)

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Not me

Not me

Oldschool, I hope you werent referring to me when you were talking about Artie's "followers." I have unfortunately developed a very thin skin on the forum lately and cant seem to let any inferences go unchallenged. Artie and I were always friends, and still are, but we were always bitter rivals (and still are). I seldom bet on him, even tho he almost always won, and the times I did I would find myself rooting against him. The problem is, I cant even think of who you could be referring to a a "follower." Certainly not Bill Smith either. He is of the same mind set as me.
However, I can be accused of being a follower in certain cases. There were a few players that I was in mortal awe of: Fats, Brooklyn Jimmy, Marcel Camp, Harold Worst, Bugs, Gene Skinner, and of course, Corn Bread Red. Those were more my kinda guys. Artie was kinda too clean-cut for my tastes. Worst is included because he played about 20% better than any human, ever.

Beard

Good to see you back Oldschool.

OldSchool

Verified Member
To whom it may concern lol, thanks for the welcome back.

Dennis, I’m not a Chicago guy. As I said previously, I was mostly a Midwest guy, spent a lot of time in Chicago as well as Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit, etc. also made it down to Florida and over to California a fair amount.

SJD, I have no idea what you’re talking about as far as any post of mine suggesting any collusion between you and I. I never said anything like that, so let me make it clear here now, I’m not connected to you or anybody on here in any way. I speak strictly for and by myself. And also, as you wrongly say in your post, I have no agenda against any person. As I’ve already said many times, the only agenda I have is against BS, regardless
of who the person is.

And III, if you don’t think I should be believed because you don’t know who I am, then don’t believe me. But let me ask you this then. What are Cowboy Dennis, skin, vapros and senor’s full names? And 2/3rds of the major posters on azbilliards have never given their names. So think again III, don’t single me out, I’m just one of hundreds of long time forum posters who don’t choose to give their name.

Anyway, have a good memorial day fellas, and speaking for myself, I will be having a fond memory in my mind tomorrow for guys like Bugs, Spaeth, Ervolino, Cookiemonster, and all of the other guys who aren’t with us anymore.

Old School

Skin

Verified Member
OldSchool said:
And III, if you don’t think I should be believed because you don’t know who I am, then don’t believe me. But let me ask you this then. What are Cowboy Dennis, skin, vapros and senor’s full names?
Old School

Why bring me into it? Hardly anybody knew my real name when I was playing, either, except for my partner. I likewise almost never knew the names of the guys I was playing. I didn't care who they were. So, I don't care who you are [but Lou might see fit to castigate you for your anonymity as he did (or tried to) me for mine ;)].

But...here's to not being served any "anonymous" meat off the grill tomorrow. :)

Pseudonymous Skin

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
But...here's to not being served any "anonymous" meat off the grill tomorrow. :)

Skin
That green shiny stuff they served me in the county jail was called mystery meat. You eat the peanutbutter and jelly and use mystery meat for a pillow. Nothing in there but steel and concrete LOL. :)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
OldSchool said:
To whom it may concern lol, thanks for the welcome back.

And III, if you don’t think I should be believed because you don’t know who I am, then don’t believe me. But let me ask you this then. What are Cowboy Dennis, skin, vapros and senor’s full names? And 2/3rds of the major posters on azbilliards have never given their names. So think again III, don’t single me out, I’m just one of hundreds of long time forum posters who don’t choose to give their name.

Old School

Let me say for the first and hopefully the last time: It does not matter who Old School is, not his name or anything else about him. There are many posters on this forum who's names I don't know. It does not detract from their credibility in the least with me.

I judge a man by his ability to consistently, given the passage of time, remember and relate his points. Old School has done this in my eyes.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
OldSchoo And III said:
dennis i know his name and address.skin senor and vapros it seems to me that other posters know them personally
you come and go with no regularity.
beatle is another one. stayed anonymus but in my opinion was a great voice on the site:) knew his one pocket was around it seemed during the action years but did not want to blow his cover.he contributed enough to let pass his incognito.. jmho(beatle if you want to tell me ( via pm) who you are your secrets safe with me:) )
oldscool you havent contributed enough to warrent mysterious status. again no disrespect .jmho. (why are you hiding??)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I don't have a problem with anyone that is anonymous on the Internet. I imagine 75% of all forum members on the Internet are anonymous to some degree.

Here, we seem to be a pretty tight knit group, that don't seem to care so much with people knowing who they are. You have to remember, there are a lot of kooks out there on the Internet. Years ago, the forums I frequented, we had flame wars all the time. Ugly ones, that if someone knew who you were, they might want to track you down and beat the crap out of you or worse. Or make it easier to hack into your computer, or get real life info and destroy you that way.

It's important to remember that anything you post, is probably preserved for decades on the internet. This can be very useful in tracking down people that are anonymous. They may use their real email address or names in certain places on the Internet. When you can tie the two together, you got something.

As far as OldSchool goes.... he/she probably finds it easier to be brutally honest by remaining anonymous. Think about it. If you could share your true feelings about people at your job, you can't do it with people that work with you, a person you trust, could tell someone they trust and next thing you know, you calling the boss a assh*le has now got back to the boss. You can't go on Facebook or forums and say that stuff either. Someone could read it and next thing you know, someone's emailed a link to you saying that and sent it to your boss. That could result in a uncomfortable workplace:D

Same thing goes with your friends. I can't be brutally honest about how I feel about my friends to their face or make a hurtful comment about a friend of my friend. People, for the most part, cannot handle brutal honesty. They are hurt by it or harbor resentment. You usually have to construct your comment to make it less hurtful, beat around the bush some, water it down.

I, am a person that tells it the way I feel, and I get screwed over alot because of that. I"m learning to be more mellow and sensitive. (insert violins)

Dennis has my respect, because he tells it the way it is. Even if your his friend or you know him well, he will still tell it the way he feels, I believe. I havent' ever got to meet him, but have spoken to him, read all his posts for the last couple of years and have had some personal dealings with him, that have told me a lot about what kind of person he is. And he's a stand up guy, that would probably make anyone a good friend.

You just have to be the type that understands that. If I posted something and was way out of line in Dennis's eyes, I believe he would follow up and tell me exactly that. If he felt I was being a jerk, I don't think he would say things like..."You might have been a little harsh" or "You could have phrased it better".... I think he might say... "You were just being a jerk about it" And I shouldn't be all bent out of shape because of it, I should just understand that's his opinion and I'm not going to lose his friendship over it.. just because he called me a jerk:D

Now, I'm just trying to get a point across... I"m sure he would find a way to tell the truth, but not come on too harsh, but also not sugar coat it. :D

When your anonymous, you can tell it the way it it without any repercussions. That could be a bad thing or a good thing. There are many ways that someone could abuse that and do it for the wrong reasons. If someone was to do it, just to maybe open some people's eyes, then that might be a valid reason.

Jury's still out for OldSchool, at least for me. He doesn't appear, so far, to be just a vindictive dude trying to seek revenge on people he doesn't like. To me, he seems like he's trying to open up some people's eyes or at least make them think a little more by offering what he believes to be true statements, that may not be popular.

He also isn't coming on here every month or so to just stir up crap and then leave. Then again, I don't know alot of the back stories here, so who knows whether I'm way off base.:D

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
fred bentivegna said:
Oldschool, I hope you werent referring to me when you were talking about Artie's "followers."...

Oldschool, you probably considered me one of Artie's followers because when Artie first joined I tried to get peoples (like you and Lou;) ) to overlook Artie's braggadocio and realize he really was triple smart when it came to one pocket. ('Cause that's what guys like Nick Varner said.)

But I welcome you back 'cause I like to hear all the different takes on what went down in the good old days of pool. (Just like the Greeks loved to hear Homer recount the glorious battles of old during the Trojan War.)

P.S. I don't mind if peoples want to stay anonymous - though as a good old boy born and raised in downstate Illinois I would keep it confidential if you were to PM me your real identity:cool:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Skin said:
Something Skin wrote.. insert here

I remember reading Skin's short post and thought to myself....I should reply and say something along the lines of "You got that right, brother"!

But when I went to quote, it was GONE!

So.... You got that right, brother! ... to whatever it was you wrote:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't expect a guy to give his home address and private phone number on the forum.:rolleyes: But when reading a post --especially from one who is new, or who posts infrequently-- I often wonder what part of the country or what city the guy lives in. It helps me to understand a little about the points he's making. Perhaps I'm more curious than the average. Oftentimes I've PM'd guys to chat with them about where they play, who they know, etc.

If a guy is utilizing a fake username, how could anyone possibly sleuth him down??:rolleyes: I think most guys want to stay under the radar either out of irrational fear, or to prop up their exaggerated feelings of self importance.;)

Granted, we may have some outlaws on the forums, or perhaps some who fear for physical reprisals; but in the main, the average anonymous poster is probably simply chickensh*t. It's pretty uncommon on these forums for a guy to stay anonymous simply so he can blast away at other posters.

My name is listed in my profile. Years ago I started using "GulfportDoc" in the grand tradition of poolplayer lingo. The way my game is today, I may have to change it to "DryDock".

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
demonrho said:
P.S. born and raised in downstate Illinois I would keep it confidential if you were to PM me your real identity:cool:

If he does send it to me and I'll tell whoever I tell not to tell anyone. ;)
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
I remember reading Skin's short post and thought to myself....I should reply and say something along the lines of "You got that right, brother"!

But when I went to quote, it was GONE!

So.... You got that right, brother! ... to whatever it was you wrote:)

Well Red...I had second thoughts about posting on the topic this morning and deleted. I tend to get a weeeeeeeee bit opinionated and pedantic, to no one's benefit really. Better for me to stay one topic with 1p and try to learn something.

However, I do agree with you about the need for using caution on the internet.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
Well Red...I had second thoughts about posting on the topic this morning and deleted. I tend to get a weeeeeeeee bit opinionated and pedantic, to no one's benefit really. Better for me to stay one topic with 1p and try to learn something.

Skin

Well at least you don't spend three days editing your posts like the Duck.

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Well at least you don't spend three days editing your posts like the Duck.

Hey, I converted one of Dick's post into Swahili using Google translator last night and every time I posted, he was in the process of RE-editing. I posted and deleted 4 different versions before he was finally finished. :eek:

Skin

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Skin said:

Skin

You think you get a weeeeeeeeee bit opinionated? Do you not see my whole page diatribes? I am jealous of the people that can pop in with a 1 or 2 sentence post. I wish I could. When I have to scroll down to read others posts, and I see mine, I become ashamed and dejected. I often walk aimlessly around the apt with my head hung low averting the stares of my own family.

On a brighter note.... I have decided that if I remove the 3 fingers and leave the index and thumb on my left hand, I would not be able to type with 2 hands, but would still be able to bridge my cue. This should cut down on the amount of text that makes it's way into a post.