The Truth About The Beard & Chicago Players

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
:confused: "how idiotic it is for someone to stubbornly defend an opinion that is only based on hearsay, and not on what they saw with their own eyes."

I certainly hope this was directed towards my statement. Because your opinion is flawed, as well. So I offer yet another "opinion" to help you out.

My Opinion - Eye-witness account is flawed, proven so in the legal system time and time again. And the percentage of time it is flawed is substantial - Therefore your proclaimed, Perfect eyewitness account leaves something to be desired. So we are left to gather EVIDENCE.... The only remaining evidence being the two players who played, Fred and Tony. Both of which claim Tony lost.

Opinion #2. I began playing pool at a YOUNG age, and gambling around 13 years old. I LIVED UPSTAIRS FROM A POOL ROOM(not a bar) for a portion of my teen years. I learned how to read people at a young age. Too young perhaps. And my goal in the pool room has never changed - it's about the love and the money.(in varied order...lol) Love and money motivate. Bringing about desire, persistence, LEARNING... When I say Fargo was way upset about what happened, it is coming from a guy who can see a lot in a person in a little time. And guess what? Tony didn't like the game WHERE and HOW it was with WHO it was with. And, it just so happens, that in 25 years, Fargo never went back to get his, I mean, FREDDIES cash that USED to be Tony's...lol I NEVER EVER said Freddy was better...I was saying Freddy shook him so badly he was furious years later....But even with the motivation of fury, didn't bother to return. Tony has been down three times, each of which I provided him with my racking service and occasonally won a game when left too many shots. :D :cool:

I mean no DIS, and No hard feelins, I am just saying that the 2 players stories agree. Which is enough to allow me the liberty of retelling it, and retelling what I saw....and experienced.

I can't understand why you have a problem with me telling what I saw, with MY eyes, but you are so happy to share what you saw with yours. And the part about them playing, once again, BOTH PLAYERS agree on the outcome, and guess what? I said it was 4 games, and VIOLA! a few posts ago that truth came up as well. IF I recall, it was by YOUR admission....So maybe plug it concerning my inadequacies, as what I told....DEFINATELY checks out.:)

Now, back to peace. Oldschool, I want to hear some old battle stories, Put em up!

OldSchool said:
You know what Beard, we both agree strongly about one thing --- how idiotic it is for someone to stubbornly defend an opinion that is only based on hearsay, and not on what they saw with their own eyes. That said, I didn’t address your Bensinger’s game with Fargo because I wasn’t there, didn't see it --- I don‘t post what I don‘t know. But since you want me to comment, I will. I would guess that it happened as you said it did. I did after all, say that you banked at near top speed. So your subject to beat Fargo one time on your own home court.

OldSchool

Verified Member
demonrho said:
OldSchool:

As long as I'm still on your good side, can you answer me this? How would you rate Mexican Johnny? Is he a valid candidate for the One Pocket Hall of Fame - at least in the After Hours Division? Artie B. rated him up there but the Beard would never really answer my inquiries. SJD seemed to have dismissed him but they played in the '90's, I believe, when Johnny was in really bad shape from age, illness, and other things. And everyone else is mum.

I ask you, because you being anonymous, nobody will jump on you if you let the cat out of the bag. I am truly curious and want whatever you consider the brutal truth. It won't effect my esteem for Johnny because I watched him live out his last days on the green felt and saw what he was really made of.

And I do welcome you back - I do appreciate your take on things. I love hearing all points of view and onepocket.org should be the place for that. But don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I don't realize what all the Beard's done for pool and how great a player he was. In fact, I have picked up some truly deep insights about the game from a couple of the Beard's hints.

Also, because I appreciate all facets of the game, I don't mind guys who brag and exaggerate a bit like Fatty or even Shakespeare's Falstaff did. It's all good. Everyone sees things differently, anyway, like Dennis pointed out.

Demon, Mexican Johnny was a tremendous player at all games, and let me also add this --- he was a very intimidating presence at the table --- serious, and solid and strong as a mack truck. The Beard could tell you much more about him than I can however. I never saw him play that many times.
Old School

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
OldSchool said:
Demon, Mexican Johnny was a tremendous player at all games, and let me also add this --- he was a very intimidating presence at the table --- serious, and solid and strong as a mack truck. The Beard could tell you much more about him than I can however. I never saw him play that many times.
Old School

Thanks, OldSchool, for getting back to me on Johnny. Look forward to hearing more of your insights on the good old days of pool. By the way, as you probably know, Johnny wasn't always a "Chicago" player. He told me he was raised (and I think born) in Fort Worth, Texas. He didn't have a drivers license - so I used to use mine to get him motel rooms. I was new to L.A. (and didn't know any better;-) so when I met first him, I used to drive him around to hustle pool in scary parts of town in bars full of Honduran heroin dealers. Would love to hear from anyone who saw Johnny play in other parts of the country, like Texas.

Last edited:

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Terry is my friend, one of my best online friends, he loves pool. And if you can't say something good about someone don't say anything at all!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Fatboy said:
Terry is my friend, one of my best online friends, he loves pool. And if you can't say something good about someone don't say anything at all!

Eric.....Don't worry about Terry..he's in good hands over here, we'll protect him from the bad guys....:D

- Ghost

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
What duh???

What duh???

lll said:
Terry we got your back

Fatboy, thanks my friend, but I don't need no back up. There's no beef between me & Old School. Even if there was, I'm a big boy!

One Pocket Ghost, thanks my friend for the "protection" :eek: I always liked the tush-hog mentality! Anyways, being in good stead here is better than being in good hands with Allstate! I'm fine.

Larry, thanks my friend. As I will have yours! (My back's been really sore lately, but I'm up & about, thank the Lord)

Now fellas, I like all you guys a bunch. I hope you already knew that. But just because I'm a "helpless, disabled shut-in" :)D ) don't mean I'm something special or in need of "protection". :confused:

Heck, just because somebody thinks I'm too nice to some of the older players is nothing that I'm ashamed of. And truth be told, O.S. never came close to hurting my feelings. Plus, that was not his intention anyway.

But you guys already know that and are just stirring the pot! ;)

Now, since this thread is totally derailed, let me close by saying that if Old School and I were stranded in an elevator for a day, when the doors did finally open, we'd come out as pals. BUT, if SJD & The Beard were stranded in an elevator for a day, well, let's just say that would be the makings of another episode of this.....http://www.spike.com/spiketv/full-episodes?showId=31082

:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I wanna be the Mongol

I wanna be the Mongol

Terry Ardeno said:
Fatboy, thanks my friend, but I don't need no back up. There's no beef between me & Old School. Even if there was, I'm a big boy!

One Pocket Ghost, thanks my friend for the "protection" :eek: I always liked the tush-hog mentality! Anyways, being in good stead here is better than being in good hands with Allstate! I'm fine.

Larry, thanks my friend. As I will have yours! (My back's been really sore lately, but I'm up & about, thank the Lord)

Now fellas, I like all you guys a bunch. I hope you already knew that. But just because I'm a "helpless, disabled shut-in" :)D ) don't mean I'm something special or in need of "protection". :confused:

Heck, just because somebody thinks I'm too nice to some of the older players is nothing that I'm ashamed of. And truth be told, O.S. never came close to hurting my feelings. Plus, that was not his intention anyway.

But you guys already know that and are just stirring the pot! ;)

Now, since this thread is totally derailed, let me close by saying that if Old School and I were stranded in an elevator for a day, when the doors did finally open, we'd come out as pals. BUT, if SJD & The Beard were stranded in an elevator for a day, well, let's just say that would be the makings of another episode of this.....http://www.spike.com/spiketv/full-episodes?showId=31082

:D

Bet on the Mongol's. When a pair of Mongol's would embark on a long journey over desolate territory, they would bring a prisoner along -- to gradually eat on the way there. They would keep him alive as best they could in order to have "fresh meat."

Beard

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Like "Chunky Chicken" soup?

Like "Chunky Chicken" soup?

fred bentivegna said:
Bet on the Mongol's. When a pair of Mongol's would embark on a long journey over desolate territory, they would bring a prisoner along -- to gradually eat on the way there. They would keep him alive as best they could in order to have "fresh meat."

Beard

Only you could provide us with the rich history of Mongols and their prefered bon' appetiete'!

OK, put me down for a sweat bet of $50.00 on the Mongols, provided they're not matched up against the Navy SEALs.

Last edited: