Making ball in pocket accidentally while shooting

DOMINATOR

What happens when you are shooting at a ball but you accidentally hit a different ball with your stick and it falls into side pocket after follow through from shot. Is it just spotted back where it was? Is it a foul? Or put on the spot?

unoperro

Verified Member
In most cases any ball off the table other then legally pocketed is a foul.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In BCAPL it is not a foul and the ball would be restored, even if it is the game winning ball such as in 8-ball. But in any game if the game winning ball is pocketed in combination with a foul then it loss of a game. Such as disturbing two balls illegally and the game winning 8-ball drops in accidentally. I do not have a clue about WPA. Whitey

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
What happens when you are shooting at a ball but you accidentally hit a different ball with your stick and it falls into side pocket after follow through from shot. Is it just spotted back where it was? Is it a foul? Or put on the spot?

Usually you will be playing by "one object ball foul OK" rules which most people refer to as "cue ball fouls only". Since you only disturbed one ball -- and presumably no other ball during the shot passed over the spot it had been sitting -- it is not considered a foul. Normally the seated player has the option of putting it back or leaving it where it is. I think that is reasonable here as well, which means the ball could be left where it is but because it was pocketed in an extraneous pocket, spotted on the foot spot at the end of the inning at the choice of the seated player.

Here is a relevant rule from the CSI/BCAPL rules:
If a single disturbed ball falls into a pocket with no effect on the outcome of a shot, your opponent has the restoration option. However, if the disturbed ball is designated by specific game rules as the game winning ball, it must be restored. If the game-winning ball is disturbed and falls into a pocket when there is an effect on the outcome of the shot, it is loss of game.

I think this rule is broken. I doubt that anyone would accept a loss at nine ball for such an accident and if my opponent needs one at one pocket, that ball by the side is possibly his game-winning ball.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
In BCAPL it is not a foul and the ball would be restored, even if it is the game winning ball such as in 8-ball. But in any game if the game winning ball is pocketed in combination with a foul then it loss of a game. Such as disturbing two balls illegally and the game winning 8-ball drops in accidentally. I do not have a clue about WPA. Whitey

Whitey, this sounds like you cannot make the opponent's winning ball and follow it into the pocket. Please clarify.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Usually you will be playing by "one object ball foul OK" rules which most people refer to as "cue ball fouls only". Since you only disturbed one ball -- and presumably no other ball during the shot passed over the spot it had been sitting -- it is not considered a foul. Normally the seated player has the option of putting it back or leaving it where it is. I think that is reasonable here as well, which means the ball could be left where it is but because it was pocketed in an extraneous pocket, spotted on the foot spot at the end of the inning at the choice of the seated player.

Here is a relevant rule from the CSI/BCAPL rules:
If a single disturbed ball falls into a pocket with no effect on the outcome of a shot, your opponent has the restoration option. However, if the disturbed ball is designated by specific game rules as the game winning ball, it must be restored. If the game-winning ball is disturbed and falls into a pocket when there is an effect on the outcome of the shot, it is loss of game.

I think this rule is broken. I doubt that anyone would accept a loss at nine ball for such an accident and if my opponent needs one at one pocket, that ball by the side is possibly his game-winning ball.

This rule came out in 2012 and very few players let alone ref's even knew of it, at least at the time. It applies to all games. So the bcapl rule committee, which I fought on this rule, developed a new way to loose a game of nine ball, and other games. Unbelievable!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, this sounds like you cannot make the opponent's winning ball and follow it into the pocket. Please clarify.

Vapros, decipher the rule that Jewett posted, that explains it a little more than how I explained it. An Example; on a shot I jerk english my cue over side ways and move a ball which contacted another ball ( a disturbed ball foul), the nine balls comes around and hits one of the balls I moved and got pocketed, that is a loss of game under bcapl. The rule is listed under Disturbed Ball (cue ball foul only).

I think you are saying how does it apply to OP if you pocket the opponent winning ball and follow it in. The rule does not apply to this, it applies to disturbed balls and disturbed ball rules.

There is no game winning ball in OP or 14.1 until all other balls are off the table, and when this happens you can not have a disturbed ball foul on 1 ball under cue ball foul only rule, but you can have a single ball in motion interfered with.

Well it is all crazy just like the rule, and not worth discussing, but some poor soul just could lose a game someday and wonder what the heck happened! Whitey