Providence/Boston area $1000 added One Pocket Tournament - Saturday November 6th

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
One Pocket Ghost said:
Carey, you wuss - you're 30 years old and weigh 140 lbs. soaking wet, and you're "dead tired" at 8:00! :rolleyes:...when I was your age I would play all night and into the next morning!....:cool:

- Ghost :D

Yeah, yeah, I should have figured I'd get needled from the senior citizen section here. ;)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
twister said:
Yeah, yeah, I should have figured I'd get needled from the senior citizen section here. ;)

I may have silenced him for you Twister...At least I may keep him up all night, trying to come up with a respectable rebuttal...:D :D

Prod, poke, gouge...:)...........EDIT:-as you can see by the following post...He admits it will take all night, and well into the morning...:p
View attachment 1594

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
I may have silenced him for you Twister...At least I may keep him up all night, trying to come up with a respectable rebuttal...:D :p :D

Prod, poke, gouge...:)

View attachment 1594

Papie.....You could at least thank me for supplying you with all of these pics of mine that you copied/stole from me and are always using - like this one of you with the cane, and the drunk duck chin-down on the bar...:rolleyes:

And as far as a rebuttal...just open up the Aiming thread tomorrow after 11:00 a.m...I'll be posting up some good advice for my man Freddy on that thread around 11:00 - hehe.

- Ghosty

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I lasted to the end (so to speak). I lost in the finals -- whcih we shortened to a single game because the room was already due to close at 2AM. I lost the toss and was in trouble from the opening break. After a while, i was able to knock something over to my side and leave the cue ball real near my opponent's pocket, which go me back in the game. I actually took a lead, but I believe I scratched while double kissing a ball away from my opponent's pocket and he ran nearly out from there. We knocked around two balls on the table for a while with me needing both and him needing one. Eventually I made a bank and it all came down to one ball for the difference between 1st and 2nd (something like 750 for first and 500 for second). We knocked that one ball around for a good twenty minutes and I was fairly pleased with my end game, but could not knock it down. Eventually he left the ball on the spot, with the cue ball on the far endr rail about a diamond from my own side -- which can surely be cut home, but if you hit it too thick, you scratch, and that's what I did at at that time of the morning. He made the spot shot (I was hoping he would play safe ;)

Thanks for a great job with the tournament by Snookers, the players (very little complaint about the handicaps), and Ray MacNamara, who ran the tourney. The room, Snookers, is a real good success story in a what is otherwise a blight of a pool scene in New England -- hats off to Steve & Regina Golding for a tremendous room!

I have a lo9t of photos, but I have another event (non pool) today, so I won't get to them until maybe tonight.

I failed to get the final result, but I know 6 places paid, and the top four were:
Joey Depree (sp??)
Steve Booth
Shayne Cote (also from NH)
Joe Tucker

I have photos of the other two but am blanking on their names...

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:
I lasted to the end (so to speak). I lost in the finals -- whcih we shortened to a single game because the room was already due to close at 2AM. I lost the toss and was in trouble from the opening break. After a while, i was able to knock something over to my side and leave the cue ball real near my opponent's pocket, which go me back in the game. I actually took a lead, but I believe I scratched while double kissing a ball away from my opponent's pocket and he ran nearly out from there. We knocked around two balls on the table for a while with me needing both and him needing one. Eventually I made a bank and it all came down to one ball for the difference between 1st and 2nd (something like 750 for first and 500 for second). We knocked that one ball around for a good twenty minutes and I was fairly pleased with my end game, but could not knock it down. Eventually he left the ball on the spot, with the cue ball on the far endr rail about a diamond from my own side -- which can surely be cut home, but if you hit it too thick, you scratch, and that's what I did at at that time of the morning. He made the spot shot (I was hoping he would play safe ;)

Thanks for a great job with the tournament by Snookers, the players (very little complaint about the handicaps), and Ray MacNamara, who ran the tourney. The room, Snookers, is a real good success story in a what is otherwise a blight of a pool scene in New England -- hats off to Steve & Regina Golding for a tremendous room!

I have a lo9t of photos, but I have another event (non pool) today, so I won't get to them until maybe tonight.

I failed to get the final result, but I know 6 places paid, and the top four were:
Joey Depree (sp??)
Steve Booth
Shayne Cote (also from NH)
Joe Tucker

I have photos of the other two but am blanking on their names...

Steve.....Congrat's on your 2nd place finish..and also, on hanging in there until 2:00 a.m. - after all, I heard there's guys 20 yrs. younger than you who staggered out "dead tired" six hours before that...;) :D

Let's have a little more info from you or Carey...

What was the highest handicap/who were the best players there? --- What was yours and Carey's handicap number? --- Did you have trouble correctly handicapping unknown/semi-known players?

- Ghost

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
There was one player who was a AA. Steve and I were both 'B' handicaps, and John Smith was a 'A'. I think we had 1 or 2 complaints about the handicaps, which is amazing considering how much pool players usually like to complain, especially about handicaps. ;) Actually, Ray Mac is the main reason the handicaps were as good as they were. He did a great job using the info he had to handicap everyone, and made it clear to the players that these were best fit handicaps and that this was our first tournament. There were a couple of unknown players, but I think that in the end, Ray even somehow got those handicaps more or less right. We did not get any 'ringers' who showed up and tried to sand-bag their ability and steal the tournament. Personally, I would prefer no handicaps, but I don't think we would have gotten a full field without them.

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
SactownTom said:
Great tournament gentlemen. More to come now that you know how easy they are :rolleyes:

We surely appreciate your advice Tom. Without it, we might have gone for a race to 3, which means we would probably still be playing now. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
twister said:
There was one player who was a AA. Steve and I were both 'B' handicaps, and John Smith was a 'A'. I think we had 1 or 2 complaints about the handicaps, which is amazing considering how much pool players usually like to complain, especially about handicaps. ;) Actually, Ray Mac is the main reason the handicaps were as good as they were. He did a great job using the info he had to handicap everyone, and made it clear to the players that these were best fit handicaps and that this was our first tournament. There were a couple of unknown players, but I think that in the end, Ray even somehow got those handicaps more or less right. We did not get any 'ringers' who showed up and tried to sand-bag their ability and steal the tournament. Personally, I would prefer no handicaps, but I don't think we would have gotten a full field without them.
Good job, Twister, and congrats to Steve. It sounds like y'all came to the same conclusions as did I-- here in Gulfport. The only difference was that, since we had two days, we were able to race to 3 with no problems in that regard.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I loaded up some photos from Providence here:

http://onepocket.smugmug.com/2010-Tournaments/2010-Snookers-One-Pocket/14555126_9qGAL

Joey D, who won the tourney:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
More pics from Providence

More pics from Providence

Sal, who used to own Action Billiards in Hamden, CT (something like that)

Another CT player who did well in the tourney

Shayne 'Kizzy' Cote, who finished third

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
And more...

And more...

Joe Tucker, who finished 4th (I believe)

Lady pro Liz, who finished just out of the money

Ever wonder why they call him 'twister'?

Don't remember his name, but it might be my favorite photo from the tournament...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:
Who was the AA player?. What spot did AA give A, and A give B?

- Ghost
9-7 between A and B

They had Billy Lanna rated AA, although that was originally conceived as a handicap for pro players, in case one or two showed up. Billy happened to be the strongest player there, so he was assigned AA and did his best to carry the pro-level spots. He was a trooper for taking that on. I think next time (there will be a next time, right ?) we would need to put Billy in between the real pros and the A players, to be fair.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Any handicapping system is likely to have wide interpretation from the players, especially when guys think that they're handicapped at a higher level than they'd like.

The A-B-C system is no different. It was used for simplicity's sake. Here locally we added an AA level simply to prevent a genuine touring pro from coming in to steal first place. Most of the players were B's and C's, with a few A's. We've only had a couple of AA's (Nick Vita, Cliff Joyner), and they didn't do very well.

The A category was intended for top area players. By "area" we meant a large region, or several states. So an A player is one who is in the top echelon of players over a wide geographical area, not just one room, or one city. Jerry Brock and Gary Abood were both A's. Mike Surber was an A in our first event.

The better players in any given locale's room might be B's, whereas the average players would be C's.

Doc