The Real Price off a Free Scratch

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It's worth nowhere near a ball. much less.
Rod.
P.S. As SJD said previously in this thread "it's infinitesimal"

I said it was ONLY worth one ball, but what I should have said is "a maximum of one ball" (at least if we're talking about a free push rather than a free scratch.)

I still think it's worth more than infinitesimal, but something less than a full ball. It's worth a full ball when the opportunity to use it ideally comes up, the player recognizes it, and executes.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I said it was ONLY worth one ball, but what I should have said is "a maximum of one ball" (at least if we're talking about a free push rather than a free scratch.)

I still think it's worth more than infinitesimal, but something less than a full ball. It's worth a full ball when the opportunity to use it ideally comes up, the player recognizes it, and executes.

All the free pushes and scratches in one game are only worth about 9/7, maybe a little more or less. How can one a game be worth much?
Rod.
P.S. I've played at least 100 games giving up scratches don't count. The ideal situation you speak of is a not a reality.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
All the free pushes and scratches in one game are only worth about 9/7, maybe a little more or less. How can one a game be worth much?
Rod.
P.S. I've played at least 100 games giving up scratches don't count. The ideal situation you speak of is a not a reality.

I'll take your word for all of it except the ideal situation part. It comes up in as many games as it is advisable to take an intentional foul and the player recognizes it. It's one ball saved.

I wonder if you're thinking that saving that one ball rarely makes the difference in who wins the game. On that I would certainly agree.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Rod.

The more I think about it, I didn't need to specify "ideally" or "executes." When the player takes his push, he has saved a full ball. That ball may not be worth much, but he saved it.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Rod.

That's just like you Rod, always throwing water on the fire (or is it gas?):):D:p.

As usual, you are on target. Glad I revived this thread.:eek:

RBL

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
That's just like you Rod, always throwing water on the fire (or is it gas?):):D:p.

As usual, you are on target. Glad I revived this thread.:eek:

RBL

I think the disagreements are more about what one ball is worth -- especially to the weaker player -- than about what one free push is worth, because we know the push is worth one ball, right?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think the disagreements are more about what one ball is worth -- especially to the weaker player -- than about what one free push is worth, because we know the push is worth one ball, right?

If he had 8 pushes, he'd be a winner. Right. :)
Rod.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If he had 8 pushes, he'd be a winner. Right. :)
Rod.

Heh. Seems more likely he'd be even instead of 8 in the hole. ;)

There's no question that gaining a ball usually has a different value toward winning the game than not losing a ball -- sometimes more, sometimes less -- but a ball is a ball, whatever it contributes toward the eventual outcome.

Artie was really talking about what you're talking about... the effect on the eventual outcome which is the REAL vaue... and that's what all of us should care most about.

Just to be sure I can get you to agree with me I'll admit that I'm talking about something stupider... that a ball is a ball. :D