The Real Price off a Free Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost
    Believe what? - your response is incorrect and doesn't apply, because...I didn't make a statement here, I asked a question.

- Ghost
    Ghosty,

You asked a question about a specific situation in a game in progress. As Artie pointed out the line changes every shot & and every situation during a game.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis
      Ghosty,

You asked a question about a specific situation in a game in progress. As Artie pointed out the line changes every shot & and every situation during a game.

Dennis

Is your name Rod?..... <------note smiley face

- Ghost
      jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

I didn't make a statement here,

- Ghost
        All of this said by Sherm and Billy is so obviously true, that it's ridiculous to think any differently..
        Although I agree with Billy I don't feel ridiculous.
        Rod.
        Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
        (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Dennis
          Ghosty,

Although Bill is correct, you and cuesmith are not. AB said "here is the value before the balls are broken" or words to that effect. You and cuesmith both put forth scenarios that occur after the balls are broken. You can always make up a situation where the spot will hurt or help the weaker player.

Dennis

What do you mean. A free scratch is like a "get out of jail free card". That can mean a heck of a lot if used when you're in a jam.
          Just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm Custom Cues
          Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Is your name Rod?..... <------note smiley face

- Ghost
            Ghosty, Ghosty, Ghosty,

Smiley face noted. The line, before the game starts, in my opinion, is based on what would happen in a long session, over time. It's also based on talent level differences and knowledge differences. Either of us could make up a scenario where the weight hurts or helps one player or the other. It's over the course of a long session that the weight is important, not a single imagined scenario by either of us. You must make the line before the game starts. The odds may change during specific games in certain situations but, overall, the line is correct in the long run. That's the topic here (I think) <<>> .

Dennis

Comment

Am I confused, or am I right?

I believe what Artie is saying is what is the value of a free scratch in terms of MAKING A GAME. How many ball/ balls is the free scratch worth in making the game.

EXAMPLE; Gabe Owen against Dippie

This is how Artie thinks they should play with and with out the free scratch.

Gabe giving Dippie 18 to 4 and a free scratch.

OR

Gabe givig Dippie 22 1/2 to 4 NO FREE SCRATCH

What Artie is saying is that the free scratch in THIS MATCH UP is worth 4 1/2 balls.

WHAT I'M SAYING IS, NO WAY IS IT WORTH 4 1/2 BALLS.
              YOU CANNOT FIGURE MATHEMATICALLY WHAT THE FREE SCRATCH IS WORTH THE WAY IT'S DESIGNED FOR THIS MATCH.

TRUST ME, I'M A DOCTOR

Comment

Originally posted by cuesmith
                What do you mean. A free scratch is like a "get out of jail free card". That can mean a heck of a lot if used when you're in a jam.
                cuesmith,

This is correct for one shot in one situation but we are talking about setting a line BEFORE the game begins. You cannot forsee any circumstances before the game begins that will affect the weight given. You must go on talent, knowledge, heart, endurance and whatever else must be considered. If you were a bookie setting a line you would set the line and then not sweat out the shot by shot or game by game results. You would wait till the match was over and then see what happened. One shot or game does not determine whether or not the weight is appropriate, the weaker player will always win some games that he shouldn't and the better player will always win some games that he shouldn't and vice-versa.

Dennis

Comment

~ ~ ~

PS, That's me in the pic, on the far right, and that's Cole Dixon on the far left...
                  Attached Files
                  jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona
                    I believe what Artie is saying is what is the value of a free scratch in terms of MAKING A GAME. How many ball/ balls is the free scratch worth in making the game.

EXAMPLE; Gabe Owen against Dippie

This is how Artie thinks they should play with and with out the free scratch.

Gabe giving Dippie 18 to 4 and a free scratch.

OR

Gabe givig Dippie 22 1/2 to 4 NO FREE SCRATCH

What Artie is saying is that the free scratch in THIS MATCH UP is worth 4 1/2 balls.

YOU CANNOT FIGURE MATHEMATICALLY WHAT THE FREE SCRATCH IS WORTH THE WAY IT'S DESIGNED FOR THIS MATCH.

TRUST ME, I'M A DOCTOR
                    WHO CARES WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE BALLS ARE BROKEN? THE GAME IS MADE BEFORE THE BALLS ARE BROKEN. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HOW TO HANDICAPP A GAME WITH A FREE SCRATCH IN TERMS OF PLACING A VALUE ON HOW MUCH THE FREE SCRATCH IS WORTH IN THE SPOT.

Billy I.

Comment

TRUST ME, I'M A DOCTOR
                      Bill,

Obviously, all intelligent persons on this site agree with you, so far anyway .

Dennis

Comment

WHO CARES WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE BALLS ARE BROKEN? THE GAME IS MADE BEFORE THE BALLS ARE BROKEN. WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HOW TO HANDICAPP A GAME WITH A FREE SCRATCH IN TERMS OF PLACING A VALUE ON HOW MUCH THE FREE SCRATCH IS WORTH IN THE SPOT.

Billy I.
                        Uh, Bill, you're quoting your own posts again and I think you accidently locked your "caps" on .

RBL

Comment

How many bulbs are on, on the One Pocket. Org Christmas Tree?

1 2 3 4 OR 5?

Billy I.

Comment

Originally posted by cuesmith
                            cuesmith,

As long as you're imagining scenarios that will help you, you must also remember that the equal and opposite scenarios also apply. Consider this: as you say, you use your "get out of jail free" card and escape a deadly trap. Good for you. Now three shots later you are in a trap where you need your "get out of jail free" card 5 times more than before but it's gone now because you already used it once. You must consider this scenario also to make the game. Point being that you don't know when is the absolute "right" time to use it. It might help you temporarily and then hurt you by not having it later.

Dennis

Comment

How many bulbs are on, on the One Pocket. Org Christmas Tree?

1 2 3 4 OR 5?

Billy I.
                              I count 3 and maybe 4 on tonight .

Comment

~ ~ ~

PS, That's me in the pic, on the far right, and that's Cole Dixon on the far left...
                                That's f---ing funny.

Billy I.

Comment

Working...
                                X