Best Super Senior 1 Pocket player?

#Cruncher

Verified Member
For all our wise members here, in your opinion who plays the best 1 hole that is at least 70 years old? 75 years old?

I hope I don't ruin anyone's action, but its not like any of these guys are new kids on the block.;)

In honor of the 50th anniversary of Johnson City, maybe there should be a King of (Over) the Hill Challenge table at the Derby. Valid ID required.:D

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
One Pocket Ghost said:
My best guess would be that #1. in that age group could very well be 'Little Al' at Hard Times in L.A.

- Ghost

What about Danny D. from Buffalo!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
#Cruncher said:
For all our wise members here, in your opinion who plays the best 1 hole that is at least 70 years old? 75 years old?

I hope I don't ruin anyone's action, but its not like any of these guys are new kids on the block.;)

In honor of the 50th anniversary of Johnson City, maybe there should be a King of (Over) the Hill Challenge table at the Derby. Valid ID required.:D
My good friend John recently turned 70 and shoots as straight as can be. He's not a gambler, but he might be very interested in a challenge/tournament format.

#Cruncher

Verified Member
Ok, here's my picks

Best player in their 60s - Jose Parica or Nick Varner
Best senior citizen (at least 65) - Buddy Hall or Cardone
Best player in their 70s - Little Al with John H a close 2nd
Best player at least 75 - San Jose Dick

Am I way off base?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I talked about this once about 6-7 years ago with a couple of guys...at that time I believed the best 70 or older One Pocket players were Jaffar 'Patcheye' Basheer and John Henry...maybe Squirrel also.

- Ghost

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
#Cruncher said:

I can't see anyone around his age beating beating Little Al, especially at Hard Times in Bellflower. I might give him a tussle on my home court but would be taking a little the worst of it.

His 9 ball game is not too shabby either.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Last time I saw PatchEye play was maybe 3 yrs ago. He played JAM up, solid A speed. I heard he had a stroke since then, and I don't know how well he plays now. But he was definitely in his 70's at the time.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
I talked about this once about 7 years ago with a couple of guys...at that time I believed the best 70 or older One Pocket players were Jaffar 'Patcheye' Basheer and John Henry...maybe Squirrel also.

- Ghost
I don't know how old John Henry was back in 86-87 but he was the only player that I ever saw run 7 balls on the very tight 5X10 snooker table that was the primary gambling table in that room at that time. This includes(if memory serves correctly) Cornbread, Grady, Jimmy Reid, Miami, Horseface Harry, Cowboy Dennis, Chicken, Natural, Watson & several others.

John played strong.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
iusedtoberich said:
Last time I saw PatchEye play was maybe 3 yrs ago. He played JAM up, solid A speed. I heard he had a stroke since then, and I don't know how well he plays now. But he was definitely in his 70's at the time.

Yeah and I'll add this to agree with you...out of all the strong older players that I've seen play, after they were 70 or older - Patcheye played at the highest speed out of all of them.

- Ghost

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah and I'll add this to agree with you...out of all the strong older players that I've seen play, after they were 70 or older - Patcheye played at the highest speed out of all of them.

- Ghost
The three off the best I would pick are Taylor Wimpy Kelly. I think thesse three players could have beaten the 65 and over players. Especialy Taylor and Kelly.

But again thier were a lot off great players. And too pick one would be unfair and imposable. Because on any given day any one off the great player could have beat the other player.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Marshall Carpenter would definitely be the clear winner in the 80 or over category. I didn't realize that Little Al was that strong. Does he never leave Southern Commufornia?

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Marshall Carpenter would definitely be the clear winner in the 80 or over category. I didn't realize that Little Al was that strong. Does he never leave Southern Commufornia?

Doc

Not very often Doc, but he does come up north for the Chuck Markulis Memorial 9 ball & usually cashes.

He still makes cues in his shop at Hard Times, Bellflower and stays pretty busy.