How common is this?

1pocketpro

From
Vancouver, WA
(Dippy vs Alex last night. They're playing rack-your-own.) Dippy makes a ball on the break and looks ready to run (4) and out. Dippy sits down and Alex shoots. Later Alex makes one on the break and turns the table over to Dippy. I guess they had agreed to play this way before the set started.

How common is this?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
1pocketpro said:
(Dippy vs Alex last night. They're playing rack-your-own.) Dippy makes a ball on the break and looks ready to run (4) and out. Dippy sits down and Alex shoots. Later Alex makes one on the break and turns the table over to Dippy. I guess they had agreed to play this way before the set started.

How common is this?

First I've heard of it.:)
Rod.
PS, After thinking about it a while I really like the idea. I never try to make one on the break, but they'll go in once and a while. when your opponent going to 5 or 6 it's a big disadvantage for you if they make one.

Last edited:

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, I saw that too and I was very confused. The commentators said they agreed that neither would shoot after the break, even if they made a ball. I think it's keep either one from running out. Dippy would only need 3 after the break, and could do it. Alex probably isn't going to run 17, but he'll be in a damn good spot to run a lot.

I think with a spot like that, it's a pretty good agreement. I'll never use it, but I'll probably not forget about it either. ;)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
plus they were playing rack your own, so for 20 grand, I'm sure neither one of them wanted someone "accidentally" making the rack increase your chances in making a ball. Specially for Viffer only needing 4.

I wasn't aware of that rule either, and I saw Alex make one on his break and then Viffer shot... I thought what the hell, but knew they must have made that a rule.:)

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
it sounds close to the 10ball rule of not winning when its made in the lower corners. Some tables just have a tendency to make the corner ball on the break. Seems to me the same tables let the other corner ball sneak out also...

g.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
First I've heard of it.:)
Rod.
PS, After thinking about it a while I really like the idea. I never try to make one on the break, but they'll go in once and a while. when your opponent going to 5 or 6 it's a big disadvantage for you if they make one.
Rod,

I know you're a numbers guy (more than I am) so tell me what you think: Is the "no shooting after the break" rule to Alex's advantage to the same or a lesser/greater degree than the "free foul per game" rule was for Dippy?

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
Rod,

I know you're a numbers guy (more than I am) so tell me what you think: Is the "no shooting after the break" rule to Alex's advantage to the same or a lesser/greater degree than the "free foul per game" rule was for Dippy?

Dennis
I'm not sure if you're tongue in cheek on this, but I think it is different from the scratch question, because getting to shoot again after the break, they could each "get their share" whether it be one or two for Viffer or 5-6 for Alex. But, I'd still say being able to continue would favor Viffer because of the liklihood of what each would get, and how important it would figure towards the end result of the game. i.e, if Viffer got even one or two more balls, he is a long ways home, and one or two seems often likely for him (based on my own Viffer - like level of play (maybe?). Whereas, Alex will probably get more than Viffer would off of a ball made on the break, but would he get 4.5 times what Viffer gets? I don't think so -- its not a wide open table...

Just my 2 cents.

Or --- ya got me, if you were fishin :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
I'm not sure if you're tongue in cheek on this, but I think it is different from the scratch question, because getting to shoot again after the break, they could each "get their share" whether it be one or two for Viffer or 5-6 for Alex. But, I'd still say being able to continue would favor Viffer because of the liklihood of what each would get, and how important it would figure towards the end result of the game. i.e, if Viffer got even one or two more balls, he is a long ways home, and one or two seems often likely for him (based on my own Viffer - like level of play (maybe?). Whereas, Alex will probably get more than Viffer would off of a ball made on the break, but would he get 4.5 times what Viffer gets? I don't think so -- its not a wide open table...

Just my 2 cents.

Or --- ya got me, if you were fishin :D
Steve,

I wasn't fishing and I think you're close. The thing I'm talking about is just what you said, Dippy being stopped from getting more balls probably helps Alex a little more than the "free foul" helped Dippy. If Dave makes one on the break he's 1/4 of the way home. That's strong enough right there.

Dennis

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
If you are playing Pagulayan, you'd better have that rule about breaking and then sitting down. In the 2001 World's tourney, playing Parica, Alex made a ball on the break three straight times and then ran 6, 5 and 8 balls in those three games, before Parica ever got to the table. He won the match 4-3. :eek:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
vapros said:
If you are playing Pagulayan, you'd better have that rule about breaking and then sitting down. In the 2001 World's tourney, playing Parica, Alex made a ball on the break three straight times and then ran 6, 5 and 8 balls in those three games, before Parica ever got to the table. He won the match 4-3. :eek:

Just noticed your signature. Don't think I need any Thank you very much.;)