A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
I know this has been discussed somewhere in the forums before, but in the "spirit" of Ghost (see what I did there), I'm bumping up some ole photos that should easily bring a smile to all: black and white photos from ~1970 in Bensinger's:

I have the book and highly recommend it for those who still enjoy physical things. Here's what the photographer, Helaine Garren, had to say about it:

“While studying photography I chose to shoot a series on Bensinger’s, a classic old-time pool hall that had been the inspiration for The Hustler. I had spent a good deal of time shooting pool there and thought the beautiful side lighting and shady characters would provide an ideal setting. I began shooting with a telephoto lens at first. I didn’t want to disrupt the concentration and social dynamics at the tables. I was there so often, though, that I became a fixture and could sit right next to the tables, and no one seemed to notice me.”

unoperro

Verified Member
This from my fave niece

Attachments

• received_164104005032529.jpeg
    received_164104005032529.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 11

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I know this has been discussed somewhere in the forums before, but in the "spirit" of Ghost (see what I did there), I'm bumping up some ole photos that should easily bring a smile to all: black and white photos from ~1970 in Bensinger's:

I have the book and highly recommend it for those who still enjoy physical things. Here's what the photographer, Helaine Garren, had to say about it: ...
Great pictures! Are there any of Artie Bodendorpher? I've seen ones of Freddy and the Ghost.

Thanks

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I noticed that there wasn't a caption identifying the player for photo #08. That appears to be the late Paul Jones from Chicago. He was a very accomplished straight pool player and had more proposition bets about trivia than anyone I ever met from saying the alphabet backwards in five seconds to naming every Baseball World Series winner to naming every country in the world forwards and backwards! He died some years ago and would have been in his mid seventies if he had been alive today.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc,

I believe that this room is still in operation, under a different owner obviously. I'm not sure if it's made it through the shutdown as I haven't been up that way in quite a while. Plenty of cool points including the speakeasy sliding hatch.

Keith
Good to hear, Keith. I love the look of those old time rooms. Some of them had a lot of style. Now most are way too fussy and loud.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I'd like to play a Filler a game with those.. (A game of Jacks with those large jacks)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
My wife's 2 years old birthday party. The astute observer will notice the two rock stars' pictures on the upper shelf...

Kitty at 2 FZ-CB.png
[disclaimer: a band member friend of hers photoshopped in the Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa pictures...]

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What a great find, Ghost! That put me right back into the '60s. That's the old entrance on the Western Ave. side. By the late '70s the entrance had moved back around to the Hollywood Blvd. side, which was actually more attractive, and Art Deco-ish. Arnie Satin owned it by then. I've forgotten who the earlier owner was. Henderson will remember.

The pool player graphic was probably modeled after Ralph Greenleaf. Seems to me there was a barbershop at one time to the left of the entrance. I'd forgotten that they had "Billiards" also written in Filipino, Korean, and Spanish. It was one of the most memorable rooms where all the greats had played, including some of the great 3C players.