A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What a great find, Ghost! That put me right back into the '60s. That's the old entrance on the Western Ave. side. By the late '70s the entrance had moved back around to the Hollywood Blvd. side, which was actually more attractive, and Art Deco-ish. Arnie Satin owned it by then. I've forgotten who the earlier owner was. Henderson will remember.

The pool player graphic was probably modeled after Ralph Greenleaf. Seems to me there was a barbershop at one time to the left of the entrance. I'd forgotten that they had "Billiards" also written in Filipino, Korean, and Spanish. It was one of the most memorable rooms where all the greats had played, including some of the great 3C players.
*Bump* for Henderson...

keoneyo

Verified Member
Its also written in Thai as Little Bangkok is right around the corner East on Sunset. Mr3C used to be houseman there and Hollywood Jack spent a lot of time there. Arnie used to hang around with a guy named Moose. When he passed they cleaned out his closet and found hundreds of womens purses and their IDs. Those days were rough. You could go in and put an order in for whatever you wanted and they would have it there the next day. TVs, radios, recorders, you name it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Its also written in Thai as Little Bangkok is right around the corner East on Sunset. Mr3C used to be houseman there and Hollywood Jack spent a lot of time there. Arnie used to hang around with a guy named Moose. When he passed they cleaned out his closet and found hundreds of womens purses and their IDs. Those days were rough. You could go in and put an order in for whatever you wanted and they would have it there the next day. TVs, radios, recorders, you name it.
Oh, it's Thai, not Korean. When Arnie acquired H-W he had a crony named "Tiny"-- a huge load of a guy who helped him run the room. He wasn't the same as "Moose" was he?

Yeah, Arnie took advantage of many runaway gals who came to Hyd for the glamor, and ended up on the streets...... or at Arnie's..
😟

unoperro

Verified Member
When I was growing up there were no Canadian geese here. I just had to stop and let about 60 of them cross the highway. These were the only ones I could get good picture of.They are wild geese comfortable at this bait farm.
No smart ass we don't all still live in log cabins😉received_329718481762227.jpeg

OldSchool

Verified Member
I can't decide which I like best in this historic photo taken in Times Square circa1951: The wild 8 story tall picture for the grand opening run of the iconic science fiction movie: The Day the Earth Stood Still - or looking over to the left, next door, the old Mayfair Billiards poolroom on the second floor(y)

Attachments

• ;       ;                        ;            The Biggest Sign on Broadway.png
    ; ; ; The Biggest Sign on Broadway.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: lll

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I can't decide which I like best in this historic photo taken in Times Square circa1951: The wild 8 story tall picture for the grand opening run of the iconic science fiction movie: The Day the Earth Stood Still - or looking over to the left, next door, the old Mayfair Billiards poolroom on the second floor(y)
Right on, OS! Great photo, great movie, great era. I don't know when Mayfair Billiards went under. I always confuse that one with 711. It was on 47th St. near the corner of 7th Ave., not very far from Ames on 46th.

OldSchool

Verified Member
Bout time somebody bumped this cool old thread - can't believe it's been a year and a half since the last post - scary how time flies...so then...

Here's a pic of my billiard room at my house, with my 400 yr. old 3cushion table o_O hey there 12squared, maybe you can come over one day to play some (y)

Attachments

• Versailles 1600 table.jpg
    Versailles 1600 table.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bout time somebody bumped this cool old thread - can't believe it's been a year and a half - scary how time flies...so then...

Here's a pic of my billiard room at my house, with my 400 yr. old 3cushion table o_O hey there 12squared, maybe you can come over one day to play some (y)

OldSchool, I am greatly impressed. What a fantastic poolroom!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Bout time somebody bumped this cool old thread - can't believe it's been a year and a half - scary how time flies...so then...

definitely an oldschool table..... (y)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Good lord! What a wonderful table and a room. You must live in a palace!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Lol, I was joking...of course that's not my house...that amazing table and room are in some palace in Europe.
Ha! You got me, there...😄

If I can find the pictures from a guy that posted here very briefly, I'll put them up. It's in New Mexico, and it's the grandest home pool room I've ever seen. He's got pool, snooker and billiard tables, and it's furnished with all kinds of vintage pieces: cue & ball racks, chairs, the works.

Here they are:
1676334734482.png
1676334676146.png
1676334642407.png
1676334570528.png

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ha! You got me, there...😄

If I can find the pictures from a guy that posted here very briefly, I'll put them up. It's in New Mexico, and it's the grandest home pool room I've ever seen. He's got pool, snooker and billiard tables, and it's furnished with all kinds of vintage pieces: cue & ball racks, chairs, the works.

Here they are:
View attachment 440076
View attachment 440075
View attachment 440074
View attachment 440073(Looks like AK47s place.) My memory isn't so hot anymore, It just came to me the the trophy/pool room guy was AKRICK. I'm surprised no one remembered him, many of you were here when he was posting. Sorry about the first bad info. Please don't laugh at this one Larry.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
(Looks like AK47s place.) My memory isn't so hot anymore, It just came to me the the trophy/pool room guy was AKRICK. I'm surprised no one remembered him, many of you were here when he was posting. Sorry about the first bad info. Please don't laugh at this one Larry.

Reactions: lll

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
(Looks like AK47s place.) My memory isn't so hot anymore, It just came to me the the trophy/pool room guy was AKRICK. I'm surprised no one remembered him, many of you were here when he was posting. Sorry about the first bad info. Please don't laugh at this one Larry.
You're right, Rod. His name was Rick. He didn't post too long, and I lost touch with him. Nice fella. He lived (lives) in southern New Mexico.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I remember Akrick. He used to pm me now and then. He didn't like to post, but he liked to check the MB. He liked Cowboy Jimmy Moore.