A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
...this is just a view of one small corner of Bensinger's - it's a pic of a couple of the billiard tables that were situated right past the front counter, right after you came in...this pic was taken during an ABA 3cushion billiard tournament in about 1970...that's the young Ghost that you're looking at, shooting on the foreground table...:)...
Great picture, Ghost. My first thought when looking at the picture was, "What's Rempe doing playing 3C?" You ought to go back to that hair style and mustache. I did recognize the grip hand position.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Confiscated

Confiscated

crystal cue said:
Does anyone know what happened to the tables and related equipment after Bensingers closed down?

Bob Seigel moved the whole room across the street. Being the idiot that he was, the joint did bad and went under. It remained closed for a few years with the tables still inside. I tried to buy the tables several times but Seigel was in la la land, and was dreaming that he was going to be able to reopen. The landlord eventually slipped into the room in the middle of the night, tore down all the tables and sold them off somewhere. For months Siegel didnt even know they had been removed.

Beard

He had a wonderful landlord. Lou Wolf. Owner of over 200 bldgs. Later sent to jail for setting fire to one of his tenement bldgs -- with the people still inside.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Artie.....I promised you that I would dig up an old Bensinger's photo that I had, and scan it, and I finally did - also I know that Steve Booth and other members have wanted to see what the old Bensinger's dungeon looked like..:)....I think it's appropriate that this pic was taken in black & white - gives it a nice 'back in the day' look...sure is a pretty poolhall isn't it - look at all of the tropical potted plants, the beautiful carpeting, and the polished mahogany and brass cueholders...:D...

...this is just a view of one small corner of Bensinger's - it's a pic of a couple of the billiard tables that were situated right past the front counter, right after you came in...this pic was taken during an ABA 3cushion billiard tournament in about 1970...that's the young Ghost that you're looking at, shooting on the foreground table...:)...playing on the table next to me in the pic, is Luis Campos - a champion-speed 3c player back at that time.

- Ghost

PS, Artie & Freddy...look at the top left in the pic - that's Marvin Goodman leaning against the pillar - a name from the past...and all the way up in the top left corner of the pic, partially obscured by a pillar and light fixture, is the famous old 'Angel Painting' hanging on the wall - hey Artie & Freddy, am I remembering correctly, that it was old Mrs. Bensinger that painted that angel painting?

What happened too the goast that looks likr a player. Wouldnt you like too return too those days.

Those tables were masterpeaces with the Ivory inlay. You couldnt aford too have one off those tables made today.

You see the didnt even put the side rails back on thats how lazzy they got. You can see the screws in the tables.

I would say the table you are playing on is table number 3 from the counter. First two rowes were all three coushion tables.

Sure would have been nice too have more pictures. Chriss mite have somr pictures off Bensingers. Chriss and his friend To who was about 6 foot 7 use too come down to Bensingers all the time.

They loved watching one pocket. After that is when he bought Chrisses Biliards. They would go too the golden eight ball too. Two real classy men.

Table 3 was 3 tabeles away from the counter. direct same line. You can see the duset on the table and legs. Its a same Freedy didnt buy them all and rejuvinated them.

He could have gotten 20 or 30 thousand dollaers a peace for them. THey dont make tables like that no more.

Thanks for the picture Bob Siegale lives at the Belair hotel on Diversey. He still drives a cab for the city.

He might have some pictures or Johhy Yates or Marry Herline OR Kennady or Jessy or thier children or thier relatives.

And you might even be able too get a hold off Norman and Missis Bensingers Son he must have some off those old pictures.

And the painting off the nude picture a Famous Frence Aryist drew.

And the painting off the Angale misses Bensingers mother drew.

And the lawyer got the paintings from miss Bensingers when she sold me the pool room.

I should have paid the layer with cash and keepte the paintings. I wasant smart enough at the time. But thier is a lot too learn in life.

And just when we think we no everything we realize how little we realy no.

Thanks for a great picture and taking the time too post it. A lot off different faces went through that pool room. And people from all walks off life.

Marvine Goodman worket for the city. Hadest job he had was picking up his pay check. And he loved 3 cushuion billiards.

And he loved playing straight pool with Gorge Felles. And if you had 100 parking tickets he would take care off them for spit.

He was in his ninties when he died. And his son was a police detective. He also liket playing straight pool with Fat Jerry. Sure brings back memories.

Especialy too the people who lived in those times and were a part off that pool room.

The biggest part that people dont see and understand. Bensiongers was more then our pool room. It was our home and out roots.

And all the other areas the south side west side and north side were all part off Bensingers.

WE all belong too this one big beautifull pool room. Bensingers was too all the pool rooms. Like City Hall was to the city. Bensingers was the granddady off them all.

Number one without a dought and every place I would go the would all talk about Bensingers.

And if you go and do the research on Bensingers from the beginning to thee end. You will see thats the truth.

It will take you back in the eighteen hundreds. And thier were multiple pool rooms called Bensingers in Chicago owned by Bensingers and his Family before.

ANd no were else in the world has thier ever beem a pool room with the history and class that Bensingers had.

Its reputaion is number one because it was number one. And if you go back and check ouy all iys history you will see it for yourself.

Dont just look at Bensingers Billiardsat Clark and Diversey but go back before even Downtown and you will see thier has never been a pool room with that kind off legacy and reputayion. Its not even close.

Just go back too the beginning and its all thier in black and white,

THamks again goast for everything. And maybe someone that wants too show the whole history off Bensingers will see its not just another great pool room.

But the Granddaddy off all the pool roomes. And ists history will live forever.

I think my facts are pretty accurate. And People can add and say what they like.

But the people who realy no are the people who were part off this great Billiard hall. And thier will never be another Bensingers.

AB THe Years off the Hustlers.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Artie.....I promised you that I would dig up an old Bensinger's photo that I had, and scan it, and I finally did - also I know that Steve Booth and other members have wanted to see what the old Bensinger's dungeon looked like..:)....I think it's appropriate that this pic was taken in black & white - gives it a nice 'back in the day' look...sure is a pretty poolhall isn't it - look at all of the tropical potted plants, the beautiful carpeting, and the polished mahogany and brass cueholders...:D...

...this is just a view of one small corner of Bensinger's - it's a pic of a couple of the billiard tables that were situated right past the front counter, right after you came in...this pic was taken during an ABA 3cushion billiard tournament in about 1970...that's the young Ghost that you're looking at, shooting on the foreground table...:)...playing on the table next to me in the pic, is Luis Campos - a champion-speed 3c player back at that time.

- Ghost

PS, Artie & Freddy...look at the top left in the pic - that's Marvin Goodman leaning against the pillar - a name from the past...and all the way up in the top left corner of the pic, partially obscured by a pillar and light fixture, is the famous old 'Angel Painting' hanging on the wall - hey Artie & Freddy, am I remembering correctly, that it was old Mrs. Bensinger that painted that angel painting?
Thanks for posting this Ghost -- you're right, I love seeing this. Would that be your hippy chick girlfriend watching? :D

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
great pic... I Love seeing those kind of pictures to take me back in time and offer a glimpse into everyday life in a legendary pool hall. Now what would be REALLY cool, is if you could scan them at 300 dpi and make them available to us to download so we could view them in a very large size. That is what is really cool... being able to see them blown up and catch more details.

You could upload them here and I can make them easy to download for anyone. Just let me know and I"ll give you a user/pass to upload them into a folder.

http://www.oldpoolhall.com/help/coreftp.html

This is some instruction on how to use FTP. Mary Kenniston did it all on her own without any additional help, besides that quick tutorial:)

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

Nice photo Ghost, I recognized Marvin instantly as well as Luis Campos.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Glad you guys enjoyed the old pic...I'll see what else I've got...

- Ghost

PS, I had a favorite one, but I've searched and searched through my old pics and I can't find it, so I guess I lost it..:(..it was a pic of me playing 9ball against 'Brooklyn Butch', taken at Ye Billiard Den in Los Angeles in 1969.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

Norman Fougale I think was the counter man. All the cooper spituines were gone by then too.

Do you have any pictures off all the people who workt thier. Or can you look them up on the internet maybe the will have some pictures off them.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Here's a couple of old Chicago poolroom business cards...

One is about 35 yrs. old - it's from Freddy & 'Racetrack Phil's' Northshore Billiard Club - which, by the way, had just as much cards being played as pool...

The other card is 45 yr's old (still has the old time style phone number and 2 digit zip code), and I'm especially posting this pic up for Artie...Hey Artie, how's this for a name from the past - Bob Cortim...I think you used to go upstairs there to Kedzie/Leland Rec. once in awhile to take a few dollars off of Bob...Freddy & Billy S. probably remember the place also.

- Ghost

Attachments

• scan0013.jpg
    scan0013.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 2
  • scan0014.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 2

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Here's a couple of old Chicago poolroom business cards...

One is about 35 yrs. old - it's from Freddy & 'Racetrack Phil's' Northshore Billiard Club - which, by the way, had just as much cards being played as pool...

The other card is 45 yr's old (still has the old time style phone number and 2 digit zip code), and I'm especially posting this pic up for Artie...Hey Artie, how's this for a name from the past - Bob Cortim...I think you used to go upstairs there to Kedzie/Leland Rec. once in awhile to take a few dollars off of Bob...Freddy & Billy S. probably remember the place also.

- Ghost

NO I didnt see it I miss a lot off pictures and posts. But I dont no howe I got it But I have the old Logo off this from Freddys Club. I dont no how I got it but I have it.

I made one off my biggest scores up thier on the escond floor. Thats Were Spurling Hung out he was one off my best coustomers. And Barry Wicker Scotty.

They had a big jewish click they all bet on Bob. He was thier Hero. I Won big money up thier. I layed it all down perfect. I started out playing Bob Cordum straight pool .

I lost 3 games real bad 50 point games. And then I got a big spot and everyone in the place bet on Bob.

And thier would be 15 names on the list betting on Bob. He had no chance winning even.

But I beat him 2 or 3 times for big money. And then he wouldnt play no more straight pool.

And I had two guys with me that wore suites. I said they worket at the stock market. Thier all millionares you can bet them whatever you want.

They will never say no. And then Bob Husled me too play 3 coushion Billiards
. I told him he is a world champion.

He playes wright under Bill Romaine. And he spots me 14 on 25 points. And Bob said I will spot you 10 points too 25 and I said I need more. I cant play.

And he said show some gamble . Iwill give you 12 points and I said ok.

I played him for 3 hundred dollaers a game. And he beat me 25 to 16 and 25 to 15. And I said I dont have a chance and he said you only gamble when you win.

I said no but im no fool either. I will play you the same way Bill romain Plays me 14 on 25. ecause I dont think Bill can beat you on youre table.

And I said I will play you saturday. A game off straight pool even. And a game off three coushion 14 on 25.

And they all said ok what Time I said I will be buy with my two friends the stock Brockers at ten oclock.

They said ok. I said bring lots off money because nobody can out bet these two stock brockers. And they said ok.

And saturdat camevand people were betting with both hands They had 22 two names on the sheet.

And Bob was betting 5 hundred a game. And Spidling was betting a thousand dollaers a game. And everyone was betting big because they all thought they were stealing.

Little did they no. And the two stock brockers said is that it. And we were betting like 8 thousand dollaersa game.

A game off straight pool and a game off 3 coushion. And I won both games pretty close games.

And when I would shoot a 3 coushion shot. I would bang at the balls. Hopeing too get lucky and lucking in some shots.

And If I would luck in a shot I would try real hrad too dun 2 or 3 dilliards.

So it would look like I got lucky too win. And Bob would be crying look how luck he is getting. That was music too my eares.

And I would win real big money. And Bob said He doesnt want too play no more pool only 3 coushion billiards.

And bob said he would give me 12 on 25 take it or leave it.

And I said ok oonly two more games. And I won the first game 25 to 23 and the second game 25 to 22.

And I would luck in a billiard and run one or two more. And that was driving Bob nuts.

And I said thats it. And Bob said I will play you some more tommarow. And I said my frieds work and the stock market.

And I sais wendsday. He said ok.

So wendsday he playeagain 12 on 25 and then we changed it to 10 on 25 they wound up was a kepte beating him and hiswhole click and then I beat Spurling real good too.

And then 3 guys but a gun too me going down the staiers and in thier car.

But I dont no howe many words I have left.

But Iwill finish up the whole story on my next email. Very interseting what happines.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
NO I didnt see it I miss a lot off pictures and posts. But I dont no howe I got it But I have the old Logo off this from Freddys Club. I dont no how I got it but I have it.

I made one off my biggest scores up thier on the escond floor. Thats Were Spurling Hung out he was one off my best coustomers. And Barry Wicker Scott

But Iwill finish up the whole story on my next email. Very interseting what happines.

You mean three guys put a gun on you going down the stairs and put you in their car?? I hope you finish this story, Artie. It's very interesting and entertaining. I could only dream of laying a spread and then coming back to mop up later like you could do. I would screw it up somehow for sure..

You know awhile back I was studying the young life of Bobby Fischer who was a chess champ, and a drummer out of vaudville named Buddy Rich, along with a singer you may have heard of named Sinatra, all at the same time. That will keep you busy for a few days. I do believe that if you took all of these guys accomplishments, and added the total of all the AZB members accomplishments it might total 50% of what you have done in your lifetime. It has been an honor

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Jimmy B said:
You know awhile back I was studying the young life of Bobby Fischer who was a chess champ, and a drummer out of vaudville named Buddy Rich, along with a singer you may have heard of named Sinatra, all at the same time. That will keep you busy for a few days. I do believe that if you took all of these guys accomplishments, and added the total of all the AZB members accomplishments it might total 50% of what you have done in your lifetime. It has been an honor

Jimmy... do you really believe that?

All of Bobby Fischer's accomplishments
All of Buddy Rich's accomplishments
All of Frank Sinatra's accomplishments
All of every member from AZB's accomplishment

Add all of these together and they MIGHT total 50% of Artie's accomplishments.:confused::confused:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:
Jimmy... do you really believe that?

All of Bobby Fischer's accomplishmentsGot Iceland to make him a citizen.
All of Buddy Rich's accomplishmentsBest 9-Ball player ever.
All of Frank Sinatra's accomplishmentsPoked out Sammy Davis Jr's eye.
All of every member from AZB's accomplishmentThis might be a negative.

Add all of these together and they MIGHT total 50% of Artie's accomplishments.:confused::confused:
Greg,

He's following in the illustrious footsteps of some of the greatest posters ever here and you have the nerve to challenge him? What would MiketheBike say to that?:p

RBL

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:

I made one off my biggest scores up thier on the escond floor. Thats Were Spurling Hung out he was one off my best coustomers. And Barry Wicker Scotty.

They had a big jewish click they all bet on Bob. He was thier Hero. I Won big money up thier. I layed it all down perfect. I started out playing Bob Cordum straight pool .

I lost 3 games real bad 50 point games. And then I got a big spot and everyone in the place bet on Bob.

And thier would be 15 names on the list betting on Bob. He had no chance winning even.

But I beat him 2 or 3 times for big money. And then he wouldnt play no more straight pool.

And I had two guys with me that wore suites. I said they worket at the stock market. Thier all millionares you can bet them whatever you want.

They will never say no. And then Bob Husled me too play 3 coushion Billiards
. I told him he is a world champion.

He playes wright under Bill Romaine. And he spots me 14 on 25 points. And Bob said I will spot you 10 points too 25 and I said I need more. I cant play.

And he said show some gamble . Iwill give you 12 points and I said ok.

I played him for 3 hundred dollaers a game. And he beat me 25 to 16 and 25 to 15. And I said I dont have a chance and he said you only gamble when you win.

I said no but im no fool either. I will play you the same way Bill romain Plays me 14 on 25. ecause I dont think Bill can beat you on youre table.

And I said I will play you saturday. A game off straight pool even. And a game off three coushion 14 on 25.

And they all said ok what Time I said I will be buy with my two friends the stock Brockers at ten oclock.

They said ok. I said bring lots off money because nobody can out bet these two stock brockers. And they said ok.

And saturdat camevand people were betting with both hands They had 22 two names on the sheet.

And Bob was betting 5 hundred a game. And Spidling was betting a thousand dollaers a game. And everyone was betting big because they all thought they were stealing.

Little did they no. And the two stock brockers said is that it. And we were betting like 8 thousand dollaersa game.

A game off straight pool and a game off 3 coushion. And I won both games pretty close games.

And when I would shoot a 3 coushion shot. I would bang at the balls. Hopeing too get lucky and lucking in some shots.

And If I would luck in a shot I would try real hrad too dun 2 or 3 dilliards.

So it would look like I got lucky too win. And Bob would be crying look how luck he is getting. That was music too my eares.

And I would win real big money. And Bob said He doesnt want too play no more pool only 3 coushion billiards.

And bob said he would give me 12 on 25 take it or leave it.

And I said ok oonly two more games. And I won the first game 25 to 23 and the second game 25 to 22.

And I would luck in a billiard and run one or two more. And that was driving Bob nuts.

And I said thats it. And Bob said I will play you some more tommarow. And I said my frieds work and the stock market.

And I sais wendsday. He said ok.

So wendsday he playeagain 12 on 25 and then we changed it to 10 on 25 they wound up was a kepte beating him and hiswhole click and then I beat Spurling real good too.

I will tell you one off the creeps that was in with the 3 creeps. Freddy knowes him.

Scottie His dads name was Larry. He hit Meyer Siegale in the head with a gulf club. .

I sidnt no Scottie at the time or thee other two guys.

I walked down the staiers and The put the gun too me and said get in the car.

And they said give usall youre money so I did. I never played a tough guy. Take whatever I have its all youers.

And they thought they were real smart and hwe slick they were and howe easy it was.

And I said you have everything I have even my cue stick can I go nowe.

And he sais we dont no if we are going too let you go. I said you got the money what else do you want.

I dont no you guys I have nothing against you. And they wanted too show howe tough they were. I never gave them a reason for getting mad at me.

I handeled it the nicest way I new. Then one off them treatened me.

And then I said You have no Idea what you are up against. And he said what do you mean.

I said you see that car behind you do you no who that is.

They said no. Well he will follow you wereever you go and when his crew showes up youre all history. Do you underseand that.

They only chance you have is too give me back my money and cue stick and forget about what happened.

And I said it doesnt mayyer what happines too me because your not going to be around either unless you let me go.

And they thought I was bluffing. And I said make a turn the next block and see if the car keeps followeing you.

And it did. And then they turned again and the man in the car started too wave his pistole at them.

And they thought they seen a Goast. And I said this man is a cold blooded killer. Not just a tough guy. And lis crew is the worst.

The only out you have is too stop the car and let me out. And give me back my money and cue.

And thats what they did they pulled up too the next street and let me out. with the money and cue.

I didnt say anything else. I got out off the car and the drove off and my guy picket me up.

And he said what do you want too do with those guys. He said I got thier liscence number. If you need it. I said no just forget about it.

But nobody new that this man was in the pool room every day I was thier too watch my back.

He would get a pool table in the corner all by himself and nobody new hwo he was or what he did.

He loosket like a square playing pool by himself. But he was thier with me. And not even the two stock broocker new who he was. Or that he was thier with me.

But that was a real good action spot. And years latter that Scottie came down too bensingers and he would hang around.

But I never said noyhing too him about what happened. And he new better then too say anything.

Because he new who those people were. And he would come down too Bensingers once in a while and ask me everything ok.

I said yes everything is ok. But I always would think ahead off time. What too do. And not too get in a trap were you win the money and dont get too leave with it.

I had Quite a few incedences like that. But if you live on the edge anything can happen.

And when I went too MCC in Chicago. I herd the story about when I beat Bugs for 18 thousand dollaers.

That they followed us in the snow for two days and if we would have hocket upand splite the money we would have both been history.

I told Bugs the story and he said Ya we both would have been history.

And I was in Mcc and I was on the second bunk. !0 black guys came around me.

I had no clue what was going too happen. And I was Plaenty scared.

And the leader said you the man that beat out man Bugs. And I said yes.

He said you ok with us. Your one off us and you got whatever we have. He tols one off his members too give me the bottom bunk.

And tahe the top bunk. And his member said you going to give this homkie my bunk.

And he pointed at me and said you see that man thier.

HE IS BLACKER THAN YOU ARE. And i told Bugs what happened and Bugs said thats the greatest complimente I could have got.

And I told the leader boy was I lucky he said why. I said because whenever I would beat Bugs he would come and look for me for his snap back concederation.

And I said what if you guys thought we were spliting the money. And we both would have gotten killed for nothing.

He said that would have been a big mistake. But the strongest thing around Blacks is not that you have big money but they respect talante.

And the leader told me it wouldnt have been nothing too robe me and take all the money.

But because off Bugses respect too me and me beating thier champion I got a pass.

And thier are lots off more stories.

About Bugs and me playing pool. You can win the money but if you dont figure out ahead off time howe too protect it.

Then you are a target to get histed.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Jimmy B said:
You mean three guys put a gun on you going down the stairs and put you in their car?? I hope you finish this story, Artie. It's very interesting and entertaining. I could only dream of laying a spread and then coming back to mop up later like you could do. I would screw it up somehow for sure..

I was unaware that Buddy Rich was a vaudeville drummer. I know he was one of the greatest jazz drummers who ever lived, and he was about as quick as Don Rickles with a witty retort.
I'm sure Doc, being a drummer himself, probably listened to a lot of Buddy's recordings.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Greg,

He's following in the illustrious footsteps of some of the greatest posters ever here and you have the nerve to challenge him? What would MiketheBike say to that?:p

RBL

CaliRed Are you going too get me a apointment with one off those top politicians.

Or If I wright the Idea off Internet gambling and saveing the country can you get it out all over the country.

Some one has too respond too it.

Your a very sharp young man. Can you get this done??? Yes or No.

I dont like too keep asking someone if they dont want too do something.

Andno matter what your answer you will still be ok with me. Thank you kindly Sir.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
philwelch said:
I was unaware that Buddy Rich was a vaudeville drummer. I know he was one of the greatest jazz drummers who ever lived, and he was about as quick as Don Rickles with a witty retort.
I'm sure Doc, being a drummer himself, probably listened to a lot of Buddy's recordings.

Hey Phil. Buddy was a child performer in vaudeville. He became the second highest paid child behind only Jackie Coogan. Later he improved so much and began to do things with both hands that cannot be copied by anyone today no matter how much you study and watch him. Yes he had great wit and a violent temper often cursing out his young band. One of his bus tantrums was secretly recorded and can be heard on youtube now. At one point he blew his savings, about 250,000, along with 50,000 that Sinatra gave him, trying to organize his own jazz band, and had to go back to working gigs wi Harry James or whoever. Later came The Carson Show where he really shined and he hit big, touring and opening at least two clubs. Once he fired a band member during a performance. He called for number 28 and he saw the kid sigh and groan a little, told him to take a hike. After the show he hired him back though. He was a great guy...........

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
CaliRed Are you going too get me a apointment with one off those top politicians.

Or If I wright the Idea off Internet gambling and saveing the country can you get it out all over the country.

Some one has too respond too it.

Your a very sharp young man. Can you get this done??? Yes or No.

I dont like too keep asking someone if they dont want too do something.

Andno matter what your answer you will still be ok with me. Thank you kindly Sir.

You have too ask Ray Humpfry they called him the Cammel. Way back before youre times.