Pool Nickname challenge

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Ronnie The Hat

Ronnie The Hat

fred bentivegna said:
Yeah, The Hat and I played on accu-stats in So. Carolina. The tables were some off breed made in somebody's garage. I never played in a tournament where the tables rolled off worse than these. I wanted to pour gasoline on them and throw a match. (of course I lost to the Hat)
the Beard
Fred, or any of you Chicago guys know if Ronnie The Hat is still with us or not?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
AKA The Bald Eagle

AKA The Bald Eagle

hemicudas said:
Fred, or any of you Chicago guys know if Ronnie The Hat is still with us or not?

As far as I know, Ronnie The Hat or The Bald Eagle as we also called him is around. I havent seen him in a few years, but I dont recall any obituaries.
the Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
As far as I know, Ronnie The Hat or The Bald Eagle as we also called him is around. I havent seen him in a few years, but I dont recall any obituaries.
the Beard
So there was another 'The Hat' besides Eddie Burton?

Btw, while I was at the Carolinas Open, I met and chatted with Charlie 'Straight Arrow' Brinson, and he told me that 'Country' was Calvin 'Country' Hargrove, from Texarkana. According to Charlie, when his chemicals were right, he was a very tough player. What a character Brinson is. He recalled having spent a few months at Weenie Beenie's room in Arlington VA -- literally! Since the room was open 24-7 he never even went outside for several months, getting his shut-eye by sleeping in a little alcove under the stairs :)

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
NH Steve said:
So there was another 'The Hat' besides Eddie Burton?

Btw, while I was at the Carolinas Open, I met and chatted with Charlie 'Straight Arrow' Brinson, and he told me that 'Country' was Calvin 'Country' Hargrove, from Texarkana. According to Charlie, when his chemicals were right, he was a very tough player. What a character Brinson is. He recalled having spent a few months at Weenie Beenie's room in Arlington VA -- literally! Since the room was open 24-7 he never even went outside for several months, getting his shut-eye by sleeping in a little alcove under the stairs :)
Actually it was, Calvin "Country" Harcrow, Steve. Charlie was right about the mixture though. Calvin use to do pushups between racks. Looked something like this.

Last edited:

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Yeah, The Hat and I played on accu-stats in So. Carolina. The tables were some off breed made in somebody's garage. I never played in a tournament where the tables rolled off worse than these. I wanted to pour gasoline on them and throw a match. (of course I lost to the Hat)
the Beard
you lost to the hat ! you never told me that he beat you ! the hat played me two games in life . straight pool 50 points . I beat him 50 to 12 both games 4 years apart . mexican johnny staked him the second time . oh yeah I forgot ! I played 6 and stop ! mexican johnny retired backing him after that . race track phil

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Eddie The Hat Burton

Eddie The Hat Burton

philip guagliardo said:
you lost to the hat ! you never told me that he beat you ! the hat played me two games in life . straight pool 50 points . I beat him 50 to 12 both games 4 years apart . mexican johnny staked him the second time . oh yeah I forgot ! I played 6 and stop ! mexican johnny retired backing him after that . race track phil

Phil, the "Hat" that beat me in SC was Eddie Burton. You are thinking of Ronnie The Hat Mayes. (AKA The Bald Eagle)
Freddy

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
A whole bunch more nicknames...

A whole bunch more nicknames...

Here are a whole bunch of nicknames that I do not have complete information on. These are from various sources, but lack their real names. Some are old, old, old -- going back to the 30's.

Bus Driver Ronnie
Mexican Phil
Sleepy Bob
Pittsburgh John
Blue Shirt
Shoes
Brooklyn Charlie
Derby
Fifth Avenue Red
Tallahassee
Rockaway Abe
Big Gene
Gigolo
Subway
Harry the Russian
Brooklyn Jimmy
Spanish Eddie
Dago Frankie
Cowboy Weston
Boston Whitey
The Sicily Kid
Charlie the Hat
Seattle Slim
Farmer Jones
Johnny Icewater
West Coast Willie
Bowery Al
Brooklyn Charlie
Kokomo Joe

Ted Harris

From
Hollywood, Florida USA
NH Steve said:
Here are a whole bunch of nicknames that I do not have complete information on. These are from various sources, but lack their real names. Some are old, old, old -- going back to the 30's.

Bus Driver Ronnie
Mexican Phil
Sleepy Bob
Pittsburgh John
Blue Shirt
Shoes
Brooklyn Charlie
Derby
Fifth Avenue Red
Tallahassee
Rockaway Abe
Big Gene
Gigolo
Subway
Harry the Russian
Brooklyn Jimmy
Spanish Eddie
Dago Frankie
Cowboy Weston
Boston Whitey
The Sicily Kid
Charlie the Hat
Seattle Slim
Farmer Jones
Johnny Icewater
West Coast Willie
Bowery Al
Brooklyn Charlie
Kokomo Joe

What about Mike "Geese" Gerace, one of the best one pocket players ever... Waterdog, "Millionaire" Jake, "Rockville" Danny, "Patcheye", "Spanish" Pete, ...?

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
NH Steve said:

Mexican Phil...

Mexican Phil's real name was Felipe Valdez

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
demonrho said:
Mexican Phil's real name was Felipe Valdez
Thanks -- I've added that now.

To see the complete list, it can be found under the History of One Pocket page, look for the link on the left side for AKA: Pool Player Nicknmames and Monikers

Ted Harris said:
What about Mike "Geese" Gerace, one of the best one pocket players ever... Waterdog, "Millionaire" Jake, "Rockville" Danny, "Patcheye", "Spanish" Pete, ...?
Geese and Waterdog are in the OnePocket.org list. If you can add at least a last name, then I would love to include the new ones you've mentioned.

Welcome aboard, btw.

All help is is appreciated -- and anyone who has not yet joined OnePocket.org (shame on you :) ), then you can still help by using the Contact Form .

Last edited:

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
"Good Time" Charlie Owens

"Good Time" Charlie Owens

Just remembered another, Steve. "Good Time" Charlie Owens. Good friend of and as much fun as, Scotty Townsend. The boy could get the cash too.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I got a couple more for you

I got a couple more for you

NH Steve said:

Pittsburgh John -- Forgot last, spent many years at the Rack in Detroit
Blue Shirt -- Art was his first name.
Shoes -- Mike Gamboni from Round Lake, Ill.
Brooklyn Charlie -- Forgot last, he was shot twice by his wife.
Tallahassee -- Forgot, spent many years at the Rack in Detroit
Brooklyn Jimmy --- James Cassas, world class lemon man
Cowboy Weston -- Charles?
Farmer Jones -- Preacher Red, Charles Jones?
Kokomo Joe -- Joe Ross, beat every human that came through Moe's open- air poolroom on South Miami Beach.

The Beard

luckybreaky

Verified Member
HEres an ideal..!

HEres an ideal..!

I love the nicknames but you could tell how they got them and by who.. well the ones that are known anyway..

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
NH Steve said:
Between what y'all have posted here and sent in email, you're doing great -- keep 'em coming!

There must be more current players that have names that have stuck a little already...

Ryan McCreash - 'Genie Man'

Tony 'Who, Me?' Ruberto -- just kidding :)

Is 'Silver' Ochoa's first name actually Silver or Sylver?
What is 'Pookie's' real name?
Is 'Will Pay's name really Will Pay?

I haven't updated the list on line, but have been in my own files, getting the updates ready for the next changes, so just because you haven't seen the new names or corrections added doesn't mean I am ignoring them!
I think Will Pay just might be Cecil Peay from Louisville,KY.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
I just noticed this one, Steve

I just noticed this one, Steve

NH Steve said:
Tony 'Who, Me?' Ruberto -- just kidding :)
That has to be the funniest and most appropriate name I have seen. Got to let LJ in on this one.

TAP, TAP, TAP...

Last edited:

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Here's a couple more for you: John "the Polish Prince" Dovinsky, "Peru Paul" Bowman, Rich "the Hat" Geiler, "Three finger Ronnie" Sypher, Jimmy 'the kid' Wetch and my all time favorite - Steve "Cat Head" Shaw. At least that was his nickname around KY. Quite a road operator. Once in Lexington he went into a well known room with doctor's scrubs on(including the ones that go on your shoes), beer poured on him and glasses hanging crooked on his head. He ended up getting the eight ball from a lady that worked there and won a couple of Franklins.