No announcement yet.

Pool Nickname challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last time I saw 'Tall Paul' Barrows he was living in Reno NV. And, the player he was practicing against was John Henderson
    BTW, I took the video that is on YouTube.

Originally posted by gulfportdoc
    The "Tall Paul" from the Bay Area is Paul Barros (sp). He always played good shortstop speed-- about like Dave Piona. His game in his prime would be comparable to Mississippi's JayBird. Paul must be in his late fifties now. Our man John Henderson knows him very well.

Doc
    Been practicing more and more... still need a consistant stroke and glasses

Comment

Originally posted by SactownTom
      Last time I saw 'Tall Paul' Barrows he was living in Reno NV. And, the player he was practicing against was John Henderson
      That was a cute video, Tom. It cracked me up. Looks like it wasn't shot that long ago. Have you posted any others on YouTube?

Doc

Comment

That was a cute video, Tom. It cracked me up. Looks like it wasn't shot that long ago. Have you posted any others on YouTube?

Doc
        Paul & I were playing for $20 a game before the monthly Hard Times One Pocket Tournament. That safety I played makes me look like a sucker. Come to think of it, I am a sucker anymore. I told the guys at the room I have turned into the kind of guy I used to go looking for. I think I can still play (can't), have a little $$ and will bet it. I usually tee it up with Roger Estelle before the tournament, but he travels so much he isn't always there. Lets me bet want I want too. What a guy! The good thing about gambling before the tournament is they only have a couple of hours to take you off. There is a monthly tournament coming up next Saturday and there will be a few of them there early waiting to nab the prize (me). Billy Palmer wins most of the tournaments, but he may be in Reno at the Bar Table tournament, so someone else may have a chance.
        JOHN HENDERSON
        Al Romero Cue
        Magic Chalk

Comment

Doc
          Paul & I were playing for $20 a game before the monthly Hard Times One Pocket Tournament. That safety I played makes me look like a sucker. Come to think of it, I am a sucker anymore. I told the guys at the room I have turned into the kind of guy I used to go looking for. I think I can still play (can't), have a little $$ and will bet it. I usually tee it up with Roger Estelle before the tournament, but he travels so much he isn't always there. Lets me bet want I want too. What a guy! The good thing about gambling before the tournament is they only have a couple of hours to take you off. There is a monthly tournament coming up next Saturday and there will be a few of them there early waiting to nab the prize (me). Billy Palmer or T-Rex win most of the tournaments, but they may be in Reno at the Bar Table tournament, so someone else may have a chance.
          JOHN HENDERSON
          Al Romero Cue
          Magic Chalk

Comment

Would like to see

Originally posted by SactownTom
            Do you have a link to that video or do I have to search for it?
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jrhendy
              Come to think of it, I am a sucker anymore. I told the guys at the room I have turned into the kind of guy I used to go looking for. I think I can still play (can't), have a little $$ and will bet it.
              We used to call that chummin', John... A good tactic for unsuspecting fish. I suspect you're still a pretty dangerous player. Hell, I wish we had a monthly 1P tourney around here!

Doc

Comment

Tall Paul and John Henderson
                [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iTTCHEQ9Zkc[/ame]

Ronnie Allen practicing.
                [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZHE0Nn9K74[/ame]

These are the only videos I've posted and they were from last year.

Maybe there will be more in the future....

I've a ton of pics for the players in the HardTimes tournaments.
                Been practicing more and more... still need a consistant stroke and glasses

Comment

Thanks Ghost

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost
                  Gotta spellcheck that name for you....That would be Mike Surber....and he does play real good one pocket, and banks.
                  I knew it was Surber, that was one of those my fingers were going faster than my brain . Reckon I need to hire me a proof reader

Later, Pel
                  I shoot pool like I make love - I'm not very good but do have a lot of fun trying.

Comment

Deal Me IN

Originally posted by Pelican
                    .....that was one of those my fingers were going faster than my brain. Reckon I need to hire me a proof reader
                    Later, Pel

I'm avrailable.
                    Doug
                    ( for the write priece )

Comment

• I just updated the online list to reflect names that have been added over the last few months (or so )

http://onepocket.org/Nicknames.htm

Thanks to all who have contributed -- keep them coming!
                      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

• nick name in indy

brian ears gregg .dan waldo walton

Comment

• This aught to be good for a T-shirt

Unless I've missed something and I do admit to not reading all the posts--just the updated list of names--you missed Joe "Joker" Kerr. Who wouldn't recognize this famous promoter and player and real nice guy. R.I.P.

Comment

• names old timers

Billy T ----Jack Coonie Begged me to stear him to The SCORBORD in Rockwall I took him on a 100 mile trip to small bars in the country--But didn't take him to Billys bar!! Barbra and Jack stayed with me two weeks looking for him. They made money with me any way . You see I had a crush on Billy and SOMEHOW SET FIRE with a candle to his bed it burned up half the joint and he was a little mad at me!! SOOOO add Billy T to the list .he would bet the joint and all he could get. A lot of players came through Dallas looking to play him. He lost both leggs later on and I bartended there just befor he passed on I still have his hold -out table at a friends, You might beat him at pool but he got it back most of the time. I can tell this now I guess ???
                            Last edited by bjspivey; 03-17-2007, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by suki
                              However I don't know how many we will miss as I feel a lot of players that would be recognized in the West have never been heard of East of the Mississippi. Especially in the early years of pool when there was no internet.
                              Now the following I would suggest I am not sure everyone knows but I sure did and even in my early years I never got past Nevada playing pool.
                              Sax Del Porto Don't know if he had a nickname, cannot remember
                              Mark (the snake) Haddad
                              "One Eye" Hank Hurst
                              "Texas" Tony(forgot last name)
                              "San Jose" Dick (some people thought that was me. lol)(no last name)
                              "Filipino Gene" Gene Ventura?
                              Billy Palmer
                              Lettuce Larry(Oyler)
                              Ray(surfer) Suden at least that what we called him, might have another handle, he spent awhile on the east coast.

I am sure there are a lot more
                              Sax Dal Porto nickname is Sax his real name is Angelo some people did call him San Francisco Fats and when he did go back east he went by Mask Marvel he was a great one-pocket player. I wish more people that knew him would add more stories about him. I never meet him. His son Paul is a great friend of mine.

Comment

• One Pocket?

Originally posted by shooters1411
                                Sax Dal Porto nickname is Sax his real name is Angelo some people did call him San Francisco Fats and when he did go back east he went by Mask Marvel he was a great one-pocket player. I wish more people that knew him would add more stories about him. I never meet him. His son Paul is a great friend of mine.

I knew Sax from various tournaments. Very nice man, but I never ever seen him play onepocket. He was a good straight pool player.

the Beard
                                New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                                www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

Working...
                                X