What's the best shot?

Samiel

Verified Member
This came up the other day...

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AakW4BaiU3CLPo2PXgE3QcYt4Rcxt@[/CUETABLE]

I'm at pocket A and my opponent is at pocket B. It's my shot and we both need two balls.

I shot to bank the 1-ball, but I barely missed and the cueball went up and gave him a shot on the 2-ball and he got out. Was there something safer? Was it just a matter of me executing better? I tried to hit the 1-ball with enough inside to come up and hit the 2-ball, but it floated up past the 2-ball.

The table was also extremely slow, so I knew I had to hit the 1-ball with a little speed to make it. Just knocking the 1-ball away would have sold out the bank on the 3-ball I thought.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I would have shot the same shot as you did. The problem I have is getting to much inside and leaving an angle for my opponent to play position.
That said I usually hit the 2 ball.
Its a decision to shoot or play safe off the 3 ball and under the 1 ball.
I usually shoot myself, the odds of making the ball or hitting the 2 ball are good. You may leave the CB straight in and far away, making it hard to get two balls unless you hit the 3 ball.:)
Rod.

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
Bank the 3 to the long rail on your side and slide the cue ball off the end rail to try to freeze it under the 1 ball. This is not the time for an offensive shot.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
to both Jakie and Rod.

Looking at this shot, and maybe it's because it's the WEI... but because you're so far away with the cueball, and the 3 is pretty close to the end rail, as is the 1 ball too.... exactly how are you hitting this to "snuggle up against" the 1 ball?

It looks like the 3 is so close to the rail, that you can't really slow roll anything with lots of outside, no room for it to take effect

So that would leave a kind of a draw or stun type of shot, but then that's a lot of distance to drift the cueball over, to be able to come up behind it at a angle to snuggle up against it.

Help me out on how you're getting over there and what kind of stroke you're using:):confused:

Samiel

Verified Member
Remember also that this was a slow table, so if I slow-rolled the cueball to duck behind the 1-ball, there was no guarantee that the 3-ball would go much beyond the 2nd or 3rd diamond. I guess I could have also hit the 3-ball harder and hoped to knock out the 1-ball as well from behind. I'm not sure if I would have had the control to duck behind the 1-ball from where I was at.

bstroud

Verified Member
How tight were the pockets.

There is another shot.

Bank the 1 ball with good speed, a little reverse and let the cue ball go up to the end rail. Try to leave him fairly straight.

On a slow table you have a good chance to hit the 3 with the one.
Now you have 2 balls near your pocket and he has a tough shot on the 2.
Would he shoot at it if he could lose the game? Depends on your opponent.
Lots of variables here.

We need more info to know the correct shot.

Bill Stroud

Samiel

Verified Member
The pockets were probably just a bit bigger than 4.5", so not super tight, but not super loose either. He's a really "safe" player, so leaving him a shot where he would sell out if he missed isn't a bad idea. I will say that I didn't have a great feel for the speed of the table though.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
This is what i'm thinking is a good option.

Dud

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AakW4BaiU3CLPo2PXgE3QcYt4Rcxt3WLPo3WLYj2WKrVzc2kXgE3kLPX7kCid4kNlk4kbRtzc@[/CUETABLE]

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:
to both Jakie and Rod.

Looking at this shot, and maybe it's because it's the WEI... but because you're so far away with the cueball, and the 3 is pretty close to the end rail, as is the 1 ball too.... exactly how are you hitting this to "snuggle up against" the 1 ball?

It looks like the 3 is so close to the rail, that you can't really slow roll anything with lots of outside, no room for it to take effect

So that would leave a kind of a draw or stun type of shot, but then that's a lot of distance to drift the cueball over, to be able to come up behind it at a angle to snuggle up against it.

Help me out on how you're getting over there and what kind of stroke you're using:):confused:

Use somma dis.
Rod. :p

Attachments

• greg.jpg
    greg.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 0

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dudley said:
This is what i'm thinking is a good option.

Dud

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AakW4BaiU3CLPo2PXgE3QcYt4Rcxt3WLPo3WLYj2WKrVzc2kXgE3kLPX7kCid4kNlk4kbRtzc@[/CUETABLE]

Thats not bad. I would say most people would bank the one ball and hit the two ball with the cue gall. But thats close to a scratch too from the angle its showeing.

I would take a intentenale scratch and see what my opponent will do if he does the wrong thing I can win.

And I would role the cue ball too the other side off the table about a quater or a half a dimond from the top rail and a quater dimond off the side rail. And hope he shoots tge combination.

Because you are in a tough position I wouldnt want too be in this position and its my shoot.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
You should bank the 3 up on your side, cueball left on the END rail, there is no strength in trying to freeze on anything other than the RAIL.

And you get a chance to knock them away next inning, one by one and develop YOUR position. You should happily do that.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
shot

shot

I think that the shot is to thin the 2, come off the rail into the one, it should pull the one out to the first diamond the two goes to your side and the cue goes back two rails according to how full I hit the one...

I tried this 10 times on my table and was successful, on seven attempts so it gives a shot let him shoot it... a miss by him and its game over...

Of course the shot would depend on just how I felt I could roll the cue...

Bille

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wgcp said:
I think that the shot is to thin the 2, come off the rail into the one, it should pull the one out to the first diamond the two goes to your side and the cue goes back two rails according to how full I hit the one...

I tried this 10 times on my table and was successful, on seven attempts so it gives a shot let him shoot it... a miss by him and its game over...

Of course the shot would depend on just how I felt I could roll the cue...

Bille
what happines to the one ball and the cue ball and the bank cross corner.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
artie

artie

as long as I get the cue past the side pocket, all the shot seems to leave is a tough shot on the one... the three doesn't pass... plus it seems to improve my position at the table for my next inning...

looking at the table I am already in a tough place... I am trying to switch it to my advantange...

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wgcp said:
as long as I get the cue past the side pocket, all the shot seems to leave is a tough shot on the one... the three doesn't pass... plus it seems to improve my position at the table for my next inning...

looking at the table I am already in a tough place... I am trying to switch it to my advantange...

I dont get it I have too see the ball posiyions? I no you are in a tough position. I said that I wouldnt like to be in this position thats why I took a intentianal scratch.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
newfosgatesucks said:
You should bank the 3 up on your side, cueball left on the END rail, there is no strength in trying to freeze on anything other than the RAIL.

And you get a chance to knock them away next inning, one by one and develop YOUR position. You should happily do that.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AakW4BaiU3CLPo2PXgE3QcYt4Rcxt3WLPo3WKbi2WGqPzc2kXgE3kLPX7kImY3kEWjzc@[/CUETABLE]

From my perspective the hook is very important. Even If you leave them froze on the rail you are leaving a free shot. Having two balls on their side gives them many offensive options with the ball you just sent up table.

In many cases frozen is powerful but in this case I don't think so.

If my diagram doesn't show what you were describing please change it so it does I might not understand your shot.

Dudley

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dudley said:
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AakW4BaiU3CLPo2PXgE3QcYt4Rcxt3WLPo3WKbi2WGqPzc2kXgE3kLPX7kImY3kEWjzc@[/CUETABLE]

From my perspective the hook is very important. Even If you leave them froze on the rail you are leaving a free shot. Having two balls on their side gives them many offensive options with the ball you just sent up table.

In many cases frozen is powerful but in this case I don't think so.

If my diagram doesn't show what you were describing please change it so it does I might not understand your shot.

Dudley

This is not a bad shot if you can get the three ball thier.It looks hard to ge it theier and leaving the cue ball were its showen. But its not a bad shot.

And next shot if he brings the 3 ball to his pocket or makes it it could be roff. But thats not bad.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hate to admit it...

Hate to admit it...

...But I have to go with Artie's intentional scratch. By choosing that option you switch the pressure to the other player. You go from you having to execute a difficult shot perfectly to keep from losing the game, to now putting your oppo is a similar fix. If he makes the long combination he can win, but if he mis- executes, he loses. Options other than the combination are not very good either. I look at those situations like, "Let 'em make it and win. God bless him."

I have tried to bank that 1 ball from that distance many times, and have hit it too thin and went right into the pocket many, many times.

Personally, I love taking intentional scratches. I call it, "Feeding the dog in you, but living to pet him another day."

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was thinking something like newfosgate, except not trying to send the 3 ball very far -- I still want it on my side, only up toward the side pocket. Those who are concerned about the two balls on the opponent's side -- remember those are also in perfect one-rail bank locations for ME. This looks easy to control without any fancy stroke, why not?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AakW4BaiU3CLPo2PXgE3QcYt4Rcxt3WLPo3WMvl7WSnM2kXgE3kLPX7kLHW3kBEk4kCjX@[/CUETABLE]