Calling a foul

John Brumback

Verified Member
This might be a dumb ? or It might have been gone over,But anyway....
What if your opp Is not paying attention and you don't hit a rail after contact,
do you call It on yourself or not? I have wondered about this for a long time.
Thanks,John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
What if your opp Is not paying attention and you don't hit a rail after contact,
Thanks,John B.
John,

It's my job to watch your inning at the table, I don't let players call fouls on themselves. Conversely, I'm not putting up a ball unless you call a foul on me. It's your job when I'm at the table to watch my shot.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

It's my job to watch your inning at the table, I don't let players call fouls on themselves. Conversely, I'm not putting up a ball unless you call a foul on me. It's your job when I'm at the table to watch my shot.

Dennis

Whoo! Thanks cause that's the way I see It also.John B.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
A Foul Is A Foul

A Foul Is A Foul

John Brumback said:
Thanks,John B.
John, i guess if your opponent doesnt see it you could get away with it BUT if you fail to hit a rail IT IS A FOUL! I beleive you should tell your opponent you fouled, that is if you have integrity.. keith

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
sappo said:
John, i guess if your opponent doesnt see it you could get away with it BUT if you fail to hit a rail IT IS A FOUL! I beleive you should tell your opponent you fouled, that is if you have integrity.. keith
sappo,

Integrity has nothing to do with it. There are situations where it would be to your opponents advantage to spot a ball up and block shots.

If both players do their job then there will be no need for integrity to come into play.

There is no foul until your opponent calls one on you. Do your job and eliminate any problems. Integrity is not a question here.

Dennis

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Cowboy Dennis said:
sappo,

Integrity has nothing to do with it. There are situations where it would be to your opponents advantage to spot a ball up and block shots.

If both players do their job then there will be no need for integrity to come into play.

There is no foul until your opponent calls one on you. Do your job and eliminate any problems. Integrity is not a question here.

Dennis

What if you sit down then drop something on the floor and while you're picking it up your opponent shoots.

You stand up and ask what happened?

What do you say?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
stevelomako said:
What if you sit down then drop something on the floor and while you're picking it up your opponent shoots.

You stand up and ask what happened?

What do you say?
Steve,

When I was playing John McCue at your place I shot a ball and he was turned around lighting a cigarrette. He turned around when I shot a slow moving safety and he never saw anything hit a rail although a couple of balls did. He took a chance anyway, just to see how stupid I was. He said "did you get a rail there?". I told him that if he had been watching the shot then he would know. That ended the conversation.

As to your question: I have never and would never fail to see my opponents shot and then ask what happened. It's my possible loss for not paying attention to his shot.

Dennis

markgriffin

Verified Member
US Open One Pocket

US Open One Pocket

So - with the questions about 'snooze you loose' - or if you had a legitimate reason for not having your eyes on the table.

Do you guys think we should have a ref on the final table? Who would rule on all fouls made?

Would this be a good addition and on which matches should a ref be present.

We cannot have a ref on every table and every shot - but we can on so many of the final matches.

Your thoughts???

mark Griffin
(markg@playcsipool.com)
702-719-7665 office

akrick

Verified Member
Foul/Integrity/Honesty

Foul/Integrity/Honesty

IMO
I agree with Sappo and Steve. Honesty and integrity are not conditional (to me). What is the difference between not telling that you fouled and cheating? Semantics. If you can live with it you will....I guess. I would tell and it would not matter if it was a beneficial spot.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
akrick said:
IMO
I agree with Sappo and Steve. Honesty and integrity are not conditional (to me). What is the difference between not telling that you fouled and cheating? Semantics. If you can live with it you will....I guess. I would tell and it would not matter if it was a beneficial spot.
Steve didn't give an opinion either way, he asked two questions.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
markgriffin said:
So - with the questions about 'snooze you loose' - or if you had a legitimate reason for not having your eyes on the table.

Do you guys think we should have a ref on the final table? Who would rule on all fouls made?

We cannot have a ref on every table and every shot - but we can on so many of the final matches.

Your thoughts???

mark Griffin
(markg@playcsipool.com)
702-719-7665 office
mark i am just an amateur so take what i say for what its worth
having a ref at the finals just avoids controversy
jmho

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Dissagree

Dissagree

Cowboy Dennis said:
sappo,

Dennis
Dennis, i think your comments are for the most part absolutely correct but this is one that i have to disagree with.
I dont know about the other members here but my position is when John represents OnePocket.org in Las Vegas I hope he would call a foul on himself if he committed one. Keith

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
sappo said:
Dennis, i think your comments are for the most part absolutely correct but this is one that i have to disagree with.
I dont know about the other members here but my position is when John represents OnePocket.org in Las Vegas I hope he would call a foul on himself if he committed one. Keith
sappo,

Although I'm always talking about gambling situations when questions arise I would stand by what I believe no matter where the game was, tournament or not. To do less would show no character at all from me. If John accidently fouled the rock or didn't get a rail on a shot it would go against his own stated opinion here to call a foul on himself.

Let me be perfectly clear here: If John & I were gambling or in a tournament and he called a foul on himself and tried to spot a ball, I would tell him no. He and I both feel the same on this (scary) and we both know it's your opponent's duty to watch the game and call supposed fouls.

It's opponents who are lazy or distracted that leads to problems.

Dennis

akrick

Verified Member
Questions:
Could industrious conditional integrity lead to problems?
Is snooze you lose in a rule book?

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
John,

You're gonna wanna be careful about seeing things the way I do, people will start to think you're strange:p .

Dennis

I knew better than to say what I think first.Thanks for backing me up.I think you just explained It perfect.John B.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
markgriffin said:

Your thoughts???

mark Griffin
(markg@playcsipool.com)
702-719-7665 office[/QUOT

Her you go Mark. Griffen. Number one everyone is responsable for thier own game and table. No exceptions.

Even if a bomb goes off. Number two. Ask both players ahead off time iff they need a reff or not.

If you have enough Reffs I would use them in the finale 8 games down twords thee end.In every game.

Any shot that is qouistionable where a foul can oqouer or could happen. Both players must stand at the table and waite for a referee to come by and call the shot.

The player cannot shoot while the other player is standing at the table tell a refferee showes up. And calls the shot.

If the player shoots any way. He spots up a ball and looses his balls he made in that inning and its his opponents shot.

Breacking this rule twice in the same match. Is diequalification. And loss off match.

Just so thier are no tricks. The player who wants a reff to call the shot. Has to be standing up by the head off the table with his hand in the air. So the reff can see him.

And two players standing at the table should be noticed by a referee.

A player cannot run up too the table the last few seconds and call for a reff .

Or run up too the table too shark the player. Or put in a claim.

You need one or two head referees. In case A reff didnt see the shot or cant make a decision.

Waite and see what happines if the player doesnt call a foul let the game continue.

If the player calls a foul and the other player agrees then let the game continue.

If the player says he didnt foul then both players have a choice. flip a coin for who gets the decision. OR play the game over. And flip for the breack.

Anything that happines in a game rule or a tecknacalities.. The head referee makes a fair decision. Or go by the rules they are playing by first.

Any player trying to talk or shark his opponent. Or bothers the shooter in any way. A reff needs to be thier watching their game.

And unsportsmanship conduct is not allowed. And the player needs too be bared from playing in your totrnement.

You do not need people like that playing in your tournement. Because they will do whatever they can th shark and talk too win the game.

You do not need players like that. And thier are people like that. And you people running the tournements still let them play.

These people need too be told one time site down and keep quite no mumbling or talking too the audience. No moveing around while the other player is shooting,

Any out bursts or extra talking . Is didqualification from the game. And out off your tournements.

And the players no who these few people are.

Any rule or claim made the head reff must make a fair decision. And if a reff doesnt no the rule. Ask the head reff.

This should keepthe tournement pretty honest. And Peace full.

John Brumback

Verified Member
sappo said:

Hello sappo.I knew this was going to be a sticky subject that's why I wanted to bring It up. I have been arguing with people about this for quite some time.
IMO If there Is not a ref watching the match and EVERY shot then It's your opp job to watch every little thing that happens.That means don't drop anything or look away while I'm shooting.Pay attention. I'll say It again, that's why I brought It up.If Mark wants to make a rule that says you MUST call your own fouls,I will be glad to.Untill then.........NO Sorry to sound mean
But that's how I feel about this.John B.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
John Brumback said:
Thanks,John B.

I made a living for many years booking the sports. a lot of my success was based my reputation and word. I thought it would look bad to people I was doing credit business to not seem honest. I've played a lot of high stakes pool. When my opponent was OK and not doing anything wrong, if I fouled I put one up. Playing cheap with jerks I still volunteer them. I even leave my made balls in the rack below the front of the table, I haven't had more than one stolen by the same guy.:p
Rod.
PS, I certainly understand you and Cowboy's point of view and think it to be technically correct.:)