New rules Idea

John Brumback

Verified Member
I brought this up with Ken Shuman while I was at the us open.I've been thinking about this for along time.You know when your racking the balls for one pocket and some people think your pulling a move when you put a certain
colored ball In the front?(nobody likes the 8ball there) Well my Idea and the one I mentioned to the reffs out there were why don't they just have a rule that It has to be a stripe or some color that doesn't seem to bother anyone In the front.Like maybe the oneball? What do ya'll think about that? Ken said he thought It was a good Idea but he may have forgotten It by now.I think It's a great Idea.Just have a
Standered ball ( I'm thinking the 1ball).
Hold on,
One more..When spotting a ball I think It should be a rule that the number on the ball must point straight up.Man I have seen to many people set the number on the ball right where you have to hit It.Ya know,just a small shark.I know these seem nitpicky but why not just have the rule set? Seems pretty simple to me.Nitpicky John B.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
In all games I put the 1 ball in front, I think in one pocket putting the 1 ball in front and 2 dark balls behind it are the best bet so you can see better where you need to hit on the break.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
John,

The US Open One Pocket tournament rules are based on the OnePocket.org rules. Where not covered by tghe OP rules, the World Standardized Rules cover the situations.

Ken Shuman is a great TD and contributed to the restructuring of the BCA Pool League rules a few years ago. But, Ken is not connected in any way with the OnePocket or WSR orgs.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
My own preference, when I break, is to have two contrasting colors in the aiming positions - such as the 1 and the 8 or the 6 and the 5, and I don't care which one is in front. I don't like a stripe in front. Lenny has the right idea.

Sometimes there is this problem - the front ball won't snug up in the rack. It seems to be usually a solid color, probably due to the extra use in 9 ball games, especially in an old set. We use wood racks. If you jam the balls up in the rack, and the one in the front position still can rattle, change to another ball or turn the rack and try again.

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
vapros said:
My own preference, when I break, is to have two contrasting colors in the aiming positions - such as the 1 and the 8 or the 6 and the 5, and I don't care which one is in front. I don't like a stripe in front. Lenny has the right idea.

Sometimes there is this problem - the front ball won't snug up in the rack. It seems to be usually a solid color, probably due to the extra use in 9 ball games, especially in an old set. We use wood racks. If you jam the balls up in the rack, and the one in the front position still can rattle, change to another ball or turn the rack and try again.

That's a new one on me. Thanks, vapros.
It's like the time I asked the Dentist if a person with only one tooth still had to brush for 10 minutes. He said not necessarily, and gave me a funny look. :)

John Brumback

Verified Member
So It aint gonna work cause everyone does it different.That's why i think there needs to be a rule about this.Everybody's got their own little reasons.

Ok,so what about the number pointing up when you spot the ball?What about that one?
I don't care who makes the rules just so somebody makes some.I want the one well i want the 3 well I want... don't put that 8ball up there..are you pulling a move on me.on and on.See there needs to be a rule.Seems pretty simple to me.And on top of that I'm colored blind.lol Well whatever,just thought I would throw this out and see.I would just like to get rid of everything little thing that some people try to make moves and sharking out of.I guess If we play rack your own,then It won't matter.John B.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
My favorite Break rule option is that you rack for yourself but your opponent picks which pocket you shoot at. (supposed to eliminate biased racks)

Dud

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John Brumback said:
I brought this up with Ken Shuman while I was at the us open.I've been thinking about this for along time.You know when your racking the balls for one pocket and some people think your pulling a move when you put a certain
colored ball In the front?(nobody likes the 8ball there) Well my Idea and the one I mentioned to the reffs out there were why don't they just have a rule that It has to be a stripe or some color that doesn't seem to bother anyone In the front.Like maybe the oneball? What do ya'll think about that? Ken said he thought It was a good Idea but he may have forgotten It by now.I think It's a great Idea.Just have a
Hold on,
One more..When spotting a ball I think It should be a rule that the number on the ball must point straight up.Man I have seen to many people set the number on the ball right where you have to hit It.Ya know,just a small shark.I know these seem nitpicky but why not just have the rule set? Seems pretty simple to me.Nitpicky John B.

We pretty much play rack your own anymore, so out here it is not a problem.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
John Brumback said:
So It aint gonna work cause everyone does it different.That's why i think there needs to be a rule about this.Everybody's got their own little reasons.

Ok,so what about the number pointing up when you spot the ball?What about that one?
I don't care who makes the rules just so somebody makes some.I want the one well i want the 3 well I want... don't put that 8ball up there..are you pulling a move on me.on and on.See there needs to be a rule.Seems pretty simple to me.And on top of that I'm colored blind.lol Well whatever,just thought I would throw this out and see.I would just like to get rid of everything little thing that some people try to make moves and sharking out of.I guess If we play rack your own,then It won't matter.John B.

Toughen up Dude, you're a pro.:D
Rod.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
rack your own

rack your own

I dont know why the tournaments doesnt play rack your own. the non breaking player can inspect the rack and if there is a problem can ask for a rerack. It seems to be such a simple solution.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
T Steamer, a person with one tooth, you say? Being the limerick nut that I am, the idea has moved me to create:

A practice considered uncouth
was pursued by a girl with one tooth,
But she got it entangled
and left me all mangled.
Neither one of uth knew it wath looth.

mosconiac

Verified Member
Seems reasonable that the game of 1P would have racking rules just as the other games do. 8B, 14.1, 9B all have rules. why not, 1P?

In 14.1 the 1B & 5B are placed on the lower corners to aid sighting the break. 1P could use them & the 3B as the top triangle.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3CBJm4DCpe4EBik3FChe4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe3JFSe4KEMO3LBKO3MDvO4NFSd3OCQB1PXFV@[/CUETABLE]

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Ironic

Ironic

Im hip to the rules,we gotta have a code even for us outlaws.Im just slightly amused as its our original aversion to rules that brought us here.That is to say Im strictly speaking for myself and .............

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mosconiac said:
Seems reasonable that the game of 1P would have racking rules just as the other games do. 8B, 14.1, 9B all have rules. why not, 1P?

In 14.1 the 1B & 5B are placed on the lower corners to aid sighting the break. 1P could use them & the 3B as the top triangle.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3CBJm4DCpe4EBik3FChe4GBjO4HAMA4IAEe3JFSe4KEMO3LBKO3MDvO4NFSd3OCQB1PXFV@[/CUETABLE]

When someone is racking for me, I aiways request the three, or the six or seven ball next to the one. Never a stripe (especially the 9 ball) A sharp deleniation between the two balls, is very important (to me) to make a good hit on the break. (I may even demand "numbers up", and hope they get pissed...:D

Of course in "rack your own", I manage to do that myself...Its not an edge, its just common sense...:cool:

Weatherman

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, Ga.
Notice I said "MR. Brumback" lol

Notice I said "MR. Brumback" lol

John Brumback said:
Hold on,

If you're concerned with which balls go where?? (with the exception of you...MR. again, notice I said MR!!!! BRUMBACK) YOU'VE got ACTION! We can use 15 eight balls for all I care.

I mean seriously. Do 9 ball players miss the 8 ball because it's black.. or the 9 because it's a stripe?

having said that... out of courtesy and a little ADD. I always rack the balls, for myself or my opponent like this...

1 in front, 10 and 12 next and the 9 and 11 as the 2 back corner balls.

ok, maybe more than a little ADD. (Grin)

senor

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Hold on,

Mild sharking was usually allowed and appreciated when I played ;)

I know what you're talking about and eventually got to the point where I would usually ask my opponent if they have a preference for the break balls (I played one guy pretty regularly who like the 1 and the 8 together) and I would always spot the balls with the numbers pointed up. That way, when you ask for a rack a certain way, you can always say that you've been doing the same for him. As for the ball spotting and the numbers pointed up, that never made a difference to me. I know different players aim differently, so I can see how it could bother some.

As for making a rule about these things, I think whoever is in charge of these rules should expect those playing the game and using their rules to conduct themselves in a way to offer common courtesy to their opponents and rack the balls how they like them, spot bright colored balls and maybe even point the numbers up on spotted balls. Of course it takes an experienced one pocket player to recognize all of these potential player idiosyncrasies. We're a fickle bunch ;)

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
What was the

What was the

vote? I can't figure It out.Sounds like rack your own to me Is the way to go.
About spotting the number up and down,I'm talking about when you are just spotting A ball on the spot.That's how I do It anyway.Oh and another thing I noticed on a tape the other day of me playing Efren.I shot a ball In the pocket to play safe and he grabbed some other ball and spotted It,then one of the commentaters sp? said that I could make him spot the ball I shot In If I wanted to.I didn't think anything about It at the time.I'm colored blind and have never really cared about which color ball I'm shooting at anyway.
John the rules guy B.haha

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
John Brumback said:
vote? I can't figure It out.Sounds like rack your own to me Is the way to go.
About spotting the number up and down,I'm talking about when you are just spotting A ball on the spot.That's how I do It anyway.Oh and another thing I noticed on a tape the other day of me playing Efren.I shot a ball In the pocket to play safe and he grabbed some other ball and spotted It,then one of the commentaters sp? said that I could make him spot the ball I shot In If I wanted to.I didn't think anything about It at the time.I'm colored blind and have never really cared about which color ball I'm shooting at anyway.
John the rules guy B.haha

Skipper, I always spot a ball with the # up as a courtesy. It doesn't matter how they spot it for me.
Ask your opponent what ball he'd like up front, Then put it in the middle of the pack. :D
Rod
PS. You have on one blue and one black sock. I'll bet you have another pair just like them in your sock drawer. :)