Howz about some shooting for a change?

Skin

Verified Member
We get a lot of great move-and-safe problems around here, but sometimes you have to shoot. And getting out when you get the chance to shoot depends a lot on your pattern skills.

So, here's a simple problem to start with. Maybe we can get more complicated ones in the future.

You need them all. How are you going to get them into pocket A?

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
We get a lot of great move-and-safe problems around here, but sometimes you have to shoot. And getting out when you get the chance to shoot depends a lot on your pattern skills.

So, here's a simple problem to start with. Maybe we can get more complicated ones in the future.

Skin

My first shot would be to make the 9 and attempt position on the 6. I am surprised I remember how to WEI, it's been a long time.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs4dKSi4dcpp3kIdn4kHhe4kGrm3kaoe3kWln@[/CUETABLE]

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I would have to go 9=2=1 and try to get a shot to roll in the one with a natural ball two rails to the six

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I would try something like this: 9/1/6/2.

[CueTable]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs3kIdn4kHxh4kPdE4kPnP4kDQm3kYaO3kQqk4kWFP4kbQC@[/CueTable]

Dave

bstroud

Verified Member
Running balls in one pocket is simple but you need to know the priority of shot selection.

First, play position on any balls blocking other balls.

Second, try to get position on balls that are on the rail. It may take several attempts.

Lastly play position for balls out in the open.

In the example shown:

Shoot in the nine and play position for the two ball. Make the two ball and play position on the one ball leaving the proper angle so you can go to the end rail for position on the six ball.

Bill Stroud

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
12squared said:

[CueTable]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs3kIdn4kHxh4kPdE4kPnP4kDQm3kYaO3kQqk4kWFP4kbQC@[/CueTable]

Dave

Dave; Exactly how a billiard player would run out here, use the natural angle starting with the 9, 2 rails to 6 and so on! 100% correct.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'm with RBL on this...9,6,1,2 (or 2,1) Shape on the 6, drawing off the 9, looks very doable and natural to me...You cannot go wrong...If the 6 hooks you on the 1, (your escape valve, if you miss shape on the 6)..that would mean you are straight in on the 6...:)....Ray Charles could then easily get the 1 and 2.

PS...If you take the 1 ball, for your next ball after the 9...you have just shot in your safety valve, and you had better get good on the 6, off the 1 then, or the odds of NOT getting all 4 balls, have increased substantially...JMHO..:cool:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
12squared said:

Dave
First of all you would have to shoot the 1 ball stretched out over the table to reach it. Second, if you hit the bottom of the 6 with the cueball after you shoot the 1 ball your inning will be over. That's why getting on the 6 at the first opportunity is important, if you attempt it and fail you still have the 1 to shoot. Keeping balls between the cueball & pocket is always a good strategy.

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs3kIdn4kHxh4kPdE4kPnP4kDQm3kYaO3kQqk4kWFP8kbQCzc@[/CUETABLE]

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
If you were to pose this question to any of the high one pocket ball runners (Scott, Alex, etc) it would be unaminous (shape on the 6 off the 9)...I admit intermediate players may lack the touch to execute it comfortably...only you know your capability... maybe it would be best for you too cinch all the balls you can get.

PS..Now I'm confused....Are we playing billiards, staight pool, or one pocket ???

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bstroud said:
Running balls in one pocket is simple but you need to know the priority of shot selection.

Second, try to get position on balls that are on the rail. It may take several attempts.

In the example shown:

Shoot in the nine and play position for the two ball. Make the two ball and play position on the one ball leaving the proper angle so you can go to the end rail for position on the six ball.

Bill Stroud
Bill,

That is an excellent 14.1 strategy but it does not apply to one-pocket.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Skin said:

Skin

For me..9,2,1,6 John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Absolutely!

Absolutely!

bstroud said:

In the example shown:

Bill Stroud

Sorry, I put up the wrong goddamned sequence. Its 9,2,1,6. Everyone should have noted that I agreed with B Stroud and his selection of 9,2,1,6!

If a New York straight pool player went for the 6 ball first, the East Coast Straight Pool society would make him eat California pizza for a year. With the pineapple topping.
The above reasoning is rock solid. Especially for one pocket.
1.First, play position on any balls blocking other balls. You need to open up the lanes to shoot the other balls in.
2.Second, try to get position on balls that are on the rail.
Why? Very simple answer. YOU CAN ONLY GET ON ONE SIDE OF A BALL FOR POSITION WHEN IT IS ON THE RAIL. (If you get straight in on a ball that is on the rail you can only stop and hope you have another shot, draw it back and scratch in the pocket, or follow forward and scratch in the pocket you shot the ball in.
3.Lastly play position for balls out in the open. Why? Because unlike the above 2nd reason, if the ball is out in the open, as is the 1 ball here, you can use all 3 sides of the shot to get position.

Plus, in this situation if you choose the 9,2,1 path you are a Hungarian lock to get at least 3 balls and get to the hill and with zero pressure to do it. If you bump funny into the six you might only end up with one.

Beard

Last edited:

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
It depends on how far the 9 is off the rail. To me the c/b is on a collision path with the 6. In that case I'd choose 9-2-1-6.

Rod

Skin

Verified Member
That was an actual game situation recently. I played it 9-6-2-1. I was a little worried about getting flat on the 6, but I wound up with a good angle.

This scenario points out a couple of general guidelines I follow when shooting.

1. If I shoot the ball closest to the hole I will try to get up behind the farthest ball away, provided shooting lanes are open, and work my way back down.

2. The sooner I can get behind balls that go to my hole on his side, again provided shooting lanes are open, the more I tend to get during the run. Getting behind those balls is critical, IMO.

This was an easy runout pattern to figure out. Next up, something harder...:D

Skin

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
The above reasoning is rock solid. Especially for one pocket. These general guidelines must be applied to each specific layout, they do not apply in this case, at least not in my mind.

1.First, play position on any balls blocking other balls. You need to open up the lanes to shoot the other balls in.There are no balls blocking other balls path to the pocket so this rule is negated.

2.Second, try to get position on balls that are on the rail.
Why? Very simple answer. YOU CAN ONLY GET ON ONE SIDE OF A BALL FOR POSITION WHEN IT IS ON THE RAIL. (If you get straight in on a ball that is on the rail you can only stopShooting the 2 ball last negates this rule. and hope you have another shot, draw it back and scratch in the pocket, or follow forward and scratch in the pocket you shot the ball in.

3.Lastly play position for balls out in the open.That leaves the 1 & 6 to shoot next (after the 9). If you miss shapes on the 6 99 times out of 100 you will get a shot at the 1, hence you get a "free" chance to get on the 6 ball. Why? Because unlike the above #2, if the ball is out in the open, as is the 2 ball here, you can use all 3 sides of the shot to get position.

Plus, in this situation if you choose the 9,1,2 path you are a Hungarian lock to get at least 3 balls and get to the hill and with zero pressure to do it. If you bump funny into the six you might only end up with one.

Beard
Fred,

By my calculations there is a %50 chance that you are serious with your post but there's only a %20 chance of that:confused: . On the remote chance that you are serious I've taken the time to explain my thinking here for this layout.

With certain exceptions I usually try to keep as many balls between the cueball and my pocket as is reasonably possible. I like to get "above" or "behind" the furthest balls and work my way in, but all layouts are different and must all be considered anew when they arise.

Here are some of the things that can go wrong if you hit the 6 while trying to get on it. All of them lead to a shot on the 1 ball at least, not a great shot but at least you take a free shot at getting on the 6.

Dennis

[CUETABLE]http://pool.bz/P/?@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs3aPDw2aagN2aYBm4dKSi4ddGr3kIdn4kHxe4kHAk3kOON3kaIi@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs4dKSi4dcxt3kIdn4kHxf4kHIl3kMax2kPmg@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDw4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs3aPDw3aUKL4dKSi4dcxt3kIdn4kHxf4kHYl3kMiq2kapa2kPvn@4AQtf4BbQR3FPDv4IKSi3PIdn4QdGs3aPDv2adhH4dKSi4dchq3kIdn4kHhf4kGrj3kNAG3kMBl3qSdwTHE_POSSIBILITY_OF_THIS_HAPPENING_IS_ALSO_OUT_THERE.&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

bernie p

Verified Member
It's interesting to see the differing opinion here, but hey....that's what makes the game so great.

For me, this is a no brainer shooting the 9-2-1-6 because the shape from the 9 to the 2 is simply center ball for natural shape on the 2.

From there with the 2 to the 1, it is relatively easy to leave an angle for the 1 to the 6 (on either side of the 1), and only if I end up dead straight on the 1 do I have difficulty getting an opportunity for shape on the 6.

Conversely, the shot to go from the 9 to the 6 requires a very accurate hit with a minimum window. Granted if I hit it bad I have my 1 and 2 insurance balls...... but there is also a possibility that I might inadvertently bump the 6 to the side rail while coming from the 9.:eek:

Why take the chance?

Bernie.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
bernie p said:
It's interesting to see the differing opinion here, but hey....that's what makes the game so great.

For me, this is a no brainer shooting the 9-2-1-6 because the shape from the 9 to the 2 is simply center ball for natural shape on the 2.

From there with the 2 to the 1, it is relatively easy to leave an angle for the 1 to the 6 (on either side of the 1), and only if I end up dead straight on the 1 do I have difficulty getting an opportunity for shape on the 6.

Conversely, the shot to go from the 9 to the 6 requires a very accurate hit with a minimum window. Granted if I hit it bad I have my 1 and 2 insurance balls...... but there is also a possibility that I might inadvertently bump the 6 to the side rail while coming from the 9.:eek:

Why take the chance?

Bernie.

I once heard somebody say "Shoot your easy shots first, that way you don't have no hard shots".

John Brumback

Verified Member
bernie p said:

Why take the chance?

Bernie.

Thanks Bernie P,only way to play It.haha Sort of a straight pool run.John B.