How good was Mike Carella

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
I moved some of the recent posts from this thread into the Member's Cafe.

May I remind you all:
Try to keep in mind that here at OnePocket.org we are all on the same team – even if sometimes we seem to be pulling in opposite directions.

Just a few simple hot buttons to avoid:

1. Name-calling -- there's no need to get personal
  2. Politics, race and gender -- it's a free country, not a red, blue or green one
  3. Please do not try to drive any members away -- we want more active members, not less
  4. And finally, respect copyright -- don't steal stuff from OnePocket.org or post stolen stuff here
If you get hit with a low blow, please do not follow-up by stooping to their level. Challenges on a real table are encouraged, however. See the Official OnePocket.org challenge thread.

You have a right to disagree, but they have the same right to disagree. Once you have made your point clearly and they still disagree, please do not keep hammering. They can shoot the wrong shot, for the wrong reasons, at the wrong speed and the wrong time, or even the wrong pocket if they want to – just think of it as money in your bank. You do not need to respect their opinion, but you do need to respect their right to their opinion.

Whether they are a beginner, a shortstop, a winner, a loser, a railbird or a pro, they are welcome here, and their opinions are welcome here. Of course some ideas are better than others – but cream can’t rise to the top as long as it’s being stirred up. Make your point and give it a rest. Do not fret if your opinion is ignored. The most profound truths are the most likely to sail over people’s heads, yet everyone catches the easy stuff.

If not for any other reason in life, here we can still respect the fact that we are all genuinely interested in the game of One Pocket; that is our common ground. We want to encourage more One Pocket. We do not want to discourage any players, sweaters or lurkers, or drive away anyone that is already a One Pocket player or fan.

If you post here on OnePocket.org, that makes you an ambassador of our game around the world. Please make an effort to set an example that will attract more players.

Stay light, stay loose, wei in, post up, post often and post here, and may your enjoyment of the game grow in leaps and bounds.

...and I should add -- attempts to drive ANY posters away from OnePocket.org is another no-no.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Some of the golfers that played on that table from Congress included Bob Osborne and Carlos Hallon and those 2 could really play golf. Well consensus is that Mike was by far the best golf player. From what im hearing I dont think SJD could of beaten Mike when he hit 25...but who knows

Could be mistaken but I think the Bob Osborne that you mention could have been Bob Ogborn, originally from lower Virginia? A very good 1P and money player that did do a lot of traveling

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Could be mistaken but I think the Bob Osborne that you mention could have been Bob Ogborn, originally from lower Virginia? A very good 1P and money player that did do a lot of traveling

Yeah i might have his last name spelled wrong but i have seen his named spelled all different ways. They used to call him Black Bart. Great player

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Yeah i might have his last name spelled wrong but i have seen his named spelled all different ways. They used to call him Black Bart. Great player

yes sir, that's him

you're an excellent player for sure, but maybe push for a little more civility in your posts

just a suggestion

and welcome ....

onepockethacker

Verified Member
yes sir, that's him

you're an excellent player for sure, but maybe push for a little more civility in your posts

just a suggestion

and welcome ....

Im an ok player. Couldnt of beat Bob in his prime. I was playing my best 9 ball 10 years ago and I gave Bob the 8 and i beat him for $ 2000. When he was in his prime he was a way better player than me. I dont love to play the game like i think guys like Bob did. I will take your suggestion. Thank you.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
It is a shame we do not have any video of Mike Carella, Ronnie Allen and San Jose Dick among others in their prime, that would be something. Imagine a live feed of the 7-11 circa 1957 or just some good video of action in there watching Jack Breit or Johnny Ervolino robbing people. These days we are so very lucky to have the video we do of someone like Efren and the shots he has made because people would not believe it and seeing it is believing. It is much better than hearing stories that get a little taller as years go by or looking at a diagram of the layout but beggars cant be choosers so keep the stories coming. :)

onepockethacker

Verified Member
It is a shame we do not have any video of Mike Carella, Ronnie Allen and San Jose Dick among others in their prime, that would be something. Imagine a live feed of the 7-11 circa 1957 or just some good video of action in there watching Jack Breit or Johnny Ervolino robbing people. These days we are so very lucky to have the video we do of someone like Efren and the shots he has made because people would not believe it and seeing it is believing. It is much better than hearing stories that get a little taller as years go by or looking at a diagram of the layout but beggars cant be choosers so keep the stories coming. :)

Yeah amen on that. We were born in the wrong ERA for pool as far as gambling and the nostalgia.

beatle

Verified Member
ervolino only robbed people by dumping them. mostly those that befriended him. the only thing he did on the square was lose.

mike c. played real good and few tangled with him unless they had a backer and didnt care. i dont know how good he was but he seemed to never miss any shots when i saw him in miami at congress. freddie wouldnt know he was always sleeping:)

breitkoff mostly played on the 5 by ten and no one could beat him there.
on the smaller table he was in with the rest of the pack of great one pocket players.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Yeah amen on that. We were born in the wrong ERA for pool as far as gambling and the nostalgia.
Maybe that is what makes it so nostalgic and mythical too is that there is nothing but pictures and stories, if we had the videos it might lose some of that mystique it holds. Perhaps the action and level of play is the same but the faces have just changed, hustling and being under the radar is near extinct because of cell phones and internet. I was told to enjoy and watch as much as I can the best players today as its what we have.

With technology these days and everyone able to post video, if you pick your nose or fart during a match its posted online. Technology and pool is a double edged sword, good for the masses who love pool but not so kind to the player trying to rob under the radar, but it is here to stay and I believe will help the game and players more than hurt them in the long run. I am still waiting for someone to play like a hack on one of the streams and trap someone later because of it and take down a big score, maybe it has already happened and we have not heard of it.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
ervolino only robbed people by dumping them. mostly those that befriended him. the only thing he did on the square was lose.

mike c. played real good and few tangled with him unless they had a backer and didnt care. i dont know how good he was but he seemed to never miss any shots when i saw him in miami at congress. freddie wouldnt know he was always sleeping:)

on the smaller table he was in with the rest of the pack of great one pocket players.
I have heard that about Ervolino, being from NY I heard things from people who knew him. Some respected his hustle and survival skills and on the other hand others talked of him like he was a POS. Many people admire hustling and the romanticism of it all in the movies like TCOM and The Hustler but when they do get hustled it is another story.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Created a monster

Created a monster

Freddie, you can count on one hand the players that could of beaten Carella playing one pocket when Mike was playing his best. Three finger Ronnie would have a more accurate count.

Billy I.

I created a monster when I told you how to use text bar.:frus

Beard

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I have heard that about Ervolino, being from NY I heard things from people who knew him. Some respected his hustle and survival skills and on the other hand others talked of him like he was a POS. Many people admire hustling and the romanticism of it all in the movies like TCOM and The Hustler but when they do get hustled it is another story.

Like him or hate him Ervolino could play every game GREAT.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
A special kind of sleep

A special kind of sleep

I did like to sleep under the tables. It is cathartic. Like sleeping inside one of those plastic pyramids. You go into a trance-like state. Under a snooker table with the thick slates is even better.

You shoulda mentioned that Breitkoff is actually Jersey Red.

Beard

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I did like to sleep under the tables. It is cathartic. Like sleeping inside one of those plastic pyramids. You go into a trance-like state. Under a snooker table with the thick slates is even better.

You shoulda mentioned that Breitkoff is actually Jersey Red.

Beard

Since Ervolino came up. In the late 90's (97, 98, 99, and 2000) At the finally florida tour event of the year they ran a one pocket event. Steve Mizerak, Steve Cook, Danny Diliberto, Buddy Hall, Dick Weaver, John Ditoro, Slim Carney, as well as a shit load of other really good players. Ervolino won it all 4 years.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Since Ervolino came up. In the late 90's (97, 98, 99, and 2000) At the finally florida tour event of the year they ran a one pocket event. Steve Mizerak, Steve Cook, Danny Diliberto, Buddy Hall, Dick Weaver, John Ditoro, Slim Carney, as well as a shit load of other really good players. Ervolino won it all 4 years.
That is strong, he must have been in his late 60s early 70s I am guessing then. :eek:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
We played an 8 ahead 9 ball match in 2002 for $ 2000. I won.

OPH,

In researching your posts, since you joined the forum.. I can't find any posts, where you admitted losing...TO ANYBODY..:rolleyes:

Let me suggest just a touch of humility...as you are a little [sic] younger than Fred...Plus, he has earned the right brag..(well, lets just say, I'm starting to think we are both entitled).:eek:

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
OPH,

In researching your posts, since you joined the forum.. I can't find any posts, where you admitted losing...TO ANYBODY..:rolleyes:

Let me suggest just a touch of humility...as you are a little [sic] younger than Fred...Plus, he has earned the right brag..(well, lets just say he thinks he is entitled).:eek:

I have lost to plenty of people but lately my record is pretty good :D I leave the bragging to you and freddy you guys have more than enough for every pool forum on the internet. By the way I lost to someone at the Derby this year. The guy asked me what i thought of Slim Carneys game. I told him we played and i won. If you were me you would tell the guy how great Slim Carney is and oh yeah by the way you beat him. Thats bragging and thats what you and freddy are masters of. I lost a big set to john Hager abiut a year and half ago. Brandon Shuff beat me a set.
The best part of you saying this to me is you just got done telling me you are the greatest authority on the game of Golf period nobody is close and oh yeah you gave Carella the break and first shot( i saw the responses you got for that boast, nobody believed you.)
P.S from now on when you start your pool stories say once upon a time.....

Last edited: