The Hound's last hurrah

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Hungry Hound, aka, Riley "Jet Johnson," my pal, my protege, and Chicago bank pool legend, passed away last night in a nursing home. It ended a long battle with lung cancer that spread to the spine. Jet was 54 years old. Badly sick and bedridden the last few months, he nonetheless never gave up and still talked about getting well and beating people again.

He had the heart of a lion, feared no one and respected those that warranted respect.
Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. You can bet your ass that I will do a eulogy at my friend's wake.

Beard

Attachments

• scan0001 (600 x 440).jpg
    scan0001 (600 x 440).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The Hungry Hound, aka, Riley "Jet Johnson," my pal, my protege, and Chicago bank pool legend, passed away last night in a nursing home. It ended a long battle with lung cancer that spread to the spine. Jet was 54 years old. Badly sick and bedridden the last few months, he nonetheless never gave up and still talked about getting well and beating people again.

He had the heart of a lion, feared no one and respected those that warranted respect.
Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. You can bet your ass that I will do a eulogy for my friend.

Beard

Sad news - another guy from our clan leaves us...I liked Jet a lot - he was good people...

But I'm not going to say rest in peace Jet...I'd rather say - don't rest yet Jet, and I know you won't want to, you like being in action too much - instead, get into some intense bank action with Bugs, Gary Spaeth, Youngblood, and Eddie Taylor...and if Charlie Green wants to get in on it, you guys are supposed to give him a ball - but knowing Charlie's ego like I do, he probably won't take it...;)

See ya down the road Jet, Ghost

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
That's very sad news. Freddy, please get a hold of me if anyone could gather some pics and video, I would be honored to put together a nice slideshow tribute if given a opportunity to do so.

He seemed to have the respect of everyone that knew him and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the guy.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Here's a pic of him (sorry for the quality, internet stream) of him right after winning the 2010 Derby City Classic Bank Ring Game, taking down 9 grand. Please also visit this link for some more photos of him at the event, courtesy of Steve Booth.

http://onepocket.smugmug.com/search/?searchWords=jet&searchType=InUser&NickName=onepocket&x=0&y=0
jet johnson.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. You can bet your ass that I will do a eulogy at my friend's wake.

Beard

Condolences on the loss of your friend Freddy, may he rest in peace.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
my condolences go to the family of jet
to freddy im sorry to hear of the passing of your good friend who it seems you treated like family
RIP

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Beard

Freddy,

Saddened to hear of the loss of your good friend, Jet..He sure sounds like a guy I would love to have known...I am sure you will give him the send off he deserves. RIP Jet, should be lots of action up there for you.

SJD

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Jet was fun to be around, he was a player that played hard and well and he will be missed. My condolences go out to his family and all that knew him well, R.I.P. Jet.

Bill Incardona

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Maybe Steve can make a page for Jet here on 1p.org like the other players who's passed?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is really sad to read. It seemed like just as he was coming in to his top game, the big C came calling.

I will always remember his obvious joy winning the Derby City ring game a couple years ago.

hitnandpikn

Verified Member
This is really sad to read. It seemed like just as he was coming in to his top game, the big C came calling.

I will always remember his obvious joy winning the Derby City ring game a couple years ago.

Red Shoes has a big void to fill. Jet was such a piece of the fabric that is Red Shoes, he will be greatly missed. Witnessing him at the Derby Ring Game was the most enjoyable pool sweating I have ever had. You could just tell how much it meant to him and the others that called him friend.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Sorry for the loss of your friend Freddie. Seems like the Big C is rampant amoung the pool community. Living in smoke filled rooms? Damn shame. I'm leaving in the am to see Grady.

Later my friend, Pel

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Secret Society

The Secret Society

One of the worst things about the passing of Jet is the fact that he was, IMHO, the last real pool hustler in Chicago.

I have formulated my own little Secret Society of Hustlers based on people that I knew and who qualified for admission under special criteria. Its an exclusive club and the only requirement to get in is to be accepted and acknowledged by the other members. Who likes who, and who hates who, and who can beat who, play no role in being accepted.

Morality, character, ethics, talent, pool speed, gamble, and personal appearance count for zero. The ones that are in know that they belong, and also know who doesnt belong -- usually unanimously.

Unfortunately, members are dropping like flies, with no new replacements in sight. Among them lately were, Pancho, Billy Johnson, and Jet. Now it looks like Charter member, Grady Mathew is apparently headed out soon.

For posterity's sake I have put together, off the top of my head, a list of Club members. Of course there are many more that belong that arent on this list. As my memory is limited, this is not an all encompassing list, but there are many that arent on there that some might think belong. They would be wrong in thinking that.

Club benefits include: lifetime bites, a place to stay, good dukes and steers, a minimum of knocking, elevated backer access, and an automatic seat at all Jackpot sessions. Plus members usually root for other members when they are playing non-members.

Artie Bodendorfer Chicago
Baby Face Whitlow Detroit gone
Barbara Cooney California
Berle Gabbard Corbin Ky
Bill Incardona Pittsburg
Billy Smith Chicago
Brooklyn Butch Fragone NY
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas NY
Brooklyn Pancho NY gone
Buddy Hall KY
Bugs Rucker Chicago gone
Clare/ 4 yrs with Jimmy Reid Pittsburg
Clem Metz Pittsburg
Cliff Joyner No Car
Clyde Childress KY gone
Cornbread Red Ky gone
Cuban Joe Cuba gone
Dale Smith Tx
Danny DiLiberto Buffalo, NY
Danny Jones Atlanta, Ga gone
Detroit Whitey Michigan ?
Ed Pucharski Cannonball Ed NY ?
Eddie Taylor Tenn gone
Freddy Bentivegna Chicago
Geece Gerace CA gone
Gene Skinner Fullerton, Ca gone
Grady Mathews CA
Greg Sullivan Louisville, KY
Hubert Cokes Evansville, IN gone
Jack Cooney San Fran
Jersey Red NY gone
Jet Johnson Chicago gone
Jimmy Reid West Palm fla
Joey Speith Cinncinnati gone
John Chapman Cannonball TX gone
John Hager Sr Tex
John Popcorn Miller CA
Johnny Irvolino Brooklyn gone
Jose Parica Philipines
Junior Goff Fla
Keith McReady Ca
Larry Liscotti Conn. gone
Lori Shampo Detroit gone
Luther Lassiter No Car gone
Mexican Johnny Vasquez Tex gone
Michigan City Sam Langford Indiana
Mickey Carpinelli Port Chester NY gone
Mike LeBron Phila
Minnesota Fats Ny gone
One Eyed Tony Corbin Ky gone
Peter Rabbit Linhardt Phila gone
Piggy Banks Rogers Chicago
Pittsburg John Pitt
Ray Booth Fla ?
Ray Maples Atlanta, Ga gone
Richie Ambrose Ny
Ronnie Allen OK
Ronnie Sypher Maryland
Sammy Eubank Little Rock, Ar
Scott Frost Ariz
Shannon Daulton Ky
Sid Heard Corbin/Hazard Ky ?
Sugar shack Johnny Novak Conn
Tony Coleman Benton Harbor MI
Truman Hogue Ky
Wade Crane Ga gone

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One of the worst things about the passing of Jet is the fact that he was, IMHO, the last real pool hustler in Chicago.

I have formulated my own little Secret Society of Hustlers based on people that I knew and who qualified for admission under special criteria. Its an exclusive club and the only requirement to get in is to be accepted and acknowledged by the other members. Who likes who, and who hates who, and who can beat who, play no role in being accepted.

Morality, character, ethics, talent, pool speed, gamble, and personal appearance count for zero. The ones that are in know that they belong, and also know who doesnt belong -- usually unanimously.

Unfortunately, members are dropping like flies, with no new replacements in sight. Among them lately were, Pancho, Billy Johnson, and Jet. Now it looks like Charter member, Grady Mathew is apparently headed out soon.

For posterity's sake I have put together, off the top of my head, a list of Club members. Of course there are many more that belong that arent on this list. As my memory is limited, this is not an all encompassing list, but there are many that arent on there that some might think belong. They would be wrong in thinking that.

Club benefits include: lifetime bites, a place to stay, good dukes and steers, a minimum of knocking, elevated backer access, and an automatic seat at all Jackpot sessions. Plus members usually root for other members when they are playing non-members.

Artie Bodendorfer Chicago
Baby Face Whitlow Detroit gone
Barbara Cooney California
Berle Gabbard Corbin Ky
Bill Incardona Pittsburg
Billy Smith Chicago
Brooklyn Butch Fragone NY
Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas NY
Brooklyn Pancho NY gone
Buddy Hall KY
Bugs Rucker Chicago gone
Clare/ 4 yrs with Jimmy Reid Pittsburg
Clem Metz Pittsburg
Cliff Joyner No Car
Clyde Childress KY gone
Cornbread Red Ky gone
Cuban Joe Cuba gone
Dale Smith Tx
Danny DiLiberto Buffalo, NY
Danny Jones Atlanta, Ga gone
Detroit Whitey Michigan ?
Ed Pucharski Cannonball Ed NY ?
Eddie Taylor Tenn gone
Freddy Bentivegna Chicago
Geece Gerace CA gone
Gene Skinner Fullerton, Ca gone
Grady Mathews CA
Greg Sullivan Louisville, KY
Hubert Cokes Evansville, IN gone
Jack Cooney San Fran
Jersey Red NY gone
Jet Johnson Chicago gone
Jimmy Reid West Palm fla
Joey Speith Cinncinnati gone
John Chapman Cannonball TX gone
John Hager Sr Tex
John Popcorn Miller CA
Johnny Irvolino Brooklyn gone
Jose Parica Philipines
Junior Goff Fla
Keith McReady Ca
Larry Liscotti Conn. gone
Lori Shampo Detroit gone
Luther Lassiter No Car gone
Mexican Johnny Vasquez Tex gone
Michigan City Sam Langford Indiana
Mickey Carpinelli Port Chester NY gone
Mike LeBron Phila
Minnesota Fats Ny gone
One Eyed Tony Corbin Ky gone
Peter Rabbit Linhardt Phila gone
Piggy Banks Rogers Chicago
Pittsburg John Pitt
Ray Booth Fla ?
Ray Maples Atlanta, Ga gone
Richie Ambrose Ny
Ronnie Allen OK
Ronnie Sypher Maryland
Sammy Eubank Little Rock, Ar
Scott Frost Ariz
Shannon Daulton Ky
Sid Heard Corbin/Hazard Ky ?
Sugar shack Johnny Novak Conn
Tony Coleman Benton Harbor MI
Truman Hogue Ky
Wade Crane Ga gone

Freddy, I have no problem with anyone on your 'secret society' list,,,But how can you leave out your hero "Fats" (gone) and Richie Florence, (gone) who, by the way, had more gamble and played better than 90% of the guys on your list. :confused:

Please elaborate, cause I don't think I'm wrong..I know you couldn't remember everybody, but there are several glaring omissions..Thank you...:eek:

PS..What about Flyboy and Richie Austin too ?

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Esoteric criteria

Esoteric criteria

Freddy, I have no problem with anyone on your 'secret society' list,,,But how can you leave out your hero "Fats" (gone) and Richie Florence, (gone) who, by the way, had more gamble and played better than 90% of the guys on your list. :confused:

Please elaborate, cause I don't think I'm wrong..I know you couldn't remember everybody, but there are several glaring omissions..Thank you...:eek:

A., I didnt leave Fats out. Check again. B., Richie Florence was not a hustler. Richie was a "Sport,"and pool playboy. He had game and gamble like you said, but probably too much of each to be a hustler. Most of the things that were required to be a hustler were intrinsically abhorrent to him -- as you well know, because you and he are a matching set. No knocks against you or him, of course.
Check my requirements again. I said game and gamble had nothing to do with admission.
Flyboy? Of course. Richie Austin? Didnt know him at all, but what I have heard would certainly qualify him.

Beard

If you would 'fess up to a coupla dumps, sluff offs, or double steers, I might reconsider.

A., I didnt leave Fats out. Check again. B., Richie Florence was not a hustler. Richie was a "Sport,"and pool playboy. He had game and gamble like you said, but probably too much of each to be a hustler. Most of the things that were required to be a hustler were intrinsically abhorrent to him -- as you well know, because you and he are a matching set. No knocks against you or him, of course.
Check my requirements again. I said game and gamble had nothing to do with admission.
Flyboy? Of course. Richie Austin? Didnt know him at all, but what I have heard would certainly qualify him.

Beard

If you would 'fess up to a coupla dumps, sluff offs, or double steers, I might reconsider.

Freddy, you completely crack me up. Just one little thing: Pittsburgh, PA is spelled with an "h" at the end. Pittsburg with no "h" is in the state of CA I think. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I'm from the West Coast. :sorry:lol

Deeman

Verified Member

Dick,

Richard Austin, that brings back some memories and a few nervous nights as well. Richie had as much gamble as anyone, maybe a bit too much!

DeeMan

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana

Beard

You left out VERNON ELLIOTT, TONY FARGO, AND HELL , a few more.