The Hound's last hurrah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hound's last hurrah

The Hungry Hound, aka, Riley "Jet Johnson," my pal, my protege, and Chicago bank pool legend, passed away last night in a nursing home. It ended a long battle with lung cancer that spread to the spine. Jet was 54 years old. Badly sick and bedridden the last few months, he nonetheless never gave up and still talked about getting well and beating people again.

He had the heart of a lion, feared no one and respected those that warranted respect.
    Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. You can bet your ass that I will do a eulogy at my friend's wake.

Beard
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fred bentivegna; 04-06-2012, 03:12 PM.
    New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
    www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Originally posted by fred bentivegna View Post
    The Hungry Hound, aka, Riley "Jet Johnson," my pal, my protege, and Chicago bank pool legend, passed away last night in a nursing home. It ended a long battle with lung cancer that spread to the spine. Jet was 54 years old. Badly sick and bedridden the last few months, he nonetheless never gave up and still talked about getting well and beating people again.

He had the heart of a lion, feared no one and respected those that warranted respect.
    Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. You can bet your ass that I will do a eulogy for my friend.

Beard

Sad news - another guy from our clan leaves us...I liked Jet a lot - he was good people...

But I'm not going to say rest in peace Jet...I'd rather say - don't rest yet Jet, and I know you won't want to, you like being in action too much - instead, get into some intense bank action with Bugs, Gary Spaeth, Youngblood, and Eddie Taylor...and if Charlie Green wants to get in on it, you guys are supposed to give him a ball - but knowing Charlie's ego like I do, he probably won't take it...

See ya down the road Jet, Ghost
    Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM.
    jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

That's very sad news. Freddy, please get a hold of me if anyone could gather some pics and video, I would be honored to put together a nice slideshow tribute if given a opportunity to do so.

He seemed to have the respect of everyone that knew him and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the guy.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Here's a pic of him (sorry for the quality, internet stream) of him right after winning the 2010 Derby City Classic Bank Ring Game, taking down 9 grand. Please also visit this link for some more photos of him at the event, courtesy of Steve Booth.

http://onepocket.smugmug.com/search/...pocket&x=0&y=0
      Click image for larger version

Name:	jet johnson.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	385452

Comment

Funeral arrangements will be forthcoming. You can bet your ass that I will do a eulogy at my friend's wake.

Beard
        Condolences on the loss of your friend Freddy, may he rest in peace.

Dennis

Comment

my condolences go to the family of jet
          to freddy im sorry to hear of the passing of your good friend who it seems you treated like family
          RIP

Comment

Beard
            Freddy,

Saddened to hear of the loss of your good friend, Jet..He sure sounds like a guy I would love to have known...I am sure you will give him the send off he deserves. RIP Jet, should be lots of action up there for you.

SJD

Comment

Very sorry to hear this Freddy. Condolences to Jet's friends and family.

Comment

Jet was fun to be around, he was a player that played hard and well and he will be missed. My condolences go out to his family and all that knew him well, R.I.P. Jet.

Bill Incardona

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Maybe Steve can make a page for Jet here on 1p.org like the other players who's passed?
                  Yo quiero un Bolsillo

Comment

Sorry, Freddie. Losing friends or family sucks. My sincere condolences.
                    Pete

Comment

This is really sad to read. It seemed like just as he was coming in to his top game, the big C came calling.

I will always remember his obvious joy winning the Derby City ring game a couple years ago.

"One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                        This is really sad to read. It seemed like just as he was coming in to his top game, the big C came calling.

I will always remember his obvious joy winning the Derby City ring game a couple years ago.

Red Shoes has a big void to fill. Jet was such a piece of the fabric that is Red Shoes, he will be greatly missed. Witnessing him at the Derby Ring Game was the most enjoyable pool sweating I have ever had. You could just tell how much it meant to him and the others that called him friend.

Comment

He will be.....

....missed here and especially by Freddie.Via Condios Jet,Bob

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your friend Freddie. Seems like the Big C is rampant amoung the pool community. Living in smoke filled rooms? Damn shame. I'm leaving in the am to see Grady.

Later my friend, Pel
                            I shoot pool like I make love - I'm not very good but do have a lot of fun trying.

Comment

The Secret Society

One of the worst things about the passing of Jet is the fact that he was, IMHO, the last real pool hustler in Chicago.

I have formulated my own little Secret Society of Hustlers based on people that I knew and who qualified for admission under special criteria. Its an exclusive club and the only requirement to get in is to be accepted and acknowledged by the other members. Who likes who, and who hates who, and who can beat who, play no role in being accepted.

Morality, character, ethics, talent, pool speed, gamble, and personal appearance count for zero. The ones that are in know that they belong, and also know who doesnt belong -- usually unanimously.

Unfortunately, members are dropping like flies, with no new replacements in sight. Among them lately were, Pancho, Billy Johnson, and Jet. Now it looks like Charter member, Grady Mathew is apparently headed out soon.

For posterity's sake I have put together, off the top of my head, a list of Club members. Of course there are many more that belong that arent on this list. As my memory is limited, this is not an all encompassing list, but there are many that arent on there that some might think belong. They would be wrong in thinking that.

Club benefits include: lifetime bites, a place to stay, good dukes and steers, a minimum of knocking, elevated backer access, and an automatic seat at all Jackpot sessions. Plus members usually root for other members when they are playing non-members.

Artie Bodendorfer Chicago
                              Baby Face Whitlow Detroit gone
                              Barbara Cooney California
                              Berle Gabbard Corbin Ky
                              Bill Incardona Pittsburg
                              Billy Smith Chicago
                              Brooklyn Butch Fragone NY
                              Brooklyn Jimmy Cassas NY
                              Brooklyn Pancho NY gone
                              Buddy Hall KY
                              Bugs Rucker Chicago gone
                              Clare/ 4 yrs with Jimmy Reid Pittsburg
                              Clem Metz Pittsburg
                              Cliff Joyner No Car
                              Clyde Childress KY gone
                              Cornbread Red Ky gone
                              Cuban Joe Cuba gone
                              Dale Smith Tx
                              Danny DiLiberto Buffalo, NY
                              Danny Jones Atlanta, Ga gone
                              Detroit Whitey Michigan ?
                              Ed Pucharski Cannonball Ed NY ?
                              Eddie Taylor Tenn gone
                              Freddy Bentivegna Chicago
                              Geece Gerace CA gone
                              Gene Skinner Fullerton, Ca gone
                              Grady Mathews CA
                              Greg Sullivan Louisville, KY
                              Hubert Cokes Evansville, IN gone
                              Jack Cooney San Fran
                              Jersey Red NY gone
                              Jet Johnson Chicago gone
                              Jimmy Reid West Palm fla
                              Joey Speith Cinncinnati gone
                              John Chapman Cannonball TX gone
                              John Hager Sr Tex
                              John Popcorn Miller CA
                              Johnny Irvolino Brooklyn gone
                              Jose Parica Philipines
                              Junior Goff Fla
                              Keith McReady Ca
                              Larry Liscotti Conn. gone
                              Lori Shampo Detroit gone
                              Luther Lassiter No Car gone
                              Mexican Johnny Vasquez Tex gone
                              Michigan City Sam Langford Indiana
                              Mickey Carpinelli Port Chester NY gone
                              Mike LeBron Phila
                              Minnesota Fats Ny gone
                              One Eyed Tony Corbin Ky gone
                              Peter Rabbit Linhardt Phila gone
                              Piggy Banks Rogers Chicago
                              Pittsburg John Pitt
                              Ray Booth Fla ?
                              Ray Maples Atlanta, Ga gone
                              Richie Ambrose Ny
                              Ronnie Allen OK
                              Ronnie Sypher Maryland
                              Sammy Eubank Little Rock, Ar
                              Scott Frost Ariz
                              Shannon Daulton Ky
                              Sid Heard Corbin/Hazard Ky ?
                              Sugar shack Johnny Novak Conn
                              Tony Coleman Benton Harbor MI
                              Truman Hogue Ky
                              Wade Crane Ga gone
                              New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                              www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Comment

Working...
                              X