From
Ghosttown
first game
first nice shot i saw
just to have something to talk about while i wait for the "new stuff"
its 1-0 first game wade leading
its dannys shot
View attachment 5724

It doesn't look like the 13 goes in Danny's pocket - if it does he'll shoot that...otherwise I would think that Danny 'tickied' off of the long rail and the back of the 14 ball to give Wade the 10 ball - hopefully the 14ball didn't stick around and become a cross-corner bank for Wade afterwards - conversely, if Danny kicked the 14 in his pocket at the same time as pocketing the 10, that would be gin...:heh

- Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
first game
first nice shot i saw
just to have something to talk about while i wait for the "new stuff"
its 1-0 first game wade leading
its dannys shot
View attachment 5724

This is a 'wing and a prayer' shot..I am going to load the cue ball up, with whatever juice is required, and try to kick, one rail and make the 10 ball. I'm going to shoot fairly firm, and with just a little luck, I will also take the 14 out..I see nothing else worthwhile.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
This is a 'wing and a prayer' shot..I am going to load the cue ball up, with whatever juice is required, and try to kick, one rail and make the 10 ball. I'm going to shoot fairly firm, and with just a little luck, I will also take the 14 out..I see nothing else worthwhile.

You mean kick the 14 toward your hole and billiard the 10 in for him? I like it :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
You mean kick the 14 toward your hole and billiard the 10 in for him? I like it :D

No Tyler, I'm kicking to make the 10 (hopefully rail first on the second rail)...and take out the 14 with the cue ball.. If hit well, it could work. Better than giving up...:help

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
It doesn't look like the 13 goes in Danny's pocket - if it does he'll shoot that...otherwise I would think that Danny 'tickied' off of the long rail and the back of the 14 ball to give Wade the 10 ball - hopefully the 14ball didn't stick around and become a cross-corner bank for Wade afterwards - conversely, if Danny kicked the 14 in his pocket at the same time as pocketing the 10, that would be gin...:heh

- Ghost
This option would be my first choice if available, but it looks like there may not be enough room to hit deep enough behind the 14 ball to execute the shot. Incidentally, there is no "gin" with this shot, this shot is designed to survive.
Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This option is playable, but not all that appealing, but if there isn't anything else it's the right shot.:eek: I don't particularly agree with the hard speed you suggested, but if you feel more comfortable hitting it with a hard speed then I can't argue the point with you. I feel that you can get a nice bend with a softer draw and not run the risk of something unexpected happening. But I respect what you say and i'm willing to learn.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There's another option that's available that hasn't been discussed, and that is to play off the 6 ball hitting the rail in front of the 14 ball and billiard the 10 ball. This shot is not as difficult as it appears, the angle coming off the 6 ball to hit in the back of the 14 ball is a large target, and it looks to be laying natural to execute. Pocketing the 10 ball using this method is a high percentage shot, but you still need to defend against the return shot with the 14 ball. In situations like this one I feel that pocketing the 10 ball is a must, so I would choose the shot that gives me the best chance of pocketing the 10 ball and go from there.;) Which ever option you choose.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I agree that you must try hard to make the 10, but there is a very real danger of the cb coming out of the corner hot, and you need to move the 14 also. If you come off the long rail behind the 14, you will have to hit it a pretty good rap to avoid leaving the bank. I think I might try to make the shot off the 6, with some speed. If you get it right it will move the 6 to your side, knock the 14 away and then make the 10. From where you are, that would be a great outcome.

However, it might be even better, if not so spectacular, to kick gently into the 14, billiarding the 10 and leaving both the cb and the 14 on the end rail. If I can make the 10 and get a safe leave I will be happy. I'll be glad when this is over.

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I personally would kick the 14 and billiard the 10 in here. Id use left as I feel that makes the billiard easier from that angle. Id hit it a medium speed.

There is a shot here, people will think i'm crazy. Maybe this would only work against bad players, but if you bank the 6 into the stack, jam some balls near your hole (hopefully) and try your best to freeze him up there near the upper left corner on the rail so he has to shoot the 8 ball into the hanger... that shot is NOT a hanger. Clip the 14 and its over, with the 14 there, the shot isn't as easy as 1st perceived.

I dont think id shoot that, but there is something to be said about putting a lot of pressure on a guy, and making sure he loses if he misses, in place of taking a flyer. I dont think we see enough of this.... most guys will just shoot the flyer.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

- Ghost

ghost i think this is you shot
gh2.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

sjd i think ths is your shot
sjd.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
There's another option that's available that hasn't been discussed, and that is to play off the 6 ball hitting the rail in front of the 14 ball and billiard the 10 ball. This shot is not as difficult as it appears, the angle coming off the 6 ball to hit in the back of the 14 ball is a large target, and it looks to be laying natural to execute. Pocketing the 10 ball using this method is a high percentage shot, but you still need to defend against the return shot with the 14 ball. In situations like this one I feel that pocketing the 10 ball is a must, so I would choose the shot that gives me the best chance of pocketing the 10 ball and go from there.;) Which ever option you choose.

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill i think this is your shot
the red arrow shows the fudge factor for where the 14 will end up
bi1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I agree that you must try hard to make the 10, but there is a very real danger of the cb coming out of the corner hot, and you need to move the 14 also. If you come off the long rail behind the 14, you will have to hit it a pretty good rap to avoid leaving the bank. I think I might try to make the shot off the 6, with some speed. If you get it right it will move the 6 to your side, knock the 14 away and then make the 10. From where you are, that would be a great outcome.

However, it might be even better, if not so spectacular, to kick gently into the 14, billiarding the 10 and leaving both the cb and the 14 on the end rail. If I can make the 10 and get a safe leave I will be happy. I'll be glad when this is over.

vapros "less spectacular shot"
vv1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I personally would kick the 14 and billiard the 10 in here. Id use left as I feel that makes the billiard easier from that angle. Id hit it a medium speed.

There is a shot here, people will think i'm crazy. Maybe this would only work against bad players, but it you bank the 6 into the stack, jam some balls into your hole (hopefully) and try your best to freeze him up there so he has to shoot the 8 ball into the hanger... that shot is NOT a hanger. Clip the 10 and its over.

I dont think id shoot that, but there is something to be said about putting a lot of pressure on a guy, and making sure he loses if he misses, in place of taking a flyer. I dont think we see enough of this.... most guys will just shoot the flyer.

tylers "on the lemmon"...:)D) playing a weak player shot i think
i wasnt sure exactly what you were doing with the cue ball
tt1.jpg

tylerdurden

Verified Member
tylers "on the lemmon"...:)D) playing a weak player shot i think
i wasnt sure exactly what you were doing with the cue ball
View attachment 5729

You got it, cb goes straight up without hitting the 1.

I'd really shoot ghost's shot here, but I do like to think about other ways to try and win a game. I think there is a lot to the philosophy of giving a guy that is in a REALLY strong position a tough shot when he gets back to the table, with the realization that if he misses it's over for sure. As the game stands now, crane could miss 3 balls in a row and danny could maybe get one ball.

bstroud

Verified Member
There is another route to the 10 ball.

Draw off the dark ball next to the one ball and down to the 10.

I shoot this shot often and get good results.

Bill Stroud

timdog24

Verified Member

Bill Stroud

I like this way too. This shot comes up in 9 ball all the time.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Bill Stroud

Excuse me for being late to the party. I've been on the road all week as usual. But, good to see you back, Bill. I've bragged about meeting you ever since Derby City.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Bill Stroud

That's a good choice too. You can hit the ten directly or use the fourteen to come off of, sort of like a funnel. I was always sort of a masse shot expert so I could just masse around the stack and knock the ten in. Alll you have to do is pretty much touch it from that angel..Easy shot especially with new cloth