M. Immonen vs. R. Richeson 2003 D.C.C.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I guess he could go off the 14 and behind the 7 or just roll 1 rail behind the 7, a nice speed and he might lock him on the 7 not letting him see the 3.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
With the score at 3 to minus 1 and looking at an inferior position that looks to only get worse i'm kicking two cushions under the 7 ball with med. hard speed to move some balls toward my pocket. This shot if hit reasonably well will send the cue ball back up table on Richies side and could easily reverse the position.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
With the score at 3 to minus 1 and looking at an inferior position that looks to only get worse i'm kicking two cushions under the 7 ball with med. hard speed to move some balls toward my pocket. This shot if hit reasonably well will send the cue ball back up table on Richies side and could easily reverse the position.

Dr. Bill
That was my first thought but after looking i like banking the 3 ball into the balls down table( the 8 and 9 ball preferably). Moving balls toward my hole and im putting the cueball off the side rail and trying to hook him under the ball ball cluster on the end rail( looks like the 5 ball and maybe the 13 ball

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
That was my first thought but after looking i like banking the 3 ball into the balls down table( the 8 and 9 ball preferably). Moving balls toward my hole and im putting the cueball off the side rail and trying to hook him under the ball ball cluster on the end rail( looks like the 5 ball and maybe the 13 ball

If you look at the over head picture (first picture) the angle isn't the best for that shot. If the angle was better I would shoot it also, better control with the cue ball.

Dr. Bill

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY

Dr. Bill
I think your right about hitting it at a medium speed since the 7 has a chance to hit and possibly make the 1, 8 or 9 as it will be going that way.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
If you look at the over head picture (first picture) the angle isn't the best for that shot. If the angle was better I would shoot it also, better control with the cue ball.

Dr. Bill
You are right again Billy. Thats why we play 10 to 8. I shoot better but you move better

bstroud

Verified Member
I'm with Billy I. on this one.

The situation is bad and will get worse without some aggressive move NOW.

Bill Stroud

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I think the Hacker's shot will work but no need to get behind the five ball. I don't like the two rail kick at the seven because it will need some speed to be effective and there is too good of a chance to give up a shot on what appears to be the 15 ball.hacker shot.JPG

timdog24

Verified Member
Im playing the shot where I know exactly where the cue ball
is going - which is banking the 3 towards my hole/at the balls
(Franks shot).

I don't see the value in kicking 2 rails at the 7, off the back
rail with speed. The balls are not laying THAT bad and you don't know
exactly where the rock is going. To me, it looks like you can get similar
action off the balls by banking the 3 at them. Yes, very good things can
happen playing Billys shot, but Frank's/Hackers shot is safer and easier andthe cue ball will be in top left corner always.
Catch the 7 thickly and the cue ball might not go all the way back
uptable, and then you're leaving a good player near the balls and
you gotta hope he can't bank one.
Then again, im looking at it on my iphone and its tough to see the angles.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Mika did what any redblooded Norwegian would do from here, he ran 9 & out:p.

He started with the 3 cross-corner through traffic:eek:.

MI's Shot.jpg

He left the cueball here:

CapturedPicture_5.Jpeg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Wow -- I never would have thought the three ball could squeeze through there! Richie must have been beside himself...

In some cases it's not fair to go back and look at the shot that got a player in trouble, it's just the way the game goes, but RR made a mistake in my opinion on the shot that left Mika the layout in this thread. He could've easily shot the 3 ball (softly) and moved the cueball to the same location. I was very surprised when seeing this for the 1st time that RR passed up shooting the 3 from here. I realize that Richie wanted the cueball to end up on the headrail to the left of the 10 ball (as he's viewing the table) but it didn't work out. If he puts the cueball on the rail next to the 10 it would've negated the bank on the 3 and made it much tougher to play safe for Mika but trusting a table to roll straight on that shot is risky.

Instead he rolled into the 10 ball, double-kissed off it, averting a scratch off the kiss and leaving Mika a shot at the 3 that, however unlikely, Mika made and then ran 8 more. I don't particularly think the 3 was the right shot for Mika but it wasn't egregiously wrong either.

Here's the layout Richie had before leaving Mika the bank on the 3:

RR.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In some cases it's not fair to go back and look at the shot that got a player in trouble, it's just the way the game goes, but RR made a mistake in my opinion on the shot that left Mika the layout in this thread. He could've easily shot the 3 ball (softly) and moved the cueball to the same location. I was very surprised when seeing this for the 1st time that RR passed up shooting the 3 from here. I realize that Richie wanted the cueball to end up on the headrail to the left of the 10 ball (as he's viewing the table) but it didn't work out. If he puts the cueball on the rail next to the 10 it would've negated the bank on the 3 and made it much tougher to play safe for Mika but trusting a table to roll straight on that shot is risky.

Instead he rolled into the 10 ball, double-kissed off it, averting a scratch off the kiss and leaving Mika a shot at the 3 that, however unlikely, Mika made and then ran 8 more. I don't particularly think the 3 was the right shot for Mika but it wasn't egregiously wrong either.

Here's the layout Richie had before leaving Mika the bank on the 3:

View attachment 5865
I agree with every thing you said. The shot R.R. shot had to roll off on him, and yes he wanted to position the cue ball on the top rail, using the 3 ball as a blocker for the soft kick at the 7 ball and also not allowing Mika the angle to bank the 3 ball. The angle of the first picture suggested to me that the 3 ball bank was laying short, but obviously it wasn't. But if you look at the position of the cue ball after Mika banked the 3 ball it was set up for a possible good return shot for Richie, had not the 3 ball been pocketed. The 3 ball would of then struck another ball and most likely would of left a decent return shot. But if Mika had the angle to bank the 3 ball and draw the cue ball down the side rail that option would of been a much better one.

Dr. Bill

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Maybe Richeson considered the possibility of scratching too much with the opportunity of banking the 3.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Maybe Richeson considered the possibility of scratching too much with the opportunity of banking the 3.

Tony, Richie knew before he shot his shot that the 3 ball was a bankable option for Mika had the cue ball ended up where it did. Understanding this you would then have to believe that the table roll was responsible for the poorly executed shot. In regard to the option of Richie playing off the 3 ball by soft rolling at it, would then put Mika in a position to kick into the 7 ball, either softly, or with a med. hard speed. So playing off the 3 ball was an option, but a poor one for the reason I stated. Also, Richie was not concerned about the possibility of scratching if he chose to bank the 3 ball, simply because that option was a poor one regardless if struck softly or with speed.

Allow me to bring up some note worthy points when confronted with a situation similar to this one. Whenever you find yourself near a cushion 7 ft. away from a ball that carries a tough angle to bank, and the consequence for missing could be fatal, look else where. The message that should be going through your mind when confronted with this type of a situation is...handle with care....

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Tony, Richie knew before he shot his shot that the 3 ball was a bankable option for Mika had the cue ball ended up where it did. Understanding this you would then have to believe that the table roll was responsible for the poorly executed shot. In regard to the option of Richie playing off the 3 ball by soft rolling at it, would then put Mika in a position to kick into the 7 ball, either softly, or with a med. hard speed. So playing off the 3 ball was an option, but a poor one for the reason I stated. Also, Richie was not concerned about the possibility of scratching if he chose to bank the 3 ball, simply because that option was a poor one regardless if struck softly or with speed.

Allow me to bring up some note worthy points when confronted with a situation similar to this one. Whenever you find yourself near a cushion 7 ft. away from a ball that carries a tough angle to bank, and the consequence for missing could be fatal, look else where. The message that should be going through your mind when confronted with this type of a situation is handle with care.

Dr. Bill

First of all let's agree that RR's shot was a good one on a familiar table where you know how it rolls. On a tournament table that you may not have played on yet it was risky.

On a strange table I like going softly off the 3 and removing it from being banked. Let's say RR did roll off the 3 and put the cueball in exactly the same place (for simplicitys sake). Let Mika kick at the 7, it's no offensive shot. If he kicks hard he can easily sell out a shot at the 15 ball. If he kicks soft he can give up banks on the 6,9 or 3 all depending on where the 3 ends up. Let him kick at the 7 and the game continues.

RR's shot1.jpg

RR's shot2.jpg