The passing of a true legend

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
It is with deep sadness that I pass along a message I got from Eddie Taylor's wife this morning. Rest in peace my friend.

I wanted to let all of you know that at 9:12 this morning at his home in
Bossier City with family and friends, Eddie Taylor passed away. It is
ironic that today is his previous wife, Vi's, birthday.
Arrangements are tentative at this point but we believe Thursday will be
his funeral. Will let you know.
If they never learned to bank balls in heaven, they better get ready for
the Knoxville Bear.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Bear

The Bear

Grady said:
It is with deep sadness that I pass along a message I got from Eddie Taylor's wife this morning. Rest in peace my friend.

I wanted to let all of you know that at 9:12 this morning at his home in
Bossier City with family and friends, Eddie Taylor passed away. It is
ironic that today is his previous wife, Vi's, birthday.
Arrangements are tentative at this point but we believe Thursday will be
his funeral. Will let you know.
If they never learned to bank balls in heaven, they better get ready for
the Knoxville Bear.

Eddie "The Knoxville Bear" Taylor, was one of the few really superstars in the game. Whereas I was pretty familiar with most of the other top players -- we talked and interacted -- around Taylor I was in such awe that I never even attempted to talk to him, even though I was dying to. Like in Johnston City, in a town full of the greatest players in the world, he never got asked to play! It was kind of assumed by everyone to just leave him be and go find something else. He was even barred out of the ring Nineball games. Wimpy said the Bear was the only pool genius he had ever met beside Spin The Ball George.
the Beard

Last edited:

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
A True Gentleman & Great Player.

A True Gentleman & Great Player.

I only spent one week around Eddie Taylor in Shreveport way back when, but I'll never forget the mannerisms and history this great man shared with me.
His love of life and respect for the game of pool was remarkable. My only regret is that I didn't have the foresight to record the stories and thoughts that he stated so eloquently.
He will NEVER be equaled in the game he loved!
May He Rest In Peace!

TY & GL

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What a fantastic player -- Eddie Taylor truly was one of the very top cue artists of all time -- even when measured against players in all cue sports!! What a talent he brought to the world pool in general.

Of course he was a fantastic banker, One pocket, and 9-ball player and he might have been overlooked a little because straight pool was the 'establishment game' during Eddie's best years. Like Weenie Beenie is quoted, 'If he'd have been born in NY, there would have been a lot of straight pool players leaving.'

And what a wonderful person -- has there ever been a more well-liked player -- even by his most intense rivals and victims of his after-hours dominance?

Eddie 'The Knoxville Bear' Taylor
Rest in Peace

diane

Verified Member
From
Gautier, Mississippi
The Knoxville Bear

The Knoxville Bear

Eddie was truly one of the classiest and sweetest men I have ever had the privaledge to know. A "WALKING MAN'S FRIEND AND THE LADIES' CHOICE". He will be sorely missed every day and honored in prayer every night.
My sincere condolences to his wife, family and friends.

STRAIGHT BACK, EDDIE!!!
Love Forever

luckybreaky

Verified Member
Sorry to hear...

Sorry to hear...

Like Grady said hoped they learn how to bank in heaven. I bet his giving god break 2 balls and the pick

bjspivey

Verified Member
From
TEXAS
Eddie Taylor

Eddie Taylor

Eddie Taylor will be laid to rest in Andersonville Tenn, For Graveside services Call Cox Funeral home I belive its at 4 P.M.Also services in Bossier City tomorrow at 10 A.M.[Tursday] At Rose-Neath Funeral Home 2201 Airline Dr. Bossier City La 71111. To send cards,1960 Alfored Lane #144 Bossier City La 71112 God Bless, :(

Last edited:

The Poor Old Goose

Verified Member
I watched my old Eddie Taylor tape last night. Eddie said he would like to have one more match with Lassiter and to be able to perform like he knew he could. Maybe now.

Hubert Hunt

Eddie Taylor

Eddie Taylor

Since Eddie Taylor is in Heaven now, I do not mind going there myself. I just want to watch Eddie play some more pool. What a great gentleman Eddie Taylor has and will always be both in our hearts and in Heaven.

Mary B

Verified Member
From
California
"Thank You All"

"Thank You All"

Hi I am Mary Detto Bennett; Eddie Taylor is my uncle, I am the niece that does the 2 web sites about him. I have been working on the newest web site for the last few days, I wanted to get allot more finished before I lost him :(
I have been sitting here reading, what all of you had to say about him. You have all brought tears to my eyes, I see just how much his friends and fans cared and loved him. I don't know what I am going to do without him, but I know he is now with my late Aunt Vi who he loved for 33 years. I know I am missing him already as I am sure you are ......
Well I just wanted to get the word out I have a Memorial site up where, his Family Friends and Fans can write something about him or just want to sign the book. You can find it on both web sites .... I want the Legand of the "Knoxville Bear" to live on forever, and you can help me do this. I thank each and every one of you. I would like to get permission to use what each of you have written and add it to the web site. If this is ok please e-mail me at maryv@c-zone.net or go to the web site and sign the Memorial Book
Thank you ...
Mary Detto Bennett
http://eddietaylortheknoxvillebear.com or the one below:
http://theknoxvillebear.com

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Mary B said:
Hi I am Mary Detto Bennett; Eddie Taylor is my uncle, I am the niece that does the 2 web sites about him. I have been working on the newest web site for the last few days, I wanted to get allot more finished before I lost him :(
I have been sitting here reading, what all of you had to say about him. You have all brought tears to my eyes, I see just how much his friends and fans cared and loved him. I don't know what I am going to do without him, but I know he is now with my late Aunt Vi who he loved for 33 years. I know I am missing him already as I am sure you are ......
Well I just wanted to get the word out I have a Memorial site up where, his Family Friends and Fans can write something about him or just want to sign the book. You can find it on both web sites .... I want the Legand of the "Knoxville Bear" to live on forever, and you can help me do this. I thank each and every one of you. I would like to get permission to use what each of you have written and add it to the web site. If this is ok please e-mail me at maryv@c-zone.net or go to the web site and sign the Memorial Book
Thank you ...
Mary Detto Bennett
http://eddietaylortheknoxvillebear.com or the one below:
http://theknoxvillebear.com
Mary, your uncle was a hero to many of us would be pool players and people who could actually play the game well. I never said a word to Eddie Taylor but I listened when he talked and watched in awe of his playing ability. Great sense of humor and a pleasure to be around. He will and should be remembered for ever.

Gerald

Verified Member
Are there any tapes or DVD of Eddie Taylor during his prime years? If so I would definitely be interested in buying a copy or so.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
He couldn't see very well by the mid-60's I've read. His prime was probably 20-25 years before that. Tapes or DVD's? We're lucky photography had been invented by then :D

Martin

Gerald said:
Are there any tapes or DVD of Eddie Taylor during his prime years? If so I would definitely be interested in buying a copy or so.

The Poor Old Goose

Verified Member
Mary B , Thank you for the Eddie Taylor Web Site. The tape I have is by Alf Taylor. Louis {Little Hand} Bramlett} whom was a top notch Bank Pool player was asked how he could play Eddie , his reply was he couldn't. Not even with a spot , he was asked. Little Hand said you don"t seem to understand there are bank pool players and then there is EDDIE TAYLOR.

Mary B

Verified Member
From
California
Piracy of Alfie Taylor's Movie on Eddie Taylor

Piracy of Alfie Taylor's Movie on Eddie Taylor

Poor Old Goose Said:

Mary B , Thank you for the Eddie Taylor Web Site. The tape I have is by Alf Taylor.

Your welcome Goose .. The web sites I have up started out on my personal web site as a small family thing. Uncle Eddie was thrilled to see what I had done, he e-mailed all of his friends etc. To let them know the web sites were up and and told them that "I thought that he was a Legand" for some reason... He didn't see himself that way but I did along with many others. He is one of the best and my eyes he was the best. He will live in my heart forever *Smile* I to have the same Tape that Alfie Taylor made. Uncle Eddie sent it to me before he passed away along with allot of other thing's.

I have been working more on his Memorial page, something struck me to login in E-Bay. I joined and did some looking around, I found a guy selling a DVD of that movie with the same cover picture on it. I knew what this guy was doing so I put the highest bid down, to keep this guy in e-bay. Until I could get ahold of Alfie, which I did day before yesterday. I got all of the information on this guy selling this bootleg of the movie he had put on a DVD and turned him in to the security. Then I got ahold of Alfie and Bruce Baldridge Alfie took over from there and spoke to this guy that admitted it was a Fake etc.

Alf sent me another e-mail last night this guy told him, there was another guy on e-bay doing the same thing. And asked me to login and see if I could find him. I did and I found that he has 6 DVD up for bid, 1 of my late Uncle Eddie and a few of some of the other players. Below is some of the bootleg DVD listings: :mad:

Bank Pool Billiards Eddie "Knoxville Bear" Taylor DVD Item number: 6432605220

1 One Pocket Bank Pool 8 9 ball DVD Reyes vs. Mathews Item number: 6432605442

Instructional Bank Pool Billiards DVD 8 9 Ball 1 Pocket Item number: 6432605776 Instructional Pool 8 9 ball DVD – Killer 1 One Pocket Item number: 6432605957

Pool Billiards Archer vs. Deuel DVD 9 Ball for $30,000 Item number: 6432607196

Instructional Bank Pool Billiards DVD 8 9 Ball 1 Pocket Item number: 6432605776

I am sure the owners of the movies above that are being put on DVD and is being sold on e-bay would like this information. The sellers ID name is ssnapnutz69
I hope this information helps .. I will continue to monitor e-bay abit longer.
The other guys ID name is netwrkz200

Tom

Verified Member
Eddie Taylor

Eddie Taylor

Eddie Taylor was just about the nicest guy you could ever hope to know. He drew crowds of friends, and not just because they wanted to be around the best in the world but because he was simply a real sweetheart of a guy.

Eddie could tell stories for hours and in his very long career he knew just about everyone. If he didn't think highly of their character he'd let you know in a subtle way and just not say anything more about him. If he liked someone - and he liked a lot of people - he would go on and on with story after story.

Someone in this thread asked about the range of his peak years. He was born in 1918 and his peak banking years probably covered 1936-1976. But not many people know that in the 1940s he was probably the best 9-Ball player in the country. One Pocket was a natural for him, partly because of his banking ability but also because of his keen mind, and he was one of the best.

When I wrote the first story about him I asked a number of players to name the top Bank Pool players in history. Two or three names popped up regularly, but never Eddie Taylor's. That amazed me and I asked What about Taylor? They'd say, "Oh you can't compare anybody to Taylor. He was the best that ever was. There was Taylor and then there was everybody else. I thought you were asking who was the best under Taylor." To be so good that your peers put you into a one person world is astounding in any sport, and I've never heard it done by anyone else in pool. That's how good Eddie played.

It seems false that I'll never be able to pick up the phone and hear his cheerful voice on the other end of the line. I'll miss him.

Tom
P&B