Grady Mathews Tribute by Incardona, DiLiberto, Helfert, and McCready

JAM

Verified Member
Jerry Forsyth of AzBilliards conducted an interview of the above-referenced four pool folk to share their memories of Grady Mathews and maybe tell a few funny stories along the way.

Grady was a character, and one thing about it, he was never afraid to speak his mind to anybody. It didn't matter who you were. I always liked that about Grady. I'm the same way. Now, I didn't necessarily agree with everything Grady did, but I respect him for being a straight shooter, in more ways than one.

Anyway, if you have a little extra time and you want to listen to Billy, Danny, Jay, and Keith pay tribute to Grady, then check it out:

Grady Mathews Tribute Conducted by Jerry Forsyth

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Jerry Forsyth of AzBilliards conducted an interview of the above-referenced four pool folk to share their memories of Grady Mathews and maybe tell a few funny stories along the way.

Grady was a character, and one thing about it, he was never afraid to speak his mind to anybody. It didn't matter who you were. I always liked that about Grady. I'm the same way. Now, I didn't necessarily agree with everything Grady did, but I respect him for being a straight shooter, in more ways than one.

Anyway, if you have a little extra time and you want to listen to Billy, Danny, Jay, and Keith pay tribute to Grady, then check it out:

That was a great show there. I really liked all of the interviews. I laughed hard at the story where Grady wanted DD to show him a few things and get him tuned up in order to whip Allen Hopkins' Ass in a fist fight when he was 60. They could have done a pay per view. Of course The Rock Star, Dr. Bill had to be the closer. Yes who else could close that show??? Nice....

I really enjoyed this, Jennie. Thanks for putting it up.

Clare

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
How you doin', Miss Jennie? Thanks for the heads-up re the Jerry Forsyth interview. It was enjoyable to hear all the commentary about the late, great Grady Mathews. Jerry is himself a tireless promoter of pool. Attached is a picture of Jerry and me at the opening tournament at Grady's poolroom in Lexington, SC some years back. Jerry is a robust guy with a great sense of humor. This is the second best picture ever taken of me. All the others are tied for first place! ~Doc

Attachments

• Jerry-Art-1.jpg
    Jerry-Art-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

JAM

Verified Member
That was a great show there. I really liked all of the interviews. I laughed hard at the story where Grady wanted DD to show him a few things and get him tuned up in order to whip Allen Hopkins' Ass in a fist fight when he was 60. They could have done a pay per view. Of course The Rock Star, Dr. Bill had to be the closer. Yes who else could close that show??? Nice....

I laughed at that one too. I've seen Grady put up his dukes a couple times. :lol

You gotta love that man. Grady was really harmless, but he sure could give you a verbal lashing if he was mad. :D

RIP, Grady!

JAM

Verified Member
I really enjoyed this, Jennie. Thanks for putting it up.

Clare

I am glad you liked it, Clare.

There's one school of thought in pool today that would like to do away with the so-called "older generation" of pool players. I read a post on AzBilliards the other day that was written by a so-called "industry member" who stated this. It makes the hair on my neck stand up. :mad:

We should cherish the memories of those warriors from days gone by when pool was in all its glory. I don't think I will ever get to see pool shine as brightly in my lifetime ever again.

As such, I respect the Old Guard and the New Guard in pool. What the future holds is anybody's guess, but I ain't forgetting our American pool greats, and I also ain't forgetting those who put 'em down. Like Grady, them's fighting words to my ears, and I know how to give a verbal lashing or two myself. ;)

JAM

Verified Member
How you doin', Miss Jennie? Thanks for the heads-up re the Jerry Forsyth interview. It was enjoyable to hear all the commentary about the late, great Grady Mathews. Jerry is himself a tireless promoter of pool. Attached is a picture of Jerry and me at the opening tournament at Grady's poolroom in Lexington, SC some years back. Jerry is a robust guy with a great sense of humor. This is the second best picture ever taken of me. All the others are tied for first place! ~Doc

Doc, you are very handsome. Why is it that men look better with age, like a fine wine, yet women seem to wrinkle up like a prune? It ain't fair. :eek:

That's a great photo of you and Jerry. If I didn't know you, Doc, and I saw you walking down the street, well, I'd be giving you the ol' rubber neck. :cool:

I remember that tournament that Grady held when he first opened that pool room. Gosh, he had great dreams about that place. He and Randi were both so very proud.

I know Randi reached out her hand to accompany Grady to the celestial shores. The two of them together in heaven is a good thought. :)

I'd like to think about the old Hank Williams song when I think about Grady going to heaven: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_3TVucft0"]I'll Fly Away[/ame].

Deeman

Verified Member

There's one school of thought in pool today that would like to do away with the so-called "older generation" of pool players. I read a post on AzBilliards the other day that was written by a so-called "industry member" who stated this. It makes the hair on my neck stand up. :mad:

We should cherish the memories of those warriors from days gone by when pool was in all its glory. I don't think I will ever get to see pool shine as brightly in my lifetime ever again.

As such, I respect the Old Guard and the New Guard in pool. What the future holds is anybody's guess, but I ain't forgetting our American pool greats, and I also ain't forgetting those who put 'em down. Like Grady, them's fighting words to my ears, and I know how to give a verbal lashing or two myself. ;)

JAM,

Well said! I think we do honor to ourselves when we recognize the past greats as well as the current champs. If we only had stuff like this from 50-60 years ago not so much would have been lost.

Thanks,

DeeMan

Doc, you are very handsome. Why is it that men look better with age, like a fine wine, yet women seem to wrinkle up like a prune? It ain't fair.

That's a great photo of you and Jerry. If I didn't know you, Doc, and I saw you walking down the street, well, I'd be giving you the ol' rubber neck. :cool:

I remember that tournament that Grady held when he first opened that pool room. Gosh, he had great dreams about that place. He and Randi were both so very proud.

I know Randi reached out her hand to accompany Grady to the celestial shores. The two of them together in heaven is a good thought. :)

I'd like to think about the old Hank Williams song when I think about Grady going to heaven: I'll Fly Away.

Oh yeah, Doc is one handsome man. Good to see you , Doc !

Jennie, they might just very well get to see pool shine brightly again. :cool: If they stick around for a while. Cherish the memories???? Like they are all dead. Think again.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well thanks, Jen and Clare! A guy can always use a little puffin' up.;) Y'all made some good points about the old timers, as did Deeman. Grady was a unique character in pool, and had a distinguished and stellar career.

I think it should be said that our own "Pelican", Rick L., gave huge amounts of his friendship and time to Grady-- certainly in the last year or so of Grady's life. Rick made many trips from Mobile to Lexington to help Grady, and to see to his final affairs. Rick is not the kind of man who puts that stuff out on the street, and I hope he's not ticked at me for mentioning this. But without Rick's help, Grady's final several months would have been much bleaker.

I recall similar attention that Beard gave to Bugs during his final days. I think guys like Rick and Freddy show what true friendship is all about.

Doc

Well thanks, Jen and Clare! A guy can always use a little puffin' up.;) Y'all made some good points about the old timers, as did Deeman. Grady was a unique character in pool, and had a distinguished and stellar career.

I think it should be said that our own "Pelican", Rick L., gave huge amounts of his friendship and time to Grady-- certainly in the last year or so of Grady's life. Rick made many trips from Mobile to Lexington to help Grady, and to see to his final affairs. Rick is not the kind of man who puts that stuff out on the street, and I hope he's not ticked at me for mentioning this. But without Rick's help, Grady's final several months would have been much bleaker.

I recall similar attention that Beard gave to Bugs during his final days. I think guys like Rick and Freddy show what true friendship is all about.

Doc

Doc, I am so happy to see you back on the forum. :cool: I do not know "Pelican", but he sounds like a great human being and truly good friend to Grady. That pleases me.

Freddy is one of the finest men I know. With all of his "Detroit Whitey Good, Weeny Beenie Bad", he is the most upstanding gentleman I have ever had the pleasure of associating with. Can't ever get a better friend than Freddy the Beard.

Clare

Thanks Clare. I'm starting to get a little interest back in 1P. You can see Pelican's member listing here: http://www.onepocket.org/forum/memberlist.php?&pp=30&order=asc&sort=username&ltr=P&page=2

Yeah, Beard's a pretty good feller. A little reserved, though-- dontcha think?:D

Doc

Yes, Doc, Freddy is a little reserved. Just like the rest of younse guys.:D

Clare

P.S. Now that you got me talking Pittsburghese, here's one for you: djet djet?
Can you figure it out?