Efren/shane 2012 dcc #1

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i'll jump in and start...the shot selections can only get better from here...:eek:

two rail the 15 and leave SVB on head rail close to his top corner pocket.
:)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I don't see anything here that I like, and not many balls I would consider moving - certainly not any balls that are around the foot spot. I will roll the 15 ball into the upper right corner pocket, following with the cueball to the long rail. Not only will that protect the 5 ball, but the 8-15 combination behind the spot might turn out to be a real threat to Shane. He will have a serious problem here, just to extend the game.

No uptable game this time.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
All Efren has to do, is shave the ball by his pocket, (4 ?) go two rails, and hide it from Shane, leaving the cue,about a foot out, by the side pocket, where Shane has no kick at it.... could be game over...:cool:

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
All Efren has to do, is shave the ball by his pocket, (4 ?) and hide it from Shane, leaving the cue,about a foot out, by the side pocket, where Shane has no kick at it.... could be game over...:cool:

Yep, and he shoots good sinister handed. :p
Rod.

andyk

From
Tucson, Az
I shoot SJD's shot... that way if Shane decided to go for something, at least the ball will be right in front of my pocket. Would it be possible to bank the one ball and either follow the cue ball up to 1st diamond on long rail behind the 15 or stun the cue ball to the opposite side pocket? I don't think it sits quite right... I wouldn't shoot it, but Efren might.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I shoot SJD's shot... that way if Shane decided to go for something, at least the ball will be right in front of my pocket. Would it be possible to bank the one ball and either follow the cue ball up to 1st diamond on long rail behind the 15 or stun the cue ball to the opposite side pocket? I don't think it sits quite right... I wouldn't shoot it, but Efren might.

Yes, it's a half ball hit, but you couldn't hit it pocket speed because the funny CB might not stun across the table shooting easier. I'd want to hit it harder anyway to get a miss outta there. :D
Rod.
P.S. You must elevate your cue and hit down on the CB with no English, only middle ball

timdog24

Verified Member
I like SJD's shot also.
Another shot you can play is cross banking the 15 towards the top left corner with inside and bring the cue ball near the right side pocket. That puts the 15 out of play/on your side and protects your opponent from seeing the 4 near your hole.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Straight back on the 1 ball, center ball stroke. QB goes across to the opposite diamond from the 1 ball. Lots of blocker balls.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I would play off the left side of the 4 ball hitting it thick enough to move it up table and out of play and i would use low ball to leave the cue ball on the bottom rail. At 7-0 I cant see leaving the 4 ball down table, Shane shoots so well I think you have to protect your leave. Keith

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Duckbrain has somehow figured out what to do. In situations like this I dont even want to get my desperate oppo a moon-shot. SJD's shot should force his oppo to play a passive shot and give Efren a chance to clean up and take enough balls out of play where Shane cant win on one shot no matter how phenomenal.

The main shot I am looking to defend against is banking the 15 straight back and going three rails behind the stack with the cue ball. With SJD's shot I would be looking to put the cue ball on or next to, the long rail taking the 15 out of the equation.

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
All Efren has to do, is shave the ball by his pocket, (4 ?) go two rails, and hide it from Shane, leaving the cue,about a foot out, by the side pocket, where Shane has no kick at it.... could be game over...:cool:

since this a popular choice so far is this your shot sjd??
sjd1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
i'll jump in and start...the shot selections can only get better from here...:eek:

two rail the 15 and leave SVB on head rail close to his top corner pocket.
:)

Good option, moving the 15 ball and positioning it on your side is very productive on two fronts. First you take away a possible game winning bank from Shane, and secondly you position it on your side of the table, relatively out of play for Shane. The other option of shaving the 4 ball is also a good option, providing you hit it with the right speed. I like the 15 ball option the best.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Good option, moving the 15 ball and positioning it on your side is very productive on two fronts. First you take away a possible game winning bank from Shane, and secondly you position it on your side of the table, relatively out of play for Shane. The other option of shaving the 4 ball is also a good option, providing you hit it with the right speed. I like the 15 ball option the best.

Dr. Bill

You must understand by leaving the 15 ball where it is you will invariably have to deal with it at a later time, and it might just be difficult to do. So why not move it now when there is very little chance if any that something can go wrong? Plus you're not giving anything up that is good for Shane.

Allow me to play devils advocate. If you shave the 4 ball you could leave a return bank on either the 4-3-9- or even the 15 ball, it's very possible. With the score as it is I like playing a more solid of a lock down shot like the 15 ball.:sorry Dick, but that's the way I see it.

Dr. Bill

tylerdurden

Verified Member
If you shave the 4 ball you could leave a return bank on either the 4-3-9- or even the 15 ball, it's very possible.

Dr. Bill

Yes, the 9, 3 and 15 look possible to me, as well as the combo 5-8 bank (hard to tell on all these exactly though). He could also maybe 2 rail the 15 and leave you upper right (not a fun spot) if you shoot ducks shot, I want to guard against that stuff. I am not crazy about ducks skim the 4 shot everyone likes. I would bump the 4 toward the 1 here and leave the cb very close to the rail not moving very far from where that 4 is now, maybe a half diamond. I think miller has a great point about moving that 15 though. IT is very interesting to see what people do in these spots -- I know for me I dont play top notch players often so my shots may be a little conservative. I think more about getting at least a ball or 2 in spots he cant make them in spots like this, while leaving him pretty "safe" (where that 4 is now its very gettable for a guy whos running balls). That 9-3 bank combo doesnt line up either (see pic), even though it looks it from that one angle......

Attachments

• ee3.jpg
    ee3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You must understand by leaving the 15 ball where it is you will invariably have to deal with it at a later time, and it might just be difficult to do. So why not move it now when there is very little chance if any that something can go wrong? Plus you're not giving anything up that is good for Shane.

Allow me to play devils advocate. If you shave the 4 ball you could leave a return bank on either the 4-3-9- or even the 15 ball, it's very possible. With the score as it is I like playing a more solid of a lock down shot like the 15 ball.:sorry Dick, but that's the way I see it.

Dr. Bill

Did you honestly think that I didnt consider the 15 ball? Of course it is the most dangerous ball out there. But I dont see a way to reposition it safely.

Maybe we can make believe that there is no 1 ball that Shane can bank into the stack, opening everything up, and maybe get a favorable roll, or some good options where Efren wont be able to defend against all of them.

Beard

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
I would either straight back the 1 ball or shoot the 15 ball in the corner pocket and follow the cue ball.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Did you honestly think that I didnt consider the 15 ball? Of course it is the most dangerous ball out there. But I dont see a way to reposition it safely.

Maybe we can make believe that there is no 1 ball that Shane can bank into the stack, opening everything up, and maybe get a favorable roll, or some good options where Efren wont be able to defend against all of them.

Beard

I understand what your concerns are with the 1 ball, and yes I factored that into my decision making. And to me from the second picture there is a two rail follow shot available with the 15 ball, take another look. Lets talk a little more about the reason I believe the 15 ball is the better choice.

When you shoot the 15 ball you know you're being productive by repositioning the ball on your side of the table, relatively out of play for Shane. Plus, your taking away an option that Shane could use later in the rack to beat you with. These two factors are apparent. Now look at the stack the way the balls are positioned and you will see that if Shane banks the 1 ball into the balls the only makeable ball is the 9 ball, all other balls don't go toward the pocket. Not only that but if you happen to position the cue ball on or near the top rail when shooting the 15 ball it will most likely stop any power move off the 1 ball.

There are concerns with every shot we shoot playing pool, it's up to us to evaluate the situation and make our decision based off of our evaluation, that's why there are differences in opinions. I explained my reasons why I like the 15 ball, but that doesn't mean that my evaluation is the better one. But to me it feels right.

Dr. Bill

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I've watched this match but I was probably having a pop at the time so I can't remember what was shot here but here's my shot, as long as it was available. I'd two-rail the 15 with inside-draw and try to hit the 1 with it. One way or another I'd move something my way and no-harm no-foul if I don't. The 15 could even hit the siderail before the 1 ball and still give me a combo or carom possibility.

CD's shot.jpg