G. Mathews vs. J. Parica 1995 Roanoke

tylerdurden

Verified Member
It is hard to pick the cb spot in these pics, but I might just pocket the 2 and leaving him doubled or tripled up on his hanger and on the rail. What id also be looking to shoot, maybe a shot or two down the line, is that 7 15 combo and dropping all the way down on the rail. I like that shot but he seems a little flat on it here.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
There is a good chance to come off the 8, just hard enough to make or nudge out that corner ball and leave the CB in the jaws

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If Parica can see enough of the 7 ball to play the 7-15 ball combination with a soft roll that's the shot I would shoot. All that's needed with this choice is to move the 15 ball close to his pocket and open up his side. There's a built in safety with this choice if hit any where near decent, plus you can pocket the 15 ball as a bonus. If available, any other shot would be uncivilized.:D

Dr. Bill

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
One shot...

One shot...

.....would be to cross the two softly and hide the CB behind it by the top rail.....nice puzzle,cheers,Bob

timdog24

Verified Member
If that combo doesn't go, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't, Parica might billiard the one off the 5/9 and send the cue ball towards Grady's hole. He's gotta shoot at something here, even if it's straight up in the air. The balls are laying WAY too good for Grady to just try to double him up somewhere.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I would not be interested in any shot that does not move the ball in the jaws of Grady's pocket. JTP's shot, a kiss off the 8 ball, looks like my first choice. If not, then it looks like I could kick behind it off the short rail, thinning the stripe and then hitting the 10 with the cueball. It would leave a bank, so it is only an emergency idea, but I'm not going to leave the hanger where it is.

All Grady needs here is a place to start. This could be a short game if you let him have one.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If that combo doesn't go, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't, Parica might billiard the one off the 5/9 and send the cue ball towards Grady's hole. He's gotta shoot at something here, even if it's straight up in the air. The balls are laying WAY too good for Grady to just try to double him up somewhere.

Finally, a voice of reason. If I was staking Parica and he didnt fire all out at the 1 ball, that would end my participation in this match. There is even a possibility that he could get safe by coming under the balls by Gradys pocket. Whether he can get safe or not is meaningless anyway. He must go for the 1 ball.

I would shoot this myself, in my present condition even. What price do you think you could lay that Parica would miss the 1 ball? 7 to 5? 3 to 2? He would keep you broke with those odds.

I keep leaking, what to me is on the last page of the Secret One Pocket Handbook and it usually gets vilified and ignored. No skin off my nose. I dont need to learn it.

I learned this from watching great jail breakers like Bugs, Ronnie, Kelly, Artie B, and Eddie Taylor. One and all I am sure they would pop at the one in this spot. Seen 'em do it too many times.

Beard

Rationale to this move is available through private lessons only.

I should post the layout that Artie ran 8 and out on Jersey Red on. Red had 15 balls surrounding his hole. After that game Red was a cooked goose.

I have naturally forgotten how to post a WEI table again. Here is the link, however.

http://pool.bz/P/?@4ARqY4BYvQ4CHAM4...LTYk4MLIi4NWHI4OQLB1PMfI4jQLB3jXpa1kMfI4kSWo@

Artie sliced in the 15 and the cue ball worked its way through all the balls and ended up in front of Red's pocket with all the balls open and moved over to Artie's side.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I should post the layout that Artie ran 8 and out on Jersey Red on. Red had 15 balls surrounding his hole. After that game Red was a cooked goose.

Beard

Rationale to this move is available through private lessons only.

Here's your layout Freddy. It doesn't look like a carom shot though?:confused:

Dennis

fb.jpg

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I'm finding....

I'm finding....

....it hard to go all out on a shot like the 1 ball.Its 75-25 at best Im guessing.Let me ask this.Would you rather be shooting or would you rather your opponent was shooting?I like the shot some but I'm surprised Freddie would much at all.I like surprises so thanks,Jack

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
The 1 off the five is a big carom, with a good chance of getting and staying close if it misses. Cueball can carom off the high ball on opponents side and take out the hanger.

bstroud

Verified Member
I'm cutting in the 1 ball.

Any other shot is a give away.

Give yourself a chance to win.

Bill S.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
After...

After...

....reading the last 2 comments,especially NSGF's,I'm inclined to agree.Good work Freddie,cheers,James

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
....it hard to go all out on a shot like the 1 ball.Its 75-25 at best Im guessing.Let me ask this.Would you rather be shooting or would you rather your opponent was shooting?I like the shot some but I'm surprised Freddie would much at all.I like surprises so thanks,Jack

You guys have me figured all wrong. I am only a super squeezer when the game is even, or if I am ahead. When I am behind I start looking for moon shots.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The 1 off the five is a big carom, with a good chance of getting and staying close if it misses. Cueball can carom off the high ball on opponents side and take out the hanger.

Depending on how I feel, the 1 ball carom is a distinct possiblility also. It serves the same purpose as going for the cut but with a little less pressure. I would have to view the shot on a real table tho.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Finally, a voice of reason. If I was staking Parica and he didnt fire all out at the 1 ball, that would end my participation in this match. There is even a possibility that he could get safe by coming under the balls by Gradys pocket. Whether he can get safe or not is meaningless anyway. He must go for the 1 ball.

Depending on how I feel, the 1 ball carom is a distinct possiblility also. It serves the same purpose as going for the cut but with a little less pressure. I would have to view the shot on a real table tho.

Beard

Now I know why you posted the layout of AB cutting the 15 ball. I thought you already agreed with TD24 that the carom of the 1 ball was a good shot, now I realize you were speaking of cutting it in. You old guys:p:frus:sorry.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Now I know why you posted the layout of AB cutting the 15 ball. I thought you already agreed with TD24 that the carom of the 1 ball was a good shot, now I realize you were speaking of cutting it in. You old guys:p:frus:sorry.

Dennis
If the 7-15 balls combination is available it's clearly the correct shot. There's maybe at tops a 10% risk with shooting the shot, as opposed to a 60 to 70% risk shooting the 1 ball. Not only that but shooting the combo carries natural position for the 7 ball, cutting the 1 ball you're going to run into the 6 ball and don't figure to come up with another shot.

Now if the 7-15 balls combination isn't available I would shoot the 1 ball as a carom, to try to either move or pocket the 13 ball positioned in front of Grady's pocket. That shot to me is a much better shot than cutting at the 1 ball.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If the 7-15 balls combination is available it's clearly the correct shot. There's maybe at tops a 10% risk with shooting the shot, as opposed to a 60 to 70% risk shooting the 1 ball. Not only that but shooting the combo carries natural position for the 7 ball, cutting the 1 ball you're going to run into the 6 ball and don't figure to come up with another shot.

Now if the 7-15 balls combination isn't available I would shoot the 1 ball as a carom, to try to either move or pocket the 13 ball positioned in front of Grady's pocket. That shot to me is a much better shot than cutting at the 1 ball.

Dr. Bill

IF you could see it (the combo), are you telling me that you wont sell out the 9 ball rail first into the pocket under the 11 ball? It is a little hard to tell but the combo 9 into the 11 may even be available. 10% is not even close to a risk number.

Beard

I could possibly see Parica shooting the combo, but certainly not with the thought that he might get safe.