Shane's execution

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The most significant thing I came away with from my 5 days at Tunica, was the amazing executional skill of Shane Van Boning (sp?)

I watched him play a 1 ball 1pkt proposition game with Dr Bill for $1000 a game.
Two balls were on the spot and Dr Bill had cue ball in hand and only needed one ball to Shane's two. There was a stipulation that Dr Bill could not shoot the head-ball-drawing-into-the-pocket shot, but had to just play safe off of the first shot.

Billy played very good to start and got off 8 games (8k) winner. Since I was automatically in for good "jelly" I was happier than a West Coastie in Boys Town.

Shane doesnt really know the 1 ball end game as well as Billy, but what is so strong is that whatever he chooses to do he executes it perfectly. More perfectly than anything I have ever seen. He doesnt know many of the "trick" shots but he has common sense and can execute very intricate safeties and moves.

Anybody watching the game and trying to learn what to do at the end game wont learn as much as you would think, because the skill level required to execute Shane's choices is out of most players ranges. Actually, I learned some new end game replies, but the question is, dare I attempt to shoot them? I do know I need to practice shooting them first, as up until now I had always thought that the execution required for them was too risky. "Shane plays a style of end game that I am unfamiliar with."

After about 6 or 7 hours, Dr Bill got tired (who didnt know that?) but kept playing anyway and Shane won all 8 games back. (he did not get tired, but kept playing perfect)

Chris Gentile played him (Shane)1 ball 1 pkt head up for 1k a game. After a couple of hours Shane was up 7 or 8 games. The difference was, if Shane got any kind of shot at all he usually made it, difficulty be damned.

Beard

Jimmy B

Verified Member
The most significant thing I came away with from my 5 days at Tunica, was the amazing executional skill of Shane Van Boning (sp?)

I watched him play a 1 ball 1pkt proposition game with Dr Bill for $1000 a game.
Two balls were on the spot and Dr Bill had cue ball in hand and only needed one ball to Shane's two. There was a stipulation that Dr Bill could not shoot the head-ball-drawing-into-the-pocket shot, but had to just play safe off of the first shot.

Billy played very good to start and got off 8 games (8k) winner. Since I was automatically in for good "jelly" I was happier than a West Coastie in Boys Town.

Shane doesnt really know the 1 ball end game as well as Billy, but what is so strong is that whatever he chooses to do he executes it perfectly. More perfectly than anything I have ever seen. He doesnt know many of the "trick" shots but he has common sense and can execute very intricate safeties and moves.

Anybody watching the game and trying to learn what to do at the end game wont learn as much as you would think, because the skill level required to execute Shane's choices is out of most players ranges. Actually, I learned some new end game replies, but the question is, dare I attempt to shoot them? I do know I need to practice shooting them first, as up until now I had always thought that the execution required for them was too risky. "Shane plays a style of end game that I am unfamiliar with."

After about 6 or 7 hours, Dr Bill got tired (who didnt know that?) but kept playing anyway and Shane won all 8 games back. (he did not get tired, but kept playing perfect)

Chris Gentile played him (Shane)1 ball 1 pkt head up for 1k a game. After a couple of hours Shane was up 7 or 8 games. The difference was, if Shane got any kind of shot at all he usually made it, difficulty be damned.

Beard

This is fascinating to hear, Beard. Gulfport Doc talks about this game in one of his trip reports (Tunica Tidbits). It is reminiscent of the time Beanie challenged anyone at Johnston City to play one ball one pocket and Eddie Taylor got up and taxed his ass. But this shows what kind of sport and gambler Dr. Bill is. If I had been up 8 games after so many hours lke that, I would have feigned total exhaustion or some other disorder and told Shane that we would have to resume later. Then he could have rested up and if Shane didn't like that, I would of told him to go fu*k hisself. I saw the last half of the match on the ten footer between Earl and Shane last nite. Earl beat Shanes ass again. ha ha ha....

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
This is fascinating to hear, Beard. Gulfport Doc talks about this game in one of his trip reports (Tunica Tidbits). It is reminiscent of the time Beanie challenged anyone at Johnston City to play one ball one pocket and Eddie Taylor got up and taxed his ass. But this shows what kind of sport and gambler Dr. Bill is. If I had been up 8 games after so many hours lke that, I would have feigned total exhaustion or some other disorder and told Shane that we would have to resume later. Then he could have rested up and if Shane didn't like that, I would of told him to go fu*k hisself. I saw the last half of the match on the ten footer between Earl and Shane last nite. Earl beat Shanes ass again. ha ha ha....

The SVB vs Earl, was that one ball or two ball 1P? I would find it hard to believe that Earl could beat SVB in 1P.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The SVB vs Earl, was that one ball or two ball 1P? I would find it hard to believe that Earl could beat SVB in 1P.

No Tom, it was the 10 footer mini (16 players) 10 ball. SVB had Earl 14 to 12, and missed one 7 ball, and two 8 balls (almost straight in) to let Earl win it 15-14. He uncharateristically GAVE it away..I think Earls constant exchanges with the crowd really gets to him.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No Tom, it was the 10 footer mini (16 players) 10 ball. SVB had Earl 14 to 12, and missed one 7 ball, and two 8 balls (almost straight in) to let Earl win it 15-14. He uncharateristically GAVE it away..I think Earls constant exchanges with the crowd really gets to him.

Earl was at the next table playing Alex and running that chatter and dragging Alex into it. I was playing Mark Cavalier from N.O., a very good player, and I went over to Sir Earl and told him in my usual loud voice to take all that bullshit and flush it somewhere else. Fortunately, that ended that jabber. Alex apologized and Earl just dummied up.

I would have no problem with Earl's conversation if he and I were playing each other, because I can give as good as I get.

Beard

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Earl was at the next table playing Alex and running that chatter and dragging Alex into it. I was playing Mark Cavalier from N.O., a very good player, and I went over to Sir Earl and told him in my usual loud voice to take all that bullshit and flush it somewhere else. Fortunately, that ended that jabber. Alex apologized and Earl just dummied up.

I would have no problem with Earl's conversation if he and I were playing each other, because I can give as good as I get.

Beard

Hi Fred, How did you like playing Mark? I guess that was in Banks. I have played Mark many times over the years, he has real natural talent. I wish I could have made it to Tunica.

Next time I come to Chicago I'd like to meet up.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Great report Mr Beard.

I think Shane has way the best of it playing most players 1 ball 1P head up. Because his fire power will over come anyone's moving over time. Hiding from him is impossible(almost) he banks so good he can come with shots that most people just dont have the stroke for. he practices that stuff all the time.

Efren might have a chance in that game because he has lots of tricky shots in his bag, i watched him come with a shot I never saw in my life 2 times in the same rack here in Santa Monica 2 days ago. It was the last ball on the table and was in the jaws of the other players side up table and he kicked in behind it, and made it. I know the kick from behind shot that one rails it across to your own hoe-it was a different version of that shot, he shot it in the middle of the game and last ball on the box. the guy he was playing who is super strong never saw it either(that version of that shot).

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hi Fred, How did you like playing Mark? I guess that was in Banks. I have played Mark many times over the years, he has real natural talent. I wish I could have made it to Tunica.

Next time I come to Chicago I'd like to meet up.

I liked playing him because I won. He seemed ok. He has a big stroke and can make long hard shots. I know that because that is all that I left him. He had me 2 games to 1, I banked 5 and out to tie it up and then 2 and out, with him in the one hole to win it.

Beard

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Then, what execution does in my estimation is gives you confidence of course. But here is a little different twist.... I think confidence is almost everything at those top levels. So, if you have the confidence, you are also picking the right shots. Many times people dont link confidence with strong thinking and shot selection, but I think they are inexorably linked, perhaps more than any two things in pool.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Why doesn't Shane just turn his hearing aids off when playing Earl? Of course, Earl should be sanctioned for that behavior. It's nothing but a shark.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Why doesn't Shane just turn his hearing aids off when playing Earl? Of course, Earl should be sanctioned for that behavior. It's nothing but a shark.

I think the key is to do him the way The Kid, Landon Shuffett, did last night. Do not ever talk to Earl ever. Not before the match. Not during the match. Not after the match. If you ever talk to him, he figures he can talk from now on. Wait until he retires from the game, then maybe talk to the guy. Also do not ever think about him either. What a match Landon played. He didn't give away nothing. Talk about birthdays. What a great present that was for Landons father, who had one the same day as Petie. That was 'A Night To Remember". Hell I think I will send off for that aiming system shit............naw.......

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I agree with you, Fred. Shane is a phenomenon. It's like the Canadian Mounted Police: they always get their man. Sooner or later, he gets some remote shot that would be a Hail Mary to most of us, and he MAKES it. After awhile, a guy realizes he can't make any mistakes whatsoever.

When Billy is fresh, I still like his chances at that match-up. As you know, I sat there quite awhile, and was very impressed with Cardone's moving.

BTW in that 1 ball 1P match between Chris and Shane, Chris went on to lose 17K at 1K per! Surprised he held on that long... Who knows, maybe that'll be good advertising for other prospective opponents.:)

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I agree with you, Fred. Shane is a phenomenon. It's like the Canadian Mounted Police: they always get their man. Sooner or later, he gets some remote shot that would be a Hail Mary to most of us, and he MAKES it. After awhile, a guy realizes he can't make any mistakes whatsoever.

When Billy is fresh, I still like his chances at that match-up. As you know, I sat there quite awhile, and was very impressed with Cardone's moving.

BTW in that 1 ball 1P match between Chris and Shane, Chris went on to lose 17K at 1K per! Surprised he held on that long... Who knows, maybe that'll be good advertising for other prospective opponents.:)

Doc

I watched that for awhile also. I left when Chris was 7 or 8 games stuck. I could see that it was hopeless for Chris. Nothing against Chris's game. Chris plays great, but this guy plays near-perfect.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Just got back from Tunica and my old body is, well, old and very tired. In reference to Shane's one ball one pocket prowess, he's the best there is, period. I believe Shane can easily beat any one in the world playing the game, simply because of his ball striking skills. One ball one pocket isn't as difficult a game as most people would think, there is basically about 4 or 5 shots that are needed to know, and Shane knows them well. Shane moves better than anyone because he hits the balls so accurate which in turn enables him to play just about perfect speed with both the object ball and the cue ball You find yourself regularly shooting off the end rail looking at a ball that's 8 feet away:eek: He also hits his banks accurately, and with good speed. Plus whenever you leave him a spot shot he never misses it, and then makes shots you think he's not supposed to make:frus. But Jimmy B is right when he said that I should of quit winner and played the next day:( But I did have fun playing.

Dr. Bill

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Dr. Bill....are you saying shane is the best onepocket player in the world or the best one ball onepocket player in the world?

I've been a shane fan for about 4 years now and am very impressed how he jumped right into onepocket and banks the way he did. The guy picks up on everything and you know he practiced the shots for those games with the same intensity as he did all those years with rotation.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I agree with Billy's assessment of Shane's 1P game. Several years ago I predicted that Shane would become the the best 1P player in the world if he loved the game, because he certainly has the talent, the eye, the feel, and the flawless mechanics. One has to love the game in order to put in the time to learn all the peculiarities about this game, and what to do in so many different situations.

I was chatting with Billy and Shane in the food court one day. Out of the blue, I asked him directly if he loved playing one-pocket. He looked at me with a positive look on his face, and stated that he did.

So if he's not now, he soon will be, the greatest 1P player on Earth.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just got back from Tunica and my old body is, well, old and very tired. In reference to Shane's one ball one pocket prowess, he's the best there is, period. I believe Shane can easily beat any one in the world playing the game, simply because of his ball striking skills. One ball one pocket isn't as difficult a game as most people would think, there is basically about 4 or 5 shots that are needed to know, and Shane knows them well. Shane moves better than anyone because he hits the balls so accurate which in turn enables him to play just about perfect speed with both the object ball and the cue ball You find yourself regularly shooting off the end rail looking at a ball that's 8 feet away:eek: He also hits his banks accurately, and with good speed. Plus whenever you leave him a spot shot he never misses it, and then makes shots you think he's not supposed to make:frus. But Jimmy B is right when he said that I should of quit winner and played the next day:( But I did have fun playing.

Dr. Bill

Well, we do agree on something. I would not bet on anybody playing Shane 1 ball 1 pkt. That includes Scott and Efren. When I watched Shane play Billy and Chris I was treated to a brand new 1 ball 1pkt game. There are a couple fancy shots he might not know, but no matter, everything he chooses to do he does. You cant beat his eternal 9 ft away, cue ball on the rail leaves. One after the other, after the other.

I couldnt even fault Billys play for the first 5 hrs getting played 2 to 1 and the break. He really played well to get ahead.

I have figured out how he (Shane)_does it, and this addresses another thread on here where they were talking about how the American players dont do their due diligence when it comes to improving their game.

He must practice by himself, 1 ball 1pkt and each situation that comes up he studies and then works out strokes and speeds to solve each layout.

After watching him I tried it myself and lo and behold, I worked out how to execute some of those fabulous long two railers that he hits perfectly. At 71, I learned something!

beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i have a question and maybe im being a stickler
but i thought 1 ball one pocket was played with one ball placed on the middle diamond on the foot rail and the player breaking breaks from behind the head string
my understanding was that billy and shane played starting with 2 balls on the spot and billy couldnt try to make the front ball in the corner or 2 rail the back ball on the break
thats 2 ball one pocket. isnt it???
did chris and shane play with 1 or 2 balls?
was there a spot??