Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunica, Donkey's point of view!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Day 2, 3rd and 4th matches

    Thanks Jimmy B. I will try your tip on this post.

    Well Dr. Bill(wincardona) you have seen me before and in Tunica, as I have watched you gamble in Mobile, I was the short chubby guy that got hustled Thurs. night in the gambling room by what I thought was a backer, I was giving him 11/7(donkey move) for $100 a game mainly to pick up a couple of bucks while showing him I play hard just in case he might want to help me in the future. I lost 3 games and quit. Then scooter started barking at me so I barked back, you was sitting in the middle with Ronnie I think. With my money situation(in the negatives) I ALWAYS need help, I love to play one pocket, and I play hard for the money, but I'm to nice to do what I have to do to get in them big money spots. I match up to tight(60/40 the worst of it) for me to get anyone to put up 2/1. It was the last night there for me and I really wanted to do something, I was up $1700 gambling and tourney money so it did not hurt to bad, + $750 for all week in Tunica is way better than this donkey could have ever imagined.

    My 3rd match was a guy from Missouri I think John something could not pronounce his last name, he is an older gentleman, nice guy but he could never get anything going, and I was never in any trouble in the match. I win that one 3-0 pretty quick. After this match is when I started thinking that I could actually place in the money, because in 07' at the Derby it was the same way 26th place got me $500, that was my goal after this match, with the field being about half in Tunica I thought I was getting close.

    My 4th match was my favorite of the tourney hands down not because I won but because I played Mr. Buddy Hall the man, thats it, the best in my book nothing else to say. I know he is on his fair well tour but I'm going to tell u he put me in spots differently than any other great players I've played besides Cliff J. His cart and being really slow to get around is very deceiving because he has forgot more moves over the years, than I will ever know. I played him one other time in 05' at Grady's event In Gulfport, he won 3-0 but it was a little tighter than the score showed. I had just started playing one pocket back then, and in the 1st game I scratch on the break, after a little moving he left me a window and I started running like a 9 baller, I run 8 and don't play shape on the scratch ball(forgot about it), that was it for me he gets that game one ball at a time, I was done he wins the next 2 easy. BUT THATS WHY I'M HERE, I HAVE LOVED ONE POCKET SINCE! Tunica was are long awaited rematch, I played good but took him to lightly and he gets the 2/1 game advantage. I stayed focused, and he missed a few balls in the end of a long match and I was able to win the match. I know I did not beat THE BUDDY HALL, but i did beat Buddy Hall.
    Best player in the poolroom. "Hey you want to play some Onepocket?"

    Me. "Sure"

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by wgcp View Post
      true but he wasn't posting on the site then...

      not rocket science to connect the dots...
      jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
        Thanks Jimmy B. I will try your tip on this post.

        Well Dr. Bill(wincardona) you have seen me before and in Tunica, as I have watched you gamble in Mobile, I was the short chubby guy that got hustled Thurs. night in the gambling room by what I thought was a backer, I was giving him 11/7(donkey move) for $100 a game mainly to pick up a couple of bucks while showing him I play hard just in case he might want to help me in the future. I lost 3 games and quit. Then scooter started barking at me so I barked back, you was sitting in the middle with Ronnie I think. With my money situation(in the negatives) I ALWAYS need help, I love to play one pocket, and I play hard for the money, but I'm to nice to do what I have to do to get in them big money spots. I match up to tight(60/40 the worst of it) for me to get anyone to put up 2/1. It was the last night there for me and I really wanted to do something, I was up $1700 gambling and tourney money so it did not hurt to bad, + $750 for all week in Tunica is way better than this donkey could have ever imagined.

        My 3rd match was a guy from Missouri I think John something could not pronounce his last name, he is an older gentleman, nice guy but he could never get anything going, and I was never in any trouble in the match. I win that one 3-0 pretty quick. After this match is when I started thinking that I could actually place in the money, because in 07' at the Derby it was the same way 26th place got me $500, that was my goal after this match, with the field being about half in Tunica I thought I was getting close.

        My 4th match was my favorite of the tourney hands down not because I won but because I played Mr. Buddy Hall the man, thats it, the best in my book nothing else to say. I know he is on his fair well tour but I'm going to tell u he put me in spots differently than any other great players I've played besides Cliff J. His cart and being really slow to get around is very deceiving because he has forgot more moves over the years, than I will ever know. I played him one other time in 05' at Grady's event In Gulfport, he won 3-0 but it was a little tighter than the score showed. I had just started playing one pocket back then, and in the 1st game I scratch on the break, after a little moving he left me a window and I started running like a 9 baller, I run 8 and don't play shape on the scratch ball(forgot about it), that was it for me he gets that game one ball at a time, I was done he wins the next 2 easy. BUT THATS WHY I'M HERE, I HAVE LOVED ONE POCKET SINCE! Tunica was are long awaited rematch, I played good but took him to lightly and he gets the 2/1 game advantage. I stayed focused, and he missed a few balls in the end of a long match and I was able to win the match. I know I did not beat THE BUDDY HALL, but i did beat Buddy Hall.
        thats a great experience to relay to us
        i got to meet /talk /get an autograph/ picture/watch buddy hall at tunica
        mark coats who is our local pro/shortstop in vero beach fl
        grew up in oklahoma and has told me stories about buddy and him and buddy
        when i introduced myself to buddy and mentioned marks name you should have seen his eyes light up
        "blast from the past"
        although the matches i watched of of buddy showed time hasnt treated him well it still was an honor to meet him
        during one match he commented to a freind who was watching
        after missing a ball
        " i couldnt hit the ass of a cow with a hand full of gravel".....

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
          Thanks Jimmy B. I will try your tip on this post.

          Good Job

          I match up to tight(60/40 the worst of it) for me to get anyone to put up 2/1.

          I've not been staked much, but have gambled a lot.
          Remember they're only laying 2/1 the first game, or set
          Rod.
          P.S. Think about it.
          Rod.

          Rodney Stephens.
          (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
            Thanks Jimmy B. I will try your tip on this post.

            Well Dr. Bill(wincardona) you have seen me before and in Tunica, as I have watched you gamble in Mobile, I was the short chubby guy that got hustled Thurs. night in the gambling room by what I thought was a backer, I was giving him 11/7(donkey move) for $100 a game mainly to pick up a couple of bucks while showing him I play hard just in case he might want to help me in the future. I lost 3 games and quit. Then scooter started barking at me so I barked back, you was sitting in the middle with Ronnie I think. With my money situation(in the negatives) I ALWAYS need help, I love to play one pocket, and I play hard for the money, but I'm to nice to do what I have to do to get in them big money spots. I match up to tight(60/40 the worst of it) for me to get anyone to put up 2/1. It was the last night there for me and I really wanted to do something, I was up $1700 gambling and tourney money so it did not hurt to bad, + $750 for all week in Tunica is way better than this donkey could have ever imagined.

            My 3rd match was a guy from Missouri I think John something could not pronounce his last name, he is an older gentleman, nice guy but he could never get anything going, and I was never in any trouble in the match. I win that one 3-0 pretty quick. After this match is when I started thinking that I could actually place in the money, because in 07' at the Derby it was the same way 26th place got me $500, that was my goal after this match, with the field being about half in Tunica I thought I was getting close.

            My 4th match was my favorite of the tourney hands down not because I won but because I played Mr. Buddy Hall the man, thats it, the best in my book nothing else to say. I know he is on his fair well tour but I'm going to tell u he put me in spots differently than any other great players I've played besides Cliff J. His cart and being really slow to get around is very deceiving because he has forgot more moves over the years, than I will ever know. I played him one other time in 05' at Grady's event In Gulfport, he won 3-0 but it was a little tighter than the score showed. I had just started playing one pocket back then, and in the 1st game I scratch on the break, after a little moving he left me a window and I started running like a 9 baller, I run 8 and don't play shape on the scratch ball(forgot about it), that was it for me he gets that game one ball at a time, I was done he wins the next 2 easy. BUT THATS WHY I'M HERE, I HAVE LOVED ONE POCKET SINCE! Tunica was are long awaited rematch, I played good but took him to lightly and he gets the 2/1 game advantage. I stayed focused, and he missed a few balls in the end of a long match and I was able to win the match. I know I did not beat THE BUDDY HALL, but i did beat Buddy Hall.
            Jason, I don't recall watching you when you were playing on Thursday night, as far as you gambling with people/players/backers to show your speed to be staked in future matches goes I wouldn't put too much faith in getting a square shake. Matching up with pool players (hustlers) is a tough proposition.....if you know what I mean... You seem to be able to play pretty good based off of your report, but you need to slow your eagerness to play down a bit and start matching up better 50-50 is good for starters. Good luck.

            Dr. Bill

            Comment


            • #21
              Jason thanks for your story!

              T

              Comment


              • #22
                My 5th match

                First I would like to say to Dr. Bill(wincardona), thank you for the advice, coming from a retired hustler, now blogger/commentator I don't really know if your still on the job or not though, saying that you need 9/7 stuff, because I would not even play you WITH 9/7 .GETTING 10/7 is where we would could start, if I could get the backing because I know I'm not in your price range on my own money. When I was younger I was a bigger donkey then now, If you was to ask people in my area about me now, TIGHT, and NITTY are used ALL THE TIME as apposed to FISH, which having a family now compared to being a single kid living at home with mommy will change the way u gamble or you will not have a family long, much rather have my beautiful family than the respect of a bunch of hustlers.


                My 5th match was my toughest win(AND MY LAST), because this guy plays closer to my speed than anybody that I faced the whole tourny. He is a shortstop and I'm not going to say his name because he is not TV table known yet(NOT LIKE I AM), but I'm thinking he would not like me to put him out there like that. For a few years I have been kinda ducking this guy in a way, I want 9/7 and he don't want to work that hard for that few hundred dollar score. I think I can play him 8/7ish, if I played my perfect game, but that only happens when all the stars line up(NEVER), and I feel good knowing I know my limits(SOME WHAT). I found myself hoping he did good in the mini tourny the night before, it got over about 5am, our match was at 10am, he got 4th, and was there on time though. I did not play in it for that reason, I was doing so good in main tourny, that I felt I needed to rest for my big day 3, never before has that happened to me it felt great(ALMOST LIKE A REAL POOL PLAYER).

                I knew that the first game was going to be the one, and it was, if I win I'm going to beat him, if I lose it he will win the set. It had it all good shooting, bad shooting, lucky safes, great safes, everything you want in a good one pocket game. It lasted about a hour, while the last two didn't last 30min combined. I can't recall any shots from that match maybe because I was trying so hard to beat him that 1st game the rest is a blurr, but when it was over he did say to me that he was not going to try and come looking for me any more, that made me feel better than beating an older Buddy Hall, or two champions that took me lightly(or was not using there right equipment).
                My next two matches I lose to two great players but I was in them, STAY TUNED!!!
                Best player in the poolroom. "Hey you want to play some Onepocket?"

                Me. "Sure"

                Comment


                • #23
                  Welcome to the site 1 hole nut! I was typing this on my mobile and accidently typed nit instead of nut, thought for a moment and fixed.

                  Always nice to have onepocket players who like to type come aboard!!!

                  We got a genuine wack pack here and there's always spots open

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
                    First I would like to say to Dr. Bill(wincardona), thank you for the advice, coming from a retired hustler, ( Hustlers never retire, they just age like every one else) now blogger/commentator I don't really know if your still on the job or not though, saying that you need 9/7 stuff, because I would not even play you WITH 9/7 .GETTING 10/7 is where we would could start,( I see that you are taking my advice on ...matching up better... if I could get the backing because I know I'm not in your price range on my own money. When I was younger I was a bigger donkey then now, If you was to ask people in my area about me now, TIGHT, and NITTY are used ALL THE TIME as apposed to FISH, which having a family now compared to being a single kid living at home with mommy will change the way u gamble or you will not have a family long, much rather have my beautiful family than the respect of a bunch of hustlers. ( But you can have both)


                    My 5th match was my toughest win(AND MY LAST), because this guy plays closer to my speed than anybody that I faced the whole tourny. He is a shortstop and I'm not going to say his name because he is not TV table known yet(NOT LIKE I AM), but I'm thinking he would not like me to put him out there like that. For a few years I have been kinda ducking this guy in a way, I want 9/7 and he don't want to work that hard for that few hundred dollar score. I think I can play him 8/7ish, if I played my perfect game, but that only happens when all the stars line up(NEVER), and I feel good knowing I know my limits(SOME WHAT). I found myself hoping he did good in the mini tourny the night before, it got over about 5am, our match was at 10am, he got 4th, and was there on time though. I did not play in it for that reason, I was doing so good in main tourny, that I felt I needed to rest for my big day 3, never before has that happened to me it felt great(ALMOST LIKE A REAL POOL PLAYER).

                    I knew that the first game was going to be the one, and it was, if I win I'm going to beat him, if I lose it he will win the set. It had it all good shooting, bad shooting, lucky safes, great safes, everything you want in a good one pocket game. It lasted about a hour, while the last two didn't last 30min combined. I can't recall any shots from that match maybe because I was trying so hard to beat him that 1st game the rest is a blurr, but when it was over he did say to me that he was not going to try and come looking for me any more, that made me feel better than beating an older Buddy Hall, or two champions that took me lightly(or was not using there right equipment).
                    My next two matches I lose to two great players but I was in them, STAY TUNED!!!
                    Looks like you have morals and an understanding of how things work both at home and when playing pool, keep doing the things you know are right and continue to follow the advice from people you respect. Trust what I say, i'm not only an old hustler, i'm a doctor as well.

                    Dr. Bill

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      6th match Ryan Stone

                      Sorry I have not posted in awhile been busy trying to make some money before(working) and during the annual Mobile tourney(gambling). I did okay BUT not as good as I should have done(WHOLE DIFFERENT THREAD ALTOGETHER)!

                      I knew I was in the money and when I saw that I had to play Ryan I was happy and not so all in one, we played in 07' at the Derby if I would have beat him then I would have got to play Ralf Souquet for like 17th place, but besides the fact that he is better than me something happened in the first game that did not help my chances in the match. During the 1st game the ball count was 5 or 6 to 2 his favor, as I was trying to mount a come back I was down on a long rail straight back bank and Larry Nevel with his headphones in bends down on the table behind me and his butt literally shot my shot for me, yep I missed, just like if I was gambling I just said go ahead Ryan. I probably had other options, but never having played in a big tourney before I did not pursue them. I lost that game, and the set 3 to 1. I heard later I think that Ryan placed higher than SVB in all 3 events that year, so I was not too disappointed in 26th place for my 1st big tourney.

                      I talked to Ryan a bit before our match, and he did not remember 07', O BUT I DID, and i was super pumped to try and beat him this year, but I was also super nervous, more so than in any other match so far. The 1st game was back and fourth for a bit then he just out moved me for the win, then I get the 2nd game it was a tight down to last ball. After me getting it even I started to think I had a chance, and thats all it takes for me to go into straight dog it mode. I need 3 and I have two balls within 3" of my hole and he makes a game losing shot by making a ball and turning the cue ball loose where it stops in inch away from the spot, and when he puts up the ball that went in the side the cue ball and spot ball where about 1/4" away from one another, leaving me a off angle combo, but they were so close that I was worried about fouling, being nervous and not wanting to foul I missed the combo, then on his shot he clears my pocket completely.STICK A FORK IN ME I WAS DONE! My mental game has beat me almost as much as my matching up skills, and even though I have gotten better at one pocket since 07', mentally I still can't beat myself if U know what I mean.

                      Yes I wanted to win but if I had to pick the guy that I wanted to beat me it is Ryan, he is a class act, great playing, champ. Good shooting Ryan.

                      Straight to the buy back booth I go to get to play Corey Deuel, Stay Tuned!!!
                      Best player in the poolroom. "Hey you want to play some Onepocket?"

                      Me. "Sure"

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        For those who forgot (as I did), Jason is referring to Ryan Stone-- the 2nd place finisher.

                        BTW, our friend from Gulfport, Benny Conway, Jr., who says he "can't play one-pocket" finished at the 5th level, tied with Ike Runnels, Darren Appleton and Danny Smith!

                        Doc

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                          For those who forgot (as I did), Jason is referring to Ryan Stone-- the 2nd place finisher.

                          BTW, our friend from Gulfport, Benny Conway, Jr., who says he "can't play one-pocket" finished at the 5th level, tied with Ike Runnels, Darren Appleton and Danny Smith!

                          Doc

                          Hey Doc...I played Benny Jr. some One Pocket 11 yrs. ago at Fatso's Billiards in Tampa Fla. when I spent that winter traveling around Fla...

                          - Ghost
                          jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by 1 HOLE NUT View Post
                            Sorry I have not posted in awhile been busy trying to make some money before(working) and during the annual Mobile tourney(gambling). I did okay BUT not as good as I should have done(WHOLE DIFFERENT THREAD ALTOGETHER)!

                            I knew I was in the money and when I saw that I had to play Ryan I was happy and not so all in one, we played in 07' at the Derby if I would have beat him then I would have got to play Ralf Souquet for like 17th place, but besides the fact that he is better than me something happened in the first game that did not help my chances in the match. During the 1st game the ball count was 5 or 6 to 2 his favor, as I was trying to mount a come back I was down on a long rail straight back bank and Larry Nevel with his headphones in bends down on the table behind me and his butt literally shot my shot for me, yep I missed, just like if I was gambling I just said go ahead Ryan. I probably had other options, but never having played in a big tourney before I did not pursue them. I lost that game, and the set 3 to 1. I heard later I think that Ryan placed higher than SVB in all 3 events that year, so I was not too disappointed in 26th place for my 1st big tourney.

                            I talked to Ryan a bit before our match, and he did not remember 07', O BUT I DID, and i was super pumped to try and beat him this year, but I was also super nervous, more so than in any other match so far. The 1st game was back and fourth for a bit then he just out moved me for the win, then I get the 2nd game it was a tight down to last ball. After me getting it even I started to think I had a chance, and thats all it takes for me to go into straight dog it mode. I need 3 and I have two balls within 3" of my hole and he makes a game losing shot by making a ball and turning the cue ball loose where it stops in inch away from the spot, and when he puts up the ball that went in the side the cue ball and spot ball where about 1/4" away from one another, leaving me a off angle combo, but they were so close that I was worried about fouling, being nervous and not wanting to foul I missed the combo, then on his shot he clears my pocket completely.STICK A FORK IN ME I WAS DONE! My mental game has beat me almost as much as my matching up skills, and even though I have gotten better at one pocket since 07', mentally I still can't beat myself if U know what I mean.

                            Yes I wanted to win but if I had to pick the guy that I wanted to beat me it is Ryan, he is a class act, great playing, champ. Good shooting Ryan.

                            Straight to the buy back booth I go to get to play Corey Deuel, Stay Tuned!!!
                            Good description 1HN. Interesting, because I thought ear music was not allowed during matches -- but maybe that is at the US Open One Pocket, not DCC/Southern Classic
                            "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                            -- Strawberry Brooks

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                              Hey Doc...I played Benny Jr. some One Pocket 11 yrs. ago at Fatso's Billiards in Tampa Fla. when I spent that winter traveling around Fla...
                              Well, he probably hasn't changed much. He is a jaw-dropping shot maker who will almost always go for a low percentage shot-- and then usually make it! Maybe that tendency comes from a genetic predisposition from his father, Benny "Goose" Conway. His shooting style reminds me of the way we used to play 9-ball in the "shoot out" days, where guys went for everything. I think it's fair to say that Benny, Jr. is very antsy. The funny part is that when he's positively forced into a corner, and has to play safe, he's very good at it.

                              Conway aside, it seems to me that many of the young guys are starting to see the virtue of "moving" in 1P. My guess is that it's because: 1. They see Shane and Ochoa doing it, and 2. They get tired of getting beat by lesser ball pocketers, who do know how to move...

                              Doc

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                7th and final match (Corey Deuel)

                                After I lost to Ryan I was thinking that I was just going to buy back in to get the next round money, at this point in the tourney there is usually only One pocket monsters left, but I heard that a couple local shortstops were left that I've played and did well against before, Benny Conway Jr., and Daniel McKinney(Lil D), I was hoping to draw them, but I drew Corey instead. Actually after I lost to Corey, Lil D beats him and comes in 5th, while Benny comes in 10th, so my outcome was most likely already set.

                                Getting to play Corey was like getting to play catch with your favorite baseball player. I was a bit star struck to be on the same table with him, I know Buddy Hall is a living legend, but Corey came out when I was starting my pool journey, and he was winning what seemed like every tourney he was in.

                                When we started I thought to myself ok Corey get this over quick and painless, but in the first game I was getting more chances than I expected, and came out winner. Wow I got a shot at this is what went though my mind then. After the 1st game Corey come up to me and ask if he can clean the balls with a wet rag, I said go ahead. So I go sit by my hometown buddys that was sweating my match, and yalls very own Col. Bille Miller says to me that he heard somewhere that Corey does that to shark people, and also to compose himself. I have heard of the silicon on the balls and stuff, but I watched him put water on a clean rag, and I would rather play with clean balls anyway. I even remember telling Mr. Bille that if he has to do that I got him right where I want him.

                                After I made some donkey moves, and he made some champion moves he gets the next 2 games, and I was not as happy watching him clean them balls as was after the 1st game. In the 4th game he gets a 6 to 2 ball count lead, and leaves me a shot that made me think i got to go for it.(hope yall get this visual)The cue was by my hole, I had a ball on the rail just on this side of my side pocket, and what I thought was a shoot able ball on the rail in the middle of the table, I could have banked it but I thought I would turn whitey lose, so I decided to back kick it 1 rail at my hole thinking the cue ball would hide behind the other balls on my side up table. I hit so bad that the cue ball comes back to me straight in my hole, he wins easily for there. Maybe the ball was a little to far off the rail or I put to much spin on cue ball or both, or there was to much shit on the balls HA HA just kidding.

                                In passing after our match, we got to talking about the match and he made me feel like a pool player instead of a donkey, he said I shot some shots really good , and he remember mostly all of the tough spots in the match, I am going to start calling him Mr. 4000, because he is 10 times the true professional that some of them are. I hope these pros understand that it takes ALOT of lucky shots combined with some fearless(NOT HAVING TO SWEAT THE ROAD)good shooting. I feel like it is great to play in tourneys with the very best, and without us donkeys the paydays would be even softer, if that is even possible(it is).

                                Well that was my donkey point of view on my One pocket matches at the 1st annual Tunica Southern Classic, I would have played in all events but i could not afford it, because I want this event to come back down south for many more years.

                                Hope yall enjoyed it, let me know if yall want to hear about all the money I SHOULD have won in Mobile at there big tourney.
                                Best player in the poolroom. "Hey you want to play some Onepocket?"

                                Me. "Sure"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X