bucktooth

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That will be a very unique honor, as I am mentioned in Buddy's, Grady's, Alfie's, and everybody elses books..:p...Could there be jealousy involved, because you're NOT ?..:rolleyes:..Are you sure you are wise in mentioning this ?..Think of the loss in $ale$, from my thousands of fans..:eek: (or as Mr.PC would say.."Don't cut off your face, to spite your nose").;)

SuperDuck

PS..Thats OK though..Can I pre-order one for myself...(only if its under $3, incl. UPS shipping)...You know I like your [sic] Stories..:)
...Hey, wait a minute, isn't it already a 'work of fiction' ???..:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sorry, but I am well covered in Grady's, LeBlanc's, Robin's, Jay Helfert and Steve the Lizard's books. The Lizard was a Texan if I am not mistaken, and I am not, and he didnt give you a line, but waxed effusively about moi.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I totally agree. I can't hardly wait each day to open this thread. My eyes are rolling too.
P.S. I've got some Bucktooth stories too but they're staying with me.

I have several more too Frank, that are NOT for public consumption..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Likewise,Im sure.....

Likewise,Im sure.....

.....BUT......cmon Frank,give up a story,just one,please............how about a half??We'll owe you the rest of what ever you want under a yard or two.....

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
You can always tell when da tooth is in da room, you cant hear yerself think. For the nuts, he's the best action on the West Coast.:heh:heh

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I will now chip in with my first encounter with Richard "Bucktooth" Cook. I am sure I told this before, somewhere. It will be in the new book anyway.

Years back he came into Bensingers. I didn’t know him at the time, and he asked if anyone wanted to play One-pocket for $100 a game. He also asked for a 9 to 7 spot. In those days anybody I didn't know that came into Bensingers could get 8 to 7. 9 to 7 to a stranger was a stretch, but I figured I'd only shoot two barrels at him.
Early in the first game, I moved a bunch of balls in front of my pocket and shipped him up-table. Without hesitating, he jumped up and popped in a long tough shot, completely disregarding my loaded pocket. The table we were playing on, table 24, was brutally tough, and the shot he made was low percentage. At that point I stopped the action, put my cue on the table, and proceeded to chastise him.
I told him if he wanted to continue getting the premium spot of 9 to 7 he had better forget about shooting those kind of disrespectful shots, and the next time I load up and ship him up- table he had better act like a guy needing a two ball spot, and look to play safe, or I would discontinue the aforementioned spot. This forced the 'Tooth to try and win by stalling only, which with my speed then was impossible. He went for four or five games before he gave in to the futility of his situation.
Once I got winner, if he would have opened up, I would have quit anyway, and he eventually realized that. The next day I wouldn't give him the same game. You could have grilled hamburgers on his head when I backed away from the 9 to7. Ever since then, whenever we run into each other, he acts like he doesn’t know me.

Beard

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
What's with these people who have stories, but won't tell them? Do we have some posters almost ready to come out of the closet? :heh:eek:

glee

Verified Member
What's with these people who have stories, but won't tell them? Do we have some posters almost ready to come out of the closet? :heh:eek:[/QUOi vapros, I will tell about a session between SJD and the Tooth, it took place in early 1961 at the Circus Billiards in San Jose. The session lasted about 27 hours and after about 18 hours we were stuck about 3K. Our last money was tucked away in the toe of my shoe and after fifteen minutes of pleading in the rest room Toothie fired our last barrels back and turned the situation around.
While Toothie was on the comeback trail he almost started a riot with one of the housemen. Two older guys ran the place, one was tall and gray haired and one was shorter and white haired, well these guys were the steakhorses and Toothie got to them with one of his rants, something to do with no gamble.
Well the short guy goes into a side room and comes out with an arm load of bills all bindled up, enough to buy the Tajh Mahal. His face was beet red and I thougth he was going to have a heart attack, that was the high point of the whole session. Well vapros theres your closet storey and if SJD has a hundred Tooth stories Ive probably got a thousand.
Have a good evening all , George

SJDinPHX

Suspended
What's with these people who have stories, but won't tell them? Do we have some posters almost ready to come out of the closet? :heh:eek:[/QUOi vapros, I will tell about a session between SJD and the Tooth, it took place in early 1961 at the Circus Billiards in San Jose. The session lasted about 27 hours and after about 18 hours we were stuck about 3K. Our last money was tucked away in the toe of my shoe and after fifteen minutes of pleading in the rest room Toothie fired our last barrels back and turned the situation around.
While Toothie was on the comeback trail he almost started a riot with one of the housemen. Two older guys ran the place, one was tall and gray haired and one was shorter and white haired, well these guys were the steakhorses and Toothie got to them with one of his rants, something to do with no gamble.
Well the short guy goes into a side room and comes out with an arm load of bills all bindled up, enough to buy the Tajh Mahal. His face was beet red and I thougth he was going to have a heart attack, that was the high point of the whole session. Well vapros theres your closet storey and if SJD has a hundred Tooth stories Ive probably got a thousand.
Have a good evening all , George

Hi George,

You've been AWOL from the site for a while...What ya been up to ? I sure wouldn't argue you had more Tooth stories than I did..I do know you were around him a lot...I researched some of your/our old exchanges from a few years back, in Grady's Cochran thread..I honestly don't recall the particular match you are refering too..Sure don't mean it didn't happen..I'm not real sure what I had for breakfast most days.:rolleyes:
I see (from the old posts) that you were in with Tooth, when we made the 'Hoosegow' in Stockton..I had even forgotten that. As you say, he was always 'riot' material..We've been in more than a few awkward 'spots' together..;)

The little white haired guy (Al Kallman) you are refering to, became my partner after Dom (the tall one) sold me his half..Don't know if you heard, but not long after that, we got busted for bookmaking. (long story)...The book bust was nothing, but Al was in BIG trouble for some 'priors' back east, and before they could extradite him, he commited suicide. Huge loss, he was a great friend, and mentor.. Our whole families, were very close.

If your going to be checking in again..I would like to shoot you a few PM's (just personal stuff) Are you still around the bay area ?..Do you know Ron Lilles ?

I'll be in touch... If you want to, you can PM me your Email and phone #, and I'll give you mine.

Take care ! :)

Dick

Last edited:

Betdapot

Verified Member
I am kinda new posting here and I am unsure about the relationship that San Jose Dick has with other posters is all the comments in jest? One thing I have noticed is Freddy the Beard seems to add a lot to this site whether it be his stories or input on what would you do scenerio's? I don't understand everything I read from Dick seems to be an attack on people and there is no redeeming posts that I see. Is it all an old boys club written in jest? I really want Dick to contribute something worthwhile to this site he is a legend no doubt but I find myself turned off from this site by the attacks on other members reminiscent of Fast Larry on the old RSB board except Larry couldn't play like Dick

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I am kinda new posting here and I am unsure about the relationship that San Jose Dick has with other posters is all the comments in jest? One thing I have noticed is Freddy the Beard seems to add a lot to this site whether it be his stories or input on what would you do scenerio's? I don't understand everything I read from Dick seems to be an attack on people and there is no redeeming posts that I see. Is it all an old boys club written in jest? I really want Dick to contribute something worthwhile to this site he is a legend no doubt but I find myself turned off from this site by the attacks on other members reminiscent of Fast Larry on the old RSB board except Larry couldn't play like Dick

Freddy, Mr3C, onepockethacker don't like to admit that SJD was a great player, superior to them.
SJD took offense at all the braggadocio that they posted.
The result has regressed into a ridiculously juvenile banter from all sides.
It's really sad on everyone's part including people who don't post often and lurkers, as it takes away from the aims of the site.
Rod.

Betdapot

Verified Member
I just wish it wouldn't have gotten to this point San Jose Dick was a great player according to my grandfather (I am no youngster by any means) but the site is filled with great players that contribute and dont attack guys Like Pittsburgh Billy, John Brumback etc that contribute reason I lurked here is there was times AZ billiards became so redundant and this forum seemed to have a large amount of onepocket history and knowledge. Instead its kinda developed into little clicks that seem to genuinly dislike each other maybe Im wrong though and I just don't get "it"

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Freddy, Mr3C, onepockethacker don't like to admit that SJD was a great player, superior to them.
SJD took offense at all the braggadocio that they posted.
The result has regressed into a ridiculously juvenile banter from all sides.
It's really sad on everyone's part including people who don't post often and lurkers, as it takes away from the aims of the site.
Rod.

Androd; Obviously you really don't know anything at all about me
I NEVER boasted on this site about my play for money or tournament. But, since you brought it up, I'll give you the skinny.

I played for and won more money at my little "niche" game, than SJD has ever seen in his life time, that's #1, #2, I lost ONE time in my life playing 3 cush, 1988 in LA, a mexican beat 50 - 49 for $500.00 a game and would NOT play another game. NO ONE was a better MONEY player than me at 3 Cushion, period! #3, In tournament play, I hold a WORLD record for winning 62 CONSECUTIVE games without a loss, and winning 9 tournaments in a ROW in 1983, I've won over 100 tournaments in my life, but, always pefered to gamble!

NO ONE has ever come close! So, you wanted braggadocia, you got it in spades!

The humble Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
We can talk more about "superior" when somebody puts up a beat list with more names than I got up there. Talk is talk, brag is brag -- and real is something that you cant wish away.

Beard

"The result has regressed into a ridiculously juvenile banter from all sides.
It's really sad on everyone's part including people who don't post often and lurkers, as it takes away from the aims of the site."
Rod

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
It's really sad on everyone's part including people who don't post often and lurkers, as it takes away from the aims of the site."
Rod

Great post and I agree for what it is worth.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Rod

I agree, for the longest it was entertaining but recently it has turned real ugly, hopefully we all can agree to put this all behind us and go forward. All of us.:)

Dr. Bill

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Rod

Great post and I agree for what it is worth.

I agree, for the longest it was entertaining but recently it has turned real ugly, hopefully we all can agree to put this all behind us and go forward. All of us.:)

Dr. Bill

Right on, Rod and Bill and John.

^^^^ what they said
:)