Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bucktooth

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    [quote=suki;101834]
    Originally posted by SJDinPHX View Post

    It is funny you ask about Ron. I had not seen him for years until the last couple of big tournaments at CBC. If u want to know where he is now, I will tell you. He is at the Hardtimes in Sacramento playing in one pocket although he is out by now. If you friend Tom Suarez on Facebook he has coincidentally posted a picture of Ron at the table in the 1p tournament.
    Dick Cady, Fast Eddy's Billiards
    Thanks Dick...I knew Ron was living in Sac..I saw him last time I was up there. I was just asking Glee (George) if he knew him..I remember you as an old Cochran guy, from the old posts we've exchanged..Surprising we never met. I know your place is over on the coast, near Santa Cruz (I think) will try and make it over there, next time I'm in San Jose..Good to see you posting again.

    Dick Mc Morran (SJD)

    Comment


    • #77
      Just had nuttin to say

      Always lurking. It is amazing we never met but I think since you were a little older we missed each other. I left Cochran's basically when I joined the Air Force in 1959. Then when I came back to pool in Santa Clara(Red Carpet Billiards)our paths never crossed I guess. I know you were around playing Texas Tony I thought but then you disappeared. It would be great to host you sometime at Fast Eddy's. Regards.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by androd View Post
        Mosconi said sarge (MAC) was the best straight pool player of all the hustlers.
        The old timers said after Caras won the title in Milwaukee, Mac beat him playing for cash.
        Rod.
        It was early 1961 when Tooth played and beat Mac in Lawton OK. Tooths uncle, Harless ( Blackie) Cook played him in Oakland 17 or 18 years earlier.
        They played one pocket, but not the game we see today. To win you had to pocket 25 balls in your pocket, for instance you pocketed 3 balls in your inning you and you missed or played safe you spotted the balls back up and your opponent played his inning. Sort of like playing line up straight pool.

        Blackie was way ahead on the ball count. 22 to Macs 14. Its Macs shot and theres a ball about mid table a few inches off the center line towards Blackies pocket and and the cue ball is way up table on Macs side of the table.

        Mac steps up puffs his cheeks way up and cuts that ball backwards into his pocket and the cue ball broke the balls loose at the foot of the table and ran 11 and out. They were playing for $500.00 a game.

        Tooth heard this story many times during his childhood because his dad was there and had a piece of the action.

        Toothie sort of evened the score in Lawton but he didn't steal any thing, it was quite a battle and I glad to be there and be part of the action.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by glee View Post
          It was early 1961 when Tooth played and beat Mac in Lawton OK. Tooths uncle, Harless ( Blackie) Cook played him in Oakland 17 or 18 years earlier.
          They played one pocket, but not the game we see today. To win you had to pocket 25 balls in your pocket, for instance you pocketed 3 balls in your inning you and you missed or played safe you spotted the balls back up and your opponent played his inning. Sort of like playing line up straight pool.
          Glee-- Great story about Mac & Blackie. But I don't understand the scoring in that type of one-pocket. Was it a "no count" type inning, where they had to make X number of balls in order to be counted? Or did the player get to score all his balls per inning, but then he had to spot them up so the opponent got a chance at all of them? How many balls were lined up at a time?

          Sounds like an interesting game. A guy could even practice it himself.

          Cheers~ Doc

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
            Glee-- Great story about Mac & Blackie. But I don't understand the scoring in that type of one-pocket. Was it a "no count" type inning, where they had to make X number of balls in order to be counted? Or did the player get to score all his balls per inning, but then he had to spot them up so the opponent got a chance at all of them? How many balls were lined up at a time?

            Sounds like an interesting game. A guy could even practice it himself.

            Cheers~ Doc
            Hi Doc,

            The "no count" prop was not involed, any balls made during an inning would be spotted back up in a line behind the spot and tallied on the wire the same as straight pool. In Macs case if he had run 10 balls and missed or played safe he would spot up all 10 balls and because he already had 14 points on the wire his score would be 24 and needing a ball to win. Blackie needing 3 to get to 25 would be looking at 15 balls on the table with ten of them lined up in a row behind the spot.

            I heard the Macdonald -Blackie story a number of times over the years and all that was ever mentioned was the backwards cut and running out and no mention of the scoring system.

            A year or two ago Tooth discribed the session in detail and thats when I got filled in on the game and the scoring system.

            Have fun practiceing.

            George

            Comment


            • #81
              I just got a call from Bucktooth and he wanted me to post that George Glee pass away about a month ago.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by shooters1411 View Post
                I just got a call from Bucktooth and he wanted me to post that George Glee pass away about a month ago.
                I am very sorry to hear that. I don't think I ever met George, but after I while I feel like all of our regular members are like extended family. Rest in Peace, George, and thank you for gracing our forum for these last few years. My condolences go out to your family and close friends.
                "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                -- Strawberry Brooks

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                  I am very sorry to hear that. I don't think I ever met George, but after I while I feel like all of our regular members are like extended family. Rest in Peace, George, and thank you for gracing our forum for these last few years. My condolences go out to your family and close friends.


                  Likewise from me. Anyone who wasn't around in 06, 07 should click his name, glee and click the statistics button and go read all of his posts. There are only 68 so it would only take a few minutes. He had some good ones re Cochrans, Searcy, Don Watson, Lingo etc etc. I was going to only read the posts from glee but that was impossible. Once I went back in time I had to read so many of the other folks posts from those great oldie threads, so make sure to go check them out when you have the time...rip
                  "Born Into This"

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by glee View Post
                    Well vapros heres another Toothie story.
                    I wasan't in on this disaster, thank God. Toothie and another buddy of our`s Bill King a dice mechanic were scuffling around in some bars in San Fran and Toothie starts playing on a bar table with this little old man who`s drinking whiskey out of a water glass. Closeing time and the Tooth is stuck. Lets go to Cochoran`s says the the Toothie. At Cochorans Toothie and Bill go broke
                    When Bill told me this storey he said nobody on the rail said a peep, Toothie had a very small fan club there. nobody told the Thooth he was playing Glenn " Eufalagh' Womack.
                    Bucktooths uncle was atop player, in the early 50`s . he played Eddie Taylor 10 to 8 , Taylor lost. Played New york Fats even, Fats lost. Eufalagh played Blackie 8 to 6 and I dont know who won.
                    So vapros theres another closet storey
                    Have a good evening George
                    The fellow Bill King in your story, was he associated with Kings gambling supply house that was in L.A. ?

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Toncam View Post
                      The fellow Bill King in your story, was he associated with Kings gambling supply house that was in L.A. ?
                      I believe you're asking questions of the recently departed. Did you read the thread ?
                      Rod.
                      Rod.

                      Rodney Stephens.
                      (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by androd View Post
                        I believe you're asking questions of the recently departed. Did you read the thread ?
                        Rod.
                        I didnt read the whole thread.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by shooters1411 View Post
                          I just got a call from Bucktooth and he wanted me to post that George Glee pass away about a month ago.
                          Originally posted by Toncam View Post
                          The fellow Bill King in your story, was he associated with Kings gambling supply house that was in L.A. ?
                          Originally posted by androd View Post
                          I believe you're asking questions of the recently departed. Did you read the thread ?
                          Rod.
                          Originally posted by Toncam View Post
                          I didnt read the whole thread.
                          From post#81.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Who chooses who goes into the one pocket hall of fame?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X