One Pocket table/room conditions: wet/dry, slow/ fast, dirty/clean, lively/ dead?

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
I have noticed that I do not adapt easily to playing conditions vastly different than what I am used to. My usual frame of reference: reasonably clean table bed and balls, dry and fast bed (low friction), moderately lively and responsive rails. Conditions in roughly this range allow for the finesse game of one pocket that I greatly enjoy.

By contrast, I often travel to the midwest in the summer. One popular place I play at, it is humid and the tables are always a bit damp. The rails and bed are slow, the balls and bed are dirty. You go into the stack and the balls do not move or separate easy. Balls cling and bank weird. You have to pound the cue ball to move it around (to overcome the high friction). Finesse is hardly available. It can be very frustrating. I find myself trying to keep things simple, play with a more defensive set and herd balls to my pocket area. The truth is that I stuggle badly and no matter what level of stroke I happen to be in my game is dull and down a few balls from the conditions I prefer (I lose to guys I think I should beat as well). I never get comfortable or really enjoy this type of one pocket game.

Can anyone relate?

I'm wondering what guys here do to adapt/ adjust going either way. Any current or former road/travelling guys have suggestions for adapting/ adjusting? It really can be brutal.

Martin

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I have noticed that I do not adapt easily to playing conditions vastly different than what I am used to. My usual frame of reference: reasonably clean table bed and balls, dry and fast bed (low friction), moderately lively and responsive rails. Conditions in roughly this range allow for the finesse game of one pocket that I greatly enjoy.

By contrast, I often travel to the midwest in the summer. One popular place I play at, it is humid and the tables are always a bit damp. The rails and bed are slow, the balls and bed are dirty. You go into the stack and the balls do not move or separate easy. Balls cling and bank weird. You have to pound the cue ball to move it around (to overcome the high friction). Finesse is hardly available. It can be very frustrating. I find myself trying to keep things simple, play with a more defensive set and herd balls to my pocket area. The truth is that I stuggle badly and no matter what level of stroke I happen to be in my game is dull and down a few balls from the conditions I prefer (I lose to guys I think I should beat as well). I never get comfortable or really enjoy this type of one pocket game.

Can anyone relate?

I'm wondering what guys here do to adapt/ adjust going either way. Any current or former road/travelling guys have suggestions for adapting/ adjusting? It really can be brutal.

Martin

A common dilema for most crossroaders, Martin..Being a natural slob, I was never that fussy about clean balls and tables..You rarely found them anywhere, anyway..I think that may have helped in adjusting..I also always preffered slower tables, to lightning fast..I preffered dry to wet, but I tried to not let wet tables take me out of my game..If you let it be a big thing with you, yes, it can be brutal.

That being said, there were a lot of gaff tables out there, so if I knew I had a tough game, I would try and start out a little on the 'cheap' (if possible) and usually got a little loser, learning the table..Then, after I felt near my comfort level, if I liked the game, it was usually easy to raise it...At least that was my plan..Thankfully, seemed to work most of the time..:cool:

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Martin

Table wet? Don't try to draw your ball. Slow death.:D
Rod.

blindlemon

Verified Member
I'ts like being in the desert, don't fight it, take what it gives you. Remember your opponent is in the same struggle. SJD had good advice. It's close to the way I always approached it and it served me well.

JohnG