LIVE FREE STREAM: Efren Reyes VS Tony Pirone

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Well, it looks like I'm going out to Emeryville to stream or just to videotape Efren Reyes & Tony Pirone play one-pocket for two days.

If streamed, it will be free from 12pm - 8pm PST.

Format: Tony VS Efren / $150 Per Game / Even one-pocket

Tony is a professional poker player who started out as a pool-player and is no slouch to the game, but lets see where he stands with Bata on his own turf.

More about Tony: http://anthonypirone.blogspot.com/

WHERE: The Broken Rack in Emeryville, CA
WHEN: October 30th & 31st @ 12PM PST
LIVE STREAM: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/povpool

Thanks All!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Well, it looks like I'm going out to Emeryville to stream or just to videotape Efren Reyes & Tony Pirone play one-pocket for two days.

Tony is a professional poker player who started out as a pool-player and is no slouch to the game, but lets see where he stands with Bata on his own turf.

Thanks All!

Should be something to see. I just watched Reyes beat Dennis Orcullo at the US open. He came with some fantastic shots and is playing excellent.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Thanks All!

Tony is a good player and knows he has the worst of it but plays every champion that comes through that he enjoys playing with. He and Efren have played before and Efren has won a few games, but Tony likes to compete against the best.

There is a food court next to the pool room with about forty restaurants and every kind of ethnic food you can think of. You will enjoy the trip.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Tony is a good player and knows he has the worst of it but plays every champion that comes through that he enjoys playing with. He and Efren have played before and Efren has won a few games, but Tony likes to compete against the best.

There is a food court next to the pool room with about forty restaurants and every kind of ethnic food you can think of. You will enjoy the trip.

This is great to hear -- I used to play Tony regularly at Brighton Billiards when he lived back east. I.e. I used to get beat regularly by him :D

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Hitting the road in a few minutes in my 89 Blazer!

No chance of a speeding ticket on this ride... LOL

Off to Emeryville!

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Efren / Pirone

Efren / Pirone

I am at the Broken Rack now, waiting for Jason to let me in the door. Still a lot of set up to do before we fire up the show!

Just to let you all know, I am not sure how much of this show will end up on YouTube so please enjoy it while you can and please spread the word!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'll tell ya, that Pirone can play. I just watched him out-play Efren to beat him 3 in a row. Efren's still 8 ahead, and will obviously win, but Pirone plays pretty damn well. I'm wondering who taught, or coached him...:cool:

Do we have another budding Chris Gentile type???

Doc

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I got there a little after noon, watched a bit, and Pirone looked about my speed and lost every game I watched. He was 7 or 8 down around 2:30 when I left and I thought he'd be 15 down at least by now. Good to hear he started holding his own.

I may go back tomorrow. I got there too late to have Efren sign my Eddie Robin books and its less than an hour drive. Too bad Billy Palmer wasn't Efren's opponent, though.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I'll tell ya, that Pirone can play. I just watched him out-play Efren to beat him 3 in a row. Efren's still 8 ahead, and will obviously win, but Pirone plays pretty damn well. I'm wondering who taught, or coached him...:cool:

Do we have another budding Chris Gentile type???

Doc
I wish I could take credit, because I did play him about once a week for a year or so back at Brighton Billiards and he was still improving his One Pocket game at that time -- but he has probably learned a lot more since he has been out in CA where all that One Pocket talent is concentrated....

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't suppose you showed him any poker moves, too?:D Well anyway, you got him going on the right track.

I only watched him play 3 games, but what surprised me was his ability to leave Efren in the worst possible way-- not only area position-wise, but always seemingly frozen to a ball or a rail. Looked like Artie! It caused Efren to ponder his escape shots for several minutes at a time. Then oftentimes Reyes would have to shoot a trick shot to get outta jail.

Also, he wasn't afraid to shoot. I saw him make several tricky shots that took some ice water to make. Of course gambling at high stakes poker would make playing 1P for $150/game chump change. But still, I thought the guy did well.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
He can play, no doubt about it. But Efren still plays better.

It is pretty sweet when you can afford to play the best in the world and enjoy it as much as Tony does.

He truly is one of the good guys. Efren did not have a ride to the pool room so one of the young local Filippinos took him. I heard Tony gave him $100 for gas.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Day 2

Day 2

Tony expressed to me that he was very nervous at the beginning of the match. Literally shaking... I think once he settled in, he brought Bata a much tougher game.

Bata said to me during breakfast this morning that Pirone 'moves' well and that most of the time he was able to win games after missing a shot.

Today's another day... Let's see how quickly Pirone can 'settle in' and start 'moving' again.

Day 2 / Efren VS Pirone
Efren is up 23 to 5 games.
Play begins at 12PM PST

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/povpool

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Interesting blurb on Pirone from Nutblocker.com. My guess is that the guy is not going to sweat losing a few grand to Reyes: ~Doc

Tony Pirone (tpiranha)

Tony Pirone is a high stakes Limit Hold'em player with nearly $3mm in winnings who mainly plays $30-60 to $200-400. He started playing sitngos around 2002-2003 on Paradise Poker where he quickly moved up from $20 to $200 SNGs and also started playing on Party Poker. At the same time he begun playing Limit Hold'em, mostly $5-10 and $10-20. In 2005, he quit a job doing technical support in a bank to start playing poker full time and received a hosting job on Ultimate Bet, regularly played 40-50 hours a week for about 3 years at limits between $1-$2 and $30-60. In 2009, after the UB super user scandal, he moved to PokerStars. Starting with about a $20k in the 3 years since he has made over 1.5 million dollars. He has played approximately 6 million hands of Limit Hold'em, likely more than any other player in the world.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
POV Pool

POV Pool

Thanks to you for this two-day free stream, and the chance to see the finest one-pocket player ever and a game guy who was plenty willing to drop some money to play him. I would do the same, but not for that price! Thanks to both those guys.

However, I was disappointed in the commentary. Part of the time there was none at all, which is okay and understandable, but when they were on the air they frequently lost all contact with the match and the score, and they said 'like' so many times I muted them out more than once. It was similar to hearing a couple of valley girls fifty years ago.

But I will be there again next time, also. Thanks. :)

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Thanks to you for this two-day free stream, and the chance to see the finest one-pocket player ever and a game guy who was plenty willing to drop some money to play him. I would do the same, but not for that price! Thanks to both those guys.

However, I was disappointed in the commentary. Part of the time there was none at all, which is okay and understandable, but when they were on the air they frequently lost all contact with the match and the score, and they said 'like' so many times I muted them out more than once. It was similar to hearing a couple of valley girls fifty years ago.

But I will be there again next time, also. Thanks. :)

You get in a habit of saying that, Vap. I use to hang with guys that would make a statement and at the end of it they would always add-'Do you know what I'm saying?" . I detested it, but after so long I would be asking it myself way too much.. It gets to be a habit like using profanity. But I like commentary with the matches, if they are teaching or amusing. Otherwise I like music playing on another page like spotify which is unbeatable to me. By the way Full Tilt is already up and going again. I just downloaded the additional shit and changed my password like they told me to. Took less than five minutes, and my millions of play dough were right there like before they went down. Fun and challenging.

James Galati

Verified Member
Efren and Tony

Efren and Tony

Give Tony props for getting in the box with the greatest player that ever lived.Thanks for the stream.