CatFishBreath vs. S. Frost 2011 D.C.C.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Too many cookies to give out but even if I did you would have to give them back because Frost hit the 1 almost in the face but the cueball dribbled in the side pocket anyway. Frost hit the 7 with a fairly firm stroke but not a hard one:

View attachment 8662

Mr. Brumback then ran a very nice 5 & out, including banking the 11 cross-corner. Nice out John:).

Frost left John here, with BIH:

View attachment 8663

Just one more reason to ROLL the bank with follow. To insure absolutely cinching the ball, the cinchiest way to make the bank is not with draw or center ball, but rolling follow (any real banker knows that).

Beard

piggybank04

Verified Member
what about banking the one and leave the cb near the left corner, and try to shoot the one so it caroms off the two or four...... it might go in, or get close and he cant shoot offense from there......

Cory in dc

Verified Member
what about banking the one and leave the cb near the left corner, and try to shoot the one so it caroms off the two or four...... it might go in, or get close and he cant shoot offense from there......

I thought I was all alone in liking that shot. I guess everyone thinks the 7 is a hanger (but failed to see the scratch!).

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Just one more reason to ROLL the bank with follow. To insure absolutely cinching the ball, the cinchiest way to make the bank is not with draw or center ball, but rolling follow (any real banker knows that).

Beard

And every One Pocket player should know that - but some shoot them like they don't know it...:cool:

- Ghost

mosconiac

Verified Member
That's the shot I thought of. It develops 3 balls (1B, 2B, & 4B)...two of which are currently tied up & blocking future shots, reinforces your position by placing balls around your pocket, and puts the CB in a far corner. It won't make people gasp & applaud, but it will make your opponent sweat.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
piggybank04 said:

That's the shot I thought of. It develops 3 balls (1B, 2B, & 4B)...two of which are currently tied up & blocking future shots, reinforces your position by placing balls around your pocket, and puts the CB in a far corner. It won't make people gasp & applaud, but it will make your opponent sweat.

Thats also a shot I like and try it often. Most never see anything but the pocket. Good Eye to you both.
Rod.
P.S. I'd still shoot the 7 ball, hope I don't scratch. :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice run, JB!

But to go back-- I like the 1-ball bank. From this angle it looks like the shooter could easily use high left, which would be the correct english anyway. Neither the 1 nor the 11 would go, but the 1 could be left near the foot rail, which would leave a ball up, and a ball down-- with the CB up near the first diamond on JB's side. That's a much more difficult position for the opponent than are any of the 11-ball safety shots.

And while the 7 ball should be a fairly good choice for a top player, lesser players would be playing with fire if they missed, unless they hung the ball. And the CB would be in premium territory for the opponent.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Nice run, JB!

But to go back-- I like the 1-ball bank. From this angle it looks like the shooter could easily use high left, which would be the correct english anyway. (Art, the speed that the shot will be hit with should negate any english applied to the cue ball, in terms of "turning" the 1ball) Neither the 1 nor the 11 would go, but the 1 could be left near the foot rail, which would leave a ball up, and a ball down-- with the CB up near the first diamond on JB's side. That's a much more difficult position for the opponent than are any of the 11-ball safety shots. ( The ending position will allow the incoming player to move the 11ball without much problems, maybe the banked 1ball could be a problem, however, the bank must be struck well)

And while the 7 ball should be a fairly good choice for a top player, lesser players would be playing with fire if they missed, unless they hung the ball. And the CB would be in premium territory for the opponent. ( Not necessarily, depends on what english and stroke is used with the shot)

Doc

I saw the possibility of the scratch with choosing the 7ball bank, it could of easily been avoided. There were basically three different strokes to choose from when shooting the bank. Follow stroke, 1/2 tip below center ball, or a draw stroke. Of course there are different speeds you can use with all the strokes mentioned, depending on what you want to do with the cue ball.

A follow stroke would send the cue ball between the 1ball and 3ball, depending on the speed of the shot will determine how far up table you would like the cue ball to travel.

The center ball stroke will send the cue ball toward the 1ball, the speed of the shot and where the cue ball is struck will alter the direction (slightly)of the cue ball.

The draw stroke depending on how low you go with the hit on the cue ball will send the cue ball toward the side pocket, or into the side rail. Speed of the stroke will also play a major role in "accurately" playing the cue ball.

If I were shooting the bank on the 7ball I would use a follow stroke with the speed to go 3/4 ways up table with whitey. (taking away the return shot on the 8ball if I miss) This type of stroke and speed will open up the 2ball cluster and also put you in reasonably good line for the 11ball to continue with your run.

If I were more certain on pocketing the bank I would use a soft low ball and stay closer to the 11ball, this stroke will run the risk of possibly leaving a combination for my opponent if I should miss. Staying closer to the 11ball will increase my chances on running balls, however, that comes with a price, possibly higher than some may want to pay.;)

In regard to the ending position with both the 1ball bank, and the 11ball (Rod's choice) The 1ball bank can work out good but it's a tougher hit by far than the 11ball safety play. However, the 1ball bank can also not work out so good, you can leave your opponent in a position to safely take out the 11ball or the 1ball, weakening your position. Not true with the 11ball safety move. The 11ball option will for certain apply pressure on your opponent on his next trip to the table and quite possibly for many innings to follow. Like I mentioned before, applying pressure by controlling the cue ball and developing a threatening position is a proven way to break down your opponent, in the long run you will certainly benefit.

There are more reasons than what meets the eye (playing excellent offense) that you can attribute winning to. When we win playing pool with a controlled game constantly applying pressure, we may not be winning impressively, however, we are winning effectively.

Dr. Bill

Cloidius

Verified Member
There are more reasons than what meets the eye (playing excellent offense) that you can attribute winning to. When we win playing pool with a controlled game constantly applying pressure, we may not be winning impressively, however, we are winning effectively.

Dr. Bill

This is very strong.

piggybank04

Verified Member
i agree..... i threw out the bank on the one as one option of many......the 11 ball is best to me--very easy to execute, good starting point..... just like chess, you try to build on very small advantages, turning them into a winning position......

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
i agree..... i threw out the bank on the one as one option of many......the 11 ball is best to me--very easy to execute, good starting point..... just like chess, you try to build on very small advantages, turning them into a winning position......

Like puttin' pennies in the bank :D